Build me a power - Paralyzing Touch

Jaxom

Ok, I've been poking with things and trying to build this and have been unable to get the actual effect I am looking for.

The SFX that I want is a combat nerve strike that induces paralysis. Think of the nerve-strike used by "The Operative" in Serenity. I've been trying to build this with an Entangle but I am missing something... I figure it's probably NND, Takes No Damage (Any Attack) but I can't figure out how people get out of it. (It's certainly not being attacked physically. It might be a willpower (EGO) feat but that seems to include other problems like being blocked by Mental Defense .)

I'm not attached to the idea of the Entangle, it's just where I have focussed my attention. Because of the nature of the desired effect, I have also considered calling it a Presence attack but I am not sure how to build a Presence attack that is based on CV... Any other ideas are also welcome.

Re: Build me a power - Paralyzing Touch

Ok, I've been poking with things and trying to build this and have been unable to get the actual effect I am looking for.

The SFX that I want is a combat nerve strike that induces paralysis. Think of the nerve-strike used by "The Operative" in Serenity. I've been trying to build this with an Entangle but I am missing something... I figure it's probably NND, Takes No Damage (Any Attack) but I can't figure out how people get out of it. (It's certainly not being attacked physically. It might be a willpower (EGO) feat but that seems to include other problems like being blocked by Mental Defense .)

I'm not attached to the idea of the Entangle, it's just where I have focussed my attention. Because of the nature of the desired effect, I have also considered calling it a Presence attack but I am not sure how to build a Presence attack that is based on CV... Any other ideas are also welcome.

First, I have seen this question posted before, have you searched on this? Seems to me that this is what most of answer gravitated toward. BOECV entangle or EGO based break out entangle.

Second for some silly Ideas how 'bout either building it as a SPD or DEX Drain. If you drain DEX to zero or below the target has to make a dex roll to do any thing. The dreaded transform might work (to paralyzed individual, ego roll, allowed every to heal back) if it does not make you sick :sick: . An INT or EGO Drain would have similar effects to a DEX drain and might be more devastating (EGO would be the best one to drain). :ugly:

This ends this

I believe one of the problems a lot of people have with this kind of attack is that it is expensive compared to a lot of other systems. It triggers a knee-jerk reaction that ‘this can not be right’ or ‘Hero is broken’. I believe this kind of attack should be expensive, because, it does effectively, instant KO the target.

All the other attacks have to battle through standard defenses and a sum of STUN to take a target out of the fight. Now you want to build something that ignores standard defenses and goes through all of the target’s STUN in a single shot? It should cost you. The Game Which Shall Not Be Named’s Sleep spell is a prime example.

I am not saying you in particular, Jaxom. Just thought this worth pointing out.

That all being said, you could probably do a powerful HA with Must Target Hit Location -½, Requires Skill Roll (Anatomy) -½, All Or Nothing -½. SFX = conscious, but paralyzed.

For this kind of attack/SFX I've always liked Transform (please don't hit me). The idea is that the Transform represents striking a number of nerve clusters (or one rather significant cluster) and "transforming" a self mobile target into a paralysed one. The transform is undone though a repeated use of the power, or a successful appropriate skill roll made by another (such as Chinese Healing, Chiatsu, KS: Pressure Points or somesuch). It's bought with a Limitation that it's versus rPD rather than Power Defense.

For this kind of attack/SFX I've always liked Transform (please don't hit me). The idea is that the Transform represents striking a number of nerve clusters (or one rather significant cluster) and "transforming" a self mobile target into a paralysed one. The transform is undone though a repeated use of the power' date=' or a successful appropriate skill roll made by another (such as Chinese Healing, Chiatsu, KS: Pressure Points or somesuch). It's bought with a Limitation that it's versus rPD rather than Power Defense.[/quote']

POW! <- Virtual hit. Come on! Do folks try and use transform for EVERYTHING! :idjit:

This seems like a classic Mental Paralysis (Based on ECV Entangle, now) power. Someone with strong will can break out of it.

Like other people have said, if no one can break out of it then it should cost a hideous amount of points -- I would just increase the DEF of the Entangle past any reasonable level.

That all being said' date=' you could probably do a powerful HA with Must Target Hit Location -½, Requires Skill Roll (Anatomy) -½, All Or Nothing -½. SFX = conscious, but paralyzed.[/quote']

I can't remember seeing this before but it is probably the best model that I can think of. Will rep you as soon as I've finished here.

When you think about it the SFX ask for an attack that renders the target incapable of acting. That is exactly what being reduced to 0 STUN or below achieves. Now you limit the attack by making it all or nothing (when target goes above 0 STUN they immediately recover to STUN prior to attack) and that the target would be able to use their senses while 'unconcious'.

Much better than other ENTANGLE based constructs and the things that should aid you in defending against it (high PD, good REC and SPD) do.

Good work.

Doc

This seems like a classic Mental Paralysis (Based on ECV Entangle' date=' now) power. Someone with strong will can break out of it.[/quote']

Only there's nothing mental about it. It's a nerve/pressure point thing. The body is unable to move regardless of the mind's will to do so. It's one of the reasons I suggested Transform. If you can turn a guy to stone, what's the different if he can still perceive everything, think, communicate vocally and mentally and even use Powers that don't require any sort of physical movement (and of course, take damage)?

Transform is based off BODY...why should a bigger guy have harder to hit pressure points? IMO one's ability to break out of something like that is more mental than physical.

More BODY equals more mass, more willingness to not be paralized, different enough or more sturty physical construction, etc... It's not just "bigger". I'm also not sure I believe that one can break out of something like this through willpower. I've known paraplegics (sp?) and not one of them could move their legs because they really really wanted to. If the nerves have been severed, or shut down, there is simply nothing to carry the signal from the brain to the body, regardless of how strong that signal is. The nerve must be reset, repaired, replaced, realigned or whatever. Maybe someone with Regen would automatically snap out of it after a period as his body corrects itself, but that's not willpower either.

Interesting discussions for sure. I *did* a search after the reminder that I could () and found an old thread that discussed the power constructs that I had thought of and mentioned the modifier I wanted (not BOECV, but just Against Ego) which makes my initial builds much more viable.

I am certain that going this route is asking for things to be expensive. As has been pointed out, it kinda bypasses the typical defenses like PD and high STUN/BODY (which is intentional). I am only looking for a duration on the order of seconds or possibly minutes, not longer.

I agree with Doc that the CourtFool has an elegant build but I don't think it is what I am looking for since the goal really is to bypass the typical defenses (which is why my original ideas leaned toward NNDs) and rely on strange things like "missing nerve cluster". The "must make KS: anatomy" or something similar is appropriate though... I'm not looking for a use-always, first-strike option... I'm looking for a counter...

Specifically, my evil GM has put me in a situation I really don't like (the whole team is up in arms, in fact)... We've got an Evil Mentalist (recurring) who has decided that he likes the idea of reanimating fallen combatants (including heroes?) and using them like puppets... Firing their guns, using powers that he understands, etc. Code Against Killing and the possibility of facing innocents and heroes all mean no killing to stop them. We need rapid, effective means of disabling or immobilizing foes until they can be disarmed or otherwise neutralized. This includes the 800 pound gorilla of a STR/CON brick with 30 points of rPD. We've got one off thinking about ways block the mental powers... Until he can do that, I was thinking about potential martial arts solutions.

I agree with Doc that the CourtFool has an elegant build but I don't think it is what I am looking for since the goal really is to bypass the typical defenses (which is why my original ideas leaned toward NNDs) and rely on strange things like "missing nerve cluster".

Well, CourtFool's build works with NND as well - and it shouldn't be too difficult to work out when the NND wouldn't work. The deciding factors would be STUN and REC about who succumbed and for how long.

Doc

I actually asked this question. The way I ended up building it was an Entangle, Based on CON not Str (+1/4) with some other mods in there. (I used the optional consecutive hits from UMA as well as placement penalties, etc.) When I get home I'll post my writeup.

Transform works quite well for this, but if you don't like that, try:

Entangle, BOECV, Takes No Damage (yeah, you got all this already, but then ...)

Add the limitation "Mental Power Based on CON." After all, it's not based on anything mental. This also helps to keep the cost down. And you can also add an "Accuracy" limitation. They're in UMA with the "dim mak" powers. IIRC, it's -1/2 for a -3 OCV.

As is the beauty of the Hero system, there are several ways to go about this. In my mind you need to define how the target character recovers from being paralyzed before you can determine which power build is the most appropriate.

As I see it (and bear in mind I do wear glasses) for a nerve strike, this is a physical thing, so mental powers are inappropriate unless the Based on CON limitation is used. I don't see that EGO or STR would help overcome nerve damage, but CON might.

If I were to build this, I would go with either the Transform mentioned earlier or a massive Drain against STR, DEX, or SPD to put the target CHA at zero or below with the limitation "No effect if CHA isn't reduced to zero or less." The target then would have to make a CHA roll to do anything, which would effectively paralyze them. (well, do you have to make a STR roll for actions at a negative STR?). I would also make the defense of the Drain hardened or resistant PD instead of Power Defense to reflect the SFX. With a Drain or a Transform, the nerve damage just slowly recovers on its own, which is a better way to represent it than an EGO roll or something IMHO.

The only two infinite things are the universe and stupidity. And I am not all that certain about the universe. - Albert Einstein.

And speaking of Nerve Strike, there's an optional rule in the UMA where you can use a plain old Nerve Strike to temporarily disable a limb (including the head!). It's a bit complicted, but a character's special ability could easily be built around it to make it easier to use during the game.

If I were to build this' date=' I would go with either the Transform mentioned earlier or a massive Drain against STR, DEX, or SPD to put the target CHA at zero or below with the limitation "No effect if CHA isn't reduced to zero or less."[/quote']

Yes. A large SPD Drain is also a good way to go. You don't necessarily even need the "All or Nothing" limitation. You can just say they're "partially paralyzed" - slowed down but still moving. This works quite well on normals/henchmen/agents.

I actually asked this question. The way I ended up building it was an Entangle' date=' Based on CON not Str (+1/4) with some other mods in there. (I used the optional consecutive hits from UMA as well as placement penalties, etc.) When I get home I'll post my writeup.[/quote']

Here's the build my GM and I finally Agreed on.

Paralytic Touch: Entangle 2d6, 4 DEF, Requires A KS: Chinese Healing Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; +0), Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Works vs CON, not STR (+1/4), Affects Desolidified Cannot be escape via Desolidification (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (97 Active Points); Timing Must Be Perfect (Attacker cannot miss a phase or a hit) (-1), Must Make A Special Sequence of Blows (3 blows) (-1/2), Must Make Very Accurate Blows Against Target (-3 OCV for placement) (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), 8 Charges (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Can be cured by Chinese Healing (-1/4) Real Cost: 21

That all being said' date=' you could probably do a powerful HA with Must Target Hit Location -½, Requires Skill Roll (Anatomy) -½, All Or Nothing -½. SFX = conscious, but paralyzed.[/quote']

Try also Only for Incapacitating (-1/4 I'd say), meaning don't count any Stun damage from this attack for purposes of the effects of being below -10 Stun (target stays somewhat aware of his/her surroundings and cannot be automatically killed if only this damage takes him/her below -10 Stun, and the rate of Recoveries does not decrease due to this damage).