What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

An episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents from 1958 turned up in my Instant Queue (at the recommendation of family members I added Season 3). Half the episodes of the season were only available on the DVD, but one that was available was a nifty little story called "Bull in a China Shop". In this episode, an LA homicide detective becomes the object of obsession among the residents of a boarding house across the street; residents who have begun dropping like flies after taking too much arsenic with their tea....

How involved Hitchcock was involved in the actual heavy labor of the production is anyone's guess, especially since at the time he was making North by Northwest. His most obvious involvement was as the wry presenter of the series, having many arch comments about the medium and the need to somehow keep the advertisers happy in spite of their inanity. Alfred Hitchcock was never one for tolerating stupidity....

Let's see...

I was able to pick up some $5.00 DVDs, so I watched:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

The Time Machine (1960 George Pal version)

Ned Kelly (2003 film with Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom)

Let's see...

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Ned Kelly (2003 film with Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom)

George Pal's Time Machine is really good, arguably the best version of the story.

Let's see...

George Pal's Time Machine is really good' date=' arguably the best version of the story.[/quote']

It's way better than the 2003 nonsense.

I have to agree with both of these comments. I remember seeing it once around the holidays on local TV when I was a kid with the folks. Normally they would chat through a TV movie, but no one spoke at all when it was on. It has some of the most magnificently unearthly scenery I've ever seen, even with modern films.

I have to agree with both of these comments. I remember seeing it once around the holidays on local TV when I was a kid with the folks. Normally they would chat through a TV movie' date=' but no one spoke at all when it was on. It has some of the most magnificently unearthly scenery I've ever seen, even with modern films.[/quote']

Well... it was some interesting scenery... but I did have fun checking out the obvious matt paintings the like.

Well... it was some interesting scenery... but I did have fun checking out the obvious matt paintings the like.

I also admit to liking their version of the Morlocks. The 'machine world' underground looked impressive, even if I have no idea what the heck those machines were supposed to be doing.

Finished up Smallville s8 and started in on Birds of Prey.

Good luck with that. I thought Birds of Prey was totally unwatchable. You could tell that it was meant to be a Gotham city version of Smallville, but it was so poorly done that it succeeded only in making Smallville look like high art by comparison.

Godzilla vs. Mothra

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

These were the early 90s re-dos, not to be confused with the 60s' originals. While you'd think that ~30 years would help the SFX, it doesn't. They tried to do more overlay 2 scales in one shot, but the technology of the day left a noticeable edge. It's a pet peave of mine. When the special effects stand out in a jarring way, it ruins the immersion in the movie. When it's just a guy in a suit trashing scale cities, there are no SFX artifacts to jar my monster movie experience. 30 years of military aviation didn't help the guys in the movie either. F-14's bounced toy rockets just as ineffectually off of Godzilla as their 1950's counterparts.

just saw Shutter Island.. it was decent... never was a big Leo fan, but I think I like him as an actor the older he gets... really liked him in the Departed.

been watching a bunch of Korean movies lately. I love Netflix! Let's see... The Host, The Red Shoes (lame), The Mr. Vengeance trilogy... just got Tae Guk Gi in the mail today and Shiri is in my instant queue... a '99 film with the beautiful Yunjin Kim(from Lost).

Birds of Prey

Interesting that the only difference between the unaired pilot and the premiere was the recasting of Harley and reshooting her scenes.

I remember being doubly disappointed becasue I really liked the actress who played Oracle. She was also one of the only things worth watching in that horrible Starship Troopers movie. Dina Meyer?

I remember being doubly disappointed becasue I really liked the actress who played Oracle. She was also one of the only things worth watching in that horrible Starship Troopers movie. Dina Meyer?

Yes.