Hulk Promotion

Guest i8flesh

Guest i8flesh

In the June issue of Game Trade Magazine we ran a Hulk promo.

Champions, Silver Age Sentinels, Marvel, and Mutants and Masterminds each gave you their versions of the green monstrosity. Each written by their respective publishers, so this is as close to "official" as you get.

Have you seen it? What are your impressions?

If you haven't seen it yet, what are you waiting for? Go to your local retail store and ask for a copy of the June issue of Game Trade Magazine today!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a website with the old MSH game to Champions conversions. I don't agree with all of the conventions though. He bases STR on imagined damage dealing as opposed to lifting. Problem is he's using a converted value to alter a measurable one to his liking. MSH states how much each hero can lift with a given ability score. To me that's the place to start and work out DC from there.

By new marvel I'm guessing you mean the game being produced currently?

Re: Hulk Promotion

Originally posted by i8flesh

Champions, Silver Age Sentinels, Marvel, and Mutants and Masterminds each gave you their versions of the green monstrosity. Each written by their respective publishers, so this is as close to "official" as you get.

If you haven't seen it yet, what are you waiting for? Go to your local retail store and ask for a copy of the June issue of Game Trade Magazine today!

As it was on the cover I was expecting something about the crossover adventure other than the brief pre-order blurb. That said I was very pleased to see the Hulk variations. I would have bought the issue for that alone and if you do more things along this line I might become a regular.

Originally posted by Morningstar70

Sad news - MSH or Marvel Saga are not represented in this one. Hang on though... I have my old game disk.

AGILITY TO DEXTERITY/Speed

For Values less than 10, add 5 to (Agility Marvel x 2.5). For values greater than 10, subtract 10 from the DEX, and add the result to 30.

For Example:

The Thing has Agility 6. 6 x 2.5 = 15 + 5 = 20.

Captain America has Agility 10. 10 x 2.5 = 25 + 5 = 30.

Spider-Man has Agility 14. 14-10 = 4. 30 + 4 = 34.

Silver Surfer has Agility 20. 20 - 10 = 10. 30 + 10 = 40.

Not to be too picky, but the system for greater than ten looks like add 20 (subtract 10 add 30). Am I missing something?

I think Hulk starts out a little stronger than a 70.

The Aid should aid his Super-Strength tricks as well.

I think his PD and ED should be a tad higher.

His speed actually increases when he gets mad as well. This would be difficult to quantify.

He needs reduced endurance on his strength.

Re: Hulk Promotion

I liked it, but it was said elsewhere that the character info had to be trimmed down to fit on one page. I know that there's limited space for the info, but in the future, could the additional info be located on one of the back pages? Is there plans to do this for the other Marvel movies that are planned for the near future?

Mightybec

Are we talking Marvel tons? ;)

I was thinking that as well.

Check the Damage Reduction. He's good enough. Nothing conventional is going to give him anything more than a short headache on the way to inducing him to give him that 26 Dice pounding you so richly deserve for MAKE HULK MAD!

When Lee and Kirby or Lee and Ditko were doing the Hulk, he was VERY acrobatic and agile. I remember classically one scene where the Hulk did a somersault over a bridge from the back of a truck, over traffic, to land back on the truck.

Hulk have 100 End and 32 REC. Hulk not get tired.

The Hulk may not functionally need the reduced endurance but he has it (or had it when I read the title) in the comics.

Everyone has 0 End on their strength in the comics.

Now, now, now, they have mentioned in the Hulk stories that he doesn't get tired as the rage just makes him stronger. I remember the Thing complaining about this in his thought baloons as he tried to figure out how to keep his head from being removed from his shoulders by the Hulk.

Under new marvel stats the hulk has the accelerated healing. this covers his never tiring. the new system is pretty damn good actually. an very easy to convert to other systems.

Hulks strength range......

Starts at 10 -this is the ability to lift 100 tons. This has always been his strength since the first marvel RPG.

But when angry he gets up to a Strenngth 18. they don't give the scale for numbers above 10 on the D&R chart. but you can get the D&R chart from their site if you want to try to see how the stats work in the system, and how you would convert them ( http://www.marvel.com/murpg) . There is also a sheet with stats for Spiderman and Storm, and I also have this info linked at the forums (http://murpg.proboards19.com).

Originally posted by Kid Chaos

There's a website with the old MSH game to Champions conversions. I don't agree with all of the conventions though. He bases STR on imagined damage dealing as opposed to lifting. Problem is he's using a converted value to alter a measurable one to his liking. MSH states how much each hero can lift with a given ability score. To me that's the place to start and work out DC from there.

By new marvel I'm guessing you mean the game being produced currently?

I agree. Being that it is the easiest, if not the only quantifiable attribute then I always think that is the best place to start.

Guest i8flesh

It wasn't that there was extra character info that was cut. It was part of the design parameters that we gave each of the companies. We do have limited space, so I requested that they each design their versions of the Hulk, using their systems, but it all has to fit upon one page.

I think it really shows the difference between each of the systems well with one page. Champions is much more detail oriented than the other systems, and so their page has more text.

I'm not sure who at each company did the specific write-ups. If Darren did the Hulk, he is quite a fan boy, lots of small details. A 648 pt Hulk is quite impressive.

We currently do not have any plans to do this for any of the other upcoming movies. But we do have other promotions in upcoming issues that are just as interesting.

Please visit your local retailer and ask him for a copy of the magazine each month. This is the only way we will be able to bring you such great promotions as this.

We currently do not have any plans to do this for any of the other upcoming movies. But we do have other promotions in upcoming issues that are just as interesting.

You could do it for the Punisher next year! Dark Champions is coming out "mid-2004", and if I can believe the poster I saw yesterday, so is the Punisher movie. If the order is right (book before movie) I think it would be cool.

Guest i8flesh

There is also Hellboy and Lady Death.

We will see. I am not opposed to it. I think this was one of the best promos that we have done. Right up there with having Larry Elmore draw your player character.

I liked looking at the articles.

It was interesting to see how the Hero System writeup was much longer and more detailed than the others, and the author claims he had to trim and edit to fit. SAS took half a sheet, M&M didn't even use their most compact format, and the Marvel Universe RPG looks like it could be boiled down into a very short paragraph.

I don't know the Marvel Universe RPG very well, but it's interesting that Hulk (while very powerful) looks like he could be defeated by characters from each of the other universes. Grond, at only 410 points, could stand toe to toe with Hulk for a while. Dr. Destroyer would probably even win. Kreuzritter or Sentinel would give Hulk an incredible battle, as might Capt. Thunder or some of the really powerful M&M villains.

Kind of makes me wonder what SAS Hulk, ported through the Reality Storm conversion system, might look like compared to Darren's Hulk.

Originally posted by Tom McCarthy

I don't know the Marvel Universe RPG very well, but it's interesting that Hulk (while very powerful) looks like he could be defeated by characters from each of the other universes. Grond, at only 410 points, could stand toe to toe with Hulk for a while. Dr. Destroyer would probably even win. Kreuzritter or Sentinel would give Hulk an incredible battle, as might Capt. Thunder or some of the really powerful M&M villains.

Well, that has been the way the Hulk has been depicted most often over the years: the strongest of the other Marvel bricks could give him a solid fight for a certain period, until the Hulk got so mad that his power simply became overwhelming. In theory if you're going to beat the Hulk you have to do so early in the fight, but Darren has given Hulk such formidable defenses and Recovery that he would be difficult for almost any opponent to finish off quickly.

This version of the Hulk is very similar to my own modifications to Grond to make him more Hulk-like, especially the use of Aid (although I had the Aid work for Endurance as well). The magnitude is about the same, too. Note that if you raise the Hulk's base Strength to 90, his max would be 150, doing as much damage as Dr. Destroyer's biggest attack Power, which seems like a reasonable upper limit.