Powers That Shouldn't Have Been Approved

Elysea

I use the following steps. Although if it is really bad I just jump to step 4.

1- Sometimes the power is kind of OK; it can just be abused if the GM lets it. In that case I give the player a warning. This has worked for me once, but most of the time it does not work. So I move on to step 2. (As a matter of fact I am GMing a guy right now that has the summon power to summon Shadow Demons, I have warned him about the miss use of this power. I will be interested to see if he listens to that warning or not. Only time will tell.)

2- If the power is just a little out of wack, I modify it so it fits in the campaign better.

3- I squash the power cut it out of the game all together.

4- If all else fails, the character slips on a banana peal and breaks his neck. Or get teleported in to the sun. Or any one of a number of fun things gm’s can use to squash an unbalanced/abusive character.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The USPD actually has the best solution to the 'What In The Name Of The Almighty Kiwi Have I Allowed In My Game' effect ... under Radiation Powers, there's a power called Radiation Accident, which does exactly what it sounds like.

Talk to the player, tell him that you made a mistake. However, make it clear that you can't allow that mistake to continue to wreck the game.

Offer him the option of falling subject to the Radiation Accident; to be fair (heck, more than fair), let him redistribute the points lost by losing the BAH-ROKEN power, since he should never have had it in the first place.

This is better, to me, than just re-writing the character completely OOCly, and he loses an ability that he technically had before. One of those 'maintaining continuity' numbers.

a low end brick with the same powers but a hammer/pick might be even stealthier. Problem is Supperessors are not perfect. many smgs end up sounding like .22 rifles, iirc.

Originally posted by Wyrm Ouroboros

I ... am SO glad my players don't read these boards. And I am so gonna use this guy in my 'Suddenly, Mutants' Dark Champions-esque campaign...

I got stomped on because I bought a penetrating HKA. The didn't let me add strength. Only reason I bought it was that the penetrating RKA was inadequate imho. I guess I do have munchkin tendencies. Too bad all my characters are totally inefficient.

I was working on 2 linked 2d6 autofire Penetrating reduced pen reduced end Energy RKA - needle laser blaster. Also called the shredder :)

It was designed for a dark future military weapon. When I told him about it, my friend asked "did you come up with that yourself? It is nasty." NO Respect I tell ya. :)

Originally posted by Demonsong

I would probably put a stop to that also. :cool:

I had a player with a Werewolf character. His schtick was that he worked like the movie were wolves that ignored most of what wasn't silver and could keep getting back up.

Among his other powers, he had a 4d6 aid to Stun with a Trigger set to go off when he was knocked below zero stun.

I came to hate that charcter.

4th Edition, 3d6 Aid, simplified healing, bought 0 END Persistent. Applied as 'every one of my phases I'm hurt, I get back 3d6 stun and the body from that.

Approved by previous GMs, they won't accept how wrong it is, or what a correct version would do.

Now, imagine said power on a character with half damage reduction.

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

Say, Jhamin ... uh, wouldn't he only get back a maximum of 24 points of STUN from that power until some of the aided points 'wore off'?

Yes, "only" 24 stun. That was one of the ways he convinced me.

Problem was this character had a huge recovery & Ok defences & damage reduction. The bad guys were luck to knock him down to negative stun at all. Once they did, he popped right back up & usally took a recovery. In play the effect was that he got close to a full recovery as soon as he went below 0 stun, no matter how far down he was or when his next action was. It wasn't so much that you couldn't put him down, it was that he wouldn't stay down. Ever.

Originally posted by Jhamin

Yes, "only" 24 stun. That was one of the ways he convinced me.

Problem was this character had a huge recovery & Ok defences & damage reduction. The bad guys were luck to knock him down to negative stun at all. Once they did, he popped right back up & usally took a recovery. In play the effect was that he got close to a full recovery as soon as he went below 0 stun, no matter how far down he was or when his next action was. It wasn't so much that you couldn't put him down, it was that he wouldn't stay down. Ever.

That would be a fun character. Eventually, some of the more resourceful villains would entangle the fellow as soon as an opportunity came up to do so.:)

Originally posted by Jhamin

I had a player with a Werewolf character. His schtick was that he worked like the movie were wolves that ignored most of what wasn't silver and could keep getting back up.

Among his other powers, he had a 4d6 aid to Stun with a Trigger set to go off when he was knocked below zero stun.

I came to hate that charcter.

Funny, I seem to recall a werewolf player in one of my groups like that also. Coincidence?

John Spencer

Originally posted by Agent X

That would be a fun character. Eventually, some of the more resourceful villains would entangle the fellow as soon as an opportunity came up to do so.:)

That's what his claws were for.

Did I mention I came to hate this character?

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

I'm surprised you never just had somebody do the old 'insurance shot' for double damage in the same phase when he got KOed. :)

Ah, but the trigger was set to "when he is below 0" so there was never actually a phase when he was down before it went off.

I ended up with villains firing off stupendous coordinated attacks several phases in a row to max out his aid while preventing him from recovering before they could bring him down.