Old vs new: Obsidian vs Ironclad

Boll Weevil

Re: Old vs new: Obsidian vs Ironclad

Between the 250-point Obsidian in the BBB, and the 350-point Ironclad in the Champions genre book, I'd have to give it to Ironclad. He's actually a pretty efficiently-designed brick, with good CV in HTH, and his Find Weakness is pretty devastating.

Against the 450-plus-point Obsidian in Champions Universe First Edition, I'd say that Ironclad is overmatched. That Obsidian is much stronger and tougher overall than Ironclad, has comparable HTH skill, has Lack of Weakness IIRC, and his Martial Art "Hiadman" makes him tough to hurt and very effective in close.

Agree with the "which version of Obsidian?" line of reasoning.

The 250-pt. Obsidian suffers from buying a significant chunk of his STR as Growth and Density Increase, so he's not only 100 pts. weaker, he's inefficiently built.

The 450-pt. Obsidian still has a big chunk of his points tied down in Growth and Density Increase, but he's still got enough extra points on top of that to make up for the handicap.

In terms of sheer fanboyish "who do I prefer?" style, Obsidian all the way, I like the "Brick scientist" schtick.

I'd give the win to the 450 point Obsidian but it's not as easy as one would think. Obsidian doesn't have lack of weakness so if Ironclad gets the find weakness roll Obsidian becomes a 3-hit target. Obsidian goes first but they have the same CV with levels. So with the Find Weakness they're both 3-hits to out. It just comes down to luck of rolling and combat maneuvers like Block. If Obsidian misses once and Ironclad doesn't, Ironclad wins.

Based on that I'll assume a 400 point Ironclad from the CU Update will probably kick Obsidian's butt. :)

In terms of sheer fanboyish "who do I prefer?" style' date=' Obsidian all the way, I like the "Brick scientist" schtick.[/quote']

Yes, Obsidian is a more rounded character than Ironclad, particularly the more experienced version. I'm also fond of his "noblesse oblige" attitude toward being a hero. And I do like the idea of an entire alien race that's notably superhuman - that concept has largely been excised in the Fifth Edition Champions Universe, I guess to make it more compatible with the Star HERO line.

I've also had enough of "alien gladiators" in Champions. We currently have Ironclad, Herculan and Firewing, and past incarnations included Quasar, Myrmidon, the Champ, and the Remover. There's nothing wrong with the concept in itself, but repetition of it over the years has taken the bloom off the rose for me, and I admit that that colors my reaction to Ironclad. Well, that and his ruby slippers. :lol:

Going by the writeups, I'm afraid Ironclad would mop the floor with low-end Obsidian, and battle high-end Obsidian to a standstill. Which is a shame since I feel that Obsidian got a better concept, more striking looks, and a cooler name to boot. And I second LL - the concept of a superpowered alien race is a lovely comic book classic.