If You Had To Play a Marvel Character…

GoldenAge

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: If You Had To Play a Marvel Character…

Devil-Slayer No one remembers the character' date=' but I thought he was interesting back in the day.[/quote']

DAYYYUM! I thought I was the only one who remembered him, too!

I had a character based on him that I ran for about a year, who was a total blast!

Another interesting choice would be "The Wingless Wizard". But of course I think that the thing to do with a device that controls gravity is to patent it, make youself very rich, then make life difficult for you enemies by buying their bases or the media and have them get as much bad publicity as possible while you sit back, having revolutionised transport world wide, and rake in the profits !

And that every mass transit company in the world would likely try to make sure the tech didn't come to the mass market, since they'd stand to lose billiions.

Revolutionising the transit business sounds nice, untill you realise that there are quite a few companies out there who would probably be quite happy with the way things are now.

Except of course that it couldn't be mass produced.
He never had any trouble producing enough of his "anti-grav discs" for his own needs; also several gravity powered aircraft seemingly whenever he wanted them. I don't see that mass production would be a problem.

And that every mass transit company in the world would likely try to make sure the tech didn't come to the mass market, since they'd stand to lose billiions.

Revolutionising the transit business sounds nice, untill you realise that there are quite a few companies out there who would probably be quite happy with the way things are now.

And THAT is why you keep your friends (like "Trapster", "Sandman" and "Madam Medusa") on the payroll as "security consultants". To make sure that your competitors don't try to put you out of business by "extra legal" means !;)

And THAT is why you keep your friends (like "Trapster"' date=' "Sandman" and "Madam Medusa") on the payroll as "security consultants". To make sure that your competitors don't try to put you out of business by "extra legal" means !;)[/quote']

And that is why THEY hire every other mercenary supervillain to make sure those "extra leval" means survive. Sure you've got Sandman and Trapster [unless it's during the period when Sandman has gone good, then you just have Trapster] but they're calling on Taskmaster, Rhino, Sabretooth, Absorbing Man, the Wrecking Crew and dozens others. Those companies that want to stop the transit industry from getting revolutionized so they can keep making millions and billions? They have lots of money to keep hiring mercenaries and such, Wizard doesn't have those kinds of deep pockets.

Plus that's only one aspect they could sabotage his work, slander his person, frame him for a crime, interfere with his patents through legal means and many other sleazy tricks. Messing with the Fantastic Four is MUCH safer then going toe to toe with big business.

He never had any trouble producing enough of his "anti-grav discs" for his own needs;

Of course he didn't. But they still couldn't be mass produced. Each disk he made was individually handcrafted, because that's the only way you can build supergadgetry. (Of course, probably the Wizard didn't even legally own the technology anyway.) But the really good stuff can't be mass produced. That's why even though Reed Richards invents _and sells_ flying bathtub technology, all of it ends up being underproduced.

Of course he didn't. But they still couldn't be mass produced. Each disk he made was individually handcrafted' date=' because that's the only way you can build supergadgetry. (Of course, probably the Wizard didn't even legally own the technology anyway.) But the really good stuff can't be mass produced. That's why even though Reed Richards invents _and sells_ flying bathtub technology, all of it ends up being underproduced.[/quote']

True, but he'll still make billions from those eccentric richies that want to fly. Y'know, the same ones who pay for private, specially decorated jets and yachts that are one-of-a-kind as well. :rolleyes:

And that is why THEY hire every other mercenary supervillain to make sure those "extra leval" means survive. Sure you've got Sandman and Trapster [unless it's during the period when Sandman has gone good' date= then you just have Trapster] but they're calling on Taskmaster, Rhino, Sabretooth, Absorbing Man, the Wrecking Crew and dozens others.

What prevents Wizard from using some of his newfound wealth to hire some or all of those mercenaries as well?

The non-marketability of supertech is one of those comic book tropes that doesn't hold up well when closely scrutinized.

What prevents Wizard from using some of his newfound wealth to hire some or all of those mercenaries as well?

The non-marketability of supertech is one of those comic book tropes that doesn't hold up well when closely scrutinized.

Heck, by then the Wizard is on the up-n-up. He can call the Avengers for protection. And we know that they never loose (well, in the long run). :rolleyes:

If all those corporations are using thier resources to keep Wizard's tech off the market, then how is he going to get the wealth to hire these mercenaries?

Even if he did make some money off of it, the oil companies and car companies that desperately want to maintain the status quo are still likely to have more cash then he does. Not only that but they're likely to have most of the useful contacts as well. Not saying it's flat out impossible but it's a pretty enormous obstacle to overcome, large enough perhaps to make any other option look pretty darn good.

Heck' date=' by then the Wizard is on the up-n-up. He can call the Avengers for protection. And we know that they never loose (well, in the long run). :rolleyes:[/quote']

That assumes big business doesn't prevent him from getting a foothold in the first place. Let's face it, if Wizard's tech was to become widespread fossil feul industries alone would stand to lose billions.

That assumes big business doesn't prevent him from getting a foothold in the first place. Let's face it' date=' if Wizard's tech was to become widespread fossil feul industries alone would stand to lose billions.[/quote']

I don't think you understand how this would work... :smoke:

Big business wouldn't waste time hiring thugs or threatening the Wizard. They'd buy him out. The Wizard would be rich and beholden to a no competition contract and the big company would be free to patent new and evolving versions of his work... or squash it out of existence as they see fit.

Either way, the Wizard ends up rich. :thumbup:

I don't think you understand how this would work... :smoke:

Big business wouldn't waste time hiring thugs or threatening the Wizard. They'd buy him out. The Wizard would be rich and beholden to a no competition contract and the big company would be free to patent new and evolving versions of his work... or squash it out of existence as they see fit.

Either way, the Wizard ends up rich. :thumbup:

And having been a super villain I am sure that he could find a way to get around any legal contract that he might have signed as well ! If our reformed "Wingless Wizard" really wants to he can end up rich, reform the transport industry AND become popular with just about everyone !:P

Incidentally, if ONE big company puts his tech on the market, the others lose. He just needs that one. And if all the US companies aren't interested, maybe a Chinese company will be...

Of course, the US government might try to stop him transferring his technology to China, but that's a whole new ballgame.

Juggernaut, because when you're essentially a plot device don't worry, be happy.

Why did I rob that bank? Because I was bored. Why am I walking down the street with superheroes hanging off me like three year olds? Because its funny. Why am I unstoppable? I'm the Juggernaut *beep* ;)

You know, you guys are ignoring the fact that the Wizard is rich already, and yes, he did get rich by selling inventions. He isn't a supervillain to make money. He's a supervillain for fun.

You know' date=' you guys are ignoring the fact that the Wizard is rich already, and yes, he did get rich by selling inventions. He isn't a supervillain to make money. He's a supervillain for fun.[/quote']

IIRC, he's a supervillain because he has a need to prove he's smarter than Reed Richards.

Didn't he start out by going after the Human Torch? Or am I misremembering?

No, that's right. Later the Wizard mostly transferred the rivalry to Reed, someone who could humiliate him on even more levels. :D Or: solo-go after Torch, as leader of Frightful Four, main threat is Mister Fantastic.

There's a fun old teamup of Wizard and Mysterio vs. Human Torch and Spidey, running them through a series of traps.

The Beetle's first outing IIRC was also against the Human Torch & the Thing, before he went on to be regularly trounced by Daredevil and Spider-Man.