Tiffany Twisted

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

20 INT 10 13- PER Roll 13-

21 EGO 22 13- ECV: 7

4 SPD 16 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

SNIP

200+ Disadvantages

20 Psychological Limitation: Her mind is tiffany-twisted - No longer remembers what she - or he, or it - is, who built the hotel and left her in charge, or what her purpose is (Common, Total)

25 Psychological Limitation: Relax, said the night man, We are programmed to receive. - Compelled to lure travellers in and trap them (Very Common, Total)

SNIP

Lucius Alexander

The song "Hotel California" is by The Eagles. Character sheet copyright Palindromedary Enterprises.

I thought it was "her mind is definately twisted..."

and "we are gathered to receive"

I haven't listened closely for a long time though...

your version sounds like it should be somewhere on the Nightside...

If it was "her name is tiffany twisted...

ODD THOUGHT.

this has been going on long enough, I have forgotten.

Have we discussed the song "Why Me?"

Re: Susano's Song-Based DC NPCs

That's in TUM.

No, really, he is.

Cool, I'll have to check that out.

I had a NPC/Part time GMPC show up late in my Star Hero campaign code named "Fenris" who was directly based on the song as well. He served as sort of mentor role/infodump to the main PC psi character. I wish I still had the write up to compare the two.

I do recall that if he was juiced to eyeballs with enhancement drugs (that would wreak havoc on his already frail CNS) and suited up into a CE-equipped battlesuit (Cerebral Enhancement) he could kick epic amounts of hindquarters

Re: Lucius Alexander's Song Based Base

I thought it was "her mind is definately twisted..."

and "we are gathered to receive"

I haven't listened closely for a long time though...

your version sounds like it should be somewhere on the Nightside...

If it was "her name is tiffany twisted...

ODD THOUGHT.

this has been going on long enough, I have forgotten.

Have we discussed the song "Why Me?"

"Tiffany twisted" didn't make any sense to me either, but that's the line - "Her mind is Tiffany twisted."

From that I took the name, Tiffany Twisted.

I understand that the idea is supposed to be that her mind is all twisted around with symbols of status, wealth, and luxury, like her Mercedes Benz and the pink champagne on ice.

And the Night Man is definitely saying "we are programmed to receive."

Lucius Alexander

You can check out a palindromedary any time you like, but you can never leave with it.

You mean the Psi Soldier on page 239?

Lucius Alexander

Veteran of the Palindromedary Wars

Yup. Steve's taken it out in this version, but in the 4th Edition of UMA he introduced the character with a little color text, including the line "veteran of a thousand psychic wars."

If we're going into the catalog of filk' date=' anyone have a writeup for the heroine of "The Horsetamer's Daughter"?[/quote']

Got the lyrics?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary hangs a shingle: "Hero Designer for Hire"

Got the lyrics?

Right Here. (Note: the song is legendary for its sheer length and thus performed cautiously at best. Though it's not so bad as "Matty Groves", a song summarized by Frank Hayes in "Lamb to the Slaughter" that may or may not actually exist otherwise and is reputed to be 470 verses long.)

"Tiffany twisted" didn't make any sense to me either, but that's the line - "Her mind is Tiffany twisted."

From that I took the name, Tiffany Twisted.

I understand that the idea is supposed to be that her mind is all twisted around with symbols of status, wealth, and luxury, like her Mercedes Benz and the pink champagne on ice.

Yeah, that is basically it. Tiffany from Tiffany and Co, a symbol or shorthand of saying a person obsessed with "status, wealth, and luxury".

From Songfacts:

The lyrics for the song came with the album. Some people thought the line "She's got the Mercedes Bends" was a misspelling of "Mercedes Benz," and wrote Henley to complain. The line was a play on words.

Right Here. (Note: the song is legendary for its sheer length and thus performed cautiously at best. Though it's not so bad as "Matty Groves"' date=' a song summarized by Frank Hayes in "Lamb to the Slaughter" that may or may not actually exist otherwise and is reputed to be 470 verses long.)[/quote']

Matty Groves performed by Fairport Convention is a great rendition of the song. :thumbup:

The lyrics for the song came with the album. Some people thought the line "She's got the Mercedes Bends" was a misspelling of "Mercedes Benz," and wrote Henley to complain. The line was a play on words.

I should have got that!

Of course, matching "twisted" and "bends" in a kind of conceptual rhyme.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to do a pair now - Tiffany Twisted and Mercedes Bends

I should have got that!

Of course, matching "twisted" and "bends" in a kind of conceptual rhyme.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to do a pair now - Tiffany Twisted and Mercedes Bends

Tiffany Twisted and Mercedes Bends living it up at the Hotel California. (links are just suggestions)

Mercedes Bends/Benz reminds me of the Janis Joplin song Mercedes Benz. As a coincidence, the song is about:

from Songfacts: Joplin wrote this with a poet named Michael McClure. It is a social commentary on how many people relate happiness and self-worth with money and material possessions.
In other words perfect material for Mercedes Bends.

Though I'm not sure how useful the lyrics would be.

Bazza Clarke

Bazza asks the palindromedary if Tiffany Twisted and Mercedes Bends were at Hotel California why would you want to leave? And can join them both in the sauna?

Veteran of the Psychic Wars?

Veteran of the psychic wars

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

8 STR -2 11- Lift 75.8kg; 1 1/2d6 [1]

13 CON 6 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

8 PRE -2 11- PRE Attack: 1 1/2d6

10 COM 0 11-

3 PD 1 Total: 3 PD (0 rPD)

3 ED 0 Total: 3 ED (0 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

5/8 REC 0

30 END 2

21 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 32

Movement:

Running: 5"/10"

Leaping: 1"/2"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

15 You see me now a veteran of a thousand psychic wars : Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots Activation Roll 14- (We've been eating up our brains ; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; You ask me why I'm weary, ; -1/2)

3m 1) You see me now a veteran of a thousand psychic wars : Telepathy 6d6 (30 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (We've been eating up our brains ; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; You ask me why I'm weary, ; -1/2) 6

1u 2) We've been living in the flames: Ego Attack 3d6 (30 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (We've been eating up our brains ; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; You ask me why I'm weary, ; -1/2) 6

2m 3) I've been living on the edge so long, where the winds of limbo roar : Mental Illusions 6d6 (30 Active Points); Side Effects (Mental Illusions; -1/2), Activation Roll 14- (We've been eating up our brains ; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; You ask me why I'm weary, ; -1/2) 6

2m 4) veteran of a thousand psychic wars : +3 Overall (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (We've been eating up our brains ; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; You ask me why I'm weary, ; -1/2) 6

7 it's time we had a break from it, It's time we had some leave : Simulate Death (+4 to roll, 16-)

1 it's time we had a break from it, It's time we had some leave : Rapid Healing (5 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), Linked (it's time we had a break from it, It's time we had some leave ; -1/2), Activation Roll 13-, Burnout (-1/2)

2 it's time we had a break from it, It's time we had some leave : +3 REC (6 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (We've been eating up our brains ; -1), Linked (it's time we had a break from it, It's time we had some leave ; -1/2)

49 Where the tides of madness swell And men sliding into hell : Extra-Dimensional Movement (Mind Zone), Beta Level (SPD 4), Position Shift, Up to 1 Turn - I can't stand forever, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (61 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (We've been eating up our brains ; -1/4) 2

16 Where the tides of madness swell And men sliding into hell : Mental Illusions 5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1 1/4) (69 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Mental Illusions; -1), Linked (Where the tides of madness swell And men sliding into hell ; -1/4)

13 Did I hear you say that this is victory? : Usable As Attack (+1) for up to 61 Active Points of Mind Zone (61 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Skin Contact Required (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2) 6

11 Did I hear you say that this is victory? : Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), Does BODY (+1), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (67 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Takes Same Damage; -2), Skin Contact Required (-1), -2 Decreased STUN Multiplier (-1/2), 2 clips of 5 Charges (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Limited Power Only in the Mind Zone (-1/2) 7

Skills

3 You blame me for my silence: Stealth 12-

3 You blame me for my silence: Shadowing 12-

1 Veteran of the psychic wars WF: Psionic Weapons

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 129

Total Cost: 161

75+ Disadvantages

Wounds are all I'm made of

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

5 Age: And I'm young enough to look at, and far too old to see

5 Distinctive Features: All the scars are on the inside (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Psychic Senses)

15 Physical Limitation: I'm not sure that there's anything left of me - Amnesiac: Most of his memory is missing or confused. (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

10 Distinctive Features: Oh please, don't let these shakes go on. (Concealable (With effort), Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

15 Social Limitation: I can't say if we're ever gonna be free - subject to orders (Frequently, Major)

10 Vulnerability: Mental Attacks - My energy is spent at last, and my armor is destroyed (Common)

15 Psychological Limitation: I have used up all my weapons, and I'm helpless and bereaved - Passive, feels helpless (Common, Strong)

11 say it's time I changed and grew - Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 75

Background/History: Eric Buck is a broken shell of the psychic warrior he was a year ago. Because he has spent so much of that time fighting in the Mind Zone, and because of the traumatic nature of the psychic wounds inflicted in those innumerable battles, he no longer even remembers a life before. He can no longer enter the Mind Zone as deeply nor for as long at a time, but subjectively he has spent an entire lifetime at war.

Personality/Motivation: Eric Buck still obeys superior officers out of habit but it is becoming evident even to the mind-blind that his days as an effective combatant are nearly over, if not already ended.

Quote: You ask me why I'm weary, why I can't speak to you

You blame me for my silence, say it's time I changed and grew

But the war's still going on

Powers/Tactics: Besides going mind to mind with other psionic soldiers, he was often used as an assassin due to his ability to force even non-mentalists onto the mental plane and there shred them literally to death with a lethal attack that would also leave him dangerously depleted. The ability to enter a healing trance after such an attack made it a viable tactic, but his ability to recover in trance is no longer as powerful either. He can probably manage it one more time....

Appearance: More than any other physical trait, what is noticed and remembered about this veteran of the psychic wars is the palsy. His experiences have left him not only shaken, but shaking.

To those who see with a third eye, his appearance is ghastly. While still alive, his aura is the bleached out blue of an old corpse that has lost all trace of the former personality that animated it, with only a hint of opalescence, like a seashell, betraying his psychic potential.

[ATTACH]31721[/ATTACH]

Veteran of the Psychic Wars song by Blue Oyster Cult, lyrics by Eric Bloom and Michael Moorcock. Character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

Whoa.

Hey, if you want less depressing characters, find me some less depressing lyrics...

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary remarks that that veteran looks like he's on his last mission...

Right Here. (Note: the song is legendary for its sheer length and thus performed cautiously at best. )

I think I have it memorized. But I'm still working on the character.

Is it based on a specific story set in Darkover? or just inspired by Darkover?

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

Horse Tamer's Daughter

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

8 STR -2 11- Lift 75.8kg; 1 1/2d6 [1]

13 CON 6 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

23 EGO 26 14- ECV: 8

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

10 COM 0 11-

3 PD 1 Total: 3 PD (0 rPD)

3 ED 0 Total: 3 ED (0 rED)

4 SPD 16 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

5 REC 0

26 END 0

21 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 69

Movement:

Running: 5"/10"

Leaping: 1"/2"

Swimming: 1"/2"

Cost Powers END

3 My father was a horse-tamer : Riding 12-

2 on the edge of Hali Plain.: AK: Hali Plain. 11-

2 His work was good and his horses fine, but he got little gain,: Animal Handler (Equines) 13-

2 For few come now into Hali Town, the trade has gone away: KS: Current events/ recent history 11-

2 When the wizards ruled and the land was taxed and the lords would come and go.: KS: History 11-

3 We helped him ride the Wild Ones down, to catch and tame and train: Teamwork 12-

2 And we lived thus free and merrily on the edge of Hali Plain. So well I loved the whispering grass and the children of the land,: Survival (Temperate/Subtropical Plains) 12-

5 That in time I learned, as the seasons turned, to call them into my hand.: Beast Speech (15 Active Points); Limited Power Equines only (-2)

29 When I rode out on Hali Plain, I would set my mind to fly 'Til I felt the grass below my feet and the birds high in the sky.: Spatial Awareness (Mental Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Telescopic: +3

1 I'd feel the Wild Ones running, and I'd bid them turn again. A few I'd see would come to me: about one in every ten.: Persuasion 13- (3 Active Points); Limited Power Equines only (-1)

7 But willing and free they'd carry me on the Plain to run and play. : Animal Friendship (20 Active Points); Limited Power Equines only (-2)

2 There is a lake beyond the town. The Tower is on its shore.: AK: Hali Lake 11-

2 But I always chose that ruined Tower for my favorite place to play: AK: That ruined Tower 11-

3 The stones breathed wondrous tales to me of the powers within the ground,: Power 14-

133 'Til amid the stones of the Tower's bones a Magic Mirror I found. : Multipower, 200-point reserve, (200 Active Points); all slots Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Never a sight it showed to me, 'til I set my mind to fly.; -1/4), IIF (I wore it tied about my neck to keep it always near; -1/4)

2u 1) The Mirror in its iron frame was dark as a winter sky.: Invisibility to Mental Group , No Fringe, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (50 Active Points); Lockout (Only functions when no other slot is on; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Never a sight it showed to me, 'til I set my mind to fly.; -1/4), IIF (I wore it tied about my neck to keep it always near; -1/4)

10m 2) Aye, then it showed me marvelous things, a window on the world:: Clairsentience (Mental Group), x16 Range (5,200"), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 48" per Phase), Targeting, Transmit, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (90 Active Points); Visible (Then one of them raised up his eyes, and said: "Who can this be?" He turned his head, with its hair so red, and looked straightaway at me; -1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Never a sight it showed to me, 'til I set my mind to fly.; -1/4), IIF (I wore it tied about my neck to keep it always near; -1/4) 3

5u 3) The Plain, the town, all the lands around, as far as the ocean curled.: Clairsentience (Mental Group), x2 Range (840"), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 24" per Phase) (non-Mega), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 6" per Phase), Transmit, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; Movement; +1/4), MegaScale (1" = 10 km; Range; +1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (94 Active Points); Visible (Then one of them raised up his eyes, and said: "Who can this be?" He turned his head, with its hair so red, and looked straightaway at me; -1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Never a sight it showed to me, 'til I set my mind to fly.; -1/4), IIF (I wore it tied about my neck to keep it always near; -1/4) 9

2u 4) As soon as I thus heard their plan, I turned my mind away And set it flying over the plain. To the Wild Ones I did say: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds (One wild horse in ten), Any distance, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x8) (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Never a sight it showed to me, 'til I set my mind to fly.; -1/4), IIF (I wore it tied about my neck to keep it always near; -1/4) 4

2u 5) I bound my mind to the Wild Ones' minds, and I called as I never did call, 'Til seven mares and a stallion bold came into the ancient hall.: Summon 8 130-point creatures, Friendly (+1/4) (51 Active Points); Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Never a sight it showed to me, 'til I set my mind to fly.; -1/4), IIF (I wore it tied about my neck to keep it always near; -1/4) 5

6u 6) With hooves of light, through the Mirror's sight, we battered and thrust and fought.: Ego Attack 7d6, Does Knockback (The Wizards flinched, the Wizards fell; +1/4) (87 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Never a sight it showed to me, 'til I set my mind to fly.; -1/4), IIF (I wore it tied about my neck to keep it always near; -1/4) 9

3 As we rode down to Hali Town one summer market day: Trading 13-

8 Back I rode to Hali Plain, as fast as a horse could run.: (Total: 17 Active Cost, 8 Real Cost) Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) for up to 36 Active Points of Running, Usable By Other (+1/4) (11 Active Points); Requires A Riding Skill Roll (-1/2), Limited Power Equines only (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus Running 0", x4 Noncombat, Usable By Other (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Linked (Naked Modifier; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4), Requires A Riding Skill Roll (-1/2), Limited Power Equines only (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) 1

3 I hid myself in the ruined Tower, away from wind and sun.: Concealment 12-

1 'Twas an ill-trained Keeper's mind I met: PS: Tower Keeper 8-

10 but I've seldom felt such power.: +5 with Power Skill

1 Oh, come to me, my free friends all! Oh, come to my right hand!: Oratory 13- (3 Active Points); Limited Power Equines only (-1)

3 To bind our might in a ring of light, and fight in a Wizards' war: Tactics 12-

27 We built a wall about the Tower, only of wind and thought.: Force Wall (10 PD/10 ED/10 Mental Defense), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (94 Active Points); OIF Immobile (The Tower; -1 1/2), Crew-Served (4 horses; -1/2), No Range (-1/2) 9

20 So I bound my soul to the Wild Ones' souls as I'd never done before: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds - Just seven mares and a stallion bold, Psychic Bond X 8 (50 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Always On (-1/2)

5 You are the living matrix then; that''s all that you can be: Endurance Reserve (50 END, 0 REC) Reserve: , 16 clips of 16 Recoverable Charges (+0) [16 rc]

7 You are the living matrix then; that''s all that you can be: Fast Draw 14-

10 Up then spoke the Wizard-lord: "It shall be as you have said. Better to name an Eighth Domain than duel 'til all are dead.": Fringe Benefit: Head of State

15 So Hali Tower is tenanted now.: Base

2 The Hali-folk bring corn and cloth and wood for the winter's chill.: Money: Well Off

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 340

Total Cost: 409

200+ Disadvantages

5 Distinctive Features: And I was a child as free and wild as the wind in my tangled mane. (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Dependent NPC: My grand-dam 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills - told me cradle-tales of the great days long ago)

10 Dependent NPC: My father had no sons at all, nor could he pay the fee Of hireling men to help his work, so he turned to Mother and me. 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

10 Psychological Limitation: Will not betray trust. I never called them to the rope, for their trust I'd not betray. (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Priorities: The Land, The Horses, The Mirror. Beside the land and my wild-horse band the treasure I held most dear (Common, Strong)

5 Hunted: Go back, go back, you Horse-tamer! The Wizards come again! They come, I fear, for the children here. They are taking one in ten. 8- (As Pow, Limited Geographical Area. So the lords appear no longer here to rule over Hali Town., Capture)

5 Distinctive Features: "What is this power I feel," said he, "so clear and raw and strong? (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

15 Reputation: 'Tis plain your breed is of Hastur-seed. Oh Child, keep away from me!, 14- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

10 Reputation: The tales they tell are spreading well, and I fear they always will., 11-

5 Social Limitation: I'll never wear red robes. I'll never wear a blue stone. (Occasionally, Minor)

125 Keeper Bonus - They've made of me what I feared to be: the Keeper of Hali Tower!

Total Disadvantage Points: 210

Background/History: My father was a horse-tamer on the edge of Hali Plain.

His work was good and his horses fine, but he got little gain,

For few come now into Hali Town; the trade has gone away,

And the distant glower of the ruined Tower makes few folk care to stay.

So poor we were, but free we were as the wild herds on the Plain-

And I was a child as free and wild as the wind in my tangled mane.

Personality/Motivation: I am the Horse-tamer's daughter, the defender of the land

Quote: I'll never wear red robes. I'll never wear a blue stone.

The ruined Tower stands abandoned and alone.

But when the moons are high and the wind is roaring free,

When I send my silent call...wild horses come to me!

"I have no Stone at all," I said, "but a Mirror like the sea.

It was never a man ye fought this day, but eight wild horses and me.

I am the Horse-tamer's daughter, the defender of the land-

And I know my kind were never inclined to live at a lord's command.

So it is my wish ye go away, and leave us as we've been.

Leave us free as we choose to be; we would never be ruled again."

Powers/Tactics: With a Circle made of wild beasts and a plain first-level screen, You've all the power of any good Tower-and more than many I've seen.

Campaign Use: I'm just the Horse-tamer's daughter, but they love me for my power. They've made of me what I feared to be: the Keeper of Hali Tower!

[ATTACH]31728[/ATTACH]

(I don't get all this to-do about it being such a long song. But then again, I memorized Edna St. Vincent Millay's "Renascence" over twenty years ago.)

The song "Horse Tamer's Daughter" by Leslie Fish, inspired by the Darkover novels of Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

(What do you all think of the presentation? Should I maybe italicize all the lyrics? Use spacing to break it up some?)

Hey, if you want less depressing characters, find me some less depressing lyrics...

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary remarks that that veteran looks like he's on his last mission...

Pinball Wizard.

Remember, he's blind and deaf. Smell bought as Targeting, I suppose.

Pinball Wizard.

Remember, he's blind and deaf. Smell bought as Targeting, I suppose.

Okay, you're actually going to see me turn one down.

I could go one of three ways with this.

1. Actually write up Tommy, the hero of the rock opera that that is part of. I don't feel adequate to that, although I'd love to see Susano do it. edit : I shouldn't be surprised to see that, in fact, he's already got it.

2. Ignore the operatic context and try to make a character based on the lyrics alone. At which point, once I've written "Smell, Targetting" and the Disads "Deaf, Dumb, and Blind" and PS: Play Pinball at some ridiculous level, what else is there?

3. Just take off in a completely different direction - say by making a fantasy hero or comic book wizard with spells that have names and special effects based on pinball machines and other old fashioned amusement hall games. Which might be interesting but I think kind of goes beyond the scope of this thread.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary promises to give it some thought but can't say that Lucius will come around.

Okay, you're actually going to see me turn one down.

I could go one of three ways with this.

1. Actually write up Tommy, the hero of the rock opera that that is part of. I don't feel adequate to that, although I'd love to see Susano do it. edit : I shouldn't be surprised to see that, in fact, he's already got it.

Ayup.

I've always thought that Tommy Walker was insane -- that once he was "cured" of his self-imposed isolation he mistook his "musical dreams" for divine revelation and ended up leading himself and a lot of other people astray because of it. And that after his followers woke up to the fact that they were being misled, that Tommy retreated back into his shell, never again to emerge.

But then there are many ways to interpret Tommy -- that was Pete Townshend's genius. I was always blown away by the audacity of such things as creating a scene where Roger Daltrey plays three different roles (the doctor, the mother and Tommy himself) and it works brilliantly.