Sick of Wolverine

L.Craig

Re: Sick of Wolverine

I have to admit, I haven't heard of Wolverine killing hundreds of people - what were the circumstances?

I'm trying to forget the story to be honest. Wolverine had been found badly hurt I think and was on a US warship for treatment. He recovers and is in brainwashed mode. After cutting his way through some soldiers, I think he blows up the boiler to sink the ship. I forget exactly why.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Think this is the story arc in Woverine's own mag where Hydra trips a doomsday program in Woverine's well brainwashed mind (orginally put there by Project X / Shield) and turn him into there agent. The next arc is where Shield grabs Woverine and reworks the brainwashing and turns him loose on hydra, Kill lots of other people over there. The current arc is where all the brainwasing is now gone and he remembers his whole life and no one can figure out what he is doing...

Which X-man did he kill?

Northstar apparently...although a mutant, I don't know that he was ever actually an X-Man.

Personally, I like Wolverine in the movies...he comes off more vulnerable and Magneto and Prof. X keep him in his place.

I think he's written as too strong a character in the X-Men - they are better as an evenly distributed ensemble book.

I've been tired of Wolverine since about 1985. Back then he was considered "edgy" (is that a pun' date=' or a double entendre?), but nowadays he's about as unusual as girls getting tattoos or pierced navels. "Superhero with bad attitude kills people." *Yawn*[/quote']

While Wolvie has worn thin, I still like tattooed girls. Odd...

Northstar apparently...although a mutant' date=' I don't know that he was ever actually an X-Man. [/quote']

He was. Joined ther teasm around Uncanny #415 or so. He wasn't on active duty very often, but he was teaching classes for a while at the institute. Buisness classes if I recall.. or was it financing?

He's also not exactly "dead" at the moment...

For me, my feelings for Wolverine are the same as my feelings for Batman. In Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League/Justice League Unlimited and Batman Begins, Batman is an awesome character who I really enjoy. The comicbook version however, really needs to be declared a super villain and pounded into the dirt.

Likewise, in X-Men: Evolution and the original X-Men cartoon Wolverine and the movies, Wolverine is a great character that I loved to watch the adventures of. Sometimes in the comics he can still be that way, mostly however he needs to be forcibly retired for a decade or so.

If you do a Wolverine C for Champions, you can do one that isn't crazy. I've played a Wolverine type C for years. Mine hasn't got a enraged, but he does have the attitude, but isn't kill them just to kill.

But I do agree that in the comics he has outlived he's utility as a C. Same as the Batman. The Batman is a C that needs to be delt with and let's just say that would be better for a different Thread.

My take is that I like Wolverine. He's a great character when used correctly for a few reasons:

1. Mysterious past

2. Attitude

3. He's often the rebel of the team

4. Empowerment- let's be honest, haven't we all wanted to be like Wolverine just once?

The big problem is that he's been used too much by too many writers which has not only created boredom with the character but confusion with all of the multiple interpretations. There hasn't been an effort to keep the character consistent that I can see.

Personally, the biggest problem I have right now is the terrible continuity of Logan. He killed tons of people when he was under Hydra control yet has been welcomed back with open arms. I'm sorry but "I was mind controlled" just doesn't cut it. I don't think anyone could ever trust him again or be comfortable around him. Heck, he's still in the mansion despite having killed Northstar- you can't tell me the student could see him and not run screaming in the other direction.

Edit: I just thought of something. Henry Pym gets more grief even today for having hit the Wasp once after he was exposed to mind altering chemicals thatn Wolverine does for being a mind controlled assassin who killed hundreds. WTH?

when a woman is abused or raped in a comic/movie/tv show, it gives the other characters the liscence to go and "save the day" without any grey areas. It's also a cheap and easy way to add a "dimension" to any female character... which is why some huge rediculous amount of comic heroines have been raped, beaten, had pregnancies caused from something akin to supernatural rape... It's retarded.

Rape & spoucal abuse = bad btw.

How did they bring Colossus back?

He was always my favorite X-Man. :)

I missed that issue of Astonishing X-Men. I think it had something to do with SHIELD or whichever bad guy they were fighting at the time. They might've cloned him or some such, but I couldn't tell ya for sure, I just know that he's very much alive.

Yeah they brought Colossus a while ago. Last time I checked' date=' however, he had no memories and no super powers either and was living as a comic book artist. But maybe that has changed.[/quote']

Ummm, that was in the late 80s/early 90s around the same time Gambit and Jubilee debuted. :nonp: Dude, things have SO changed since then. So much so that I'm not really sure where to begin explaining how much they've changed. Er....no offence.

Magic is indeed NOT Illyana Rasputin, though I know nothing about how someone else took up that mantle.

Collosus is alive, courtesy of a well-written story arc by Joss Whedon. A scientist claims she can "cure" mutancy. Beast is considering taking that step. The team decides to investigate the facility and Shadowcat discovers an area deep, deep, deep below the facility and manages to find the cell that hold Collosus.

I won't go into more without my copy handy because I'm certain to get facts wrong. I'll just say that I think it's great that SHE would be the one to find him and that the story did not feel clunky or awkward like ressurection stories often do.

Ummm' date=' that was in the late 80s/early 90s around the same time Gambit and Jubilee debuted. :nonp: Dude, things have SO changed since then. So much so that I'm not really sure where to begin explaining how much they've changed. Er....no offence.[/quote']

No worries. Now that I think about it, that's about when I stopped reading monthly comics.

I grew tired of him by around the mid-80's myself. Too much exposure. I even had to put a mandatory "no Wolverine-types" for campaigns I was GMing. The hack-n-slash characters work fine for AD&D games but not true four-color Champions campaigns of which my world was noted for having.

Embarassing moment #271. The GM asks for characters for his new game which is going to be a bit less 4-colour than the previous campaigns

The 4 players - without any consultation or post modernist irony - duly submit 4 characters whose major powers were slashy claws and regeneration*. We called them the "slasher team"... :nonp:

Cheers, Mark

*Hey, at least I had a gadgeteer/detective thing, going on the side:o

I'm almost certain the name of Magik was taken up again in a limited series and that Illyana's Soulsword and possibly other powers were passed on to Amanda Sefton somehow.

The current Magik is Amanda Sefton (Nightcrawlers ex-girlfriend/adoptive sister). She's the absolute ruler of Limbo. However, Nightcrawler actully carries the Soul Sword at the moment.

Illyana Rasputin did make an appearance in the 616 universe a year or two ago, but she was from an alternate earth and was a member of the Exiles. Oddly, she lost her soul sword to Archangel.

Legions of addoring fans that would otherwise never touch an Avengers book.

Who maybe somewhat torqued by the many appearances he hasn't made :)

However, in terms of skills, abilities and connections, he's actuly got a lot more going for him then MANY former Avangers.

If only those were used. As it stands, his major contributions seem to be belching, hitting on married women, and then vanishing when he could be useful on a trip to Japan. :)

Doesn't much matter anyhow. His appearances are supposed to get drasticly cut in the near future. If I recall, they want to limit him to his books, Astonishing X-Men and occasional appearances in New Avengers.

Clearly, Stark is paying him too much... but at least that makes sense as the man can't clone himself. :)