What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Watched Neighbors from Hell on TBS. Looks like a fun little show. Not much depth, but plenty of good gags, with some nauseating "humor".

This morning I discovered that the copy of Tales of the Gold Monkey I had preordered had already been delivered, so I know what I'm going to be watching for the next few days.

Mine arrived sometime in the afternoon/early evening, though I didn't hear any doorbell. Amazon had actually combined two separate orders in one box, so I got a Steve Hackett (early Genesis) album that I'd preordered separately, as well as the latest Asia CD, which I couldn't find anywhere in town. So, I had the problem of what to watch/listen to first. I broke down, and listened to about a quarter of the Asia disc, and then watched the pilot from Tales of the Gold Monkey. It's still a lot of fun after all these years. Now, if Disney will release the last dozen or so episodes of Talespin on DVD, my South Pacific seaplane adventure shows will be complete!

JoeG

American Pie 2. - pretty much exactly the stupid movie I thought it would be. In all honesty I watched it solely because of Alyson Hannigan, whose smile I find utterly adorable, and think she has excellent comedic timing. I tossed How I Met Your Mother into my Netflix DVD queue just to see her in more stuff.

American Pie 2. - pretty much exactly the stupid movie I thought it would be. In all honesty I watched it solely because of Alyson Hannigan' date=' whose smile I find utterly adorable, and think she has excellent comedic timing. I tossed How I Met Your Mother into my Netflix DVD queue just to see her in more stuff.[/quote']

I haven't seen any of the american pie movies, but started to watch How I Met Your Mother because of Alyson Hannigan and after watching 5 season am a fan. Amy Acker & Alexis Denisof guest star though from memory that is in season 2.

I'm nearly finished watching season 4 of Angel, 7 episodes to go, though I've seen the last one twice already.

I haven't seen any of the american pie movies, but started to watch How I Met Your Mother because of Alyson Hannigan and after watching 5 season am a fan. Amy Acker & Alexis Denisof guest star though from memory that is in season 2.

I'm nearly finished watching season 4 of Angel, 7 episodes to go, though I've seen the last one twice already.

I'm nearly done with Season 3 of Angel ... I'm really not into the storyline where Wesley does exactly what they just spent half a season yelling at Angel about and betraying the team. It's just the kind of redundant stupid I figured these characters would have grown out of by now. But no, apparently not. Angel just goes extra retarded until Spike shows back up. I may skip only to the parts that involve the Faith story line and Willow crossing over to get some of the sidestory for Season 7 of Buffy.

I may skip only to the parts that involve the Faith story line and Willow crossing over to get some of the sidestory for Season 7 of Buffy.

With this line you are referring to Season 4 of Angel aren't you (cause I've just watched Faith and Willow just before the big finish to Buffy's season 7)?

... and then watched the pilot from Tales of the Gold Monkey. It's still a lot of fun after all these years. Now' date=' if Disney will release the last dozen or so episodes of [i']Talespin[/i] on DVD, my South Pacific seaplane adventure shows will be complete!

I still gotta get Talespin, but I did watch the pilot (first) and second episode. I'm trying to only watch one or two a week so as to savor them. I only ever saw four episodes and that was right after I got satellite TV for the first time (and shortly before Nick at Night pulled it from rotation :().

Lately, I've been TIVO-ing Cow and Chicken on Boomerang. It always cracks me up when Chicken says something like "Cow, if you don't stop botherin' me I'm gonna tell everyone at school you milked the bed!"

Just saw The Legend of Boggy Creek. Considering just how low budget it is (cost $100 grand to make and it's earned something like $200 million according to Wikipedia), it's a surprisingly good docudrama. Heck, even if you view it as pure fiction it's still better written and performed than almost any film the SyFy Channel has shown since ever.

Finished season 1 of Life and working through season 2. All I can say is that I want to run that campaign. An excellent cop drama with a lot of humor that somehow doesn't get in the way of the drama. I think that fans of Castle would like this show.

House Of Flying Daggers - good Wuxia movie. The wife walked in on the final battle scene and promptly asked "Is this one of those where everyone dies, aka the Chinese Happy Ending?" Some cool fight scenes, especially one neat one in a bamboo forest. Good love story overall, not a very typical one though. Not a Chinese Happy Ending though.

More Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Season 7); I've given up completely on Angel, I find it repulsive to watch. I'll skip in on the Season 4 episodes that have cross-over relevance to Buffy's final season and then skip right onto Season 5 of Angel. I'm just completely disappointed in Angel as a series overall.

House Of Flying Daggers - good Wuxia movie. The wife walked in on the final battle scene and promptly asked "Is this one of those where everyone dies, aka the Chinese Happy Ending?" Some cool fight scenes, especially one neat one in a bamboo forest. Good love story overall, not a very typical one though. Not a Chinese Happy Ending though.

More Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Season 7); I've given up completely on Angel, I find it repulsive to watch. I'll skip in on the Season 4 episodes that have cross-over relevance to Buffy's final season and then skip right onto Season 5 of Angel. I'm just completely disappointed in Angel as a series overall.

Buffy & Angel were tricky for me. I loved the first three seasons of Buffy and really liked the second and third seasons of Angel. There were individual episodes of both series in the "bad" seasons that I thought were excellent (the Lucha & Muppet episodes of Angel are favorites, even though I strongly disliked that season). I'm not sure whether Joss had too little involvement, or if I just didn't like the choices he made as a writer.

Buffy & Angel were tricky for me. I loved the first three seasons of Buffy and really liked the second and third seasons of Angel. There were individual episodes of both series in the "bad" seasons that I thought were excellent (the Lucha & Muppet episodes of Angel are favorites' date=' even though I strongly disliked that season). I'm not sure whether Joss had too little involvement, or if I just didn't like the choices he made as a writer.[/quote']

For me it's the choices as a writer for Angel. Granted, removing and then horribly destroying one of my favorite characters in Angel (Cordelia) has turned me off. Even the worst writing decisions in Buffy manage to trump the best ones in Angel. The first four seasons of Angel is seeing which male lead can act more like a whiny 14 year old - in fact most of Joss' male characters come off as petulant children than they do as actual people. Angel whines and angsts his way through Season 1 and 2 - even as we watch Cordelia become a truly selfless person Angel becomes truly selfish. And as soon as we get past that Wesley goes all retarded and does exactly what they just got done driving the point home with a sledgehammer on Angel about (betraying the group). Cordelia gets ascended, only to return as probably the stupidest villain ever while Conner takes center stage as the stupidest whiny character who can't think in the series. It just gets old after while where the only real division in the group is which one of them makes the mistake that another one of them just got done making.

In both series, Spike is probably the most tragic character of them all, while I had great amusement watching him in Angel Season 5 (which I will rewatch as I missed a few episodes way back when), I think he should have been left dead with his truly noble sacrifice at the end of Buffy. Even Xander at his worst (and really, I believe Joss made a huge mistake not simply letting Xander and Anya become a married couple, even with an off-screen wedding, it would have really just been a good solid grounding of Why the group is fighting: normal people and normal lives should get to be that) is more mature than any Angel character at their best.

I think Joss had a good idea when Angel started up; both Angel and Cordelia were two characters who needed to learn what it meant to fight For Others instead of for themselves, and he just lost track really early on with that. He got caught up with the whole notion of the "big bad Wolfram & Hart" style antagonist he had with Buffy. Which works awesomely with Buffy, but less so with a slightly darker more anti-hero tone of Angel.

For me even the most heart-wrenching writing decisions in Buffy, and the ones I like the least (Xander and Ayna splitting, Tara's death, Johnathan never really getting the redemption or acceptance he was trying so hard for - another good example of a truly tragic character, Anya's rather anti-climactic death) were better in context than pretty much any plot on Angel.

Of both series, the only character I think had much more room to grow and had a story that could have been very interesting is Willow - part of me wonders if something really cool wouldn't have come out of a 3-4 season spin-off series focusing on her character after Buffy ended.

Overall in Angel there are orver-arching storylines that I dislike, Darla becoming a vampire again and being sired by Dru, Connor being born, and instant growing up (though the actor is ok), Holtz time travelling, and the two main story arcs in Season 4 of Angel (though the mass-peace-out by the Villain reminds me of the Mayor in Season 4 of Buffy), I do like certain characters in Angel: Angel (as Batman), Fred, Cordy, Wesley, Lilah (as a villain) & W&H.

The crossover episodes to watch in relation to season 7 of Buffy are:

Salvage

Release (not directly a crossover episode but continues the Faith storyline)

Orpheus

Home (again not 'really' a crossover episode overall but contains something specific for Buffy)

Buffy & Angel were tricky for me. I loved the first three seasons of Buffy and really liked the second and third seasons of Angel. There were individual episodes of both series in the "bad" seasons that I thought were excellent (the Lucha & Muppet episodes of Angel are favorites' date=' even though I strongly disliked that season). I'm not sure whether Joss had too little involvement, or if I just didn't like the choices he made as a writer.[/quote']

Just starting to watch Angel season 5. Seen the Luche episode already and liked it. Haven't yet seen the muppet episode.

Also Joss' attention was split 3 ways during this time: Buffy, Angel and Firefly. I guess something had to give. :)

Also been meaning to catch up with you regarding these posts from a year ago (you might like to see what your opinions were like a year ago too :) ) :

I thought Seasons 2 & 3 were Buffy's strongest. Season 4 was OK' date=' but that's where I thought the series started to coast. 5 was the start of the downturn, 6 was bad, and 7 was unwatchable. All imo, of course.[/quote']

What about Angel?

I've got S1 & 2, but haven't watched either yet.

Really liked seasons 1-4. Some great episodes in Season 5' date=' but it didn't hold together as well as the rest of the series. Season 5 actually has four of my favorite episodes, and two I can't stand, making it pretty uneven for me.[/quote']

Any tips about which episodes you didn't like in season 5 of Angel, I'm sure ghost-angel and myself would find it helpful.