UNOFFICIAL: Spacer's Toolkit 2

BobGreenwade

I made a mention of this in the 2007 Wish List thread, and got a somewhat more enthusiastic response. The description I gave was thus:

I've put together a bunch of stuff for fleshing out my own games, just to see what a STK2 look like. I've included (among many other things) more species-specific weapons, non-lethal "anti-personnel" weapons, forensic sensors, lots of cyberware, a few robots and androids, drugs and poisons, some Malvan and Andromedan stuff, expansions on starship technology, space stations, and animals. There's bits and pieces from the Zurites, Mandaarians, Xenovores, and Hzeel scattered throughout. Right now it's a little over 150 pages worth, all told.

This would, of course, include stuff from ATRI 12 (Zurite & Varanyi), ATRI 13 (Mandaarian), ATRI 14 (Malvan), and beyond (Andromedan and time-travel artifacts).

I'm thinking this might be a decent book to put out shortly after Cyber Hero if that's put out in 2007, especially since it's relatively heavy in cyberware and would also include bits of "old" technology (that is, stuff from post-contemporary but pre-Imperial days that's still hanging around).

I hadn't said much about this before now, since Star Hero supplements apparently haven't done well, but I'm wondering what the folks in this forum think.

Re: UNOFFICIAL: Spacer's Toolkit 2

All anyone needs to do to sell supplements is to put a skimpily clad female on the cover :)

But that being said - I understood that the previous edition of Cyber Hero didn't sell very well either, so I'm not sure if bringing it out would be a good idea or not.

I could see books on tech items or writeups of characters or planets being sellable - but they may be better in an electronic form. Either PDF or a database.

there definately is a need for more stuff on starships, so if you want to add me to the the contributors list I can add plenty I have done already, most of which has already been posted to the boards here, I have plenty of starship design ideas I have backburnered

also if we want to do more planets, I have plenty of ideas, and some pretty good generation software that goes a lot farther than star hero detailwise,

just tell me where to start if you want the help

I'm thinking this might be a decent book to put out shortly after Cyber Hero if that's put out in 2007, especially since it's relatively heavy in cyberware and would also include bits of "old" technology (that is, stuff from post-contemporary but pre-Imperial days that's still hanging around).

I hadn't said much about this before now, since Star Hero supplements apparently haven't done well, but I'm wondering what the folks in this forum think.

I think it's a marvelous idea! Go for it!

there definately is a need for more stuff on starships, so if you want to add me to the the contributors list I can add plenty I have done already, most of which has already been posted to the boards here, I have plenty of starship design ideas I have backburnered

also if we want to do more planets, I have plenty of ideas, and some pretty good generation software that goes a lot farther than star hero detailwise,

just tell me where to start if you want the help

You must have missed this thread :)

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40418

and

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=937865&postcount=15

I would buy a spacer's toolkit 2 just as you have described it, but I think it would probably have a wider appeal if it was less terran empire centric. I like TE, but many Star Hero players use other settings. I know I have used a lot of the TE-Race specific ships and items in STK1 and just changed a few things to use them in other settings. I guess thats the issue with a product for star hero, too generic and people won't like it, but too specific and others won't like it. Tough Dilemma

I was responding to Curufea. Heck' date=' I'd buy ALL the books, they just gotta publish them. ;)[/quote']

This is the problem with trying to do any sort of polls or informal research on the forums here. :D

You ask, which of these 8 Hero books would you like?

Answer: Yes. :D

What would you like to see in STK2?

Answer: Yes. :D

They should definitely expand the cyberware idea. On a side note, not to derail this post or anything, a friend of mine wants a "cyber-voice" that emits a shrill high pitched sound. The purpose of this is to make opponents pause to cover their ears. I thought of a couple of ways to do this:

1. +20 PRE, only for pressence attacks

2. Mind Control, Set Effect (cover their ears)

Any other suggestions?

All anyone needs to do to sell supplements is to put a skimpily clad female on the cover :)

But that being said - I understood that the previous edition of Cyber Hero didn't sell very well either, so I'm not sure if bringing it out would be a good idea or not.

I could see books on tech items or writeups of characters or planets being sellable - but they may be better in an electronic form. Either PDF or a database.

The previous version of CyberHero was a watered down half-baked job of converting ICE's Cyberpunk game. It was totally horrible. I was running a Cyberpunk Hero game at the time and they book had Nothing to help my campaign. It was the ONE book that I purchased from Hero Games that I actually felt was a waste of money. A good CyberHero Genre book written as well as FH or Star Hero will get my money.

BTW I recently purchased all 4 Star Hero books, and they are a great value.

Tasha :)

Yeah, I would purchase a Spacer's Toolkit II! Esp if it had more personal and Starship weapons. IMHO there are too many Energy weapons and Nukes and not enough Ballistic stuff (ie like Railguns, Non-nuke/Non-Antimatter Missles, things like that)

thats one thing thats never quite made sense, while nuke and anti-matter warhead missiles are nice, what if your a pirate and want to leave something left of your target to salvage? I would assume there are some kind of conventional warheads available, either HE or HEAP or kinetic energy, or even detonation laser warheads. your also going to get in a lot less trouble for carrying the equivilant of anti shipping missiles vs nukes or anti-matter

IMHO for pirates or commerce raiders, I'd be carrying a mix of warheads

I also differ in using fixed sensor arrays vs vpp's for sensors etc... unless you have a whole lot of very expensive sensors or your techs are next to godlike, you can't just cobble together something on the spur of the moment

Hi Bob: To be honest I don't think I would buy another gear book unless the cost was very low. I don't have an issue designing tech for my Star Hero campaign. If something comes up that I need then I design it myself. As my campaign is based on my own megaverse I know how I want things built. It would purely be for inspiration value only.

What is "very low"? I am thinking $10. Maybe only in PDF form?

Just some thoughts...

Must have Malvan Ultra Dreadnought writeup inside. And the writeup should be capable of shredding ATRI 11 ships like tissue paper.
After reading this, I went back and checked to see if I'd done this, and sure enough it was still lacking. So I did.

And yes, it can obliterate the entire fleet of Terran Super-Dreadnaughts in less than a minute. The same bank of weapons, if focused together, can also vaporize a planet or cause a sun to go nova. And it's about half the diameter of Earth's moon.

How's that? :D

After reading this, I went back and checked to see if I'd done this, and sure enough it was still lacking. So I did.

And yes, it can obliterate the entire fleet of Terran Super-Dreadnaughts in less than a minute. The same bank of weapons, if focused together, can also vaporize a planet or cause a sun to go nova. And it's about half the diameter of Earth's moon.

How's that? :D

Hmm...that sounds reasonable...does it come in black?

I'd be interested in a ST2, but only if it were more generic. I have very little interest in the actual Hero sci-fi settings, so I'd rather have something that could be applied to any setting :) Maybe more info on Mechs or fantastic space opera stuff ...

I'd be interested in a ST2' date=' but only if it were more generic. I have very little interest in the actual Hero sci-fi settings, so I'd rather have something that could be applied to any setting :) Maybe more info on Mechs or fantastic space opera stuff ...[/quote']There's definitely more "fantastic space opera stuff" in there, given that a lot of the devices come from the galaxy's more-advanced species. That same equipment could be used more openly in a Galactic Federation or Galactic Champions game, too (since technology in general is more advanced by then).

As for mecha, as much as I'd love to put a half-dozen or so in there Steve's already said that the Hero Universe won't have any mecha (other than a handful in the modern-day Champions setting) so any attempt on my part would probably be futile. :weep: If we could get him to change his mind I could even come up with a good, logical reason for them to be there.