If You Had To Play a Marvel Character…

GoldenAge

Re: If You Had To Play a Marvel Character…

Spider-Man. No question. I think his personality is very fun to role-play, and his abilities also represent one of my favorite archetypes. In fact, one of my longest-running Champions characters is a thinly-veiled clone of Spider-Man (in powers only... her personality is quite different).

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that I'm answering this as "which would I like to play as or with in a con game and why, rather than which characters I think are really cool."

Anyway, another chime-in for Spiderman: in terms of playing him as a character, his powerset is simple enough (and well-known enough) that people understand both its versatility and its limitations, and as such would be more comfortable using the Champions write-up as a guideline, rather than as a limit.

Also another vote for the professional, competent Cyclops - he's a one-trick pony that has built up enough experience to have more depth than he started out with, and is by necessity an excellent team player. Also another character whose power is easy to understand ("I blast stuff") so that the inevitable multipower write-up would be looked at as a starting point, rather than as a restriction.

Not Wolverine - I'd say that a write-up loyal to the actual adamantium-based character (don't care for the bony version) would be too hard to balance in team play: either he's neigh-unstoppable, or else he's Magneto's sock puppet. He also tends to be too much of a loner to be really fun for RPing, unless it was a duo with Jubilee or the movie Rogue.

Union Jack: Been a fan of this character since I started picking up back issues of the "Invaders" A great pedagree of people donned the mask and loaded the Webley.I loved the Cassidy illustrated limited series.

Thunderstrike A mortal proved to the gods to have the heart of a Noble hero and given the gift of a new Hammer. I loved the normal joe trying to impersonate Thor.

Hawkeye Wisecracking badass with a bow

The Spirit of 76' Another Character I ran across collecting the Invaders. Like Captain America but in a Patriot outfit and Bullet proof cloak. I think of this character would have a lot of potential. There would be lots of room to expand on this character.

Antman/Giantman I always thought Pym got a bum wrap.

The Spirit of 76' Another Character I ran across collecting the Invaders. Like Captain America but in a Patriot outfit and Bullet proof cloak. I think of this character would have a lot of potential. There would be lots of room to expand on this character.

Well, until he takes over the Cap mantle in the late 1940's...

Spider-Man: Spins a web, any size, catches thieves just like flies. The dude is the epitome of Marvel at its 4-colored best before Mutant Angst took over. He's one of (if not the) most well-fleshed out heroes ever. He should get double disadvantage points for his Secret ID, because being Peter Parker never seems to stop sucking, and yet you can't not love the guy. He's the everyman that anyone who picks up a Spidey title can identify with (particularly if they've been cloned or had their loved ones thrown off a bridge by some dude on a Bat-Glider.) I'd play him just to relish in the witty banter with every villain out there.

But, if the group already has a web-slinger, I'd have to go w/ Giant-Man. Why?

1. Super scientists rock.

2. Ultimate Janet Pym is smokin' hot.

3. Growth rocks.

4. Wiseacre supers have me in some sort of tractor beam.

5. Ultimate Janet Pym is smokin' hot.

Or, if they were already Brick heavy - Mr. Fantastic/ Reed Richards

Reasons 1-5 as above, but drop #4, replace "Growth" with "Streching" and "Janet Pym" with "Sue Richards."

Avenger class: I'll go with Beta Ray Bill because everyone can use the 'why the long face' joke. And also, he's Thor, but not an A-Hole about it.

X-Guy: Havok, because he's the dude you know who's rough around the edges and has that prissy perfect sibling.

Street level: A post-Miller reformed Gladiator drawn by Butch Guice. Cuz the GM won't have already given him to another player. Seriously, dude. He and Electra fought off a beeyotch-load of Hand Ninjas like it weren't no thang. Of course, She does that by herself, too.

What If: Matt Murdock, disciple of Dr Strange. Matt learns ninja shizzle from Dr Strange, who is not a mystic, and joins the Hand. He leaves the Hand for love and turns good. Fun times.

... it would be a toss-up between 3 characters, depending on the game.

Avenger game: Iron-Man, no question. I've wanted to be Tony Stark since I picked up my first Avengers comic in the late '70s. I'd want to play the Stark from the "Demon in the Bottle" period. There was so much going on psychologically, during that time. Powered-armor rocks!

X-Game: Gambit, my all-time favorite Marvel character. We're talking about the character from the early issues; before they trashed his rep with the whole Mutant massacre garbage (and everything else after that).

Solo-type game: Jack of Hearts, another cool character that was kind of funked up later on. I'd definitely play the original character, before the alien mom thing. I just loved the look and powers of this character.

Marvel? Believe it or not, right now I'd go with Captain America. He represents all of the 'superman' qualities of Thia Halmades, while also being able to organize a group, lead a team, and maintain, above all else, his integrity. More so in that even when that integrity is compromised, he recovers and gets back on the horse.

Hand to hand combatant. Powerful leader. A true super hero.

In a con game, probably She-Hulk. Straightforward and fun, in terms of both personality and powers. An intelligent brick, whose personal corner of the MU (the law firm) I find particularly interesting and full of potential. Also, I've just finished the first two graphic novel collections of her last title, and it doesn't seem like there's too much convoluted backstory baggage to worry about.

In a campaign... hmm. In no particular order:

Storm - versatile, kick-*** powers; strong, principled personality; never read a book that had her do something I hated, which is rare for Marvel. Tons of potential for role-playing and tons of creative options in combat.

Ultimate Jean Grey - my favorite Ultimate character by far (though I haven't read past graphic novel collection #12 yet). Her humor and attitude, mostly, though her insane power level doesn't work against my decision. She casually does ridiculously powerful stuff in Hero terms (more with her telepathy than her teke).

And just to get a (sort of) male in there, I've always thought Vision was iconic in a way that few other Marvel characters are. I haven't followed all they've done with him, though.

Or maybe Shulkie again; I really loved her book. :)

GAMBIT? You're favorite X-Men is Gambit? Man' date=' you seemed so rational too...[/quote']

I'm not sure what you don't like about Gambit. Whether you're go by what he's like today, or if you never liked him. I know nothing about today's Gambit, as I haven't read a single comic (other than the Avengers/JLA mini-series) in a decade or more. They were just beginning to screw-over Gambit when I stopped buying.

I thought that the original character was great. He was mysterious, charismatic, and had a cool power. I also liked his costume (yes, trenchcoat and all).

Not sure this counts as Marvel, but...

Night Man/Johnny Domino (Comic, NOT THE TV SERIES!) Street level fighter who can Detect Evil, good in a fight, and has some useful gadgets (Normal utility Belt VPP).

Why? I liked how the character was before the whole 'Black September' business went down. A musician, decent sort of fellow, not all moody and obsessive, and he learned as he went along. That was what got me hooked on the series.

Failing that, Spidey, Mangaverse version. Spider powers plus Ninja package (Munchkin mode, anyone?). And he's still a kid in some ways, a fighter in other ways, and a teacher in a few ways (now and then).

Plus there's MJ as the Scarlet Spider. ;)

Given a chance I would play Captain America. He can knit together a team just by being present, case in point-The New Avengers. He has the voice that could command a god, and does. He charges machine gun nests without blinking. His powers don't trample on anyone's schtick, but he is always useful in any situation. He brings out the best in the people around him (maybe even to the extent of an Aid or Overall Levels UBO.)

I tend to favor the paladins. It's a curse.

Gambit got Uber-screwed by X-hackery and he's now Apocolypse's Death. I never liked his costume or his fake patois or his powers. Other than that, he still sucks. I suspect we must agree to disagree. Or you can tell me I am right. Either is cool with me.

Oh, and let me go on record as hating Apocolypse.

Gambit got Uber-screwed by X-hackery and he's now Apocolypse's Death. I never liked his costume or his fake patois or his powers. Other than that, he still sucks. I suspect we must agree to disagree. Or you can tell me I am right. Either is cool with me.

Oh, and let me go on record as hating Apocolypse.

Since when is his accent fake?

Anyway, thanks for the update hooligan. I guess I'll have to agree with you that I now hate what Gambit has been turned into. I'll just keep my memories of him when he first met Ororo and joined the X-Men. Anything from the Sinister revelation on: din't never hap'n. :(

And I'll also agree with you in hating Apocalypse.

Aren't there lips in Apokalips? I know it has some whacked out spelling. Okay. So I've already weighed in on Capt. America - for the same reason CasualPlayer states - Thia Halmades is a Paladin. Cap is THE MAN. Simple.

If I had to wear the X? Ew. There are too many great X-Men for me to choose from; for aeons the iconic character for me (and every other kid I knew) was Wolverine, and while he still holds a place in my holy pantheon of great characters, I don't think he'd be my mutated choice.

Nope. Scott Summers. See a theme? While Scott is inherentlyf flawed as a leader, he has some great qualities to him as well; Jean sticks by him, he's doggedly loyal, and like most of the X-Men, he's incredibly human. He's flawed, and I like that about him. Having the Optical Multipower to end all Multipowers doesn't hurt, either. EB, RKA, Tunneling, Various AOEs and the uber "mask removal" power that puts holes in ceilings.

And, I don't think anyone else claimed him yet. ;)

GAMBIT? You're favorite X-Men is Gambit? Man' date=' you seemed so rational too...[/quote']

Hey, I like Gambit too, in a 90's superhero vibe sort of way: cool trenchcoat, single power that could be used in a variety of ways, and backed it all up with training (excellent spy/thief and good with a staff) and equipment (wore body armor). In terms of general character design, he and Cyclops are very similar; in many ways, that's my archtype for a street-level Champions character.

That being said, I found that the whole "I'm a Cajun, have some gumbo" thing was WAY overplayed, and the 90's X-Men reverse masks (having a sort of framing look around your face, but leaving all features clear) was kinda lame. That, and to be honest he was a bit of an ***. But so was Scott Summers, and I liked him too. :)

Also, he was one of those X-Men who were a LOT more interesting when his origin was still mysterious. Then they tied his origin in with Sinister and Apocalypse and that whole X-Ternal bit and it just got really really bad.

Legacy : He was the heir to Capt. Mar-Vel. Basically he was a smarmy disrespectful punk who after getting some powers and a couple comics of lecturing by Silver Surfer turned into a flying energy blasting smart-aleck.

The guys was fun to read but he was not in very many comics before I quit reading them.

(I always liked the idea of flying around and having fun. And to top it off I would get to be disrespectful to the villains, talk about good times.)

When it was all done he was a lot weaker than his dad but he was still a cool character and would do well in a Fantastic Four level game.

There is a pic of him about half way down this page. (lots of readers do not like his smarmy nature)

http://marvelite.prohosting.com/surfer/reviews/ssa7.html

Hmm. Decisions, decisions ...

I'm going to go with The Beast, because he had everything. Brains, brawn, agility, and a great sense of humor. Looked cool, too.

Runner-up: Speedball. Powers more versatile than he ever realized, as close to indestructible as you get, incredible wiseguy and always lightens the mood.

Runner-up/Tie: Classic Machine Man (before Nextwave and his 'fleshie-hating'). I've always had a soft spots for robots, and I ripped him off once. Exploring just what humanity is, the Pinnochio complex, and his adaptable arsenal were just cool. :)

My number one choice: Spiderman. He's been my favorite super since I was a tike, a loner who can work wth others easily.

X-team: Nightcrawler- the Claremont version, a swashbuckling super who can have fun.

#2 and #3 Cyclops and the Beast: Cyke because of his flawed leader nature, and Beast for the fun, intellegent, brick

Others: The Thing: who can't love wanting to play Ben Grimm?

Hawkeye: A wisecracking Cap. A bit of Spidey, a bit of Captain America. And all cool. (even with an ugly purple costume for 99% of his career.)

Probably Iron Man. He was always one of my favorite characters and his versatility plays well with a group. I'm generally fond of characters who have several different offensive options. Multipowers and VPPs abound on my characters. I rarely have the most raw damage dice at the table but I frequently have the most options. No surprise that my first Champs character was a power armor guy.

Beyond that though, I like Tony's character. He's a flawed human being with a story to tell. He isn't "perfect" like Capt. America or Superman. But in the hands of a good writer, he's a fabulous character(too bad he hasn't had many good writers since Grunwald left).