That's Easy?? Show me how _you_ did it.

SSgt Baloo

Everyone has a different perspective on how to use the rules to do specific things. This thread is for the character concepts you think ought to be easy, but aren't. Post your suggested characters here and (hopefully) one of the nice people who read about it will say "That's easy. I'll show you how I did it:"

I've always kind of liked Dr. Doolittle as a character template, but just how would you do a character that can talk with the animals? I'm sure it would require GM cooperation (and some would simply not want to hear about it). So... just how would you[ do

Re: That's Easy?? Show me how _you_ did it.

Universal Translator (Animal Speech Only -1): 10 Points.

Whether or not animals can communicate in the manner of the Dr. Doolittle story (essentially conveying higher order concepts and having what we would term a conversation), or whether or not they can convey more realistic (and less useful) types of information is a function of genre and desired reality distortion levels rather than mechanics, in my opinion.

I built Lassie as a character on a lark once (not for play). I gave her English (Idiomatic) 4 Points because everyone always understood the exact meaning of her barking: "What that girl? Danny is in trouble? where is he? By the old mill-pond? He hit his head? Oh, no! Yes, I'm coming!" That was one articulate dog...

Talking with animals is easy.

Being understood, and being understood in turn is the trick.

Personally I'd do it this way:

Aid intelligence + 2 dice standard effect, only v animals (you want to have a sensible conversation, don't you?)

PLUS

Language Skill (English)/3 (good useage but with a bit of an accent) UAA.

Universal translator indeed.

This ability is easily done w/ Telepathy vs Animal class of minds, with Incantations. The Voice Range modifier from Fantasy HERO is particularly appropriate here.

Instant Dr. Doolittle Effect: Telepathy 8d6+1 (standard effect: 25 points) (Animal class of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (63 Active Points); Incantations (Voice Range) (-1/4); Real Cost: 50 points

Chatty Dr. Doolittle Effect: Telepathy 8d6+1 (standard effect: 25 points) (Animal class of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (63 Active Points); Extra Time (Long Enough To Carry Out A Conversation, -1 1/4), Incantations (Voice Range) (-1/4); Real Cost: 25 points

Cyclop's 'swiss army' Eye-beam multipower.

(And a suggested power level to fit into a typical game world's 350total/60-75active starting character thresholds.)

I would give him a 10d6 EB with a +1/2 Variable Advantage, which is admittedly closer to 90 points. The player can increase the Variable advantage over time. This is because I like short, simple, to-the-point designs. On the other hand, if you are stuck with a cap, I would build a 75 Point MP with several slots. This allows several 10d6EBs with +1/2 advantages, 12d6 with +1/4 advantages, and a 15d6 EB. Basically, a toned-down version of occulon's MP from Viper.

In the original Doctor Dolittle stories, he was taught how to talk to animals from a parrot, and learned new animal languages by studying the way they communicated.

I'd use Languages; have the GM invent a Language Familiarity Chart for animals; and make my character a Linguist.

I would give him a 10d6 EB with a +1/2 Variable Advantage' date=' which is admittedly closer to 90 points. The player can increase the Variable advantage over time. This is because I like short, simple, to-the-point designs. On the other hand, if you are stuck with a cap, I would build a 75 Point MP with several slots. This allows several 10d6EBs with +1/2 advantages, 12d6 with +1/4 advantages, and a 15d6 EB. Basically, a toned-down version of occulon's MP from Viper.[/quote']

And, if doing a literal Cyclops write up, I'd handle the main Limitation as a Variable Limit- Choice between OAF Ruby Visor or NCC at the -1 level

Cyclop's 'swiss army' Eye-beam multipower.

(And a suggested power level to fit into a typical game world's 350total/60-75active starting character thresholds.)

I've always done Cyclops eye-beams as an EB 16d6 and that's it. Occasionally I'll MP it with an RKA 5d6+1, but for the most part I've never seen Scott do anything that a plain old 16d6 Energy Blast couldn't do.

So a write-up would be something like Eye Beams: EB 16d6 Variable Limitations (Always On & NNC, OAF or Blind; -1/2)

I've always done Cyclops eye-beams as an EB 16d6 and that's it. Occasionally I'll MP it with an RKA 5d6+1' date=' but for the most part I've never seen Scott do anything that a plain old 16d6 Energy Blast couldn't do.[/quote']

I'd be inclined to agree...

He often spreads, or uses Rapid Attack. However, there are a few funky things he does with it, on occassion, like point defense for incoming attacks, right? That'd be missile deflection, I would assume.

I'd be inclined to agree...

He often spreads, or uses Rapid Attack. However, there are a few funky things he does with it, on occassion, like point defense for incoming attacks, right? That'd be missile deflection, I would assume.

Ah, true. So ultimately he'd have the EB, RKA and Missile Deflection.

The wide angle blast seems more like AoE, and is fairly common.

Most other tricks he's pulled off seem more like one-shot uses of a good Power Skill than anything else. The one that comes to mind is the very narrow, focused beam which cut through the Blob's hide.

Cyclopse is totally a multipower with many slots, probably a regular, an indirect for blowing through walls like they weren't there, an extra KB attack to throw people, a TK with only for grab and throw to throw people with KB, no END EB, AoE Cone EB, just let the imagination run wild

Swiss Army Eye-Beams: Multipower 75 point powers

1) Standard Blast: EB 15d6

2) Efficient Blast: EB 12d6 1/2 END

3) Tireless Blast: EB 10d6 0 END

4) Wide Angle Blast I: EB 7d6 AE Line, No Range

5) Wide Angle Blast II: EB 7d6 AE Cone, No Range

6) Point Deflection: Missile Deflection (all ranged attacks)

7) Cutting Blast: RKA 5d6

8) Penetrating Blast: RKA 3d6+1 Armor Piercing

9) Rapid Blast: EB 10d6 AF5

10) Heavy Blast: EB 8d6 x2 KB

11) Just Enough to Light the Way: Images 8" Radius, Only To Create LIght

12) Bounced Blast: EB 8d6 Fully Indirect, Requires Appropriate Surfaces To Bounce From

Swiss Army Eye-Beams: Multipower 75 point powers

1) Standard Blast: EB 15d6

2) Efficient Blast: EB 12d6 1/2 END

3) Tireless Blast: EB 10d6 0 END

4) Wide Angle Blast I: EB 7d6 AE Line, No Range

5) Wide Angle Blast II: EB 7d6 AE Cone, No Range

6) Point Deflection: Missile Deflection (all ranged attacks)

7) Cutting Blast: RKA 5d6

8) Penetrating Blast: RKA 3d6+1 Armor Piercing

9) Rapid Blast: EB 10d6 AF5

10) Heavy Blast: EB 8d6 x2 KB

11) Just Enough to Light the Way: Images 8" Radius, Only To Create LIght

12) Bounced Blast: EB 8d6 Fully Indirect, Requires Appropriate Surfaces To Bounce From

Looks real cool...I've always thought of Cyclops as a big honkin multi...I generally think of him as the prototypical example...

I preferred the original idea: EB in a multi with MD and everything else as applications of rules' date=' tactics and skills.[/quote']

Sean, are you suggesting the MD (Missle Deflection?) not be part of the Multipower and/or not be paid for with points at all?

I asked my original question with point limits in mind since this type of 'all-or-nothing' character seems to be an ideal candidate for stretching the typical 60-75 active point caps since the character has no passive defense or movement powers (Black Canary shares this quality). I would argue that this character type be allowed to go 90+ active points with the understanding that the character will probably never be allowed to 'branch-out' the power set as much as other more generalized character types.

I preferred the original idea: EB in a multi with MD and everything else as applications of rules' date=' tactics and skills.[/quote']

That's my preference as well. KISS, it's not just a firebreathing, blood spitting, guitar smoking rock band anymore.

P.S.: Hyper-man, I think Sean intended for the EB and the Missile Deflection to both be in a Multipower, and that's it.

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to the original topic, how does one deal with "limitless" powers such as Hulk's enraged STR?

There seem to be two main approaches:

• Assume "limitless" just means "very high limit", and buy an appropriate Aid with a large maximum, some extra STR "only when angry", or even just some STR with x10 END and a big amount of END for pushing. Reasonable, simple, and it works. But we don't want to be reasonable; we assume here that the comic book writer wasn't just using the vernacular when he said "limitless"; we assume that we will be attacked by rabid fanboys if we put any limit on Hulk's STR, even if it's in the millions. So...
  • Create an actually infinite loop. For example:

1d6 Aid (+36 to max = 42), STR and this Aid simultaneously (+1/2) (42 Active Points)

After 42 points of Aid, this is now a 2d6 Aid with a max of 84; then it's 3d6 with a max of 126, and so on (no upper limit).

But good luck getting any sober GM to let that one through. ;)

And' date=' if doing a literal Cyclops write up, I'd handle the main Limitation as a Variable Limit- Choice between OAF Ruby Visor or NCC at the -1 level[/quote']

I agree, but would tone it down to -1/2 worth of lims with the following list

Always on

Side effects: Blind

OIF: Visor

IAF: Glasses

Animal Communication? For a 60 AP campaign I would have to go with a...

2d6 EB, NND [defense is not being an animal] (+1), Autofire: 10 Shots (+1), Area Effect: One Hex (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Especially Effective Autofire (+1), 0 END Autofire (+1).

Sorry, it just struck me as very funny how the thread went from Animals to Eye Beams so abruptly. "Animal talkin? No problem, let me just get their attention...ZZZAP!"

I agree, but would tone it down to -1/2 worth of lims with the following list

Always on

Side effects: Blind

OIF: Visor

IAF: Glasses

Not sure you could go with OIF for the Visor; it's been Grabbed in the past (IIRC - certainly it was in the first X-Men movie, but I suppose you could argue it was "out of combat" at the time).

I always got the impression that the visor helped Cyke focus his power, rather than just kept it in check - that is, I thought his beams were more powerful with the visor on than without. But this may just be my idle fancy.

Going back to the original topic, how does one deal with "limitless" powers such as Hulk's enraged STR?

There seem to be two main approaches:

• Assume "limitless" just means "very high limit", and buy an appropriate Aid with a large maximum, some extra STR "only when angry", or even just some STR with x10 END and a big amount of END for pushing. Reasonable, simple, and it works. But we don't want to be reasonable; we assume here that the comic book writer wasn't just using the vernacular when he said "limitless"; we assume that we will be attacked by rabid fanboys if we put any limit on Hulk's STR, even if it's in the millions. So...
  • Create an actually infinite loop. For example:

1d6 Aid (+36 to max = 42), STR and this Aid simultaneously (+1/2) (42 Active Points)

After 42 points of Aid, this is now a 2d6 Aid with a max of 84; then it's 3d6 with a max of 126, and so on (no upper limit).

But good luck getting any sober GM to let that one through. ;)

After seeing this power in 5ER, I felt it may have been added with the Hulk in mind. For actual limitlessness, there is a an optional power listed under Aid called Succor. Like Suppress, it has no maximum limit. A very simple build for unlimited STR would be 1d6 Succor, 0 END, Continuous, Uncontrolled.

Like Suppress, you must define a reasonable circumstance that causes the stat to return to normal. In the case of the Hulk, I think a simple Only While Enraged would be appropriate.

The game-play effect would be, when the character becomes Enraged, he gain 1d6 STR every phase. He STR immediately returns to normal when he is no longer Enraged. For faster STR increases, increase the Succor dice. For slower gains, add an Activation roll.

Going back to the original topic' date=' how does one deal with "limitless" powers such as Hulk's enraged STR?[/quote']

I would probably use +155 STR, No Conscious Control. I don't recall Hulk ever throwing planets around, so this seems pretty reasonable. If he has a 60 base STR (100 tons), then this lets him achieve the strength necessary to lift a 200 gigaton object. This exceeds his 150 gigaton mountain range moment, which I believe is his greatest feat of strength to date. Also, hasn't he shown greater STR in emergencies without being enraged? If not, you could add "Only if Enraged/Berserk" to the power.

The succor build works, but it feels dirty (optional power used in the worst possible way) and it doesn't allow for instant large bursts of STR. Everyone would've been mushed under the mountain immediately while the Hulk waited to get going.