Susano's Song-Based DC NPCs

Susano

Re: Susano's Song-Based DC NPCs

Rock opera (I know the term, not that the song was connected to one)? Tommy Walker?

I recognize the name Pete Townshend... vaguely..

Edit: reading Susano's build explained things nicely, more or less.

Uhmm... Tommy, by The Who?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The who?

Yes.

Yes?

No, The Who.

Who?

The band.

The Band?

No, The Who.

I don't give a darn!

Oh, they're the opening act!

Lucius Alexander

Abbot and Costello and a palindromedary go to a concert

The who?

Yes.

Yes?

No, The Who.

Who?

The band.

The Band?

No, The Who.

I don't give a darn!

Oh, they're the opening act!

Lucius Alexander

Abbot and Costello and a palindromedary go to a concert

*chuckle*

*Bazza wonders if the palindromedary is answering questions?*

• 3 weeks later...

Merchant of Dreams

Steven Hicks

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

8 STR -2 11- Lift 75.8kg; 1 1/2d6 [1]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

13 CON 6 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

23 EGO 26 14- ECV: 8

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

10 COM 0 11-

3/9 PD 1 Total: 3/9 PD (0/6 rPD)

3/9 ED 0 Total: 3/9 ED (0/6 rED)

4 SPD 16 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

5 REC 0

26 END 0

21 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 74

Movement:

Running: 5"/10"

Leaping: 1"/2"

Swimming: 1"/2"

Cost Powers END

Now here I go again - Dreams - Unified Power, all slots Unified Power (-1/2)

7 1) Now here you go again: Precognitive Precognitive Dreams: Clairsentience (Mental Group, Normal Sight And Normal Hearing) (50 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Asleep, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events, sound asleep; -1 1/2), Extra Time (20 Minutes to get to sleep, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Precognition Only (-1), Unified Power (-1/2) 5

27 2) But listen carefully to the sound: Telepathy 10d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (62 Active Points); Receive Only (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/2), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Knocked Out (-1/4) 2

1 3) In the stillness of remembering, what you had....and what you lost: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only to remember dreams (-1 1/2), Window Of Opportunity (After dreaming or co-dreaming; window remains open for 1 Hr; -1)

22 4) I see the crystal visions: Mind Scan 3d6+1, +6 ECV, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Cumulative (76 points; +1) (65 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Dreaming Minds (-1), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Unified Power (-1/2) 3

43 5) It's only me who wants to wrap around your dreams: Mental Illusions 10d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/2), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Knocked Out (-1/4)

27 6) Have you any dreams you'd like to sell: Mental Illusions 3d6, Uncontrolled (willing targets only) (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Cumulative (72 points; +1), Continuous (+1) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (an object that must be touched) (-1/4)

Talents

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Skills

1 Thunder only happens when it's raining: SS: Meteorology 8-

3 It's only right that you should play the way you feel it: Power: Dreaming 14-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 143

Total Cost: 217

200+ Disadvantages

5 You say you want your freedom....Dependent NPC: Rebellious Teenager 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC)

15 Well who am I to keep you down? Psychological Limitation: Wiilling to invade dreams and even manipulate them for artistic reasons, but refuses to try to establish control or domination of a person by means of dream powers (Very Common, Moderate)

5 Loneliness, like a heartbeat drives you mad Psychological Limitation: Lonely (Uncommon, Moderate)

5 Players only love you when they're playing - Hunted: Villains who want to persuade him to abuse his powers, but haven't resorted to anything really threatening - yet. 8- (As Pow, Mildly Punish)

10 Say women, they will come and they will go - Dependent NPC: Current romantic interest 8- (Normal)

15 I keep my visions to myself - Psychological Limitation: Doesn't pass on dreams that can identify an individual or subject them to embarrassment. (Very Common, Moderate)

5 It's only me - Reputation: Sells dreams for profit., 8-

Total Disadvantage Points: 60

Quote: When the rain washes you clean you'll know

You can thank Ragdoll for inspiring this one.

The concept is pretty simple, but I'm having a little trouble coming up with something that works. I'm thinking of transform of some sort. Here's the concept:

A mutant able to scan the dreams of sleeping people, and change or manipulate them in any way they see fit. They can experience the person's dreams as well.

Once the dream has ended, they can continue to watch the person's dreams/manipulate them, or pull back from them into the real world again. Once they are out of the person's dreams they can imprint the person's dreams (one or all of them that were viewed) into an object. This must take place no later then one hour after the person pulls away from the person's dream scape. The dream imprinted objects can then be experienced by anyone that touches the imprinted object. The process is voluntary and cannot be forced.

The mutant basically sells dreams to people. Custom made ones or ones gathered 'free range' as she likes to call them from people's minds as they sleep.

Any idea on how to build such a power?

I would have to say that what I have here is not quite yet a complete character. For a real viable Champions mentalist you'd need to "beef it up" partly because it's only 217 pts now. For a heroic level character, or a "mere" dream merchant not intended to ever have to hold his own in a superheroic arena, a Limitation of "only to read dreams" and "only to influence dreams" can be put on the Telepathy and Mental Illusions powers, and even at a standard heroic level he can take another 15 points of Disadvantages.

The song “Dreams” by Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac.

Character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

My notes on Red Right Hand thus far if it helps:

Distinctive Features: red right hand

He's a ghost, He's a god, He's a man, He's a guru: high PRE (20ish, maybe 30ish?)

Stacks of green paper in his red right hand: Money: Filthy Rich

They're whispering his name through this disappearing land: Reputation: a miracle worker who can help you with any problem you might have

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan: Psychological Limitation: Manipulative, ruthlessly uses people to further his ends (Common, Strong)

General Description: No one knows where this stranger came from, only that he came to town during a time of great strife and misery. On the surface, he appears to be a savior, a guru, and benefactor who's been helping the downtrodden residents with their financal and emotional troubles; but there is another side to him, something sinister in his motives that nobody's caught onto yet and it may be too late before someone realizes he's something more dangerous than appearances suggest. Plus, he's never really explained just where all that money he's handing out comes from...

• 2 weeks later...

I hereby request

and his mid-eighties probable Progenitor,

(Awesome, it embeds automatically.)

Another might be

but half of you would write up the cheezy version from Superman III or whatever, the rest would recognize the intent of the linked song and write up a certain Fox Cartoon character...

I'd write up some but my HERO workload is all about my Star Hero campaign right now.

Molecule Man (and Bernie the Hand)

Bernie set chase without much of a trace

Bernie, at least, has Shadowing and Stealth

his getaway car was inconspicuous

Vehicle, bought with stealth or skill levels to stealth, disguise, anonymity

Molecule Man and Bernie the Hand

Follower? DNPC? Or just another guy?

blackmarket thugs with flesh jewels to sell

beautiful girls in their underwear

minds are all gone to serve customers well

labotomized by this duo of sin

their greedy gothic minds gone delirious

Money as a perk. Likely one of them (Bernie) has Mind Control powers, whether via surgery or an actual superpower.

hard to fight what's inhuman and insane

they have powers to which we are oblivious.

I'm thinking this would be Invisible Power Effects on the Mind Control powers.

Left at the bar was a tingling debris

of static electricity

Molecule Man has electrical attacks, likely with the sticky or continuous modifiers on one or more.

anonymous people shared anonymous drinks

and told their stories with suspicious winks

some were there to buy, Bernie's there to deal

his was the guise we were there to dispell

the record in the back, it slipped on its track

a shadow lunged for cover, we were on its trail.

Nightlights shine over feet in the street

that scurry 'round to indigenous beats

rain falling down from the heavens above

hell in the sewers sends it back up in fog

black coats sway like capes in the wind

hurrying through the alleys, through the opium dens

the havocing dreams of a city's lost souls

all empowered by the evil they hold.

Beautiful girls, price tags hanging in their curls

living but motionless.

Bernie led us here, we've been searching for it four years

and I feel we've been baited.

Doesn't help us build the character much, but is just the most awesome part of the song, so I left it quoted.

Molecule Man, with supernatural pizzazz

deconstructed his arm into tiny balls of light

thrust it into my partner's gut

and blew him out from the inside>

Sounds like Molecule Man also has desolidification, and a Conical Explosion HTH Killing Attack?

From my belt the secret weapon withdrew

and slapped around his wrist before his power renewed

tried to escape into molecules

alternating current in the cuffs kept his synapses glued.

Further evidence of the desolidification, and that he is vulnerable to entangles that conduct electricity?

Batted his skull with a billy club

he tumbled down into a puddle of blood

sulking in the corner, not far from the fight

Bernie knew I'd gotten him this time.

Molecule Man might want to spend some points on raising his PD ;)

And it would appear Bernie isn't much for physical confrontation.

• 3 weeks later...

The Boxer

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

13 CON 6 12-

9 BODY -2 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6

10 COM 0 11-

7 PD 1 Total: 7 PD (3 rPD)

7 ED 1 Total: 7 ED (3 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

6 REC 0

24 END -1

25 STUN 1

Total Characteristic Cost: 34

Movement: Running: 5"/10" Leaping: 2"/4" Swimming: 2"/4"

In the clearing stands a boxer

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 Jab +1 +3 3d6 Strike

3 Clinch -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR for holding on

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Bob and Weave -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

Perks

9 I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome I took some comfort there: Contact: The whores on Seventh Avenue (They respect him because he respects them) (Contact has significant Contacts of their own), Organization Contact (x3) (9 Active Points) 11-

Talents

6 A figher by his trade: Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Skills

3 Asking only workman's wages I come looking for a job. Jack of All Trades

2 1) A boxer and a fighter by his trade: PS: Boxing 12-

1 2) In the company of strangers : PS: Hobo 11-

2 3) When I left my home and my family I was no more than a boy : PS: Storyteller 12-

3 When I left my home and my family I was no more than a boy: Oratory 12-

3 In the quiet of the railway station. Traveler

1 1) In the quiet of the railway station: AK: Railways of the Eastern Seaboard 11-

1 2) Well I'm laying out my winter clothes and wishing I was gone, going home: AK: Home County ( a bit outdated...hasn't been back for years) 11-

1 3) Where the New York City winters aren't bleeding me: CK: New York (Everyman (he's been in New York long enough it counts as "home area" )) 13-

3 Laying low: Stealth 12-

3 Seeking out: Concealment 12-

2 The poorer quarters, where the ragged people go: Survival (Urban) 12-

3 Looking for the places only they would know: Streetwise 12-

3 Or cut him 'til he cried out in his anger and his shame: Paramedics 12-

2 A boxer and a fighter by his trade: KS: Boxing 11-

2 Or cut him 'til he cries out in his anger and his shame: +1 with Haymaker

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 66 Total Cost: 100

50+ Disadvantages

5 I am just a poor boy, though my story's seldom told : Poor

15 A pocket full of mumbles, such are promises All lies and jests. Psychological Limitation: I have squandered my resistance. Gullible. (Very Common, Moderate)

10 He hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest. Reputation: , 8- (Extreme)

5 Running Scared. Social Limitation: Dark Secret (Occasionally, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

5 I come looking for a job, but I get no offers. Social Limitation: High School dropout (Occasionally, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

10 And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down. Distinctive Features: (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Total Disadvantage Points: 100

Background/History: Designer's Note: While a more straightforward interpretation of the lyrics of "The Boxer" suggest that the first person narrator and the boxer are not the same person, I think Paul Simon intended a certain ambiguity of identity. In any case, combining them makes for a more complete and interesting character, in my opinion.

Personality/Motivation: The Boxer's most notable trait is gullibility. Despite having spent a few years learning about the seamier side of life, he still tends to trust that other people's intentions are good and honorable, and is often inclined to believe what he's told. He's trying to learn to "not be such a sap!" and sometimes life seems intent on beating it out of him, but he still has to make an EGO roll (adjusted by circumstances, and possibly with Streetwise or a similar skill as complementary) to mistrust or disbelieve someone. On the other hand, his undimmed enthusiasm and unstoppable faith make him a compelling, and surprisingly poetic, speaker sometimes. He has some kind of harmful secret in his past - or thinks he does, as certainly no one is ever known to have come after him, but something made him run away from home as a teenager, hitchhiking or riding the rails until he landed in New York. A chance encounter got him into the "fight game" when he impressed a gym owner with the way he disposed of a couple of muggers. He took way too many shots to the face before learning to duck or block.

Quote: Now the years are rolling by me They are rocking evenly And I am older than I once was And younger than I'll be, but that's not unusual. No, it isn't strange After changes upon changes We are more or less the same After changes we are more or less the same

I am leaving, I am leaving (but the fighter still remains, still the same)

Powers/Tactics: Although his build puts him usually in the bantamweight or featherweight category, the boxer is definitely competent at his trade. If he learns a couple more aggressive damaging punches, he could be a contender. If his 3d6 jabs aren't getting the job done, he'll go to blocking and dodging, waiting for an opening or trying to wear out his opponent, or go for a clinch and then follow up with a haymaker. He doesn't follow boxing rules in a brawl, and will grab and throw, haymaker from behind with a club, or do anything else he feels the situation warrants. He's gullible (and people who know this can use it to distract him in a fight - "Look, it's the cops !") but not dumb, nor is he a musclebound hulk incapable of subtlety - he has Stealth and Concealment. Nor is he a berserker - if there is nothing to gain in a fight (he's not protecting someone for example) he's perfectly willing to cut and run, even if - perhaps especially if - he's winning.

Campaign Use: With a fighting weight of 50 pts plus 50 Disadvantage pts, The Boxer is suitable as a player character in some low-powered games using Dark Champions or Pulp Hero, or as a sidekick to a standard powered character - he'd probably be very loyal if he found someone who proved over time that they will NEVER take advantage of him. He fits easily anytime in the 20th century and into the late 19th and early 21st, and with a few changes could be dropped in any major city in the world. With a few tweaks, he could appear in any historical, fantastic, or futuristic setting where boxing or a similar martial art is practiced professionally. As a contact or encounter for the players, remember - He's a boxer, he's gullible, he has contacts on the street - there's no limit to the ways The Boxer can get into trouble, and no reason he wouldn't ask the player characters for help if he needs it. He's also perfectly ready to help if asked, and can be readily added to a party that may need one more good hand to hand combatant, or be a source of information if none of the characters have local knowledge or the Streetwise skill. Or even if they do and their own contacts just aren't connected right now.

Appearance: Prize fighter's face - he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down or cut him til he cried out in his anger and his shame. He's also absolutely bristling with plot hooks, but that should probably be left off the visual description.

[ATTACH]32032[/ATTACH]

"The Boxer" lyrics by Paul Simon of Simon and Garfunkel. Character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

You, sir, are a genius. :thumbup:

Just a couple of minor notes:

2 The poorer quarters, where the ragged people go: Survival (Urban) 12-

Perhaps some contacts "on the street"?

15 A pocket full of mumbles, such are promises All lies and jests. Psychological Limitation: I have squandered my resistance. Gullible. (Very Common, Moderate)

I find this a little confusing; with the two quotes arranged like this it almost looks like a Disad. got dropped. That, or "I have..." got displaced.

Also, "I have squandered my resistance" sounds more like bad health (lowered CON), or he's punch-drunk or has a glass jaw (Phys. Lims.)

10 He hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest. Reputation: , 8- (Extreme)

What Reputation? Anyway, this sounds like gullible &/or pig-headed.

Oh, and it's "A man hears..." ;)

Background/History: Designer's Note:

While a more straightforward interpretation of the lyrics of "The Boxer" suggest that the first person narrator and the boxer are not the same person, I think Paul Simon intended a certain ambiguity of identity. In any case, combining them makes for a more complete and interesting character, in my opinion.

::blinkblinkblink::

Wow, I can't see how one could say the first-person stuff is from someone other than the boxer. Seriously, I just now had to listen to it twice to realize the first-person narrator never said what he does for a living.

Well, well. Ya live an' learn.

Anyway, a superlative work. :hail:

The Bacandforthtrian would bow, too, but he can't agree with himself on which end does what.

Nola

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

8 STR -2 11- Lift 75.8kg; 1 1/2d6 [2]

10 CON 0 11-

8 BODY -4 11-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-

8 EGO -4 11- ECV: 3

14 PRE 4 12- PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6

16 COM 3 12-

2 PD 0 Total: 2 PD (0 rPD)

2 ED 0 Total: 2 ED (0 rED)

2 SPD 0 Phases: 6, 12

4 REC 0

20 END 0

17 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 9

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 1"/2"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Perks

4 She's the girl all the bad boys want: Contact: Current "bad boy" relationship (Good relationship with Contact) 12-

1 "She says she'd like to score some reefer and a forty": Contact: local drug dealer 8-

1 "She's the girl all the bad boys want": Reputation: Really hot babe (Local "bad boys") 11-, +1/+1d6

Skills

3 "When she walks, all the wind blows and the angels sing": Acrobatics 12-

3 "Race track season pass": Combat Driving 12-

2 "She wears a two-way": KS: "Alternative" fashion 11-

2 "Race track season pass": KS: Auto racing 11-

2 "listening to rap metal": KS: Current music trends 11-

2 "Turntables in her eyes": KS: Local deejays 11-

2 "She's watching wrestling": KS: Professional Wrestling 11-

2 "Listening to rap metal": KS: Rap metal music 11-

4 "When she walks all the wind blows and the angels sing": PS: Dancer 13-

2 "She's a rocker": PS: Rock musician 11-

3 "When she walks all the wind blows and the angels sing": Seduction 12-

3 She says she'd like to score some reefer and a forty: Streetwise 12-

2 "Race track season pass": TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 38

Total Cost: 47

25+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: "When she walksall the wind blows and the angels sing"--Unusually attractive movement (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Hunted: "I'm waiting to finally talk to a girl that's a little cooler than me"--pathetic would-be boyfriends 11- (As Pow, Watching)

15 Psychological Limitation: "Creaming over tough guys"--Prefers "bad boys", tends to ignore "nice guys" (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: "She says she'd like to score some reefer and a forty"--Recreational drug user (Common, Moderate)

Total Disadvantage Points: 40

Background/History: Very little is revealed of Nola's background in the song, given that it's from the perspective of a would-be boyfriend. It's likely that she had a relatively comfortable upbringing.

Personality/Motivation: Nola, like many rocker girls, wants to rock out, party and date hot boys. Unfortunately, what she considers "hot" shares a lot of similarity to the stereotypical "bad boy." Muscular, angry (especially at his dad), prone to violence, into wrestling, auto racing, and rap metal. A moustache is a must, and he'd better have a Trans-Am or equally cool vehicle. Since Nola is herself pretty darn impressive (especially when she moves), she has no trouble hooking up with bad boys. However, bad boys also tend to turn out to be massive jerks, so she just as quickly breaks up with them (or vice versa), and is on the lookout again.

Meanwhile, Nola pretty much ignores the more "nice guy" types who are also attracted to her, though she's willing to make friends with them so they'll do things for her, and be there when she needs emotional support. She also doesn't have many close female friends--the ones she had tended to be "the girl my boyfriend cheated on me with", which tends to strain a relationship.

Nola does not get on well with authority figures, not least because of her recreational drug use getting her hassled by The Man.

Quote: To a "bad boy"--"Let's dance!"

To a "nice guy"--"Let's just be friends."

Powers/Tactics: Nola is a physically normal young woman who moves very well and has an interest in music. She doesn't do combat herself, that's what her tough guy boyfriends are for. If she were really pressed, Nola would probably go for a crotch shot then run away.

Campaign Use: Nola is from the song "The Girl All the Bad Boys Want" by Bowling For Soup.

Nola is most likely to be someone's DNPC. A low-level thug's girlfriend, the unattainable love object of a sweet but dorky teen hero, or even a player character's rebellious daughter. Her habit of hanging out with "bad boys" is likely to put her in danger that she needs rescuing from, not that she'll always appreciate the help.

To make Nola "more powerful", up her music-related skills a bit, and change "current boyfriend" from a contact to a follower. If you want to put her into a teen mutants campaign, perhaps a Mind Control, only vs. people attracted to women, only on a successful PS:Dancer roll.

Nola does not Hunt anyone, she prefers to cut them from her social circle instead.

Appearance: Nola is a girl in her very late teens or early twenties, who has her hair in dreadlocks. She wears a "two-way", fishnet stockings and a ring in her nose. While she can be presumed to be generally attractive, what really turns men on is the way she moves.

(Permission is granted to post this on the Susano's Stuff website, see attached HD file.)

SKJAM!

General note:

In case I'd never made it explicit, I too give Susano permission to post any of these song-based characters on Surbrook's Stuff.

In fact, off hand I can't think of any character I have posted to the Hero Boards that I wouldn't willingly see on Surbrook's Stuff.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary starts reminding me of the ones with known mistakes, obvious cheesy builds, awkward constructions....

You' date=' sir, are a genius. :thumbup:[/quote']

Thank you. So are you, you know.

I find this a little confusing; with the two quotes arranged like this it almost looks like a Disad. got dropped. That, or "I have..." got displaced.

Also, "I have squandered my resistance" sounds more like bad health (lowered CON), or he's punch-drunk or has a glass jaw (Phys. Lims.)

I didn't think of that interpretation of the phrase. In the song, it's obvious (to me) that the resistance he has squandered is his resistance to a pocket full of mumbles, such are promises.

Of course, I'm not above taking a phrase out of context to fit a skill that was not at all intended by the songwriter....

What Reputation? Anyway, this sounds like gullible &/or pig-headed.

Oh, and it's "A man hears..." ;)

That's his reputation - that he hears what he wants to hear. Yeah, maybe I could have done the Disads a little better.

::blinkblinkblink::

Wow, I can't see how one could say the first-person stuff is from someone other than the boxer. Seriously, I just now had to listen to it twice to realize the first-person narrator never said what he does for a living.

Well, well. Ya live an' learn.

Indeed you do. I think it's confusing that the song shifts from 1st to second person and back. But I actually learned something about the song while doing this character, because when I do one of these I always look up the lyrics just to make sure I have them right.

I had the lyrics word for word, all right - and I was STILL wrong. I've loved the song for 25 years and in that time I'd always interpreted the line "cut him 'til he cried out in his anger and his shame" as meaning that the boxer had yelled something inarticulate, like "arrgh!" or maybe just cried out something obscene or profane. And I took the line "I am leaving, I am leaving, but the fighter still remains" as meaning "I, the first person voice of the song, am leaving (specifically, going home, where the New York City winters aren't bleeding me) and THAT GUY, the Boxer I see standing in a clearing as I look out the window of the railway car, still remains."

But in researching this character I came across a few words Paul Simon had to say about what he had in mind, not to mention actually seeing that the lyrics are written as

...'til he cried out, in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving, I am leaving" - but the fighter still remains..

Proving that it is the fighter, the boxer, who is saying "I am leaving" and that the contrast isn't between someone who is leaving and someone who isn't but between the boxer's words and his deeds. He says "screw this, I'm fed up, I'm quitting" but he never actually stops fighting and walks away.

The "Designer's Note" thing was actually written before I'd figured out how wrong I've been for decades. I could be the only person who ever interpreted the song as being about two people. Or thought that the narrator is actually going home instead of just dreaming about it - if I were as smart as I think I am, I would have caught on that "laying out my winter clothes" implies not that he's packing for a trip to a warm climate, but that he's preparing for another New York City winter that he will endure.

Just color me dumb. :o Or at least, confused- :confused: confused for twenty five years without even knowing it....

Should I fix the Hero Design file to get rid of that note?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary bows at both ends by deftly crossing two legs behind the other two and bending both long and graceful necks.

General note:

In case I'd never made it explicit, I too give Susano permission to post any of these song-based characters on Surbrook's Stuff.

In fact, off hand I can't think of any character I have posted to the Hero Boards that I wouldn't willingly see on Surbrook's Stuff.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary starts reminding me of the ones with known mistakes, obvious cheesy builds, awkward constructions....

Well... send 'em over then.