Caution : Superhero at Work

Drhoz

One of the events in our recent game involved one character innocently suggesting to another, that if he wanted to know about war, he should go visit Mars. The other character promptly did so, returning in 80 minutes with a shiny rock that had caught his eye.

The rock was just a rock, but NASA was *very* interested in somebody who could do sample-return missions to anywhere in the solar system, at light-speed. Carrying up to roughly his own body weight (altho it would need to be well protected, since anything his does carry tends to catch fire).

He's also immune to heat and radiation, being, as he is, an avatar of the Sun.

So, can anybody suggest and ideas NASA or private contracters could use him for - given the slight problem that he has the mental age and maturity of a three-year-old?

Re: Caution : Superhero at Work

Hm. If it is known that he has the mental age and maturity of a three-year-old' date=' there are a fair few organisations that would object to him "working" for anyone, regardless of his other abilities.[/quote']

that's one of the problems. He also has a tendancy to rush off before the person talking to him has finished giving him instructions...

So, can anybody suggest and ideas NASA or private contracters could use him for - given the slight problem that he has the mental age and maturity of a three-year-old?

Not much; any agency shelling out a large amount of money, or asking for an important task to be performed, cannot afford the random chance factor of having a three-year old (mental or otherwise) involved.

:(

Not much; any agency shelling out a large amount of money, or asking for an important task to be performed, cannot afford the random chance factor of having a three-year old (mental or otherwise) involved.

:(

of course, there's no problem with him working in a superhero group ;D

but yes, his impulsiveness is a problem with serious missions. his almost human-normal vision wouldn't help much any further out than Saturn, either...

"So there were a couple of green guys and... hey! Look! A dog with a fluffy tail!"

What is it about gamers that draws them to toons with mental ages of three, anywa... hey! a dog with a fluffy tail!

dunno. maybe it's the.. ooh, shiny!

One thing you might want to do is show him where the International Space Station is, and get him to make friends. That way, should anything bad happen, he could reasonably reliably get there and fetch stranded astronauts. Possibly even ferry astronauts to there. Not something you could do every day (he'd get bored), but good for emergencies or the occasional jaunt.

Given the cost of a probe to Pluto (or wherever), I think they could build 10 payloads and hope he delivers one correctly. At least a landing probe; with those there's no problem getting it in a stable orbit.

Once he's trained to drop off stuff, he could do the same over and over. The initial training phase might only have "beeper" payloads; very cheap (relatively) transmitters that we could check survived the delivery.

Given the cost of a probe to Pluto (or wherever), I think they could build 10 payloads and hope he delivers one correctly. At least a landing probe; with those there's no problem getting it in a stable orbit.

Once he's trained to drop off stuff, he could do the same over and over. The initial training phase might only have "beeper" payloads; very cheap (relatively) transmitters that we could check survived the delivery.

good idea - but he'ld need pretty good lessons to help him find Pluto in the first place - it's dark out there!

"Ok.. just fly out that way a few hours.. see if you hit anything.. and put this on it"

They could pay him a shiny new nickel for every bit of space junk he got out of orbit.

He could easily take specialty repair parts /supplies to the ISS.

He could be there just as a safety factor for EVA activities.

Oh, I LIKE that one - and he probably will too, at least until he mistakes his first kill-sat for space junk.

While Avatar may only be three years old, his mental and emotional maturity is more like that of an eight year-old. The Sun (Helios/Ra/Amateresu/Ra/Shamash etc...) imbued Avatar with a fail amount of knowledge. It's just that it was gleaned from radio signals from earth.

Yes, it's more frightening than a three year-old. It's an eight year-old, whose understanding of the world comes almost entirely from television, and has the power to melt entire buldings.:angst:

:eg:I've got the understanding of a 4-year-old

I've got the piece of mind of a killer soul

I've got the rationale of a new york cop

I've got the patience of a chopping block yeah

Trip like i do:eg:

Scientist: "See this robot? His name is Mechanon and...."

Mechanon: "Puny humans, you will all die!"

Scientist: "Oh dear, too bad we can't put him on Mars, I think he would be so much happier up there."

***ZOOM***

Scientist to other scientist: "And you said, I couldn't get Mechanon to help explore Mars."

:eg:

While Avatar may only be three years old, his mental and emotional maturity is more like that of an eight year-old. The Sun (Helios/Ra/Amateresu/Ra/Shamash etc...) imbued Avatar with a fail amount of knowledge. It's just that it was gleaned from radio signals from earth.

Yes, it's more frightening than a three year-old. It's an eight year-old, whose understanding of the world comes almost entirely from television, and has the power to melt entire buldings.:ansgt:

:eg:I've got the understanding of a 4-year-old

I've got the piece of mind of a killer soul

I've got the rationale of a new york cop

I've got the patience of a chopping block yeah

Trip like i do :eg:

Whoever's playing that kid missed a chance to pull out one of those really cheesy code-names that we come up with and then reconsider as too silly. A three/eight-year old weaned on TV could be a great justification for "Captain Cosmic Man" (or whatever) to be used with a straight face. At least on the character's part...

Sounds like a fun (N?)PC though. :cool: Depending on what comic-age the game is, I could totally see NASA, or someone at NASA, trying to take on an in loco parentis type role, legally or de facto, and trying to raise/train/indoctrinate the kid.

Whoever's playing that kid missed a chance to pull out one of those really cheesy code-names that we come up with and then reconsider as too silly. A three/eight-year old weaned on TV could be a great justification for "Captain Cosmic Man" (or whatever) to be used with a straight face. At least on the character's part...

Sounds like a fun (N?)PC though. :cool: Depending on what comic-age the game is, I could totally see NASA, or someone at NASA, trying to take on an in loco parentis type role, legally or de facto, and trying to raise/train/indoctrinate the kid.

PC. Iron age. And Avatar's player can blame Drhoz for what's going to happen next.:eg:

• 1 year later...