Need Book Recommendations

Vondy

I am going to be tutoring an teenage anglo boy to prepare him for the bagrut exam for English (essentially a matriculation exam). He's bright, but due to family problems (he's living with foster parents), and having been moved here with no language skills he's not in school and two years behind. I'm not a professional teacher, and I'm not getting paid, but the kid has got to have some help. The entire situation is screwed up. The issue is, I need something that will interest him as a starting point - from there we can take a left handed step to other kinds of books. He's very into science fiction and loves Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game series. I'm not huge on science fiction, but I understand it. Can someone suggest similar books, or other books and authors that a Card fan might enjoy?

Re: Need Book Recommendations

I'd suggest David Brin's Uplift series. Engaging plots (not too simple, but not twisted and difficult to follow). The english is polished but simple (similar in level to Card's books) and the plots tend to hum along at a fair speed. The content is teen-acceptable: no gratuitous naughty bits or gross violence.

A bonus is that each book is part of a series but can be read as a stand-alone if you can't get your mitts on the whole lot at once. Like the Ender's Games series, they have a serious theme at core (genocide vs self defence, creating life vs responsibility for same) but it's a theme touched only lightly in the books themselves. Also like the Ender's Game series, war/conflict features prominently but not of the blow-by-blow fighting style (they're no Hammer's Slammers :D).

And there's 6 of them, so if it works, it should get you off the hook for a couple of weeks at least. :D Good luck!

cheers, Mark

Most of robert Heinleins works are great for teen readers. For a more cerebral read anything by Isaac Asimov or E.E. "Doc" Smith. For things with a more military type storyline, the novels by John Ringo are good SF.

Most of robert Heinleins works are great for teen readers. For a more cerebral read anything by Isaac Asimov or E.E. "Doc" Smith. For things with a more military type storyline' date=' the novels by John Ringo are good SF.[/quote']

Doc Smith is good, but he does have a tendency towards purple prose and large obscure adjectives. Could be confusing for somebody with developing English skills.

With Heinlein, I'd suggest his juvenile novels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinlein_juveniles

I'd suggest David Brin's Uplift series.

Outstanding series. Great suggestion

With Heinlein, I'd suggest his juvenile novels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinlein_juveniles

Very good catch. I am a Heilein fan and grew up reading his books, but his style changed in the later years. His juveniles are great reading.

Also if you can find them try Lester Del Ray's and Andre Norton's early scifi, they fit as well.

Thank you for your suggestions. All are appreciated. He is an Anglo (in specific: American), but he's behind his grade level in academics because of his (screwed up) situation. I'll look into each of these and decide how to proceed. Again, thanks.

Most of robert Heinleins works are great for teen readers. For a more cerebral read anything by Isaac Asimov or E.E. "Doc" Smith. For things with a more military type storyline' date=' the novels by John Ringo are good SF.[/quote']

Let me second Heinlein, especally the Juveniles (plots run on rails and vocabulary is basic without being condesending), and add Lois McMaster Bujold.

Let me jump on the Hienlien juveniles bandwagon. In particular, I have fond memories of The Rolling Stones, Red Planet, and The Star Beast.

I'd also reccomend Islands in the Sky by Arthur C. Clarke. It's not exactly what you'd requested. But it's an excellent look at possibly real space travel and life from the viewpoint of a young man who'd never been into space before.

Andre Norton has some excellent fiction, though often times it can be a bit dark in the trials the protagonists go through, though uplifting in that they win through in the end. With that in mind, of her stuff, let me reccomend the following:

The Last Planet (or The Star Rangers as it is sometimes titled)

The Zero Stone and the sequel Uncharted Stars

Catseye

The Time Traders

Check out used bookstores for older SciFi - the plots tend to be more linear and there's often less objectionable material. Also less abstract, on average. Also lots of positive role models, relatively speaking - less feet of clay.

I always thought Poul Anderson was good for the Younguns (when I was a Youngun, at least), and Michael McCollum (I went completely nuts over the Antares series when I was a lad).

If he's a fan of a particular TV series, there are often books about non-series events in those universes - some are crap, but some of the authors are quite good and include some famous names. They tend to follow the standards of the show, for obvious reasons, and are generally in the "cheapie" section of the bookstore.

I always thought Poul Anderson was good for the Younguns (when I was a Youngun, at least), and Michael McCollum (I went completely nuts over the Antares series when I was a lad).

Poul Anderson - good call!

What were some of the titles of Micheal McCollum's series?

The Baen "complete [author] line recently republished James Schmitz, making _Witches of Karres_ readily available. (Also, _Endless Frontiers_, which may have some resonance in Israel right now.) A faster read than Norton, Schmitz does far better with the old sense of wonder thing than Heinlein, who, at the end of the day, is a man whom I regret giving my time.

[insert _Starship Troopers_ argument here.]

[insert _Starship Troopers_ argument here.]

Just high concept: Heinlein = Good! Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, all very good, all won Hugos, all changed my life.

Tastes depend on the student, but you might be able to get him involved in some fantasy stuff as well. Typically things that I think of as brain-candy (i.e. an easy read that is not a deep plot) include

Ramond Feist's Riftwar Saga (starts with Magician: Apprentice)

Eve Forward's _Villains_By_Necessity_

Terry Prachett, just about anything... The irreverence should capture any kid.

Alfred Bester has a couple of classic sci-fi works, _The_Stars_My_Destination_ and _The_Demolished_Man_

Neil Gaimon has some appropriate for that level like _Stardust_ and then _American_Gods_, _Anansi_Boys_ and _Neverwhere_ although those may be a bit mature

More mature in nature (subject matter mainly)

John Steakly _Vampire$_ and _Armor_

And of course all the earlier suggestions merit consideration of course... I just didn't feel the need to repeat them.

You know one I forgot Edgar Rice Burroughs "John Carter" series... Almost as good as Heinlein.

Some other great Heinlein books...

Space Cadet

Tunnel in the Sky

Have Space Suit Will Travel

Between Planets

The Day After Tomorrow

Rocket Ship Galileo

Revolt in 2100

Also Larry Niven and Poul Anderson collaborated on a great series (if you can find them) the Dream Park novels.

Tastes depend on the student, but you might be able to get him involved in some fantasy stuff as well. Typically things that I think of as brain-candy (i.e. an easy read that is not a deep plot) include

Ramond Feist's Riftwar Saga (starts with Magician: Apprentice)

Eve Forward's _Villains_By_Necessity_

Terry Prachett, just about anything... The irreverence should capture any kid.

Alfred Bester has a couple of classic sci-fi works, _The_Stars_My_Destination_ and _The_Demolished_Man_

Neil Gaimon has some appropriate for that level like _Stardust_ and then _American_Gods_, _Anansi_Boys_ and _Neverwhere_ although those may be a bit mature

More mature in nature (subject matter mainly)

John Steakly _Vampire$_ and _Armor_

And of course all the earlier suggestions merit consideration of course... I just didn't feel the need to repeat them.

I'd be careful with Prachett myself. He uses a humor type that is pure love/hate. I had a teacher that thought they were great books and kept requiring them to be read. It almost made me a non-reader. Even today you can't really find anyone that is in the middle. There are a few other authors are like that but they tend to write more mature books. Mind you I'm not saying Prachett is bad, as the very large fan base will remind you just how many people do like them.

Staekly's may be a bit mature for a younger child.

By the way, what age are we talking?

Vorkosigan by Lois McMaster Bujold

Honor Harrington by David Mark Weber

Nothing more

QM

I love both series but they are plot intensive and could be hard to follow, especially the politics.

The first HH book is pretty linear, but after that thing get complicated. The Vor series is just complicated.

I quadruple-third Heinlein, got started on "Stranger in a Strange Land" when I was in middle school, been hooked ever since. "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" is a personal favorite of mine from his juvenile line, though I'll admit to not having read much more than his Future Histories, Starship Troopers, and just about every one of his more adult books. "the Moon is a Harsh Mistress" might work though.

Bester's "The Stars My Destination" (isn't it called "Tiger! Tiger!" or something in Europe?) is fantastic, though pretty far out there. "Armor" by John Steakly (I think we're referring to the same book, so I'm stealing the author's name from above) is fantastic, though for some might be a bit of a struggle to get through at times.

If we're going for a more juvenile slant, also there's the entire "Robotech" series, which adapted the tv series. I know, tv adaptation, but even while kind of butchering the source, with material that fantastic, it's hard to go too wrong.

About to read "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, but can't say how good that's going to be. Not sure if I should read that or Vernor Vinge's "A Deepness in the Sky" next (just finished "A Fire in the Deep", so I'll probably go with the latter). I'd highly recommend Venge, but can be pretty deep and complex, not to mention long. Anyone read either and have any opinions?

Bester's "The Stars My Destination" (isn't it called "Tiger! Tiger!" or something in Europe?) is fantastic, though pretty far out there.

I seem to recall "Tiger! Tiger!" being the original release, with "The Stars My Destination" being the revised work.