The Ultimate Character Sheet

JmOz

Re: The Ultimate Character Sheet

Pretty much what's on the regular sheet, only all squeezed onto one page and yet still totally readable. Yep, you got it: I want a magical character sheet.

I thought about tatooing my favorite character onto my body, but that would make experience point expenditure really painful.

Would it be worth it if the tattoos gave you the abilities? (you bet!)

Seriously though, this is a good question. I find myself using the "notes" option of Hero Designer (which can cause a lot of clutter) as a catch-all for some of the basic questions of what a character can do like:

ocv/dcv/dc with moveby and movethrough

maximum sustained movement (end spent/turn = REC)

total damage when HKA's and/or HA's with advantages are present.

etc...

These are some of the 'basic' questions that get ignored on most sheets imho.

I do think it's a tremendous help when the basics are pre-figured (So my Martial Grab would be xOCV/xDCV before levels).

I've taken to doing this sort of pre-figuring in a couple other games where I'm a player. Often on a second "cheat sheet". Speeds things up slightly.

Pretty much what's on the regular sheet' date=' only all squeezed onto one page and yet still totally readable. Yep, you got it: I want a [i']magical[/i] character sheet.

I thought about tatooing my favorite character onto my body, but that would make experience point expenditure really painful.

Right now the sheet me & my wife are working on is 4 pages long, designed to be printed in book layout over two pages

Page 1 includes skills, characteristics, & Disadvantages

Page 2-3 is most of the combat stuff, powers, etc...

Page 4 is background, picture, & Equipment (A quick refrence equipment section is on page 3)

Right now the sheet me & my wife are working on is 4 pages long, designed to be printed in book layout over two pages

Page 1 includes skills, characteristics, & Disadvantages

Page 2-3 is most of the combat stuff, powers, etc...

Page 4 is background, picture, & Equipment (A quick refrence equipment section is on page 3)

I would be very interested in seeing this!

My current character sheet template is a slightly modified version of the HTML 3-col one that ships with HD... often wraps on to additional pages at inconvenient times...

It really needs to be in 9.5-point Ariel' date=' on 11x17 paper. ;)[/quote']

If my printer could handle 11 x17, and for that matter I knew where to buy that sized paper it would be. As for typeset, we are going from 9-12 point Ariel & Ariel narrow for most of it (Some tables are smaller typed than others)

As for seeing it, when it is done I hope to give it to Ben to post it as a HD template (It will require some "Polishing" when you use it in HD, as HD won't do some of the stuff I want it to)

Will it be RTF? HTML? or somehting else?
HTML, to edit all you will need to do is save it and open in word, or fill in by hand things like the race catagory, package deals (Just a list of names), weapon charts, etc. Basicaly we are using all that HD can, and faking the rest...

Ohh, we are actualy planning on sending a few of them, the one we are working on right now is for Fantacy. After it we are going to do a bunch of different one's for other Heroic settings, but most will just be minor tweeks.

Here is what we have already:

Page 1:

Personal Info (Name, race, height, weight, eye, hair, Package deals)

XP table (Base points, disadvantage points, spent xp, unspent xp, total)

Graphic (4th edition Fantacy Hero Logo)

Characteristics (Includes movement, notes, char skill rolls)

Skills

Page 2:

Combat Info (OCV, DCV, Combat skills)

Combat Maneuvers (Basic Manuevers, Martial Arts)

Range Modifiers

Targeting Shot

Hit Location Table

Vitals (A table to help track Stun, body, end)

Defences

Sectional Defences

Page 3:

Special Abilities (Powers, Martial Arts Skills)

Equipment on hand (Fast refrence equipment list)

Melee Weapons Table

Missile Weapon Table

Ammo Table

Page 4:

Equipment

Character Info (Background, Personality, Quote, Tactics, Notes, Appearence, Picture). The note section uses the Campeign Info in HD

We are debating puting Appearence on the first page

Well, for combat info I'd almost like to see a two-dimensional chart with Power/weapon in one direction and maneuver in the other (maybe just common offensive ones, with some left over for custom maneuvers, others for which the character has specific CSLs/PSLs, etc.). Next to the Power/weapon can be noted the max range, starting range penalty and distance at which it applies (taking Range PSLs into account), max and remaining charges, base End Cost, etc. Each entry in the heart of the table could contain that combination's base: OCV, DCV, applicable CSLs, damage amount and type(s), and how much and at what rate Str applies.

For home games, I tend to prefer the 3-column how-much-can-we-cram-onto-one-page format, with gear, background, etc on the back. For cons, I use a very simplified math-free format that I "borrowed" from Bill Keyes.

One thing I find very helpful is an "Attacks Summary" table, similar to prestidigitator's idea. For each weapon/attack it lists OCV (including weapon mods), DCV (ditto), skill levels with that attack, damage, range mod, and notes.

Add-ons to the main character sheet which could be adjusted for each genre/character :-

Martial Arts

Equipment (as equipment, rather than as powers)

Cyberwear (similar to above or below)

Spells / Psionics

NPCs (for followers)

Multiforms (similar to NPCs - small summary areas)

Combat summaries

Optional Combat maneuvers

Background information

Alternate identity information (for superhero genre, rather than being the default)

I've only got one suggestion: list the range mods for ranges up to ~2.000"

It gets annoying to have to figure them in play at extreme ranges.

You haven't done enough programming. I can do powers of two in my sleep. ;):P

e.g. 2000"? That's just under 2^11 hexes, so the penalty will be -2*(11-2)=-18.

I use a one-page MS Word file. I use the Table feature, which allows customized tables with the "pencil" tool, so that boxes in the table can be different sizes, rather than X columns by Y rows. Also, I fill in everything electronically, so I can adjust the sizes of the boxes on the fly, as needed for each character. For example, the Martial Artist can have a larger Maneuvers box, and a smaller Powers box.

The page includes all the crunchy bits of the character, including weapons/armor, sectional defenses, combat maneuvers, movement modes, disads, experience spent/unspent, levels, etc. There's also room for a few paragraphs of backstory/personality/quotes.

I've found the format to work quite well. The frequently referenced things (CV, defenses, senses, movement, etc.) are grouped together so they're easy to find. There's even space to keep track of END/STUN/BODY lost. The only thing not included are an illustration of the character (no big deal, since I don't really draw that well anyway). I suppose a second page could be used for a more detailed character description. And additional space would be needed to write up any Bases, Vehicles, Followers, non-combat-related equipment, etc.

If my printer could handle 11 x17, and for that matter I knew where to buy that sized paper it would be. As for typeset, we are going from 9-12 point Ariel & Ariel narrow for most of it (Some tables are smaller typed than others)

As for seeing it, when it is done I hope to give it to Ben to post it as a HD template (It will require some "Polishing" when you use it in HD, as HD won't do some of the stuff I want it to)

Have you thought about a monospaced font like Ariel Terminal or Monoco for the tables, gives a more predictable width...

I'm a monspace freak though.