Leadership Powers

nexus

We have a character in our game called Major Victory. He is a Captain Americ homage and I wanted to ask the Hero fans for some suggested powers for a character who is just super skilled at motivating people and a team, making them excel. Not so much tatically but but pushing their limits and boosting their team spirt and will to fight.

Re: Leadership Powers

Combat Skill levels, UBO, AE: Selective, No Range, doesn't work on those teammates who can not hear him. Possibly with an Oratory roll required.

I had a C named the same thing, back in the day and he had powers like that. He was so good at reading the battlefield that he just knew what to do.

note: he had a villian that was called Major Defeat

Not so much tatically but but pushing their limits and boosting their team spirt and will to fight.

EGO boost, only defensive against mental attacks that would make them run away or stop fighting or betray the team.

:think: At that point, it's almost no limitation. Just call it a "defensive only" EGO boost.

Check out the description of Presence Attacks in the rulebook. Inspirational Presence Attacks directed at friendly/allied parties are tailor-made for this kind of effect. I could see buying extra Presence, Only To Inspire (probably -1).

Oratory is pretty much a mandatory Skill for motivating people. A successful Skill roll can also add to the aforementioned Presence Attack.

Here's something along those lines I cooked up a little more than a year ago, in another thread; I think it fits, so I'll quote it here:

Create a new Talent, and then use the "messy mechanics of building it" to get the basic point cost. It's just that, once built, you know how much it costs per level, and what the effects are. You don't need a descriptor a mile long on the character sheets, any more than you do for "Combat Luck." With "Combat Luck", you just write down "Combat Luck", right?

I'll use the example of creating the "Gift of Flight" spell in the text for the Usable On Others Advantage as a guide for how to build it, since the person doing the inspiring will be granting the ability to others, and not using it himself.

Inspirational

This talent represents the character's ability to inspire others to perform beyond their usual limits. The character using the Talent must make a short speech or similar verbal exhortation, and those who will benefit from the inspiration must be able to hear the character and understand him; this is a full-phase action. After the motivational speech, the character makes a PRE check; if the check is successful, he has inspired his listeners and they gain the benefits of the inspiration.

A character who has been inspired in this fashion gains one Overall Skill Level (+1 to any Skill roll or Combat roll) for each level of the Inspirational Talent used by the speaker. These Overall Levels fade at the rate of one level every post-12.

A character who has using the Inspirational Talent may use it again during the same situation, but each successive use of the Talent imposes a cumulative -2 penalty on the PRE check. (This also applies if the character failed a previous Inspiration attempt by failing their PRE check. They may try again, but at the listed penalty.) The most a character can Inspire others is the maximum level to which he's bought the Talent; repeated use of the Talent in the same situation cannot provide bonuses above this maximum, but instead will replace bonuses that have faded over time.

Example: Mr. Patriot has 3 levels of Inspirational. He uses it successfully to inspire his companions, granting them +3 Overall levels. Two Turns later, that bonus has dropped to +1; if Mr. Patriot uses his Talent again and succeeds (at a -2 penalty on his PRE check) he will grant them +3 Overall Levels again. Since the +1 they still have and the new +3 = +4, which is greater than the most Mr. Patriot can grant, those he re-inspires top out at +3 Overall Levels once more.

A character cannot Inspire himself.

Inspirational: 10 Character points for each +1 Overall Skill Level that may be granted to up to 8 listeners simultaneously.

-----

Base Power = 7 points: +1 Overall Skill Level; Fade: Loses one +1 per post-12 (-1/2)

Grant Base Power to Others: Usable By Other (+1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Up to 8 people at once (+3/4); Requires A PRE Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Incantations (-1/4) on 7 base points = 10 Real points.

At one point, there was a power called Presence Defense.

I think the reason it was dropped is that one can buy up EGO or PRE and define it as "defensive" which comes out to about the same thing at the same cost. Obviously, you'd buy more of whichever you already have highest.

But that solution makes a little less sense in this context. If you're using a boost to EGO for example, and one of the teammates has PRE 20 and EGO 10, they may not really be gaining anything if they could just resist a PRE attack with their own PRE.

PRE DEF was, as I recall, 1 pt for 1 pt of DEF, that was subtracted from the amount of any PRE attack.

Also, regarding Oratory: I think some abilities may Require that Skill Roll, and others (perhaps on triggers) wouldn't. Not all Leadership is making speeches. Just being present among people who have come to regard you as a symbol can inspire thoughts of "He's on our side. Victory is ours!" (Pardon the pun)

Some thoughts on Triggered powers:

How about a PRE attack, triggerred when an opponent makes a PRE attack that overcomes someone on the team by a given point total, designed to counter that oppositional PRE attack? This simulates the team member whose morale was shaken automatically thinking "I can't hesitate or back down. The Major is counting on me!"

Another trigger may be for when the inspiring character is knocked out, or even killed. Sometimes, the loss of a leader completely demoralizes a group; sometimes, if the leader was doing his job right, it galvanizes them into furious action.

Lucius Alexander

But you don't have to listen to me. What does a guy riding a palindromedary know about it?

Could use a Change Environment with the -CV to opponents.

That serves the same purpose as boosting the Good guys CVs really.

Can you do that? Have the penalty only against your opponents, not everyone in the area?

Lucius Alexander

Change Environment: Palindromedary

• 4 years later...

Other leadership powers, probably not applicable to this character: Mindlink. Being able to communicate privately with the whole team at once can be very useful.

Overall skill lvls, usable against others. The not applicable in this case is the special effect: telepathy. The notion is to stimulate someones brain to recall and create with a skill the target has, even though the one giving the boost doesn't have that skill.

Teamwork usable by others. As above, but as above I think that this power could be adapted to fit the concept of Major Victory.