Power Request: Bouncing

CorPse

Hey Gang,

I've been thinking of developing a character whose schtick is Bouncing...

But every time I sit down to write it up, I can't decide on which way to go with the mechanics: Leaping built with an Endurance battery that can only be charged by absorbing kinetic energy, Flight with limitations, etc., etc.

I'd prefer not to damn myself with a power that requires tons of book-keeping, but I'd like for it to be at least a little "realistic" at least in game terms.

Any thoughts?

cP

Re: Power Request: Bouncing

Not thoughts, no, bizarre journeys to the outer limtis, perhaps...

I bounce therefore I am...

...a Hero!

So. I assume we have ruled out absorbtion to leaping NCC? Silly idea.

Can you give me some idea what you want to do? I mean armour with a side effect (uncontrolled movement) is an option but it depends what you are after.

Hey Gang,

I've been thinking of developing a character whose schtick is Bouncing...

But every time I sit down to write it up, I can't decide on which way to go with the mechanics: Leaping built with an Endurance battery that can only be charged by absorbing kinetic energy, Flight with limitations, etc., etc.

I'd prefer not to damn myself with a power that requires tons of book-keeping, but I'd like for it to be at least a little "realistic" at least in game terms.

Any thoughts?

cP

Off the top of my head I'd go with Flight with limitations since the character's own STR would have little effect once the bouncing began. Probably (-1/4) like Only on a Surface. Also might be a good way to explain why terminal velocity impacts with the ground have no effect.

Off the top of my head I'd go with Flight with limitations since the character's own STR would have little effect once the bouncing began. Probably (-1/4) like Only on a Surface. Also might be a good way to explain why terminal velocity impacts with the ground have no effect.

They would though: you can only decelerate so fast - 5" per phase, so a terminal velocity impact would be reduced to 25 d6 damage.

You could buy it as Flight ' only to reduce impact damage to the character' -2. that way the character would bounce up to terminal velocity but would, without moving less distance, have a lower speed for impact purposes.

Well, for my Cannon Bolt write up I did it with a combination of a few different powers. Namely:

- Running Useable As Leaping

- Physical Absorption (to Running) that fades as soon as thee character stops moving.

- Force Field that, while active has a side effect of causing the character to take increased inches of Knockback

- Knockback Resistance, Only Reduces Damage taken not inches moved

- Lots of Breakfall and Acrobatics.

Well' date=' for my Cannon Bolt write up I did it with a combination of a few different powers. Namely:

- Running Useable As Leaping

- Physical Absorption (to Running) that fades as soon as thee character stops moving.

- Force Field that, while active has a side effect of causing the character to take increased inches of Knockback

- Knockback Resistance, Only Reduces Damage taken not inches moved

- Lots of Breakfall and Acrobatics.

I like this combination. Well thought out.

A loooong time ago, someone not officially associated with Hero Games published an article in the Dragon (back in the days when it printed articles not about D&D) that featured a power called 'bouncing' among other a number of other things, almost all of which were unbalanced and poorly thought out.

That caused a lot of problems, but it was a long time ago...

The Ultimate Speedster provides a "bouncing" build as Leaping with a Trigger that takes no time to activate and resets as a Zero Phase Action. This rebounding Leap can occur even after a Full Move, and after each Full Move.

The villain El Salto from TUS and Evil Unleashed uses this build.

A loooong time ago, someone not officially associated with Hero Games published an article in the Dragon (back in the days when it printed articles not about D&D) that featured a power called 'bouncing' among other a number of other things, almost all of which were unbalanced and poorly thought out.

That caused a lot of problems, but it was a long time ago...

Agreed. Though Bouncing in that article was a Skill, not a Power.

Way back in the dawn of time one of my old group put together a game for DunDraCon where the Heros were all pretty useless, ala Mystery Men (but in the 80's). I was playing, IIRC, Random, a Greatest American Hero battlesuit homage character...I was probably the most powerful PC, but with that whole pesky "Don't know what the bloody suit is gonna do" thing.

Anyway, turns out the plot of the game was Saving Toothopolis. Extra Dimensional deal, you know the drill. Comedy game. Well, the badguys (Yes, the Cavity Creeps) had been the first to recruit extra dimensional help, and so were now being led by Doctor Nasty and his sidekick Zodo, the point of the whole rambling babble.

Better known as Zodo the Frog.

Zodo the Barfing Frog.

Who was around the size of a basketball, smalled bad, had an annoying sense of humor, and a 6d6 RKA projectile Vomit attack. The worst bit was... he bounced.

Oh boy did he bounce.

At first, we thought superleap was it.

Nope. X2 Knockback as a Vunerability, Takes Knockback Damage from Knockback Damage as a physical limitation. Regeneration and TONS of Body only defences completed the package.

I WALLOPED this frog, got a lucky roll and got a perfect power at the moment, like Mick sings, and knocked the thing into next week.

It came back. What, until that moment, the GM had failed to take into consideration was the perpetual motion nature of this combonation. The frog became an unconcious projectile zinging about the feild picking up speed and pulverizing anything it bounced off. It finally flew off to far horizons through the shattered walls of that section of Toothopolis.

Oops. :nonp:

Anyway... Not what I'd reccomend, but I had to share.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread inspired me to try a Bouncing Speedster. He has had one night of play, and so far the character is alot of fun. I drew the build from most of the posts here (kudos to all). The character's name is Eight Ball and here is what I did for the main part of the build (350 pt. campaign, 60 AP Max).

6d6 PD Absorption [into Leaping] (30), Increased Return Rate [1 Phase] (-1/2) plus 6d6 ED Absorption [into Leaping] (30), Increased Return Rate [1 Phase] (-1/2), Standard Effect Rule (0) 40 pts.

20 PD/ 20 ED Force Field (40), 0 END (+1/2), Linked to Absorption (-1/2), Only up to Amount Rolled on Absorption (-1/2) 30 pts.

19” Leaping, Position Shift (5), 0 END (+1/2), Trigger {One Defined Condition [PD or ED Damage], Activation Takes No Time, Trigger Resets Automatically} (+1), Linked to Absorption (-1/2), Only up to Amount Rolled on Absorption (-1/2) 30 pts.

75% Resistant PD Damage Reduction, Only Works Against Knockback and Move Through Damage (-1/2) 40 pts.

Vulnerability to Knockback (Very Common, x2 Knockback) 30 pt. Disadvantage

The character really feels like a pinball. Essentially every time he takes impact damage it Triggers a Bounce (a Leap based on the BODY of the damage). I spend the time in between phases ricocheting all over the place and when it's my Phase, I use the boosted Leaping to perform Move Throughs. Your behind the Eight Ball now!

Here's how I wrote up Marvel's Frog Man and his uncontrolled bouncing.

Frog-Man’s leaping coils give him +15” Leaping. He often performs a Move Through as an attack, which is good, considering that he has only an 8 STR (his leaping velocity adds +5d6). His main attack seems to be some sort of multiple-bounce Move-Through-like attack that can hit more than one individual per Phase.

This is best simulated by an Area Effect HTH Attack set to the same amount as provided by his Move Through velocity, +5d6. The attack should have Selective Targeting (+1/2) and a Radius equal to half his Leaping movement, or about 8”. The natural radius of the power should be 2.5”, so we’ll have to double it twice to get 8” (technically, we’d have 10” at that point, but because of the power’s Special Effect, we are limited to 8”).

So far we have 5d6 HTH Attack AE: Radius (+1 1/2) (62 ActPts); Linked to Leaping (-1/4), Attack Sequence Ends and Character Suffers Damage as per Move Through If He Fails to Damage Any Target (-1), Side Effect: Character Deposited Randomly within Area of Effect at Completion of the Attack (-1), OIF (Frog Suit; -1/2). Total Cost for this “Random Bounce Attack” is 16 points.

He must make at least a Half Move with Leaping – the Radius is centered where ever he ends that Half Move. Although he can come at his targets from almost any direction, Area Effect attacks are inherently Indirect, and so Frog Man doesn’t need to buy this Advantage. He actually moves physically to attack each target, but in an uncontrolled fashion – should it become important, the GM determines his “flight path.” He may make many “extraneous” bounces on his way to each target.

The costume is probably armored to about 4 rPD/rED.

Frog Man seems hard to hit while bouncing, even though he’s an incompetent moron. Buy him +2 DCV-Only Levels (10 ActPts); Only in any Phase in Which Frog Man Uses Leaping (-1/2), OIF (-1/2) (5 Real Cost), as well as +2 DCV-Only Levels (10 ActPts); Only in any Phase in Which Frog Man Uses his “Random Bounce Attack” (-3/4), OIF (-1/2) (4 Real Cost).

Frog Man is not very skilled with his suit, but he does stand a good chance at hitting, just because of the chaotic way in which he “blindsides” targets with his Random Bounce Attack. Model this as +3 Levels with Random Bounce Attack (15 ActPts); Considered a “surprise attack” bonus (-1/2), OIF (-1/2) (7 ActPts). The fact that these levels are considered a “surprise attack” bonus means that they are not cumulative with Surprise Move bonuses, and may be completely negated by characters with Analyze Combat, Precognition, Danger Sense, or some sort of 360 degree Targeting Sense.

Not thoughts, no, bizarre journeys to the outer limtis, perhaps...

I bounce therefore I am...

...a Hero!

ROTFLOL!!! :rofl:

Okay, I should explain my laughter. I have a character named Zectron, who is basically a golden age superhero in a bronze age superhero world. He's a hero because he has superpowers, that's is primary motivation. He just thinks little boys who develop superpowers in puberty should be heroes.

Why is this so funny? Check out what zectron actually is: http://www.noframes.com/%60superballs/wham-o_super_ball_fact_sheet.htm

ROTFLOL!!! :rofl:

Okay, I should explain my laughter. I have a character named Zectron, who is basically a golden age superhero in a bronze age superhero world. He's a hero because he has superpowers, that's is primary motivation. He just thinks little boys who develop superpowers in puberty should be heroes.

Why is this so funny? Check out what zectron actually is: http://www.noframes.com/%60superballs/wham-o_super_ball_fact_sheet.htm

Wham-O!