What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Recently finished watching the first (and only) live-action series of the Flash. Considerably different from the comics (especially how much they powered down the Flash),but still entertaining. I recommend the two episodes which had the Nightshade as a guest-star (though he had more to do with the Shadow than the comic-book superheroine) and the Trickster episodes (in which Mark Hamill first proves he does a better maniac than Jim Carrey).

I've also stared watching the new compact version of the original Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons. So far,it seems to be otherwise identical to the previous five amaray DVD set. More on this series later...

Recently finished watching the first (and only) live-action series of the Flash. Considerably different from the comics (especially how much they powered down the Flash)' date='but still entertaining. I recommend the two episodes which had the Nightshade as a guest-star (though he had more to do with the Shadow than the comic-book superheroine) and the Trickster episodes (in which Mark Hamill first proves he does a better maniac than Jim Carrey).[/quote']

IIRC, Mark Hamill really wanted to play the Trickster and wanted to be a reoccurring character.

Sanctuary season 2. Such a great series fem a gamers pov. Not great writing, but all the elements you need for a superheroes-sans-costumes/urban fantasy campaign.

A Very British Gangster. A look into organized crime in the UK through one Manchester gang boss in his last year of life. A reminder of why it's so very easy for young men to choose gang life, and that gangsters can seem sympathetic and charming when not robbing you or having you killed.

'The A-Team' movie.

Loads of fun, and very well done, I thought. The leads are likable and seem to have a genuine chenistry with each other. A couple of "Easter Eggs" during the movie (and there is a teeny-weeny bit after the credits). As action-comedy goes, definitely worth watching.

Since I saw Toy Story III, I've been re-watching my Pixar Collection, starting with Toy Story I and II, and then (in order of release) A Bug's Life (in which Pixar re-imagines Seven Samurai) and now Monsters Inc.

Guest steamteck

percy jackson and the oympians the lightning thief

I just watched that again with the kids and still liked it a lot even though they simplified it down form the book and lost lots of the future plot hooks .I actually prefer it to Harry Potter but then I always have been a sucker for the Olympians

Son of Godzilla

Make the hurting stop! Now, I love me some good monster movies, but this was bad on so many levels. Still, I continue to work my way though the franchise in order. Next up is Godzilla's revenge, which by reading the blurb on the netflix envelope is a movie that skips right past the "number of beers to enjoy" scale, straight to the "mixed drinks" one.

Horror film kick....saw the following...

Halloween 2(the Rob Zombie one): Pretty much a piece of crap. And the ending...very stupid.

Re-animator: Now THIS is a good horror flick. Original...entertaining...and creepy/frightening at the same time. The film makers clearly had some balls. Check out the sex scene..unforgettable...lol

From Beyond: From the same group that did the above film. Not quite as good as Re-animator, but still very competent and fun. WAY better than most of the crap put out now. Based on a Lovecraft short story and definitely has that " WTF is going on" feel to it(but in a good way). This one weakens a bit in the final third, but bangs out a hell of an ending.

Episodes 1-4 of Ultraman Ace: Better than I remembered, but the contrivances required for the "Wonder Twins" like transformation of the lead characters into Ultraman Ace wore thin only two episodes in....and the two leads have no skills that'd make them useful to a paramilitary operation, so WTF are they doing there? LOL

I finally sat down and watched Forbidden Kingdom. This should be mandatory watching prior to starting any wild martial arts campaign. I give it three thumbs up' date=' hard to do with only two hands. :sneaky:[/quote']

I've often felt that anyone contemplating a wuxia/wild martial arts game needs to watch Big Trouble in Little China. Because if you don't like what you see there, you're probably going to hate what Hong Kong does in their films.

That said, I also liked Forbidden Kingdom a great deal.

I remember sing Forbidden Kingdom on opening weekend. It was an excellent film and most certainly should be required viewing for any MA campaign. The acting, especially for a MA movie, was top notch. But what would you expect from a movie with both Jackie Chan & Jet Li. And Trouble in Little China was a good solid movie and should also be watched once.

La Rose.

Horror film kick....saw the following...

Halloween 2(the Rob Zombie one): Pretty much a piece of crap. And the ending...very stupid.

Re-animator: Now THIS is a good horror flick. Original...entertaining...and creepy/frightening at the same time. The film makers clearly had some balls. Check out the sex scene..unforgettable...lol

From Beyond: From the same group that did the above film. Not quite as good as Re-animator, but still very competent and fun. WAY better than most of the crap put out now. Based on a Lovecraft short story and definitely has that " WTF is going on" feel to it(but in a good way). This one weakens a bit in the final third, but bangs out a hell of an ending.

Episodes 1-4 of Ultraman Ace: Better than I remembered, but the contrivances required for the "Wonder Twins" like transformation of the lead characters into Ultraman Ace wore thin only two episodes in....and the two leads have no skills that'd make them useful to a paramilitary operation, so WTF are they doing there? LOL

I second both Re-Animator and From Beyond. :thumbup: