Tuala Morn

lgguy

Re: Tuala Morn

How about I say - "early versions of the Germanic people" instead?

The Visigoths were but one tribe of the proto-Germanic people. The Saxons another. Other Proto-Germanic tribes include Ostrogoths (also known as Eastern Goths), Cimbri, Teutones, Burgundii, Angles, Lombard, Alemanni, and Vandals.

The Cimbri and Teutonic tribes were the first to give Romans a hard times around 103BC. The Ostrogoths and Vandals were the first to pose a major threat however, somewhere in the 1st cent. BC.

Back to Vikings;

Are the Vulkrings going to be responsible for a TM city, like the real world Vikings are responsible for the site where Dublin sits, or are the similarities not that exact?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Vulkrings going to be responsible for a TM city, like the real world Vikings are responsible for the site where Dublin sits, or are the similarities not that exact?

The similarities are definitely not that exact. TM isn't a historical setting or even close to one; it's a setting intended to have a particular sort of Fantasy "feel." By way of comparison, think of the differences between GRG's Sengoku (high degree of historical accuracy, as game supplements go) and AEG's L5R (no history, lots of "feel"). What I'm angling for is more in the nature of an L5R with an Irish/Celtic/Northern European "feel."

Is it for TM planned/an option/ with how much effort possible to add in this worldthe gothic, saxon, indian etc äquivalents to the celtic of TM?

There'll be a brief chapter touching on areas beyond Tuala Morn. It will mostly focus on a few nearby Northern European-esque areas, and the descriptions won't be too extensive -- very much an "overview" sort of thing. Anything beyond that's not going to get more than a paragraph or two, at most.

I'd be happy to detail the rest of the setting, but the TM book has to sell well enough first. ;)

The similarities are definitely not that exact. TM isn't a historical setting or even close to one; it's a setting intended to have a particular sort of Fantasy "feel." By way of comparison' date=' think of the differences between GRG's [i']Sengoku[/i] (high degree of historical accuracy, as game supplements go) and AEG's L5R (no history, lots of "feel"). What I'm angling for is more in the nature of an L5R with an Irish/Celtic/Northern European "feel."

Cool, I like the idea of Feel in a setting - allows one to deviate more from "history" ...

And since I want to see more products from this line:

Everyone must purshase TM immediately upon release so Hero sells about before the ink even dries.

Side note

After reading the opening lines of Tuala Morn on the soon to be released page, I began thinking back to a series of books I read that some of you may wish to check out.

The arthurian legends series by Bernard Cornwell. The Winter King, Enemy of God, and Excalibur.

Bernard is a historical fiction writer and his style is very light and enjoyable. The ideas of the characters and their lore is what makes the books a joy to read. The idea that magic really isn't magic, but circumstance and superstition.

I have a feeling that if you havn't already read these books, everyone here would really enjoy them.

• 3 weeks later...

There'll be a brief chapter touching on areas beyond Tuala Morn. It will mostly focus on a few nearby Northern European-esque areas, and the descriptions won't be too extensive -- very much an "overview" sort of thing. Anything beyond that's not going to get more than a paragraph or two, at most.

I'd be happy to detail the rest of the setting, but the TM book has to sell well enough first. ;)

I'll do my part. Looking forward to buying the book and hope you do more with the time period. Currently I'm limping along with a twenty-something year old 2nd-age of Atlantis game book for my prehistoric-but-suggestive-of-historical-cultures-to-come fantasy setting.

You always have proto - Angles' date=' Jutes, Celts, Picts, Saxons and Goths. No need to just limit yourself to Vikings.[/quote']

Jutes! Jutes! How come all we hear about are the Jutes? Why do we never hear about the Flaxes or the Sisals??

gd&r

I'll do my part. Looking forward to buying the book and hope you do more with the time period. Currently I'm limping along with a twenty-something year old 2nd-age of Atlantis game book for my prehistoric-but-suggestive-of-historical-cultures-to-come fantasy setting.

That sounds like the book from the now-defunct Bard Games, which also published the original Talislanta. A very fine tome and setting, particularly for the era.

You might be interested to know that a newer game publisher, Morrigan Press, acquired the rights to that property and has recently released Atlantis: The Second Age, a spiffy update of the classic world book. It uses the Omni System, based on the game mechanics from Talislanta Fourth Edition. If it sells well Morrigan plans to publish further world expansions. ;)

Jutes! Jutes! How come all we hear about are the Jutes? Why do we never hear about the Flaxes or the Sisals??

Frankly, if I had the choice to call myself a Sisal (how whimpy does that sound?!), a Flax (you make cloth out of that), or a Jute, I'd rather be a macho-sounding Jute. :D

Frankly' date=' if I had the choice to call myself a Sisal (how whimpy does that sound?!), a Flax (you make cloth out of that), or a Jute, I'd rather be a macho-sounding Jute. :D[/quote']

You make cloth out of all of them. Rope too.

Tho I didn't cotton :D to what sisal is till I used dictionary.com.

He forgot hemp. :joint::snicker:

That sounds like the book from the now-defunct Bard Games' date=' which also published the original [i']Talislanta[/i]. A very fine tome and setting, particularly for the era.

You might be interested to know that a newer game publisher, Morrigan Press, acquired the rights to that property and has recently released Atlantis: The Second Age, a spiffy update of the classic world book. It uses the Omni System, based on the game mechanics from Talislanta Fourth Edition. If it sells well Morrigan plans to publish further world expansions. ;)

That's the one!

Thanks for the tip, I am now the proud owner of the new electronic edition!

Because barbarian tribes specializing in creating thread and making cat scratching posts' date=' respectively, inspire far less fear and survive far less time than ones specializing in brutal warfare. ;)[/quote']

Cat scratching posts??? :confused:

You make cloth out of all of them. Rope too.

Correct!

Tho I didn't cotton :D to what sisal is till I used dictionary.com.

Ouch!

He forgot hemp. :joint::snicker:

No, I skipped it to avoid the inevitable stoner jokes. ;)

Oh Woe! Woe!

The army of the Hemps is upon us!

We must flee!

Nah, doesn't track.

You know, that's my reaction to "England invaded by the Jutes." I keep thinking "How many acres of jute does it take to invade England?"

:winkgrin::D

Let me know how that is.

Pretty good, I'm not really interested in the rules, more in the geography and ancient civilizations. Mediterranea is now Europa, and there is more on cool First Age Atlantean technomagic devices: submarines, flying platforms that look like manta rays, fire lances, that kind of thing. I'm stealing ideas from the Turakian Age to apply to the Citadel of Tok in Draconea. It is a good fit for my campaign, which features balloons, black powder, and steam power.