Clarification: Grond is not the Strongest One There IS

Agent X

Read it and weep, Grond fans, Gargantua on page 152-153 of Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks has a strength of 100 at a height of 32". I only bring this up in this flashy way because there are some people on the threads who have said that they are using Grond as a benchmark of the top strength in the Champions Universe and they didn't give me the impression that they knew that wasn't the DOJ take on the CU. Grond only has a 90.

There, I just had to get that off my chest. :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly under 4th Edition a STR of 90 was the benchmark. The only characters with more that I'm aware of were Ymir the Frost Giant from the original Champions Universe at 95, and the generic "giant Japanese reptile" from the 4E Bestiary at 115. Contrary to earlier reports (and the implication of the text description of his abilities in Classic Enemies) 4E Ripper's temporary Strength boost as written on his character sheet would raise it to 90 (without Pushing, of course). The original version of Ripper from the Escape from Stronghold adventure did go up to STR 100, which leads me to think that he was scaled back so that Grond would still be the strongest humanoid. Mind you, the new CU sourcebook asserts that Ripper's boost makes him "consistently stronger than Grond."

Don't know about anyone else, but I plan to graft much of Darren Watts's fine Hulk writeup onto Grond for my campaign. (So I want a Hulk clone, sue me.) :P

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Contrary to earlier reports (and the implication of the text description of his abilities in Classic Enemies) 4E Ripper's temporary Strength boost as written on his character sheet would raise it to 90 (without Pushing, of course). The original version of Ripper from the Escape from Stronghold adventure did go up to STR 100, which leads me to think that he was scaled back so that Grond would still be the strongest humanoid. Mind you, the new CU sourcebook asserts that Ripper's boost makes him "consistently stronger than Grond."

Actually, I think we are both wrong. Ripper's STR should be 95 when boosted. Ripper has a base STR of 50, and then 3 levels of Growth (incorrectly listed as 1 level), and then +30 boost. That is a total of 95. With that he is "consistently stronger than Grond."

Originally posted by Monolith

Actually, I think we are both wrong. Ripper's STR should be 95 when boosted. Ripper has a base STR of 50, and then 3 levels of Growth (incorrectly listed as 1 level), and then +30 boost. That is a total of 95. With that he is "consistently stronger than Grond."

You know, we're still both wrong. :o You're right that by the points calculation in Classic Enemies it should be three levels of Growth rather than one, but the book claims that that's already figured into Ripper's Strength listing. Well, let's see: he's got 12 pts. added to the Cost of his STR with the OIF and No Figured Limitations, which should work out to +25 STR for 35 total... 3 levels of Growth for +15 STR, brings the total to 50 which tallies with his character sheet... then the Strength boost is listed as +30, with 4 Charges, OIF and No Figured to bring the cost of the boost to 10 Real Points, that matches the writeup... which gives Ripper a maximum Strength of 80 without Pushing, still less than Grond's 90.

Thank heaven for the 5E playtesters! :rolleyes:

which gives Ripper a maximum Strength of 80 without Pushing, still less than Grond's 90.

Steve is just going to have to fix that then. We cannot have a wimpy Ripper running around in 5th Edition! :)

Thank heaven for the 5E playtesters! :rolleyes:

I made the mistake because I was sleep deprived. Yeah, that's it. Sleep deprived. I am not a bad playtester. Really! :)

Originally posted by Monolith

I made the mistake because I was sleep deprived. Yeah, that's it. Sleep deprived. I am not a bad playtester. Really! :)

Hey, Mon, no criticism of you intended! Quite the opposite, actually: you and your cohorts are a big reason why so few of this type of error creep into 5E books.

You can hardly be blamed for misinterpreting the math in the character construction in some 4th Edition products - it's almost proof of chaos theory. ;)

Originally posted by Steve Long

To paraphrase Rule 3 from 5E 336, "Just because I don't disagree with you doesn't mean I agree." :)

Though in this case, I don't disagree. I've never said Grond was the strongest character, period, in the CU, and he's manifestly not, so it's kinda hard to argue. ;)

But we like argueing... We LIVE for it

Originally posted by Steve Long

To paraphrase Rule 3 from 5E 336, "Just because I don't disagree with you doesn't mean I agree." :)

Though in this case, I don't disagree. I've never said Grond was the strongest character, period, in the CU, and he's manifestly not, so it's kinda hard to argue. ;)

Ahah! I'm right anyway. Ahahahahahhahahahaha!:D

Anyways, have we only sceen just a tip of the iceburg when we see supervillians in the Champions Universe? We only have one Enimies book, and a few villians here and there in Champions, Champions Universe, and Milimum City, with more 'comming soon' in VIPER, and other books. In other words, you people are baseing your information on incomplete information.

Not that any information will ever become compleat in the ever changing world of the Champions anyways...

Hey, Mon, no criticism of you intended! Quite the opposite, actually: you and your cohorts are a big reason why so few of this type of error creep into 5E books.

I shudder to recall the level of typos in 4th Edition books.

Originally posted by steriaca

In other words, you people are baseing your information on incomplete information.

I agree, but we have to work with what he have. There will be no new “Enemies†book before 2005 so all we have to mine villains from over the next 18 months are VIPER, UNTIL (might not even have any villains), The Mystic World, DEMON, and Vibora Bay. I am not including the Dark Champions books, as I do not know the true extent of them as of yet - meaning I am not sure if they will be street-level supers or more geared toward James Bond-type stuff. Assuming less than a dozen badguys in each of those books we are probably looking at another 40-50 new villains before a new "Enemies" book is published. I would doubt that more then 2 or 3 of those 50 would be stronger than Grond. My guess would be only Ripper and Tyrannon, and then maybe one more surprise villain.

Originally posted by Enforcer84

In my game Grond has a 150 str.

He is the strongest. You sorta lose.:D

CRAP DOn'T TELL STEVE LONG THAT! Herogames can't afford to recall all the books and reissue them with the changed stats for Grondand its to big a deal for them just to Errata it! Its Economic Suicide!

PLEASE DON'T MENTION YOUR STAT AGAIN!

(insert crappy emoticon. Man I don't like them. They're gayer than my dad thinks I am.)