In need of help

RPMiller

My son has asked me to start teaching him Champions so I am in need of your collective help. I was wondering if any of you have an adventure that you would be willing to share with me. Something small and easy. I recall the old bank robbery introductory adventure from way back. That would be perfect for a first game and a big help; something similar would work as well.

Any suggestions?

Re: In need of help

The new Champions Battlegrounds has a bank robbery section. Along with a couple of other senerios. You might also consider a simple VIPER plot.

Viper is looking for (insert unusual object here), They are terroizing several (insert location here), to find this item. Your son's char just so happens to be at the right place at the right time....

Viper is great for a first adventure. They can be scaled down at first to be easily defeated, and then slowly build to a more difficult, (and satisfying) for the final conflict.

Keep us informed on how it turns out.

Quozaxx

Champions Battlegrounds! Of course! I even have that book. I was specifically looking for something with a map so this will work. I'll scan it into the computer and go from there. The reason for this is that he has asked if we can use MapTool to play with as he likes the strategy element of using maps. That is why I was thinking of the bank robbery scenario.

Ok, I skimmed through CB last night, and I'm sorry to say that it probably won't work for my needs. On the good news front my daughter said that she wants to play as well so now I have two heroes that can team up. The problem with the CB scenarios is that they are "too big" for a one or two heroes to handle. I could downplay the scenarios or up the points for the heroes, but these are brand new Champions players were are talking about that are only 12 and 13, and haven't been avid comic fans their whole lives so I need a simple scenario which takes me back to the bank robbery idea.

It looks like I'll have to come up with something myself so now I need to figure out what to back burner, how to make a scenario that won't overwhelm them, and that I can grow a campaign out of not to mention create the maps. Wish me luck, and I'm still open to ideas, links, and suggestions just keep the players in mind.

If you have a map, then I'd think you're golden for a genuinely introductory adventure. Two low-powered supers as PCs plus half a dozen vanilla zero-point norms with handguns doing a bank stickup ... for Children's First Adventure, it'll work, especially considering what their attention span is likely to be.

I did exactly this sort of thing last summer with 10-11 year olds: family friend's kids were visiting, learned that I GM'ed HERO system (including Champions), and I had about 6 hours to whip up a sample fight for them so they could get the feel.

I'm not too worried about the time issue. Both of my kids have gamed before and enjoyed it. I've run them on a couple D&D adventures that lasted a couple hours each, and they have play-tested a couple games with other adults. I think I'm just being overly sensitive as I want to make sure their first experience with the Hero system goes off easy and is fun.

I'll have to see if I can find a bank and street map that I can use. I just don't want to set off any internet alarms when I start Googling "bank floorplans". LOL

I'll second SCUBA Hero's suggestion.

Villainy Amok has the classic dirt simple Bank Robbery in it. As well as some other very strait forward scenarios, like "Save the people from the burning building!" scenario.

And a quick plot generator in the back. Perfect for some starter scenarios for newer players.

Here's a simplified character sheet I came up with for my boy when he started playing with us (when he was 8). This is Red X, Robin's "evil" alter ego from the Teen Titan cartoon. First I have the regular HERO System write up, then the sheet I gave him.

I explained that he could use one belt gadget at a time (his multipower), and that there was a DCV chart to tell him if he'd hit his opponent. Since his suit was normally in "Combat Mode," I figured in his OCV and DCV levels, and also modified the martial maneuvers so that they were all +0/+0 modifiers, so he didn't have to change numbers in the middle of combat.

I remember in one of the older editions, 4th I beleive, there was a 'transcript' of a roleplaying session featuring two players and a gm. They foiled Ogre and three goons from robbing a bank. Why not get their feet really wet and use a villain and a few goons. Ankylosaur or Ogre would be very appropriate I believe. If you have to power them down.

Map-wise, I recall that there are some threads, old ones mind you, but threads on this board that have custom maps for anyone who wants them. As for an adventure, a bank robbery with perhaps a supervillain especially made to be defeated by your son. This could be the beginning of an archenemy in the making for his superhero character. As for the thugs, they don't take any Body damage from any attack for this game; don't need any guilt thrown in for hurting the thugs.

Coming out on top at the end of the adventure is the most important thing and brings a thrill that says 'I am a hero and people will look up to my character'.

I remember in one of the older editions' date=' 4th I beleive, there was a 'transcript' of a roleplaying session featuring two players and a gm. They foiled Ogre and three goons from robbing a bank. Why not get their feet really wet and use a villain and a few goons. Ankylosaur or Ogre would be very appropriate I believe. If you have to power them down.[/quote']

I believe that may be the one I was thinking of. Didn't it include a map of the bank as well? I could have sworn there was a short bank encounter in one of the books. Maybe it is just the 'transcript' that I have been thinking of this whole time.

Map-wise, I recall that there are some threads, old ones mind you, but threads on this board that have custom maps for anyone who wants them. As for an adventure, a bank robbery with perhaps a supervillain especially made to be defeated by your son. This could be the beginning of an archenemy in the making for his superhero character. As for the thugs, they don't take any Body damage from any attack for this game; don't need any guilt thrown in for hurting the thugs.

Coming out on top at the end of the adventure is the most important thing and brings a thrill that says 'I am a hero and people will look up to my character'.

Absolutely on all accounts. However, I've already taught both my kids about the importance of not just killing every "monster" they come across. I had an encounter in one of the early D&D sessions where they encountered a bear and when it got aggressive, my son playing the half-orc barbarian raced in and almost killed it. Then they discovered the small cub that the momma bear was simply trying to protect. My daughter playing the elven druid then stepped in and healed the momma bear and set things to right. I got across the moral of the story and explained how roleplaying is not the same as console games and that things are not always entirely black and white.

Regardless, I always strive as a GM to make sure that at the end of the day the players feel like they have made a difference and been the heroes that they wanted to be.

Oh, I just remembered regarding the guilt thing, does anyone remember the old Adventurer's Club with the villains that all had the 'Gold' theme? They were powerful in just one thing, but were fairly normal otherwise? The whole idea was to use them to knock the players down a peg or two if they were becoming careless with throwing around their powers. Did anyone ever one that besides me?

I believe that may be the one I was thinking of. Didn't it include a map of the bank as well? I could have sworn there was a short bank encounter in one of the books. Maybe it is just the 'transcript' that I have been thinking of this whole time.

No there was no map as I recall, only the transcript, but that 'scenario' could easily be adapted to any bank map.

Hey RPMiller, you do realize that your episode for your son this weekend will be analyzed and cross-analyzed by the thousands of herogamers on this board for every nuance of efficiency, playability, fun and usability for new gamers for generations to come?! :rolleyes: