Stretching a point

BigJackBrass

Reading the "Worst Superfight" thread I started thinking about fights I'd like to see. Wolverine vs Sabretooth in, um, Uncanny X-Men 213 I think it was counts as one of the best running fight scenes, but has anyone ever pitched Mr Fantastic against Plastic Man? My money would be on Plas, because he's something of a favourite of mine and his Warner Bros version of physics ought to be able to out-gonzo Reed at every turn. Then it struck me that in all of the supers games I've run not one single, solitary player has ever created a stretchy hero, which means that I've never had to tackle multiple elastic characters in combat.

Does anyone have experience of stretchy supers fighting each other? I'm of a mind to contrive such a scene and I'm wondering if my fellow Heroes have any particular tips, suggestions or pitfalls to watch for.

Re: Stretching a point

I don't necessarily see such a conflict as being boring or static, any more than two bricks or two martial artists fighting. As long as each combatant has some kind of damaging power, just apply the same creativity and tactical sense as you would for any other fight, roll the dice and see what develops. :)

I do want to add that the Mr. Fantastic vs Plastic Man scenario is a bit of a special case. As he's been depicted Plastic Man is the king of malleability, and would almost certainly give Reed Richards a literal Gordian Knot in a stretching contest. However, Reed's greatest power has never been stretching, but his incredible intellect. Mr. Fantastic has been beaten lots of times, but then he retires to his lab, whips up some technobabble gizmo to even the odds, and returns to kick butt.

I'll grant you that Plas will likely win the first battle, but for my money Mr. F wins the war.

I'll grant you that Plas will likely win the first battle, but for my money Mr. F wins the war.

Oh you big spoilsport :D It's probably true, sad to say. That Richards guy is just so damned serious all the time, though. Maybe if he dressed like Plas it would improve his attitude...

The difference, as I see it, between a couple of bricks slugging it out or two martial artists blocking every attack and a couple of stretchers practically tied up in knots is pretty much down to the entertainment value. I'm pondering a few ideas to encourage players to respond with more than just strangleholds, basically creating a villain who fights more like Plas does.

Reed Richards is kind of cool. But I grew up in that period of time when PlasticMan had his own cartoon. I *HATE* PlasticMan.

I think that general hate has extended to Stretchers and I have never ever used one. The only time I have ever used Stretching as a power is to add a couple inches of reach to a weapon or a naturally large person.

Reed Richards is kind of cool. But I grew up in that period of time when PlasticMan had his own cartoon. I *HATE* PlasticMan.

Oh heavens. I remember that cartoon... Thanks so much for dredging that memory from the vault... :D Read the original comics, or even Kyle Baker's recent revival, which isn't bad. Avoid almost everything from the 1960s.

I think that general hate has extended to Stretchers and I have never ever used one. The only time I have ever used Stretching as a power is to add a couple inches of reach to a weapon or a naturally large person.

It does seem a much underused power. Perhaps players feel that there is nothing they can do to personalise a stretchy character - they'll always be thought of as Reed Richards or Plas clones. Even The Incredibles doesn't seem to have created a boom in stretchy characters, at least in the games I'm seeing.

Oh heavens. I remember that cartoon... Thanks so much for dredging that memory from the vault... :D Read the original comics, or even Kyle Baker's recent revival, which isn't bad. Avoid almost everything from the 1960s.

It does seem a much underused power. Perhaps players feel that there is nothing they can do to personalise a stretchy character - they'll always be thought of as Reed Richards or Plas clones. Even The Incredibles doesn't seem to have created a boom in stretchy characters, at least in the games I'm seeing.

Well the Incredibles inspired me to create Kid Incredible so now at least you know one person inspired to make a stretchy character. :)

We actually had a stretchy character in my very first Champions game, set in a mish-mash of various settings including Marvel and DC along with the standard Shampions set (I miss Solitaire, if only for the costume. *sigh*)

Our team's stretcho was called Plasticine or something like that, and his secret ID was... Justin Credible. (White-out for those with a low pun-threshold.)

Anyway, he had recently developed the ability to grow 2 extra pairs of arms when he ended up tangling (lit.) with the female Doctor Octopus. They seemed to get a little, ehem, caught up in their "wrestling match".

As for Plastic Man vs. Mr Fantastic, I could just see this exchange...

Sue: Reed's wrestling with Plastic Man, how can we help him?

Ben: At least you hope that's wrestling.

Sue glares at Ben

Johnny: I've got a bottle of KY they could use.

Sue and Ben glare at Johnny.

Johnny: What?

Does anyone have experience of stretchy supers fighting each other? I'm of a mind to contrive such a scene and I'm wondering if my fellow Heroes have any particular tips' date=' suggestions or pitfalls to watch for.[/quote']No experience, but an ideal to aspire to.

Have you read Fantastic Four #75: Worlds Within Worlds, in Essential Fantastic Four vol. 4? It features three of the Fantastic Four (Reed, Ben and Johnny) versus evil opposites created by Galactus.

Reed solved the problem by switching partners, to win with paper - scissors - rock tactics. Till then, it was a deadlock, but a lively, interesting one.

Have you read Fantastic Four #75: Worlds Within Worlds, in Essential Fantastic Four vol. 4? It features three of the Fantastic Four (Reed, Ben and Johnny) versus evil opposites created by Galactus.

Reed solved the problem by switching partners, to win with paper - scissors - rock tactics. Till then, it was a deadlock, but a lively, interesting one.

That definitely sounds worth a read (ahem... worth a Reed, geddit?) and I've been steadily picking up the Essentials books recently... but hadn't made it as far as FF 4. Thanks for the tip.

I seem to recall an old comic - maybe DC Comics Presents - that teamed Elongated man, Elastic Lad, Plastic Man and another DC stretcher (can't think of who it might have been) and featured a cover of these characters intertwined.

EDIT: Not perfect recall, but...

have a look

The fourth character only appeared in that issue, I believe.

I seem to recall an old comic - maybe DC Comics Presents - that teamed Elongated man, Elastic Lad, Plastic Man and another DC stretcher (can't think of who it might have been) and featured a cover of these characters intertwined.

EDIT: Not perfect recall, but...

have a look

The fourth character only appeared in that issue, I believe.

I can't see the green guy's face very well, but the costume might be Rubberneck.

That definitely sounds worth a read (ahem... worth a Reed' date=' geddit?) and I've been steadily picking up the Essentials books recently... but hadn't made it as far as [i']FF 4.[/i] Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome. :)

Reading the Reed/Reed fight...

What the stretching fight boiled down to before Reed's order to change partners was a series of grabs and breakouts (with pushing), plus what looks like a one hex area effect killing attack against which Reed blocked successfully using his stretching as a special effect.

I guess the moral for the gamemaster would be to think about pairing basic physical combat actions and flashy special effects before the fight starts.