What does "Overall" not cover?

Sociotard

I recently blew 20 points on a pair of overall skill levels on a character (he had a lot of skills). It's been nice! I can use any skill at 13- or 14- one at a time, my characteristic rolls are great too, plus I get an edge in ranged combat AND hth! It's totally worth it.

My question is what Overall can't do. Obviously it can't apply to any Activation Roll powers. Can it apply to Ego CSL's? How about PER rolls?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What does "Overall" not cover?

They definitly apply in Ego combat and to Perception. The only thing I know of that they "officially" don't apply to are skills that are only Familiarities (i.e. at <=8) and personally I'd probably apply them even to that. I'd be interested to know how many people agree with me there, though.

Activation rolls? Don't know, officially.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks if there's something it doesn't apply to it's not an Overall level, it's an Overmost level.

Oh. You're right. it even mentions activation rolls being possible with GM permission.

That's because activation rolls are often used to simulate skill rolls (rsr's suck). Many of the super-skills in Dark Champions use this approach.

At 10 pts to add +1 to a single skill/attack/char roll each phase, it ought to be d*mn versatile.

The only thing I know of that they "officially" don't apply to are skills that are only Familiarities (i.e. at <=8) and personally I'd probably apply them even to that. I'd be interested to know how many people agree with me there, though.

I'd allow it if the character had a handful of fams and 1 or 2 skill levels.

If the character tried to buy 6 overall levels and only fams so he has the option of every skill at 14-, I'd disallow it.

I recently blew 20 points on a pair of overall skill levels on a character (he had a lot of skills). It's been nice! I can use any skill at 13- or 14- one at a time, my characteristic rolls are great too, plus I get an edge in ranged combat AND hth! It's totally worth it.

My question is what Overall can't do. Obviously it can't apply to any Activation Roll powers. Can it apply to Ego CSL's? How about PER rolls?

I don't aply them to contacts, I'd be hesitant about Universal skills as well...

That's a very good question. My gut says no' date=' but I have absolutely no real basis for the statement.[/quote']

I'm inclined to agree with you. Find Weakness is a power, not a skill, and the cost is deliberately kept relatively high for game balance purposes.

To my knowledge you can't apply any sort of level to the Dive For Cover maneuver.

I've tried, believe me, I've tried.

CorPsey

Uh...Why not?

Unless theres a FAQ bit somewhere I haven't bothered reading, I don't see why any Level that adds to your Dex roll couldn't be used for the Dive for Cover.

That eliminates most CSL's, but Overall levels are still good.

According to TUS on page 301 an Overall Skill level can be applied to:

"any Skill Roll, Characteristic Roll, PER Roll, Contact Roll, Find Weakness Roll, Attack Roll in normal or Mental Combat, Breakout Roll, or any other Roll the GM Approves. Characters can also use Overall Levels as if they were Combat Skill Levels to improve CV, ECV, the damage done by an attack, or for any other use to which a CSL can be put."

Weird' date=' I was pretty sure you could ... 3 point levels with Dive For Cover, Dodge and Block makes for an annoying target. :)[/quote']

I stand corrected!

pg. 394 5ER---If a character has skill levels that can apply to DEX Rolls, he may use those to improve his DEX Roll when Diving For Cover, provided he has not already allocated them in the Segment when he uses the Maneuver. (Ergo, Overall Levels may apply to Dive For Cover.)

However, elsewhere on the same page it says that you cannot apply CSLs to Dive For Cover, because CSLs only effect CV. But, hey, just buy that DEX roll up a little and it'll pay huge dividends later on...

cP

To my knowledge you can't apply any sort of level to the Dive For Cover maneuver.

I've tried, believe me, I've tried.

CorPsey

would it apply to find weakness?

Dive For Cover is a DEX Roll, Overall Skill Levels may be appiled to it.

Find Weakness is explicitely mentioned on 5ER p70. Yes You Can.