JEFFVERSE - Jeff T's name quest

Starlord

Ok. My world's version of the Fantastic Four are the Millenium Knights - they gained their powers from Project: Millenium and are magnificently pictured by our own Storn Cook. I have 150 pages of stories written about them, but want to take a break from them a bit and move on to the Vanguard - the name for my world's JLA/Avengers team. I need help fleshing out some names for organizations and characters having to do with them. The characters and organizations will also be rendered by Mr. Cook. I will give rep to the best entries.

1. Name for Vanguard's supermage: black male, uses magic from plane of shadows and dark energy, brings Vanguard together due to threat of soon-to-be-arriving former master - Negathos; the supermage has slightly 'dark' aura to him but is a decent guy

2. Name for government agency that oversees supercrime, monitors super activity, sponsors superteams, etc.: I started with MetaWatch, but I don't know about that one...seems a little shaky. Of course, cool acronyms are acceptable, as long as they aren't cheesy or over-the-top.

3. Name for evil organization that stays away from the serpent or Nazi motif. Again the cool acronym thing applies.

More to come later. :)

Unless nobody responds, then I'll leave you all alone. Don't want to be accused of spamming or anything.

Re: JEFFVERSE - Jeff T's name quest

The mage could take a "defensive" type name and call himself Warder.

as for the orgs...

ANGEL for the good guys? It would be a cool acronym if I could come up with them. :)

For the villains what is their mo? Are they a bunch of beligerant idiots with some fire power and over the counter body armor? They could be called the Dark Legion.

If they're self deluded technosavants who think that the only way to elevate the world is to take it over they could call themseves the Technocracy.

I once used a totally generic agency and called them the Fifth Power. I was young and needed the money.

For your supermage, I've always liked Umbra as a shadow-related name. If you look it up I think you'll find that it's pretty cool. :cool:

Since we originally got that whole "superman" thing from Nietzche, and the German term is ubermensch which can also be translated "overman," I always thought that a logical name for a supers-monitoring organization would be Oversight.

I would like a bit more info about your villainous org before I offer any name suggestions: history, goals, resources, modus operandi, etc. :)

1. Nimbus

Dr. Dark

Nox

Mr. Nox

Nocturne

2. Going with Enforcer's suggestion. American National Guardian Enforcement and Logistics=A.N.G.E.L.

Other ideas:

The Valhalla Project

C.H.I.R.O.N. (Committee for Heroic Indoctrination, Relations, and Organized Networking)

3. Animal Motiff-

"The Web"

(We like Spiders, not snakes ;) Otherwise very much like VIPER )

Facist/racial supremacy style-

Nuevo Aztlá¡n

(Originally a group of mostly Mexican crimelords seeking to expand their enterprises north, the group has grown and expanded into truly believing that as the sons of the Aztecs, all of Central and North America is "rightfully" theirs. )

In a simular light' date=' [b']Penumbra[/b] as he stands BETWEEN the shadow and the light.

Ooo, now that's just plain cleverer than me. Also Reppable. :D

Since we're tossing out various villain org suggestions, I did use an ancient Illuminati-like group manipulating world affairs behind the scenes. Those few who knew of their existence, called them The Unbroken Chain. Linked to the past, and with links to many power-groups around the world, holding them in secret chains of bondage. The linked chain was their symbol; if you wanted to make some of their activities more overt you can use that to identify their operatives.

Hey, I kinda like the ANGEL idea.

- Nimbus isn't creepy enough for me, plus it also means a type of 'halo' and I also tend to think of clouds when that comes up. :D

As for the villainous organization - I dunno. I was going to use 'reverse engineering' on that one. As in 'come up with a cool name and work backwards on the motive, history, outfits, etc.'

Keep 'em coming! :)

I always thought that a logical name for a supers-monitoring organization would be Oversight.

I can just see it now....

"What? there are SUPER POWERED BEINGS ON THIS PLANET?!?!"

"Yes sir, it seems to be true."

"HOW on Earth could we possibly have missed that???"

"Seems to be an oversight, sir."

"OVERSIGHT???"

1. Shadowmancer

2. Department of Extranormal Activities Response (DEAR) (kinda silly, I know, but I liked it)

I always wanted something random like "Department H" of Alpha Flight in my stories so I once wrote the "B Network" into a story as a shadowy government agency who worked both for and (on very rare occasions) against superheroes based on criteria that I never fully developed or explained. Nor did I reveal the reason behind the name...mainly cuz I didn't know it. In short, "B Network" was about the only thing I knew about them. I just liked the name.

3. The Hierarchy, Legion, The Circle (or Dark Circle), The Elite, Primal Force

Umbragean

SHROUD

Super Human Response and Observation United Department

MOGUL - Haven't figured out the letters yet.

Masters Of Grand and Unbelievable Larceny.

Masters Of Galactic and Universal Larceny

Larceny was like the only thing I could think of.

4. Dr. Doom/Dr. Destroyer/Mechanon character - brilliant technological genius moved into the field of nanotech. He has 'become' his armor to at least some extent thru nanotechnology. It is keeping him alive and allowing him to control other machinery. Wants to create a world of cyborgs, mixing man and machinery to create a perfect race.

PS: Didn't someone create a thread awhile back to figure out cool names for fictional cities...cuz I need one of those too. :)

4. Dr. Doom/Dr. Destroyer/Mechanon character - brilliant technological genius moved into the field of nanotech. He has 'become' his armor to at least some extent thru nanotechnology. It is keeping him alive and allowing him to control other machinery. Wants to create a world of cyborgs' date=' mixing man and machinery to create a perfect race.[/quote']

Manchine. (I know, I know)

Interface.

I/O.

Biode.

Gotta agree with the Umbra/Penumbra crowd for the magus. First thing I thought of when I read the OP.

4. Dr. Doom/Dr. Destroyer/Mechanon character - brilliant technological genius moved into the field of nanotech. He has 'become' his armor to at least some extent thru nanotechnology. It is keeping him alive and allowing him to control other machinery. Wants to create a world of cyborgs, mixing man and machinery to create a perfect race.

PS: Didn't someone create a thread awhile back to figure out cool names for fictional cities...cuz I need one of those too. :)

Automaton

Synergy

Hybrid

Crucible

1. Name for Vanguard's supermage: black male' date=' uses magic from plane of shadows and dark energy, brings Vanguard together due to threat of soon-to-be-arriving former master - Negathos; the supermage has slightly 'dark' aura to him but is a decent guy[/quote']

Tenebrous (or variation on that). Meaning dark, shadowy, obscure. Perhaps use the Latin original.

2. Name for government agency that oversees supercrime' date=' monitors super activity, sponsors superteams, etc.: I started with MetaWatch, but I don't know about that one...seems a little shaky. Of course, cool acronyms are acceptable, as long as they aren't cheesy or over-the-top.[/quote']

Department of Metahuman Affairs. Boring, but sounds like what a beaurocrat would come up with.

3. Name for evil organization that stays away from the serpent or Nazi motif. Again the cool acronym thing applies.

Stealing --- um, borrowing --- from Lord Liaden: CATENA. It's Latin for "chain". This would be an acronym, though I haven't figured out what for.

4. Dr. Doom/Dr. Destroyer/Mechanon character - brilliant technological genius moved into the field of nanotech. He has 'become' his armor to at least some extent thru nanotechnology. It is keeping him alive and allowing him to control other machinery. Wants to create a world of cyborgs' date=' mixing man and machinery to create a perfect race.[/quote']

Dr. Mech. Or, possibly, Dr. Bot.

Dr. Destroyer types are always coming up with intricate plans, so his name could be Machination.

If your government organization is supposed to be secretive, don't refer to it as anything at all except for some esoteric bit like H12 (which might be the number for the office in which part of it resides, or the designation of the original members - Bram Heller's 12 recruits for instance - which may or may not now be obsolete). Drop references to it here and there and even H12 can become a mysterious and intriguing name.

And finally for the shadow mage, well, yeah, Penumbra pretty much.

"I didn't forget. I just wasn't listening." - RC