Greek Titans?

Lightray

I'm considering using the 12 Greek titans in my Champions game, but am having problems finding enough information to flesh them out -- they're rather minor figures in mythology for the most part.

Can anyone add to the following?

- Cronos & Rhea - agricultural/pastoral, father & mother

- Oceanos & Tethys - ocean & sea

- Hyperion & Phoebe - sun & moon

- Iapetus & Themis - artifice (?) & the earth

- Coeus & Mnemosyne - ??? & memory

- Crius & Theia - ??? & ???

I know Prometheus is the son of Iapetus and (probably) Themis, so father may be like son.

And Coeus is the father of Hecate, which is why I'd arbitrarily matched him with Mnemosyne.

But these two and Crius & Theia don't seem to show up in any myth I'm aware of.

Can anybody help out here?

Try a search engine...

Google gave some interesting responses, though none that were too terribly useful.

I'm intrigued by "Thea". A goddess named "Goddess". In the absence of more useful information, I would stick some of the attributes of Hera, Demeter or someone on to her.

Hmm. Probably Demeter.

Alan

Atlas was another son of Iapetus. Confusingly, the children of the titans are called titans -- except when they're the gods (i.e., the children of Cronos + Rhea).

AFAIK, Epimetheus only shows up in the Pandora myth.

I think there were a few other, minor, titans mentioned here and there, too. It may have been titans who piled one mountain on top of another in order to rival Olympus and defy Zeus.

There wre Twelve titans, children of Uranus and Gaia

Men: Coeus, Crius, Oceanus, Hyperion, Iapetus, Cronus

Women: Thea, Rhea, Themis, Mnemosyne, Phoebe, and Tethys.

Oceanus - Water

Chronus - Time

Mnemosyne - Memory? (Ironically, I can't recall)

Phoebe - Moon

Coeus

Titan of intelligence. Father of Leto.

Thea

The wife of her brother Hyperion, Theia gave birth to Helios (sun), Eos (dawn), and Selene (moon). She is the goddess from whom light emanates and considered especially beautiful.

Epimetheus

Epimetheus was a stupid Titan, whose name means "afterthought". He was the son of Iapetus. In some accounts he is delegated, along with his brother Prometheus by Zeus to create mankind. He also accepted the gift of Pandora from Zeus, which lead to the introduction of evil into the world.

Atlas

Atlas was the son of Iapetus. Unlike his brothers Prometheus and Epimetheus, Atlas fought with the other Titans supporting Cronus against Zeus. Due to Cronus's advance age Atlas lead the Titan's in battle. As a result he was singled out by Zeus for a special punishment and made to hold up the world on his back.

Best I could find on Crius was an entry that state him and Mnemosyne are 'Titans of memory'. So they had a backup.

Should have throught to google individual titans...

Theia - light

Themis - justice, order

Coeus - wisdom, knowledge, intelligence ("thought" to Mnemosyne's "memory")

Still can't find much on Iapetus and Crius. I'll probably make Iapetus a firebringer-type like his son.

Crius was grandfather of the Winds and Stars -- maybe I'll make him the successor to Uranus.

As far as Cronos = Time, that is evidently a later accretion. He was clearly an agricultural figure, as evidenced by his sickle (used on his father), and the fact that mankind had no need to till or harvest during his reign.

Thanks, all.

Epithemus wasn't so much stupid as rather absent-minded: the classic myth with him is that he helped fashion all the creatures of the world but by the time he got to man, whoops! he'd already doled out every talent (strength, speed, claws, flight) to the animals and didn't know what to do. Brother Prometheus ('Forethought') was then wise enough to give man intelligence and more importantly, the powerful tool of fire.

Cronos is Death, the reaper with his scythe. Interestingly he deposed Ouranos not by slaying his father but by castrating him so that he would father no more children, and that father role is the central role of the leader god. Look at Zeus and and note how many gods were fathered by anyone else.

The Titans are fascinating because they are a fully developed pantheon of gods who are overthrown by new gods and generally (with the exception of Zeus who having survived to adulthood is essentially omnipotent) are more powerful than their successors (which follows the classic notion of time being a process of decline). The titans names are their portfolio, their names are words with specific meaning and should give you a handle on their abilities.

I'd like to just take a moment to thank my adoring fans. You've all stuck with me, even after the debacle with with my brother, Pandora, and that box. The doctors say my liver should be in tip top shape in no time- thank you to everyone who sent their love and support.

Let me just say that it's great to be back, and if you thought fire was great, wait 'til you see what I've got lined up for this millenium.

Pax.

Thanatos = Death. He didn't have a scythe. Neither did Chronos. Cronos had a sickle, which is what the Greeks used agriculturally. Thanatos was a rather nebulous figure, essentially usurped in role by Hades.

The Grim Reaper was quite a later development, originating from the Dark Ages, IIRC (post-Roman, anyway). I've never seen any good arguements to link Cronos/Thanatos/Hades to the Grim Reaper.

Originally posted by Lightray

Should have throught to google individual titans...

Theia - light

Themis - justice, order

Coeus - wisdom, knowledge, intelligence ("thought" to Mnemosyne's "memory")

Still can't find much on Iapetus and Crius. I'll probably make Iapetus a firebringer-type like his son.

Crius was grandfather of the Winds and Stars -- maybe I'll make him the successor to Uranus.

Thanks, all.

I thought the couples were :

Chronos : time

Rhea : nature

Okeanos : Ocean

Tethys : waters

Coeus/coeos : the night sky

Phoebe : the moon

Iapetus : Wisdom

Themis : Law, Justice

Crius/Crios : Thought, intelligence

Mnemosyne : Memory

Hyperion : Sun

Theïa : Light

i remember that from a very old issue of DC's Teen Titans in which the original greek titans were released from Tartarus. (circa 1984)

I'm afraid that I'm only at the long-range planning stage right now. I want my Atlanteans to be titan-worshippers, and so I wanted to get the pantheon down right.

The titans may eventually show up themselves. One of the heroes in my campaign, Aegis is the foster-son of the gorgon Stheno, was dipped in the Styx, and has the shield and sandals of Perseus. So the Greek (and Norse, and Chinese) gods are established in the campaign...

Besides which: this thread is about YOU doing the work for ME. :D If anybody has titan write-ups, post 'em!

(I'll even forgive having Cronos with time-control powers ;) )

Aww shucks. well, here is my evil tech version of Hephestus :Vulcan:VulcanPlayer: NPC Villain; Member of Dark Olympus

Val Char Cost
60 STR 50
23 DEX 39
40 CON 60
20 BODY 20
30 INT 20
17 EGO 14
30 PRE 20
10 COM 0
30 PD 18
30 ED 22
5 SPD 17
20 REC 0
80 END 0
70 STUN 0
9" RUN02" SWIM012" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 280
Cost Power END
105 Fire Control Powers: Multipower, 105-point reserve
10u 1) Flame Bolt I: Energy Blast 20d6 (vs. ED) (100 Active Points) 10
10u 2) Flame Bolt II: Energy Blast 16d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance Half END (+1/4) (100 Active Points) 4
10u 3) Flame Bolt III: Energy Blast 14d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (105 Active Points)
10u 4) Flame Bolt IV: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance Half END (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (105 Active Points) 4
10u 5) Cutting Fire: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance Half END (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (105 Active Points) 4
10u 6) Fireball: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance Half END (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (105 Active Points) 4
10u 7) Pillar of Flame: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (100 Active Points)
10u 8) Withering Heat: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), No Normal Defense (LS; Safe Enviroment [intense Heat] Standard; +1) (100 Active Points) 10
25 SunCore Hammer: Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots: (50 Active Points); OAF (-1)
2u 1) Fire Smash: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (44 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 4
2u 2) Light/Heat: Change Environment 8" radius, -2 PER Roll: Normal Sight, 5 Temperature Level Adjustment, Varying Effect Very Limited Group (+1/4) (46 Active Points) 5
20 Godlike Body: Damage Resistance (20 PD/20 ED)
40 God of Fire: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Only Works Against Fire/Heat Limited Type of Attack (-1/2)
50 Godlike Body: Life Support (Total) , Eating: Character does not eat, Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents, Longevity: Immortal, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing, Sleeping: Character does not sleep
20 Protected Senses: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Flash Defense (8 points) (Sight Group), Hardened (+1/4) (10 Active Points) (Real Cost: 10) plus Flash Defense (8 points) (Hearing Group), Hardened (+1/4) (10 Active Points) (Real Cost: 10)
8 Higher Sentience: +8 Mental Defense (11 points total)
45 Flying: Flight 15", Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (45 Active Points)
6 Swift Runner: +3" Running (9" total) 1
6 Wrist Communicator: High Range Radio Perception (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Sense Affected As Sight And Hearing Groups As Well As Radio Group (-1/2)
30 NeOlympus "Key": Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), x4 Increased Weight 3
62 Toys: VPP (Gadget Pool), 50 base + 12 control cost (75 Active Points); VPP Can Only Be Changed Between Adventures (-1/2), OIF (IAF, OAF, or OIF minimum) (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 501
Cost Skill
12 +4 with Fire Powers Multipower
15 +3 with HTH Combat
3 Computer Programming 15-
3 Demolitions 15-
3 Electronics 15-
2 Gambling (Card Games) 15-
3 Inventor 15-
3 High Society 15-
3 KS: The Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World (INT-based) 15-
3 KS: Technolgy/Science/Industrial World (INT-based) 15-
3 KS: World History (INT-based) 15-
3 Mechanics 15-
3 Security Systems 15-
3 Shadowing 15-
3 Stealth 14-
3 Systems Operation 15-
3 Tracking 15-
6 WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms
13 Weaponsmith (Biological Weapons, Chemical Weapons, Energy Weapons, Firearms, Incendiary Weapons, Missiles & Rockets, Muscle-Powered HTH, Muscle-Powered Ranged) 17-
3 Linguist
2 1) Language: Spanish (Completely Fluent, w/Accent) (3 Active Points)
2 2) Language: Russian (Completely Fluent, w/Accent) (3 Active Points)
3 3) Language: Greek (Idiomatic, native accent) (4 Active Points)
2 4) Language: Mandarin (Completely Fluent, w/Accent) (3 Active Points)
2 5) Language: Japanese (Completely Fluent, w/Accent) (3 Active Points)
0 6) Language: Italian (Idiomatic, native accent; Native)
2 7) Language: French (Completely Fluent, w/Accent) (3 Active Points)
2 8) Language: English (Completely Fluent, w/Accent) (3 Active Points)
2 9) Language: German (Completely Fluent, w/Accent) (3 Active Points)
3 Scientist
2 1) SS: Sub-Atomic Physics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 2) SS: Robotics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 3) SS: Psionic Engineering (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 4) SS: Physics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 5) SS: Nuclear Physics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 6) SS: Metallurgy (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 7) SS: Mathematics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 8) SS: Gravitics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 9) SS: Force Field Physics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 10) SS: Electronic Engineering (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 11) SS: Dimensional Engineering (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 12) SS: Density Physics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 13) SS: Computer Science (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 14) SS: Chemistry (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 15) SS: Astronomy (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 16) SS: Archaeology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 17) SS: Anthropology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
3 Traveler
1 1) AK: The United States (2 Active Points) 11-
1 2) CK: Tokyo (2 Active Points) 11-
1 3) AK: South America (2 Active Points) 11-
1 4) CK: New York City (2 Active Points) 11-
1 5) CK: Munich (2 Active Points) 11-
1 6) CK: Moscow (2 Active Points) 11-
1 7) AK: Europe (2 Active Points) 11-
1 8) CK: London (2 Active Points) 11-
1 9) AK: Central America (2 Active Points) 11-
1 10) CK: Rome (2 Active Points) 11-
1 11) CK: Berlin (2 Active Points) 11-
Skills Cost: 161
Cost Perk
15 Money: Filthy Rich
25 Ironforge (125 Base, 75 Disad)
50 Followers (Golems) (x4, 200 Base, 150 Disad)
5 Fringe Benefit: International Driver's License, Membership: Dark Olympus, Passport
Perks Cost: 95
Cost Talent
20 Universal Translator 15-
3 Lightning Calculator
Talents Cost: 23
Val Disadvantages
15 Distinctive Features: High body temperature Not Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
20 Hunted: UNTIL 8- (Occasionally), More Powerful, Capture, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
20 Hunted: True Olympians 11- (Frequently), More Powerful, Caputre
10 Hunted: Jupiter 8- (Occasionally), More Powerful, Watching, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
25 Psychological Limitation: Completely Loyal to Jupiter Very Common, Total
15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence Very Common, Moderate
10 Psychological Limitation: Loves Technology, Gimmicks Common, Moderate
15 Rivalry: Mars Professional and Romantic (; Rival is More Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major
5 Unluck: +1d6
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 300Experience Required: 610Total Experience Available: 610Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 1060

Height: 6' 3" Hair: Red
Weight: 245 lbs Eyes: Red
Appearance: Tall and powerfully built man with red hair and eyes. He typically wears jeans and tee shirts with a lab coat on. When appearing before the board at Ironforge Industries, he wears tailored black business suits with red silk shirts and black ties.

If he has to act the part, he will don armor that appears to be Roman Centurian armor, metallic black with bronze edges and trim. A bronze helmet with a opaque red face plate. He also carries the SunCore Hammer, a weapon that appears to be polished bronze with a black leather handle and a glowing red core of energy.

Personality: A true tech-geek, Vulcan speeks almost another language of geekese. He spends most of his time at the Ironforge Industries building in Tokyo. He has spent much of his time trying to improve his skills in combat as well as his technology so that someday he can show Venus that he is Mars' superior in every way. Its been an uphill battle.Quote:"ROFL; is that the best you got Punk? IMHO you are toast :)!"

"Stand aside, mortal none shall bar the way of the Fire Lord!"

Background: Created by Jupitor from the captured blood of Hephestus, Vulcan sprang forth a god of fire and science. When the two pantheons clashed he easily defeated Hephestus. After the creation of NeOlympus, Vulcan left to explore the be technology Earth had to offer. He has embraced technology and can be considered one of the foremost engineers in existance. He is a rival of Dr Destroyer in intellect and technical knowledge if not raw power. He has spent the last 2000+ years developing technologies that resemble magic.Powers/Tactics: As an embodiment of cosmic fire and scientific creativity, Vulcan is a passionate, volitile, and paridoxical man. He has spent the last three millinia trying to reverse engineer Progenitor technology that was found by Zeus and stolen by Jupitor. He has come closer to this as the years have gone by and the developments he has made make his technology centuries ahead of everyone else. His only failing is his inability to create a truely efficient powersource. The power output is lagging behind someone like Destroyer as a result.

In combat he likes to soften the opposition up with his fire control abilities and then crush them with his SunCore Hammer.

Campaign Use: A technological deva. He can create nearly anything and does mostly for the fun of it. He sees humanity as barely evolved apes, but marvels at the advances they have made in the last hundred years. He has a healthy respect for Dr Destroyer and rues the fact that Mechanon simply lumps him with the rest of the organics. He would love to study that marvel of machinery. Vulcan could be an arms dealer, or a criminal developer of technology. He isn't immoral so much as ammoral and could encounter the PC's in a non threatening way.