Clarification: Grond is not the Strongest One There IS

Agent X

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Ndreare

Actualy it is as the rules OFFICIALY allow you to change anything you want.

That is a silly statement. "Officially" modifying a suggestion that you can change a rule does not change the official point value. Why are you posting a semantic dispute anyway?

• 3 weeks later...

The Strongest is.... HULK

In the Offical write-up in the Games Trader Magizine for the month of June, Hero System (along with SAS, Marvel, and MnM) all did a Hulk conversion to promote the movie...

Hulk has a STR of 80. He also has "Madder Hulk Gets, Stronger Hulk Gets" Aid of 2d6 max of 60 pts of STR. That tops out at an astounding 140 STR.

Hulk smash puny Grond.....:D

Re: The Strongest is.... HULK

Originally posted by Tombstone_Frank

In the Offical write-up in the Games Trader Magizine for the month of June, Hero System (along with SAS, Marvel, and MnM) all did a Hulk conversion to promote the movie...

Hulk has a STR of 80. He also has "Madder Hulk Gets, Stronger Hulk Gets" Aid of 2d6 max of 60 pts of STR. That tops out at an astounding 140 STR.

Yes! Hulk does smash puny Grond! :) :) :)

The comical thing to me is when people describe things in heroese. so and so is 32" tall and has a strength of 100. to the non hero folks out there that has got to sound weird. that is why I found the book to be so hard to read. I have played champions since my 11th birthday in '82 and i see the structure of the game has remained pretty much unchanged. It is like having an rpg/tactical game combo. as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I did adapt a narrative style for combat in champions a long time ago. so there have been no ''evening of combat" scenarios for me. anyway, I always liked RIPPER. I can't wait for the VIPER book.

Re: The Strongest is.... HULK

Originally posted by Tombstone_Frank

That's just plain overkill, IMO.

Re: Re: The Strongest is.... HULK

Originally posted by Kristopher

Maybe, but I've seen him swing a train and it's cars like a bicycle chain and hold up a collapsing mountain range. I think they're being pretty conservative. There's always a problem translating a fluid medium like a comic to a fixed point like a set of RPG stats since the writers have the character do whatever the story calls for, while the RPG stats establish boundaries everyine abides by.

It's always possible to adjust Hulk's maximum up or down depending on your concept; but now that Champions has allowed Dr. Destroyer a 30 DC attack, Hulk needs to stay competitive. ;)

It's actually been said in various "official" Marvel sources that no one is sure if the Hulk really has an upper limit to his enhanced strength. That's one concept that's hard to do in HERO unless you allow the pure cheese of an Aid to Strength that also Aids itself at the same time, so that the maximum keeps rising.

In the case of Darren Watts's fine Hulk writeup in Game Trader, though, it would take a couple of Turns of him being Enraged for him to reach his upper limit. That's quite a bit of time in a HERO combat, giving opponents a chance to take the Hulk down before his strength becomes overwhelming.

Re: Re: The Strongest is.... HULK

Have you read the Hulk? He would be a threat for Dr. Destroyer by himself. Many comic book heroes would have to be built with three or four or more times as many points as a typical champions character.

I meant that the character itself is overkill. I've never understood the appeal of massive, excessive, rediculous power. Characters capable of holding up mountain ranges are silly. (Never mind that a "mountain range" isn't in any way a single object that could be held up.) Superman kicking the moon out of orbit is patently silly -- there's a reason they scaled his power level way down. Throwing a battleship is borderline (since it assumes that the battleship could withstand its own weight on one point).

I know I'm running very much against the grain of comic books here, but as I've said before, there are parts of the comic book genre I simply don't care for. 4-Color settings, absurd power levels / feats, and lack of continuity/consistency are right there at the top of the list.

I meant that the character itself is overkill. I've never understood the appeal of massive, excessive, rediculous power. Characters capable of holding up mountain ranges are silly. (Never mind that a "mountain range" isn't in any way a single object that could be held up.) Superman kicking the moon out of orbit is patently silly -- there's a reason they scaled his power level way down. Throwing a battleship is borderline (since it assumes that the battleship could withstand its own weight on one point).

I know I'm running very much against the grain of comic books here, but as I've said before, there are parts of the comic book genre I simply don't care for. 4-Color settings, absurd power levels / feats, and lack of continuity/consistency are right there at the top of the list.

I like that stuff. If I wanted realism I would read crime thrillers or something.

Depends on what you read. Superman was scaled down, yes. His powers, as they are defined, also changed. Forcefield (very close to his skin. His jammies don't get trashed, but his cape does), tactile tk (how do you think Superboy got it?). His strength comes from his solar charged cells, his heat vision comes from tapping the power directly.

Tactile TK is TK no Range, affects porous substances. Superboy has it, but DC has backed off from John Byrne's initial suggestion that Superman has it. It does make sense to assume, though that Superman's powers are all mental. Flight, Invulnerability, and Strength as manifestations of TK, X-Ray Vision as Remote Seeing, Heat Vision as Pyrokenesis and cold breath as Cryokenesis...

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

I prefer the classic invulnerable Superman to the Forcefield Superman (rip the suit, just keep it comics code approved).

Now, I have to ask ... I've seen the phrase 'tactile TK' in a few places, but I don't read Superboy, so ... what the heck does 'tactile telekinesis' actually mean or do?

It keeps the battleship from collapsing in on itself when Superman picks it up.

Guest zarglif69

Read the section in Champions about "superhero physics." suspend your disbelief. Anyways, I agree with you. On one occaision Superman pushed the Earth.

Re: Re: Re: The Strongest is.... HULK

Originally posted by Superskrull

There's always a problem translating a fluid medium like a comic to a fixed point like a set of RPG stats since the writers have the character do whatever the story calls for, while the RPG stats establish boundaries everyine abides by.

It wouldn't be a problem writing a set of roleplaying rules that really simulate comics. I'm currently working on them, in between other projects.

Champions simulates 'genre weirdness' to some extent with soliloquies that take no time and so on. I plan to have rules for things like the writer forgetting a hero has a particular power, characters being more powerful in their own comic book, innocents not getting hurt nearly as often as they should in urban hero battles*, amazing coincidences and more.

*This rule wouldn't apply in an Authority style game.

It's not real-world realism I'm looking for, just "within-setting realism." Given that there are beings with fantastic superhuman abilties, logically expand from there.

If a character has saved the city scores of times, the city should not instantly demand his head the first time a shapeshifter "puts on his face" and robs a freakin bank.

I want consistency. If a character can lift a battleship in issue 9, he should be able to easily lift a bus in issue 17. If A and B are a match in a fight, and B and C are a match in a fight, then (barring some logical reason) A and C should be a match in a fight -- C should not take A out in three moves or less.

Originally posted by Morningstar70

It all depends on the tactics, and the luck of the hit.

Namor doesn't just punch out Ben. He takes hits until he finds a way to turn the environment against the Thing.

I mean, it drives me nuts when people say strength is the only determining factor in a fight. Tactics, terrain, resourcefulness.

The Thing has been swatted around by characters who can only lift less than 2/3'ds of what he can because they're faster, or use better tactics or both.

I'm trying to find where I said strength was the only determining factor.

It's not real-world realism I'm looking for, just "within-setting realism." Given that there are beings with fantastic superhuman abilties, logically expand from there.

If a character has saved the city scores of times, the city should not instantly demand his head the first time a shapeshifter "puts on his face" and robs a freakin bank.

I want consistency. If a character can lift a battleship in issue 9, he should be able to easily lift a bus in issue 17. If A and B are a match in a fight, and B and C are a match in a fight, then (barring some logical reason) A and C should be a match in a fight -- C should not take A out in three moves or less.

Well, on strength, you could either go with a fixed weight and only a fixed weight or a table like this:

Strength roll

70% of normal max = str. roll +3

80% of normal max = str. roll +2

90% of normal max = str. roll +1

100% of normal max = str. roll

110% of normal max = str. roll -2

120% of normal max = str. roll -4

130% of normal max = str. roll -6

etc.