Help with a "Susceptibility"

Haven Walkur

How would you write up a PC's "susceptibility" to flattery (about her physical appearance)?

This is a real Disadvantage, because being complimented on her physical beauty makes the PC like the flattering character, and her reactions and modifiers get adjusted accordingly.

It's not a true "Susceptibility" Disad because it does no damage, but flattery does 1) cause irrational actions on the part of this PC, and 2) make interaction Skills like Conversation and Seduction much more effective against this PC.

I don't want to take this as a Psychological Limitation because I already have too many points in Psych. Lims (and so does my PC). ;-)

Re: Help with a "Susceptibility"

How would you write up a PC's "susceptibility" to flattery (about her physical appearance)?

This is a real Disadvantage, because being complimented on her physical beauty makes the PC like the flattering character, and her reactions and modifiers get adjusted accordingly.

It's not a true "Susceptibility" Disad because it does no damage, but flattery does 1) cause irrational actions on the part of this PC, and 2) make interaction Skills like Conversation and Seduction much more effective against this PC.

I don't want to take this as a Psychological Limitation because I already have too many points in Psych. Lims (and so does my PC). ;-)

Are you point scrounging? Because if you aren't you can just roleplay it.

Can't negative skill levels be treated as a disadvantage, when applied to yourself?

Easily Flattered: -3 to resist any Social Roll (-5/level), only those that compliment her physical appearance(-1/2): -15 active, -10 real.

Alternately, it can be treated as a negative EGO value, with the limitation "only when flattered". That'll modify the skill roll.

Easily Flattered II: -15 to Ego (-30 points), only to resist flattery (-1 1/2), total cost -12.

Vulnerability: Friendly PRE Attacks and Interaction Skills, 1.5 times Effect - One thing needed to make this worth points; the player must agree to react to Interaction skills in the same way as an NPC, with the result determined by a contest of (Interaction Skill + Modifiers) vs (EGO + Modifiers). If the player agrees, it is a real disad.

Example: Magnus Drake, master villain, decides to charm our heroine into thinking he's not such a bad guy, even if he does occasionally hold the city hostage. He has a Seduction skill of 14-. Our Heroine has an EGO of 14, with an EGO Roll of 12-.

Magnus rolls a 10, succeeding by 4. The GM decides that his skill takes no special modifiers at this time one way or another (he's never shown his bad side directly to Our Heroine). He has succeeded by 4; after her 1.5 times vulnerability, it's treated as succeeding by 6.

Our Heroine rolls a 9 on her EGO roll, succeeding by 3. Compared to his Success by 6, Magnus has beaten her roll by 3. The GM tells the player "Your character finds Magnus charming, sincere, and very funny. She feels he really likes her." The player agrees to play the character that way so long as it's at all possible to find an excuse for Magnus' villainous behavior.

Thank-you all for your help. This thread has given me some very interesting approaches to the "flattery problem", and I appreciate it!

I managed to give Rep to most of you before running out for the next 24 hours...but tomorrow is another day, and the Rep awards will continue then. :)

Serpentissimus, Hermit: My apologies, but apparently I have to "spread it around" before I can give you more love.

I'm here to help :D

Honestly, it needs to be a vulnerability to skills, like conversation, seduction, etc., rather than PRE attacks, IMO.

So true Vuln: Pres based skills and seductive Pres attacks...???

"Baby you look even prettier in that special outfit"

You could theoretically build it as a Susceptibility; and treat the damage from the Disad as either Mind Control or Transform.

Could you use the "Incompatence" mods found in Dependancys for a Susceptable to Flattery?

Phys Lim: Incompatant when flattered (-X skill rolls, -X Pres to resist influencing Pres rolls...etc...) Or is it a Psych Lim? Then you can make a Ego roll to resist the Villans blandishments...

"Honey your face gets all red and unatractive when you use your cosmic blasts"

"Grrr! I only have a 20 STR! Even With a move through, I'll be almost useless!"