Seven Stranded Castaways

McCoy

There was an episode of Gilligan's Island where some of the castaways got (tempoary) super-powers from irraidated vegetables. Gilligan got super strength, Lovey super speed, and Mary Ann enhanced senses.

Let's forget the vegetables. If, on an alternate Earth, the unnamed island had been in the fallout footprint of nuclear bomb testing, and the seven had Marvelesque radiation accidents, what powers would each get?

Marvel Style

Marvelesque?

Well, then the Proffessor would either develop a green brutish alter ego with tremendos Strength, or stretching powers

Ginger would either get flame powers or Telekinsis. She's a redhead after all.

Lovey would either go invisible or shrink and get wasp stings.

Skipper is a Captain, naturally he'd become a perfect physical specimen and start thowring around his hat with incredible accuracy

Gilligan would be okay until he got bitten by an irradiated animal of some sort, and gained its powers.

Thurston will miss out on getting irradiated, and simply have to pay the Prof to make him a high tech powered armor out of coconuts

Mary anne would become the most powerful, but would turn evil and sexy. The nice girls always do.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Does anyone remember the all the powers everyone got in that episode? I've actually been thinking about that one for a couple of weeks now (on and off), but Gilligan ("How did you pick up that log?" "With one hand.") and Maryann are the only ones I could come up with on my own.

I believe Gilligan, Mary Ann and Mrs. Howell were the only ones that got powers. Think the episode is coming up soon in the cycle on TV Land, I'll watch carefully.

Originally posted by Mightybec

I saw a documentary that stated that each of the castaways were based on one of the seven deadly sins. Maybe thier powers are based around those sins.

Mightybec

Writers say that wasn't intentional, but it does seem to fit.

Gilligan: Gluttony

Skipper Jonas Grumby: Wrath

Thurston Howell III: Greed

Lovey Wentworth Howell: Sloth

Ginger Grant: Lust

Professor Roy Hinkley: Pride

Mary Ann Summers: Envy

Originally posted by McCoy

Skipper Jonas G[r]umby

The Skipper's skin turns green and has the texture of clay, enabling him to either develop Superstrength or Stretching powers (or both)

Professor Roy Hinkley

is given a supersuit by aliens but Giligan (who is experiencing a case of the runs) uses the manual for toilet paper before the Professor learns how to fly.

Ooooo, I know what power Gilligan would develop upon being

subjected to a Marvelesque "radiation accident":

20d6 Unluck, usable against others, only to turn the current

escape attempt into an absolute disaster.

Before anyone says anything, I know that the argument could

be made that Gilligan has that ability already. All the accident

would do, really, is amplify that innate ability to ungodly levels.

Space Cadet :D

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Willie.

We have a winner! Pilot script gave the character's name as Willie Gilligan, no indication if Willie was the given name or a nickname for William. Either way, name just doesn't fit the character.

And now for something different.

I would take a different bent on the powers of the Gilligan Island group.

The Professor is already smart but if you remember the time a witch doctor made him into a Zombie. Well that touch of the Super Natural fueled his unquenchable thirst for knowledge and the Super Mage Dr. H is born.

Bitten by a radioactive Vampire Bat transformed the tame demure Lovey Howell into the Blood Thirsty Seductive creature of the night Lovey “The Vamp†Howell.

When the headhunters captured Ginger Grant and married her to their Volcano God. They got more then they bargained for. Ginger was granted power unto a god herself, and she didn’t like being thrown into a Volcano. The headhunters soon learned that this Goddess was a vengeful one.

Mistakenly drinking radioactive goo Gilligan found himself with the ability to Glow in the dark. In a hurry to tell the professor he slips and hits his jaw on a rock and finds that he can pick-up Radio Signals. He rested by a funny bush with strange sunflower seeds, eating them he gains the ability to read minds. Now as the human lie detector he hunts the night becoming a shinning beacon for Truth, Justice and the American way.

After having his mind switched with that of a dog and back again. Jonas Grumby soon learned of an unusual side effect that this had. Now whenever he wishes “The Skipper†can send his mind into any animal near him.

Falling into radioactive quicksand Thurston Howell III thought he was as good as dead. In his panicked state the tried to struggle out only to sink faster. As he was buried the quicksand enters every pour of his body and transforms him into the living embodiment of “Quicksand.â€

Now the hardest one to come up with something for.

Mary Ann Summers, the forgotten one, the last one in the song, not even mentioned the first year. No title, no rank, not a movie star or the wife of a millionaire. Mary Ann Summers. Did you ever wonder why they were on the island? Where did that freak storm come from? Sure they say that the weatherman read the wrong weather report, but is that what really happened? Why was every attempt to escape foiled? Was it just bad luck or was it something more sinister? And who would ever believe the Little O’ Mary Ann Summers was behind the entire thing. Using her powers of Probability Manipulation to keep them stranded on an uncharted island so she could test them and herself. For one day, when she decided, she would return to the world with full control of her powers and take vengeance on those who long ago forgot that she was even alive.

For the record, Gilligan gained super-strength (from the spinach), Mary Ann gained telescopic vision (from the carrots), and Mrs. Howell gained super-speed from the sugar beets.

Now the real stumper for you Gilliganophiles: What is Ms. Howell's maiden name (Which was presented on the show) and even harder, what was her first name (You didn't think it was Lovey, did you?). Much like Willy Gilligan, this was never presented on the show, but good ole Mr. Schwartz had one in mind.

I've already mentioned Mrs. Howell's maiden name in this thread. As far as her given name, I maintain it was Lovey. The radio broadcast in the first and second episode mentioned millionaire Thurston Howell III and his socialite wife, Lovey. When Zsa Zsa Gabor was on the island, she called her Lovey. The pilot script gave Lovey as a nickname and a different given name, but I think that, like Mary Ann's name, that was changed between the script and the filming.