Seacouver, Washington

Mark Rand

Re: Seacouver, Washington

I originally planned to fit Seacouver into the area. Now, it looks like it might replace some smaller cities, possibly Sequim and Dungeness. The Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge and Dungeness Recreational Area would be renamed the Seacouver National Wildlife Refuge and Seacouver Recreational Area.

The Dungeness Lighthouse would be renamed Old Seacouver Lighthouse. Although it still exists, it is no longer an active lighthouse.

What else? Beoing could easily have donated the team's aircraft and may also have perfected a single-stage-to-orbit space shuttle.

As far as the rest of the world goes, it's pretty close to the Champions Universe. Jonathan Hayes defeated Dubya in 2004, and, although the DOSPA provides the official federal liaison to superhero teams, other agencies often provide liaisons, too.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally planned to fit Seacouver into the area. Now, it looks like it might replace some smaller cities, possibly Sequim and Dungeness. The Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge and Dungeness Recreational Area would be renamed the Seacouver National Wildlife Refuge and Seacouver Recreational Area.

The Dungeness Lighthouse would be renamed Old Seacouver Lighthouse. Although it still exists, it is no longer an active lighthouse.

What else? Beoing could easily have donated the team's aircraft and may also have perfected a single-stage-to-orbit space shuttle.

As far as the rest of the world goes, it's pretty close to the Champions Universe. Jonathan Hayes defeated Dubya in 2004, and, although the DOSPA provides the official federal liaison to superhero teams, other agencies often provide liaisons, too.

The presence of lavendar and the Dungenes crab in the area of Sequim and Dungenes would certainly have been an added incentive for the establishment of a Spanish colony there in the first place.

IMHO that lighthouse is just begging to be converted into a superhero base. :D

If you're drawing from the Champions Universe, then we can start thinking about how characters and organizations from that world would fit in here. VIPER and DEMON are both standard considerations, of course, but if the city is sufficiently modern then ARGENT would likely have a significant presence, particularly if Seacouver went through a recent rebuilding/expansion phase.

Playing up my earlier suggestion of Meso-American artifacts being brought north by the Spaniards, there may be something in the city or its vicinity that the god Tezcatlipoca (from Arcane Adversaries) is interested in acquiring.

If there's a strong Russian minority in Seacouver, the Russian Organisatzya could be the strongest organized-crime presence in the city. That may ultimately involve the PCs with some of the superhuman strongmen of Russian crime, such as Beek, Slun or Molnya (from Champions Worldwide).

At one time' date=' Port Townsend was the #2 Shanghai port on the West Coast. It seems to have been a real hazard down around the waterfront... a historical note you can graft on.[/quote']

The history of Port Townsend - going from potential boom town to backwater due to the quirks of historical events - is a good precedent for how you can tailor the history of fictional cities to suit whatever role you want them to play in your campaign.

The presence of lavendar and the Dungenes crab in the area of Sequim and Dungenes would certainly have been an added incentive for the establishment of a Spanish colony there in the first place.

IMHO that lighthouse is just begging to be converted into a superhero base. :D

If you're drawing from the Champions Universe, then we can start thinking about how characters and organizations from that world would fit in here. VIPER and DEMON are both standard considerations, of course, but if the city is sufficiently modern then ARGENT would likely have a significant presence, particularly if Seacouver went through a recent rebuilding/expansion phase.

Playing up my earlier suggestion of Meso-American artifacts being brought north by the Spaniards, there may be something in the city or its vicinity that the god Tezcatlipoca (from Arcane Adversaries) is interested in acquiring.

If there's a strong Russian minority in Seacouver, the Russian Organisatzya could be the strongest organized-crime presence in the city. That may ultimately involve the PCs with some of the superhuman strongmen of Russian crime, such as Beek, Slun or Molnya (from Champions Worldwide).

Good stuff from Lord Laiden. I owe you rep.

The Dungeness Lighthouse is perched at the tip of the six mile Dungeness Spit and is considered part of the Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge. It is actually still active and run by a non-profet group.

Now, if I replace Port Townsend (population 8,334 in the 2000 census) and the surrounding area with Seacouver, we could use Point Wilson Lighthouse as the base. This lighthouse marks the turning point for ships entering the Admiralty Inlet. It has a flashing red and white light that is 31 feet above the water.

A quick addition to the information I posted above about Point Wilson Light. It is 2 miles north of Port Townsend in Fort Worden State Park.

Various sources give different heights for the tower. Some may refer to the focal point of the fourth-order lens instead of the top of the tower.

What else? Well, dont forget about this little company called Microsoft. In itself, that may not be a big deal, but a LOT of high tech industry has gravitated here because of them. I can think of a dozen video game companies in the area, there Adobe, there's Real Networks, Nintendo (who, to be fair were here before Microsoft got big) - a really long list. So, an "Western Washington Institute for Very Advanced Science" (and all the plot complications that entails) would be right at home here.

Other notable features would be several large military bases within a rocks throw of here - Bangor, Everett shipyards and Fort Lewis a little bit further away to the south. High tech+military hardware=SUPERVILLIANS!

What else? Well, dont forget about this little company called Microsoft. In itself, that may not be a big deal, but a LOT of high tech industry has gravitated here because of them. I can think of a dozen video game companies in the area, there Adobe, there's Real Networks, Nintendo (who, to be fair were here before Microsoft got big) - a really long list. So, an "Western Washington Institute for Very Advanced Science" (and all the plot complications that entails) would be right at home here.

Other notable features would be several large military bases within a rocks throw of here - Bangor, Everett shipyards and Fort Lewis a little bit further away to the south. High tech+military hardware=SUPERVILLIANS!

Good points. Some of these high-tech companies could have either sold or donated the team stuff.

Also' date=' some hints about the rest of the world would be helpful. How close is it to mainstream super-Earths (i.e. real-world history and politics with supers for flavor)? Who are the major super players in the world?[/quote']

I have a few more things to add here.

On 9/11/2001, terrorists hijacked several planes and tried to ram targets with them. Various heroes stopped the planes from crashing and delivered them to area airports where PRIMUS agents took charge of the terrorists. The Patriot Act was enacted, but the parts of it that violated the constitution were removed by the Supreme Court. Dubya wasn't a happy camper.

President Jonathan Hayes, a former marine, pulled our troops out of Iraq because, to quote him, "The United States shouldn't be involved in their civil war."

The President has stated that while he believes that the Second Ammendment to the Constitution did not permit various militia groups, or, as he calls them, terrorists, to exist, he has no problem with unsanctioned superheroes that don't kill.

Another point to keep in mind.... The low mountains to the south of Squiem would make for an awesome area for hidden bases and such. You would have to get the logging stopped first though. Maybe use the spotted owls as a environmental reason.

Then go in and build a multi-story underground complex.

;)

Port Angeles itself has relatively little buildable land. It is one of the reasons Sequim is growing far faster. They have a lot more flat area to encourage new construction. Most of the flat area in PA is already being used. Of course, a real metropolis would cover both...

Keith "PA harbor is a supertanker parking lot" Curtis

Port Angeles itself has relatively little buildable land. It is one of the reasons Sequim is growing far faster. They have a lot more flat area to encourage new construction. Most of the flat area in PA is already being used. Of course, a real metropolis would cover both...

Keith "PA harbor is a supertanker parking lot" Curtis

You're right. Dungeness would be part of it, too. I think I'll get rid of the spit. It doesn't look too cool.

One thing I will be having is a stable of NPCs.

One will be my character if I let someone else act as GM. A second group will be there to flesh out the campaign. Neither my PC nor the NPCs used to flesh out the team will be the leader. The support staff and liaisons make up a third group.

The fourth, and largest group will be the NPCs that make up the general population. This includes everyone from the governer and mayor down to the school crossing guard posted at the corner. (A high school is three blocks away from the base, a local mansion.)

:cool: I wasn't aware of that. Interesting tidbit. You know' date=' a Russian presence and connection in a West Coast port city much earlier in history raises all sorts of possibilities, like Czarist refugees after the Bolshevik Revolution, or Cold War intrigues, perhaps resulting in prejudice against the Russian minority.[/quote']

Here ya go.

I considered that' date=' but decided instead to create Seacouver. Even though it's the American city from [i']Highlander: the series,[/i] I think it'll work as a superhero campaign city.

Well, I'm jealous. I used Seacouver as well, but I didn't get it from Highlander. I got if from a board game called Minion Hunter and placed the city right about where it was on that map (which is right about were you're placing it, Mark).

Of course, this is all excellent material! Half of what's been mentioned I have actually used (pirates, Spanish colony) and a lot I hadn't really thought of. Something I included but hasn't been mentioned here yet was the involvement of the Native American tribes in the area. I ended up making up tribe names rather than using real ones to give me the freedom in completely screwing up their culture and mythology in true superheroic comic fashion.

It's a shame I haven't gotten around to making my website or else I could point you in the direction of an entire Seacouver sourcebook.