New Millennium: Worth mining?

BigJackBrass

Having found interesting titbits aplenty in old HERO books I noticed that the Champions: the New Millennium line goes for a song on eBay and the secondhand market. Is there anything worth buying these books for to add to a current Champions game, or has it all been covered elsewhere?

Re: New Millennium: Worth mining?

Having found interesting titbits aplenty in old HERO books I noticed that the Champions: the New Millennium line goes for a song on eBay and the secondhand market. Is there anything worth buying these books for to add to a current Champions game' date=' or has it all been covered elsewhere?[/quote']

A slim handful of the character concepts are both interesting and not covered by other sourcebooks--but not very many.

Also, it is kind of interesting to trace Champions from 4th, to New Millenium, to 5th--it is somewhat reminscent of the way comic stories changed too, with New Millenium being set in the era right around, hm... I'd say right around the start of the unadjectived "X-Men" comic; the tone was a little more "real" (without being gritty the way Image-era comics were) and the art and aesthetic style was more "sleek and sexy" in nature--but that isn't game material per se, more just "kind of neat".

Eh, I use Bay City as an adventuring point. At least the maps and city information. I tossed out about half the history for it.

Unlike most people I enjoyed C:NM and what it tried to do. Wasn't the best Hero products at the time, wasn't the worse either. If you do buy the books sit down and read the rules and do the conversions yourself, don't trust the "5th" characters in the Cybergames version of the book. They're not based on what we know as 5th Edition.

While I didn't didn't care for the gaming system, I liked several of the modifications they made to versions of Eurostar, Lady blue, and a few of the other standard CU villains. Also, the maps, and with a little work, some of the organizations they have can be useful. And, to be honest, I picked up m copy of the rules, and Bay City from the bargin bin at my local comic shop, so I can't complain to much.

We I bought C: tNM "back in the days" I was excited to see a new version of the game becuas eit was advertised as an easier, more accessible version of HERO (had no problems with it, but heck - A NEW VERSION OF MY FAVOURITE GAME - WHOOHOOO!).

Wasn't impressed with the system. Did not get the reason to have Body and Stun at the same level and with no connection between the two stats. Everything was "same, but slightly different", but not as accessible as the old 4th edition.

The artwork was great though, and I wonder why this is not possible with todays Hero products. In that case I a see a regression which is now underway to get reduced - but layout- nad artwise New Millenium is still ahead of todays 5th edition.

That's a shame.

Reading over this' date=' it gives me an idea for a whole new thread, Retcon Champions: the New Millennium[/quote']

I find it ironic that when C:NM came out, Marvel Comics was doing their Hero's Reborn comics. Even though all the issues weren't out you could almost see a connection between the two.

I liked C:NM's background, but didn't care for the rules really. I agree that the art was better and I liked the general design of the books ... and I especially liked the color plates in the 1e of it, very nice work :) I only wish that the standards had kept ...