Teleport Question

My wife's character can teleport up to x8 her mass. She asked if her character could teleport to an endangered innocent, and teleport them out of harms way, all in one phase. How would this be possible, considering teleporting to the innocent would take a half phase, then wouldn't the hero have to take a half phase to grab the innocent, then another half phase to teleport away to safety? That's 1-1/2 phases. Should I have my wife's character perform a Move-By Grab to simulate the one phase teleport rescue?

Acroyear II

Another possibility would be to put the Teleportation Power into a multipower with another Teleport of the same distance, but with no extra mass and the Usable Simultaneously (+1/2) and Ranged (+1/2) Advantages and a Limitation that the two must teleport simultaneously to the same location (-1). Or, another way to handle it would be to buy the second Teleport Usable As Attack (+1) and Linked (-1/4) to the main teleport without necessarily having to use it when the main teleport is used, with that same matching-destination Limitation.

This is assuming, of course, that you're not in the mood to fudge things with the Power Skill, Grab By, or something similar, any of which is at least as legitimate. Buying it as a separate power is only needed if she does it on a fairly regular basis.

GRAB is a maneuver designed to get a handle on a resisting person, IMO. If the innocent was not resisting, then the touch would be automatic IMG and poof.

Now, in panic situations, often the innocent will resist... like drowning victims struggle against their rescuers. So in that case, i would require a grab.

All in all though, I don't recommend making saving innocents difficult due to mechanics... its the thing supers do and they are supposed to be good at it. having some supers saving innocents while a fight's going on is a classic.

I think it would be within the rules to buy your teleport Usable Simultaneously (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1), Usable At Range (+1/2). You would have to hit the "victim" with the attack at range, then you'd specify part of the special effects as being that you appear next to them in the blink of an eye just before you both reach your final destination. Of course this would only work on a single target at a time without adding an AE of some sort. It gets pretty expensive with all those Advantages. You could probably justify a (-1/4) Limitation for having to trace your teleport path to the victim and then to the final destination since it would limit your range some.

I think that would be a "legal" way to do it. However, I agree with the majority that the GM probably ought to let the player fudge a bit here to keep with the spirit of it being a heroic action.

GRAB is a maneuver designed to get a handle on a resisting person, IMO. If the innocent was not resisting, then the touch would be automatic IMG and poof.

tesuji is totally correct here. There is no grabbing (Grab maneuver) involved. The PC in question makes a half move to teleport in to a hex right next to the innocent, then makes a half move to teleport out. As long as the inclement is willing and does not exceed the PCs mass limit. There should be no problem.

Agree. If the innocent is willing, then it should be automatic. If the innocent is unwilling (hysterical perhaps, or convinced that the hero is One of Those Evil Mutants) or for some other reason hard to touch, then Grab-By should do the trick.

I agree with the Half Teleport move +grab (automatic if the person isn't resisting) +Half Teleport move.

If you want to make it a little difficult, apply the penalty for a sweep or Rapid Fire type maneuver to it, which would be a -2 to OCV if an attack roll is required for the teleport. (the fact that the character is teleporting to one hex, then quickly teleporting to another hex is the same as a multiple attack, and may, in some instances, require two seperate attack-rolls)

That maneuver is more than reasonable, and I would never veto something like that...especialy if its used in a very heroic manner, such as saving an innocent! We, as GM's are supposed to encourage players who have their characters perform heroic maneuvers...most especially in Pulp and Superheroic genres.

I agree with the free if non-resisting, Grab By if resisting.

The GM should fudge a little fpr heroic actions involving the saving of innocents IMO.

On a side note, when trying to plumb the depths of the Protects Carried adder for FF with Steve a while back, he eventually indicated that a 'carried' item or person is assumed to not be resisting where as a 'grabbed' item or person is assumed to be resisting. The implication was that to pick up non-resisting things/people you dont actually have to grab them.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3294

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3298

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3311