Fractionary SPD chart

Zaratustra

Here is something I've done in a moment of boredom: How to use fractionary SPDs correctly in the time table?

http://zara.verge-rpg.com/spdchart.txt

The asterisks mark the phases. Notice that for 0.1 increases in SPD, you need ten times as many segments for the chart to wrap.

This method has the advantages of eliminating the round-down chink in SPD calculation, as well as making odd values of DEX more useful. Unfortunately, it has the disadvantage of being total bonkers. Comments are welcome.

Re: Fractionary SPD chart

Originally posted by Zaratustra

Here is something I've done in a moment of boredom: How to use fractionary SPDs correctly in the time table?

http://zara.verge-rpg.com/spdchart.txt

The asterisks mark the phases. Notice that for 0.1 increases in SPD, you need ten times as many segments for the chart to wrap.

This method has the advantages of eliminating the round-down chink in SPD calculation, as well as making odd values of DEX more useful. Unfortunately, it has the disadvantage of being total bonkers. Comments are welcome.

What a scary mess. Total bonkers is right. I would say that the round-down of SPD is a feature, not a bug. The odd values of DEX are already sufficiently useful for their effect on the initiative sequence.

Ahh, you may think I'm insane. But I made that with a program! 20 lines of code or so, based on the algorithm:

- Start with a variable = 12, segment 12 of turn 0:

- Add SPD to the variable every segment.

- Whenever the variable is over 12, the character may take a phase. subtract 12 from the variable.

It looks better in code, anyway. Now to work on SPD 3 1/3 and SPD pi.

Originally posted by GradonSilverton

Just started reading this thread... and I'm not even going to look at the link.... hearing everyone say what they have i'm afraid of instant brain implosion!

Lucky you, I immediatly hit the link and cried out in terror.

Lesson: Read at least a couple of posts before hitting the link.

John Spencer

:D I dunno... It resembles something I did for a game, but rather larger... Couldn't you just accumulate the fractional speed points at the end of each turn, and then treat the character as having +1 Speed for one turn each time 10 fractional points or more have accumulated...? And reduce the accumulated fractional points by 10 when you do...?

Originally posted by Foxiekins

:D I dunno... It resembles something I did for a game, but rather larger... Couldn't you just accumulate the fractional speed points at the end of each turn, and then treat the character as having +1 Speed for one turn each time 10 fractional points or more have accumulated...? And reduce the accumulated fractional points by 10 when you do...?

Yeah... Cause there's not nearly enough math in Hero already..;)

Originally posted by Foxiekins

If one hasn't had their spd stat adjusted, you could precalculate which turns you get a bonus spd. At .5 you get an extra spd every other turn, at .2 you get a bonus spd every 5 turns.

Or to make it more random, you could determine an activation roll for however many fractions of a spd point you have. 2d6-1 less than or equal to your tenths of a spd point, then you get a bonus spd.

The fractional spd chart is visually interesting, but i wouldn't use it in a game.

• 8 months later...

Ahh, you may think I'm insane. But I made that with a program! 20 lines of code or so, based on the algorithm:

- Whenever the variable is over 12, the character may take a phase. subtract 12 from the variable.

That same Algorithm works for Star Fleet Battles also.

:D

I think this is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

Originally posted by zornwil

The problem of course comes in when drains and such enter the picture, so I wouldn't go to this, but it is cool.

If you just have the program add the speed in and then recalculate for that character, that could work well. Just have to have a decent interface... Could do a quick job with Perl Tk.

I did like the chart printout, it made a nice pattern....

Re: Fractionary SPD chart

Way cool. One of my players has been pestering me to buy a SPD drain, a power I really don't want in my game. If this doesn't scare him, he pretty much deserves that power. ;)

Re: Re: Fractionary SPD chart

Originally posted by D-Man

It must have been a very long, very bored moment.

ROFL!!!

Yes indeed, boredom is DANGEROUS!!! I'd like to be able to say I've never seen anything so pointless. Sadly, I can't. An old friend of mine once complained about having a dice bag full of d12's he never used. And, yes, we were very bored. The result was a set of rpg rules entirely in base 12. We actually playtested this monstrosity, and it worked.

My compliments to Zaratustra on a totally pointless but nevertheless job well done! Let us know how it goes in playtesting. :D

DGv3.0