Superhuman women and normal women

Steve

Re: Superhuman women and normal women

Did you see "My Super Ex-Girlfriend"? Her outfits were an interesting mix of costume and clubgear.

I have not seen that - I'm torn by my interest in all things even remotely superheroey, and my desire to avoid punishing my eyes with what looks like a pretty bad movie.

On the other hand, much as with sci-fi/fantasy, I rarely see movies I really like. I think I get really excited about maybe three, four movies a year. Mainstream ones, anyway. There's more to like in the indie/art house stream.

In other words, I'm a harsh judge of pop culture. I would like to say this doesn't make me a snob; it certainly wasn't my intent. But I have a feeling I am.

Then again, how snobbish can someone who likes ABBA and 3rd Rock from the Sun really be?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see "My Super Ex-Girlfriend"? Her outfits were an interesting mix of costume and clubgear.

I liked My Super Ex Girlfriend. Fun movie, and an oddly good example of Steel Age supers (Shiny Iron). Shame that they didn't do more with Eddie Izzard. If they'd marketed it more clearly as a romantic comedy featuring a Super Heroine instead of as a Super Hero movie, it might have done better. OTOH, the crossover audience for the two genres isn't that large.

I liked My Super Ex Girlfriend. Fun movie' date=' and an oddly good example of Steel Age supers (Shiny Iron). Shame that they didn't do more with Eddie Izzard. If they'd marketed it more clearly as a romantic comedy featuring a Super Heroine instead of as a Super Hero movie, it might have done better. OTOH, the crossover audience for the two genres isn't that large.[/quote']I enjoyed it too; and it was a great example of the kind of trouble a DNPC can find himself in. Although it's not as good as some other superhero flicks (I'd really call it a romantic comedy with a superheroine as a major character) it's certainly worth a rental.

At least it didn't leave me wanting to gouge my eyes out like The Hulk. :D

At least it didn't leave me wanting to gouge my eyes out like The Hulk. :D

Word. My wife and I went to see that along with a gaming buddy. Terrible film. Tedious (the one unforgivable sin), Iron where it should have been Silver, Silver where it should have been Bronze, and a pointless power re-write.

Word. My wife and I went to see that along with a gaming buddy. Terrible film. Tedious (the one unforgivable sin)' date=' Iron where it should have been Silver, Silver where it should have been Bronze, and a pointless power re-write.[/quote']

"Tedious" - man, that's the exact word for that movie. I'd been flailing about trying to sum up my experience since I saw it, and never quite nailed it.

"The Hulk" remains one of the four movies in my lifetime that I've walked out of, in this case about forty five minutes into it. And that's exactly what it was... tedious. It never felt natural, or good. It was forced. No one seemed comfortable with what they were doing.

I think this is the natural consequence of letting someone who doesn't read comics make a superhero movie. Filmmakers and writers alike seem to generally understand the necessity of absorbing the tropes and themes and "feel" of a genre... why do they think that comic books are so simple they can just plunge right in? Contrast with Raimi's work on Spider Man... that's a guy who knows every nuance of the genre.

I have not seen that - I'm torn by my interest in all things even remotely superheroey' date=' and my desire to avoid punishing my eyes with what looks like a pretty bad movie.[/quote']:rofl:Repped!

*Puts on the full-body fire-fighting gear*

I actually liked The Hulk. Sure, it's not the best example of the genre to come out over the last 10 years, but all in all I found it to be watchable. Daredevil, now there's a tedious movie. It drags on forever, and just as it starts to actually get interesting, it races to the finish. The only reason why I own the DVD is that it only added $5 to the cost of the pizzas. And as for the Punisher, by the gods, the only good things about it were Travolta's performance and the fact that it didn't suck as badly as the Dolf Lundgren bomb.

The only reason why I own the DVD is that it only added $5 to the cost of the pizzas.

Awesome!!

Now, see, it's my turn to prepare to be flamed, because while I didn't like Hulk (or Daredevil, or ohmygodmakeitstop Elektra), I kind of enjoyed the Dolph Lundgren Punisher. Not enough to watch it ever again, mind you, but it clearly didn't take itself seriously. And, given the script, that's a virtue. Of course, "kind of enjoyed" in this context does NOT mean I'd call it "good" in any sense of the word. Just that I didn't COMPLETELY resent the experience.

I didn't see the new one. I have deep and serious fears about it. It's sad, really - Spider Man did well, and we suddenly see an explosion of Marvel licenses coming to the screen. Let's recap:

Hulk - blew, by general consensus (allowing for a few oddballs out there :winkgrin:)

FF - ohmygodmakeitstop

Daredevil - yawn

Elektra - OHMYGODMAKEITSTOPSERIOUSLYITBURNSITBURNSPUTITOUT

Punisher (new one) - *twitch* Ow

Ghost Rider - (blank stare) You've GOT to be kidding me

What the hell?

Spider Man worked because Sam Raimi loved the character AND the genre and had a real story to tell. Can no one else figure this out? Or are they just that crass?

:rofl:Repped!

*Puts on the full-body fire-fighting gear*

I actually liked The Hulk. Sure, it's not the best example of the genre to come out over the last 10 years, but all in all I found it to be watchable. Daredevil, now there's a tedious movie. It drags on forever, and just as it starts to actually get interesting, it races to the finish. The only reason why I own the DVD is that it only added $5 to the cost of the pizzas. And as for the Punisher, by the gods, the only good things about it were Travolta's performance and the fact that it didn't suck as badly as the Dolf Lundgren bomb.

I think you have your boredom sensor turned 180 degrees there, but oh well, to each his own.

TB

Ghost Rider - (blank stare) You've GOT to be kidding me

Actually - I really like the Ghost Rider movie.

It felt very much like reading a comic. Here's a character they could have sent into a Wolverine-Style bloodbath just by virtue of the guy being an agent of hell. And they didn't. The only characters causing a body count were the (amazingly badly acted) Son Of Lucifer and his goons.

And it had some funny moments as well as serious ones.

Of course my expectations going into the movie were "Seen stuff get blowed up real good." So when you start that low it's hard to be disappointed.

As for Hulk... ok it sucked. But the Flubber-Hulk scene was so damn funny it was worth the rental money. Both times.

Actually - I really like the Ghost Rider movie.

(snip)

And it had some funny moments as well as serious ones.

To bring the thread somewhat back to it's original topic, there was one thing I couldn't help but notice watching Ghost Rider. Every time Eva Mendes was on the screen, the focus point of the camera was directly between her breasts, which were invariably on display with her half-buttoned shirts. Mind you, this is not a complaint. Quite the contrary, Mendes' beauty was one of the highlights of the movie. :thumbup: However, such things do beautifully demonstrate (entendre intended) the "sex sells" mentality.

Blackjack

To bring the thread somewhat back to it's original topic' date=' there was one thing I couldn't help but notice watching [u']Ghost Rider[/u]. Every time Eva Mendes was on the screen, the focus point of the camera was directly between her breasts, which were invariably on display with her half-buttoned shirts. Mind you, this is not a complaint. Quite the contrary, Mendes' beauty was one of the highlights of the movie. :thumbup: However, such things do beautifully demonstrate (entendre intended) the "sex sells" mentality.

Blackjack

Having never seen Eva Mendes prior to viewing Ghost Rider, I naturally Googled the film when I got home to find out who that gorgeous woman was. Pretty much all her own publicity stills also emphasize her cleavage and breasts. So it wasn't just the film's director; Ms. Mendes herself seems to be perfectly aware of what her "selling points" are.

Now, in relation to this thread's original topic, would "normal" women really see the need to emulate superhero women when there are non-powered women who look like this:

59134Eva_Mendes059.jpg

:sneaky:

Now' date=' in relation to this thread's original topic, would "normal" women really see the need to emulate superhero women when there are [i']non-powered[/i] women who look like this:

Even Eva Mendes doesn't look like that! That photo's been airbrushed and photoshopped within an inch of its life.

Back ontopic, I brought up "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" because of the non-spandex costume style. Even if you didn't see the movie, check the poster for the film. That's clubgear with a logo belt buckle. Then there's this outfit, and later, this one. Every time her outfit was trashed, the next outfit you saw was slightly different, and all of it looked like the pieces could conceivably have been bought off the rack.

I thought it was an interesting take on superhero costuming in a world without the ever-so-convenient "unstable molecules".

I did think the costume idea was pretty cute. On the other hand, I actually think tights have many points in their favor as costumes go, as previously noted, even in a realistic game.

You know, the thing is, I really wanted that movie to work, 'cause I love Uma and Luke both.

You know, weirdly enough, one of the best movies along these lines has been the animated film, "The Incredibles." Although Ms. Incredible wears the spandexey thing, you can see she's filled out in the hips between her early, pre-marriage years and her "comeback" in the movie. Is it sad when a cartoon is the most realistic looking female hero we've seen in a while? (Not to mention a strong and level headed yet still maternal figure?)

I used to collect Power Pack, way back in the day when it was a good comic, and June Brigman's extremely genuine drawings of kids made that book a treasure. Seriously, I know PP's a joke these days, but the first twenty issues or so were quite good for young teens. Recently, I found myself turning to Runaways for some of the same reasons - a comic about teenage kids was the only place I could go to get superheroes who looked kind of like real people!

And of course they cancelled Alias. Jerks. :P

You know, the thing is, I really wanted that movie to work, 'cause I love Uma and Luke both.

I thought it did as was what it was. A Romantic Comedy about a Super Hero. I agree that they could have done more with Izzard.

Even Eva Mendes doesn't look like that! That photo's been airbrushed and photoshopped within an inch of its life.

One account I've heard of what Super-Human Attractiveness is, is that a Super-Appearance character looks like those photos with no makeup, no retouching. When they've just woken up. It's one I like.

Now' date=' in relation to this thread's original topic, would "normal" women really see the need to emulate superhero women when there are [i']non-powered[/i] women who look like this:

:sneaky:

Well, so much for this thread... :rolleyes:

One account I've heard of what Super-Human Attractiveness is' date=' is that a Super-Appearance character looks like those photos with no makeup, no retouching. When they've just woken up. It's one I like.[/quote']

And the top end of the COM scale will look amazingly good even after waking up with a hangover or sick with a miserable cold.

Daredevil' date=' now there's a tedious movie. It drags on forever, and just as it starts to actually get interesting, it races to the finish. The only reason why I own the DVD is that it only added $5 to the cost of the pizzas.[/quote']

As astonishing as it might seem the Director's Cut is actually quite good - it's pretty much a different movie. Not Spiderman by any stretch, but much more watchable.

As astonishing as it might seem the Director's Cut is actually quite good - it's pretty much a different movie. Not Spiderman by any stretch' date=' but much more watchable.[/quote']

Sadly, once you suffer through a pile of trash, a "directors cut" comes real low on the priority list...:)

As astonishing as it might seem the Director's Cut is actually quite good - it's pretty much a different movie. Not Spiderman by any stretch' date=' but much more watchable.[/quote']I have heard as such, but it appears that this directors cut may as well be a myth, as I cannot find it anywhere that I care to look (i.e. places that don't chage as much for a single DVD as most places charge for a season box set.)

I have heard as such' date=' but it appears that this directors cut may as well be a myth, as I cannot find it anywhere that I care to look (i.e. places that don't chage as much for a single DVD as most places charge for a season box set.)[/quote']

Here it is for about $10.

My Location: Perth, Australia

Back on Topic: Springald Jack, I like that definition.

Oh, I saw your location. I just offered them as a suggestion since they ship internationally by "USPS Destination Post Office," which means that the USPS picks up from their warehouse and distributes packages throughout the world to the Post Office in your country for delivery to you.