movies/t.v. vs comic books

adidamps2

after seeing the last episode of smallville (were Clark goes to his father and turns back time to save Lonna Lang)and watching a few of the new comic based movies that have come out recently, it got me to wondering just how close to the comic book story line are some of these movies/t.v. shows coming? i have been out of the comic book loop for quite a while but some of the stories have me, well confused or quite agrivated. thanks all.

i guess some example's of what i'm talking about would be nice huh?

-like Lonna lang in Smallville? in the comics was there such a person?

-spiderman, doesnt doc oc have 4 mechanical arms? and the whole web shooting out of his wrists, doesn't it come out of a canister he created?

-Xmen story line...i have entirely to many questions and dont know were to begin..but xmen was never a strong suit for me any ways.

-Batman (the new one that just came out)- i dont remember him going to another country and learning to fight like that. and the batmobile??? hell the whole story and idea.

Re: movies/t.v. vs comic books

Yes, there was (and i think still is?) a Lana Lang in the superman comics.

I believe Doctor Octopus in the comics has 4 mechanical arms, but his normal legs and arms bring the count to '8' so it works :)

Originally it did, but recently Spider-Man may have had this changed as he 'gained' some powers in a story line called "The Other"

The X-Men movies definitely borrow some plot elements from the comics, but some of the characters are juggled in their temporial context. Example, Rogue in the comics didn't join the X-men until she'd absorbed powers and memories from Ms. Marvel (with disasterous results for both)

I think Batman Begins borrows a lot from "Batman: Year One" but you'd have to ask others about that. I'm not the expert when it comes to the guy with the pointy earred cowl.

so in super man there is a lona lang and a louse lane??? wierd?

lol yea i realise i said 8 arms..oops i meant 4 mechanical arms...oh ok so spidey now shoots web outta his wrists in the comics too.

yea the Xman and the members i thought was outta sinc but like i said my Xman history is a wee old and never really kept up with the whole story line.

-like Lonna lang in Smallville? in the comics was there such a person?

Most definitely. Lana and Clark were high school sweethearts until he revealed his secret to her and left Smallville. She came and went in his life for a while. She was even a bridesmaid in Clark's and Lois Lane's wedding. She was married to Pete Ross, had a child (premature), had that child stolen by a Lex Luthor-inhabited Doomsday, and is still around, AFAIK. Pete Ross was VP to Luthor's Presidency, and has recently taken over the Big House (I think...I'm behind on Superman stories). Lana is still around, but is (or already has) leaving Pete Ross.

-spiderman, doesnt doc oc have 4 mechanical arms? and the whole web shooting out of his wrists, doesn't it come out of a canister he created?

As Hermit said, Doc Ock has always had 4 mechanical arms, bringing his total to 8 appendages. Spidey has always used artificial webbing until very recently (not including when he wore the black-and-white-pre-Venom costume, which shot a version of webbing all it's own without need for cartridges). Note that "Ultimate Spider-Man" and the old "Spider-Man 2099" have/had natural web shooters.

-Xmen story line...i have entirely to many questions and dont know were to begin..but xmen was never a strong suit for me any ways.

Basic elements of the X-Men stories have been retained, as have the basic stories and personalities of the main characters, but to try and go point-by-point between the movies and the comics would be...well, pointless. The X-Men movies have compromised a great deal of story in order to get to the big screen. Too many characters to develop fully, so they cheat and give you a short abbreviated version that's more a nod of respect to the originals rather than a true adaptation.

-Batman (the new one that just came out)- i dont remember him going to another country and learning to fight like that. and the batmobile??? hell the whole story and idea.

There have been allusions to his training off and on, but I believe Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" storyline is considered "canon" these days. It's always been my understanding that Bruce Wayne did, in fact, travel a bit in order to fully train himself. The idea of "Batman Begins" is actually fairly faithful to the general storyline of "Year One", but of course it's been changed to meet on-screen time constraints and general pacing.

Couldn't tell ya about the Batmobile. It's had so many friggin' versions who knows what's canon anymore...

so in super man there is a lona lang and a louse lane??? wierd?

Lana Lang was Superboy's romantic interest. Supposedly he didn't meet Lois until he moved to Metropolis.

Lois and Lana have also been protrayed as rivals for Superman's affections.

http://supermanica.info/wiki/index.php/Lana_Lang

http://supermanica.info/wiki/index.php/Lois_Lane

Incidentally, there's a longstanding theme that most of the important women in Superman's life have the initials LL.

An example of this is the mermaid Lori Lemaris:

http://supermanica.info/wiki/index.php/Lori_Lemaris

Lana Lang was Superboy's romantic interest. Supposedly he didn't meet Lois until he moved to Metropolis.

Incidentally, there's a longstanding theme that most of the important women in Superman's life have the initials LL.

wow, ok...thanks for the story info. i feel so out of the loop in comics now a'days.

Batman has been all over the placed and trained with all sorts of people. Some of these are highlighted in "The Many Deaths of Batman" where a number of his tutors are dressed in batman costumes and killed. Henri Ducard, IIRC, was a french investigator of questionable moral standing who taught Bats a lot of his detective skills. Of course, in the film, this was just a pseudonym for Ra's Al Ghul.

Bats did not have a ridiculous huge tank of a vehicle in his early days - the first I can recall of the Battank was Batman: The Cult (it may have have appeared in Dark Knight Returns before hand, but this occurs later in terms of character time).

Batman's early costume was not armoured. In Batman Year One he used an ultra-light weight hang-glider, but there's no doubt the electro-firming cape from Batman Begins is much cooler!

Batman's early costume was not armoured. In Batman Year One he used an ultra-light weight hang-glider, but there's no doubt the electro-firming cape from Batman Begins is much cooler!

Indeed in one of the wonderful Neal Adams issues Batman is shot with a speargun: there's no armour to help him and he only avoids a serious wound by controlling his body to "catch" the projectile with his muscles (and he still takes a minor wound from it). Just the sort of pseudo-realistic nonsense I love about comics, such as The Hulk reversing direction mid-jump through sheer strength...

Batman's armoured costumes are one of the big letdowns in the films for me. I like the fact that he was an exceptional man in a costume, using his tremendous athletic abilities, rather than a fellow in a near-immobile suit of armour. At least the latest film manages a compromise of sorts.

The Spidey web-shooters in the wrist thing kind of bugged me in the movie, but only kind of. I understood the change because of the change in Origin Story.....Genetic-enhanced Arachnid as opposed to Radioactive Arachnid......... As for X-Men, lots of mish mash of story lines, but basic personalities of the characters are fairly spot on. I always remember Batman travelling around the world looking for the best Martial Arts Masters to teach him. Also the Origin of a Young Bruce falling in a cave and being scared by Bats is spot on. And the Bat in the house giving him the idea for Batman is spot on as well. Although his first outing as a "Hero" he just wore black and a ski mask.........then decided that the crooks weren't afraid of him, and fear would be his best weapon......thus the quote "Criminals are a superstitious lot. I must become something that will instill fear in them." I think the original batmobile was a Studebaker or something like that with a shield on the front of it.

and I agree with Blue....Clooney sucked as Batman....what was with the nipples on that bat suit.....that was stupid...

"Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot."

Spider-Man changed prior to "The Other" storyline. He was changed in the Straczyski book to bring him up to speed with the movies, which borrowed heavily from the Ultimate storyline/origin.

The X-Men was done with the characters that are the most recognized/popular at the time (sans Gambit). To be fair, most people really wouldn't be interested in a movie about Cyclops, Angel, Beast, Iceman and Marvel Girl. Wolverine was the focal point/perspective the viewers were given as a look into the lives of the X-Men.

And don't blame Clooney for Schumacher

Incidentally' date=' there's a longstanding theme that most of the important women in Superman's life have the initials LL. [/quote']

Not just women - don't forget Lex Luthor, certainly one of the, if not *the*, most important man in his life (obviously not in the same way). And wasn't Superman's name originally spelled Kal-L? But I'm glad someone else remembered Lori.

I would argue that Lori Lemaris was the true love of Kal-El's life. Not only did he reveil his Secret Identity to her (only to then discover she was a telepath and already knew), but he also offered to give up being Superman for her.

She's "the one who got away" in more ways than one.

The silly string shooters is IMO much more satisfying than the juicy wrist-emissions.

Absolutely. The artificial web shooters are very cool, and allow IMO for a lot more interesting options and story elements, as well as being an obvious showcase for Peter's scientific talents. And it's such a great design.

How many times has he re-formulated the webbing to get a particular effect? Adding in anti-magnetic properties, adding compounds to make Rhino's armor brittle, etc etc. Much cooler IMO than something like "I guess I'll eat a lot of garlic so my organic webs will hurt vampires." ;)

Absolutely. The artificial web shooters are very cool, and allow IMO for a lot more interesting options and story elements, as well as being an obvious showcase for Peter's scientific talents. And it's such a great design.

How many times has he re-formulated the webbing to get a particular effect? Adding in anti-magnetic properties, adding compounds to make Rhino's armor brittle, etc etc. Much cooler IMO than something like "I guess I'll eat a lot of garlic so my organic webs will hurt vampires." ;)

The main thing that will be missing is the "Oh no! I'm running out of web fluid!" bit that happens so often.

The main thing that will be missing is the "Oh no! I'm running out of web fluid!" bit that happens so often.

That bit I think can still happen. There's not going to be an unlimited amount of biomass available for webs at any given time, and I think he could be run out faced with extended use and no time to rest/eat.

Of course, for those versions that had web-shooters and now have organic webs, he could always use BOTH if we wished. Modify the shooters not to interfere with the organic webs, and up your flexibility even more. Of course, I doubt that will actually happen in-comic.

And that's the problem. While Peter is a smart guy, having a youngster suddenly bust out the formula for an awesome adhesive and a launcher for it is a bit implausible for someone whose powers don't include super INT.