What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Wuxia fest at my place: The Warlords' date=' The Good The Bad The Weird, Mr Vampire[/i']

That was Saturday. Monday we watched: Ip Man 1, Ip Man 2, City of Violence, and Arahan: Urban Martial Arts Action.

• The Warlords -- Jet Li, Andy Lau, and Takeshi Kaneshiro fight in the Taipeng Rebellion circa 1870. While a good film about the futility of war and the bonds of brotherhood, it ends (as you might guess) on a downer note.
  • The Good The Bad The Weird -- A Korean "kimchee Western." I've mentioned this awesome Pulp-era film before and highly recommend it to anyone who plans on a 1930s game set in the "far East."
  • Mr Vampire -- Quirky horror-comedy that created (IIRC) a craze for ghost-busting and hopping vampires in films. While nowhere near the level of A Chinese Ghost Story, it has its moments.
  • Ip Man 1, Ip Man 2 -- Biopic on the life and trials of Wing Chun Master Ip Man. While highly fictionalized, and very much movies about Chinese pride, the story and action is accessible to Westerners as well. And if all else fails, the fights are frequent enough to keep anyone's attention.
  • City of Violence -- Korean revenge flic that reminds one very much of a Tarantino film. A good Tarantino film. Also a must-see for anyone running Dark Champions games and not wanting to have guns everywhere.
  • Arahan: Urban Martial Arts Action -- Korean martial arts 'comedy' about a bumbling young police cadet who seems to be "the One." Similar in some ways to Kung Fu Hustle, but less of a parody/farce. It also makes for a good superhero origin story.

Tremors - The Complete Series

DVD release, contains all 13 episodes in the original production order (rather than the out of order they were broadcast by the Sci-Fi Channel). No extras of any kind are included.

Yeah, I want to get that one myself. Why did SyFy cancel it? Did some exec deem it too intelligent for the audience they were trying to reach?

One wishes they'd been able to keep with the storyline shown in the first episode, where Christopher Lloyd helped the actor playing Bert Gummer against the monster. Just imagine, Bert Gummer and Doc Brown versus unspeakable mutations every week!

I was watching some episodes of New Amsterdam on Hulu. It's a FOX series that has already died, but it was sort of interesting in its way. I will sum it up as Higlander meets NYPD Blue. The title character, John Amsterdam, is a detective, but he is also an immortal. It seems that some time in the 1600s, when he was a Dutch soldier in the then brand new colony, he saved the life of a Native American shaman's daughter. As a reward, a spell was cast on him that insured that he would never age or die until he met his one true love.

Fast forward 400 years , and he is solving crimes in the Big Apple. Everyone thinks he's odd because he knows so much about the city's history and has knowledge of seemingly every profession known to man. Basically, he tries a new identity and profession every generation or so. He knows New York intimately because he has always lived there except for some breaks to go off to war.

The show was not the greatest, being a little derivative, but I liked the character. He woudl be a good write-up for a weird Dark Champions or street-level Champions NPC. I might eventually get around to writing it up.

They made a knowing tip of the hat to Highlander in one episode. Someone asks Amsterdam if anything could kill him. He replies that he hasn't found anything yet that would. The questioner follows up by asking if being decapitated would do the trick. Amsterdam says that it had never happened to him yet, adding that he would definitely try to avoid finding out for sure.

You might want to catch a couple of episodes if you're into that sort of thing. It's a better produced show than Higlander and light years better than Forever Knight.

Yeah, I want to get that one myself. Why did SyFy cancel it? Did some exec deem it too intelligent for the audience they were trying to reach?

One wishes they'd been able to keep with the storyline shown in the first episode, where Christopher Lloyd helped the actor playing Bert Gummer against the monster. Just imagine, Bert Gummer and Doc Brown versus unspeakable mutations every week!

It did seem that way, with how episodes were run out of order when they had been broadcast. I need to go back through my VHS tapes and pull out the TV ads for the show (I'll make my own extras, dagnabbit.)

The concept of the Mixmaster compound is a good one for making weird science critters for a game. (I really should pity the players if I can assemble some, I've had too long to come of with stuff.)

Yet more Buffy The Vampire Slayer (season 6) and yet more Angel (season 3). About halfway through each.

First, the slow colliding train wreck that is Angel - the only thing saving it that Cordelia is the only one among them that actually has a shred of decency. And Fred is just fun to watch, Amy Acker did a great job with that character. I suppose the only reason they introduced Connor is that they could finally have a reason for Angel to stop acting like a 14 year old. And we haven't even gotten to teen-age Connor yet - I'm not really looking forward to that. Angel just went off in a sucky direction completely.

Buffy... oh angsty little Buffy, fine I get they're playing up the whole "I was ripped out of heaven" bit, but it gets old. Also, Xander + Anya, I hate you Joss, you should have just let them be the happy couple and get on with the rest of the show. Seriously, dumb story line. Should have been off-screen wedding, non-issue kind of thing, and let their little bickering fights stay as cute exchanges. Willow, still adorable - another character that the actress handled extremely well and made fun to watch.

I'll muddle through the rest of it, even if I don't like some of what I know is coming along. There's little gems hidden in all the muck worth watching.

Yet more Buffy The Vampire Slayer (season 6) and yet more Angel (season 3). About halfway through each.
Didn't see much of the later Angel when it aired and Hulu can't seem to get the license to air it so I have little comment on that. Buffy Season 7 pretty much has some of those gems in the mud, but most of those are at the beginning of the season (IMO). More mud accumulates as the season progresses. At least IMO.

Didn't see much of the later Angel when it aired and Hulu can't seem to get the license to air it so I have little comment on that. Buffy Season 7 pretty much has some of those gems in the mud' date=' but most of those are at the beginning of the season (IMO). More mud accumulates as the season progresses. At least IMO.[/quote']

I happened to like the last episodes of Buffy.

Watched all 10 episodes of The Pacific. While good... and very brutal in its depiction of island warfare, I felt it missed something. In Band of Brothers you identify more with the main characters because you get time to know them via boot camp. The Pacific doesn't do that and drops you straight into the fighting and then skips around, following the three main characters, making the overall narrative feel a little disjointed.

Watched Neighbors from Hell on TBS. Looks like a fun little show. Not much depth, but plenty of good gags, with some nauseating "humor".

This morning I discovered that the copy of Tales of the Gold Monkey I had preordered had already been delivered, so I know what I'm going to be watching for the next few days.

Finally finished watching my boxed set of Guyver:The Bioboosted Armor Complete Collection. It's, as the title states, all 26 episodes of the 2005 Guyver anime series in one boxed set. If you are an anime or superhero or horror fan, you will want to have this in your collection.