Spacer's Toolkit review on RPGnet

Lord Liaden

Can people respond with their comments?

Specifically I am torn about spending my hard earned cash on TE, ST, or TE AND ST. I am going to be running a Star Hero campaign NOT in TE (i.e. I will be using my own universe setting). Do I need these books? Which books would folks recommend I get?

THANKS! :D

Originally posted by JohnTaber

Can people respond with their comments?

Specifically I am torn about spending my hard earned cash on TE, ST, or TE AND ST. I am going to be running a Star Hero campaign NOT in TE (i.e. I will be using my own universe setting). Do I need these books? Which books would folks recommend I get?

If you're not running in the TE universe then you don't need either book, of course. Both will give you ideas to mine for your own game. I would probably recommend TE of the two unless you know you don't want to read the history stuff in TE and just go for straight gadgets. For me, TE was a very inspiring book.

More that half the book is star ship right-ups. As far as I am concerned the only reason to own the book is if you are running a Star Hero campaign with lots of space craft in it. I must say I was a bit disappointed in most of the weapons right-ups as well. I am not saying is a bad book, I just don’t think it is the same caliber as the Star Hero or The Terran Empire. Both of which have very good equipment and background information for use in just about any setting. If I was to give this book a letter grade it would be a solid C+. Nice try but just did not make it. Where I would rate both Star Hero or the Terran Empire as A’s.

Just my personal opinion.

Thanks

I have to say that I tend to agree. I liked the Starships, but I wanted to see a lot more weapons - like high-tech version of Alien melee weapons - and generic equipment.

I think I would have preferred a Starships book, and a specific Equipment book, so we could get more of the good stuff... :-)

The general consensus on the book, even back during the review process, has been that it's too heavy on starships and not heavy enough on personal gear. It's a very well done book aside from that, but that by itsef makes it the worst book DOJ has done so far. (Of course, saying that really isn't an insult, considering the quality of the other books.)

That said, I think we all know how to remedy the problems of "I wish the book had such-and-such": build some items of that type, and send them to Ben for the Spacer's Toolkit Online. I'm doing just that myself, and I think we'll collectively come up with a truly excellent compendium of stuff if we all put our minds to it. :D

Originally posted by HiLiph

One of the BEST ever rpg gear guides I've ever seen is Lock and Load for Battlelords of the 23rd Century. That's how a gear guide should be - tons of gadgets, weapons, armour, shields, implants, and personal missile units. . . Mmmm

What I use most heavily is GURPS Ultra-Tech and Ultra-Tech 2. Easily converted stats, lots of items in every category, and everything neatly divided by Tech Level. I add in Robots, Vehicles, and Bio-Tech and I have all of the gadgets I could possibbly need.

What I'm worried about with the direction of DOJ and Hero Games is that by supporting their own homegrown "universes" we'll see less and less generic stuff and genre books.

I for one have no interest in Terran Empire (or any other homegrown settings like the Turakian Age). After reading the reviews for both TE and ST, I don't think I'll buy either one. I just hope that DOJ realizes that Hero System is a generic universal game system, meaning that it excels at allowing GM's to produce their own worlds. I'd much rather see genre material like Fantasy Hero and Star Hero, or Ultimate Guides than stuff for settings.

That being said, I would like to see an even mix of equipment for sci-fi settings (not just Terran Empire). Since roleplaying is essentially about people, I'm more interested in personal items like weapons, armor, computers, communications equipment, espionage equipment, medical equipment and even mundane things like entertain equipment. To me, starships are props and Hero system is not what I'd use to play out battles between starships (Hero excels at charcter roleplaying, not starship or vehicle duels...I'd rather use something like Starfire, Star Fleet Battles or Starmada for warship combat resolution).

I guess everyone's preferences are different. I'd rather see a good mix of genre books WITH supporting materials. I like having campaign settings, either to play directly or for ideas for a game. I like the current trend of publishing a genre books, and then supporting it with a couple campaign books. Then release a new genre book. Support. Then go back to a previous genre and release another product for it. I like that.

I'd agree for the most part...until you look at DOJ's publishing schedule. Look at it for Star Hero, and everything that's coming out in the near future is for Terran Empire or a new campaign setting (solarhero and spacedogs whatever they are). How about specialized genre books like Post-Apocalypse Hero (which by another thread seems to have a pretty big following) or a Cyber Hero (I suppose Dark Champions will touch on this some)? And Fantasy Hero also looks likes it's going to be barraged with campaign/setting books too. I'd rather see something like DOJ did with the UNTIL Super Powers Database, and create something like a Grimoire instead.

To be honest, this worries me alot. While I'd rather see settings/campaign books than adventure scenarios, for my own personal tastes, DOJ is going in the wrong direction as to what they are focusing their writing efforts on.

I think DOJ's strategy is that game world settings are more popular than supplements or genre books. But like I said, that's missing the great strength of the Hero System. Instead of creating so many pre-fabbed worlds, they should do more genre books as fuel for the imagination to help GM's create their own worlds. I think a great many Hero players play unconventional worlds, from TV shows, to other roleplaying games, to movies, to comics, to novels. Why does DOJ want to create yet another game world to trounce around in? I'd much more appreciate new or expanded rules like in the Ultimate series, or tips and inspiration on how to do your own genres. Otherwise DOJ isn't capitalizing on their own strengths (sorry to make it sound like I know better than the business people in charge...but it just makes more logical sense to me).

I hope they come out with another Spacer's Toolkit (and to be honest, the title is Spacer's Toolkit, so it should be obvious what the majority of equipment will be. But maybe this time, call it the Tech Toolkit or something like that. And please....don't put so much Terran Empire constrained technology in it.

Another View...

I have to disagree w/ the above post. I think DOJ is catering to the massive audience for Space genre games by creating a template for others to co-opt (for their own world), or play in as provided.

My first interest in H5 was thru Martial Arts characters, so I got those books first.

But since I also buy WoTC's SW material, and Decipher's Trek books, I was pleased as punch when I finally got around to picking up SH.

SH was exactly what I wanted / needed, then I got Spacer's Toolkit (which I thought wonderfully augmented SH) - then lastly I got TE (which I love as much as any DOJ book so far).

I think it's all about taste. I doubt I'll be facing as many Orcs or Elves in my FREd gaming as some,... and perhaps not everyone wants to build a Starship base (like me)!

Just another view.

As an aside, the Fantasy HERO Grimiore is coming out relatively soon.

I will say that I am mostly interested in the more generic stuff personally. However, I definately see the need to put out official campaign settings. If my players suddenly told me that they wanted me to run a sci-fi game, I would be looking for something to get me started, and Terran Empire, the Xenovore invasion, and some of the others that eventually get put out would be what I was looking for. I would much rather give my money to HERO for a setting than to other companies.

Nightshade

I've long listened to the debate among HERO gamers between those who want more generic material to co-opt for their homegrown campaigns, and those who want more settings and setting-specific material. Honestly, I've yet to see a majority opinion emerge, and the posts on this thread seem to reinforce the impression that HERO fans run the gamut in their expectations. One of the most frequent complaints about pre-DoJ Hero that I heard is that with the exception of Champions, there wasn't enough setting-specific support.

My impression is that Hero Games is aware of this, and is trying to cater to as wide a cross-section of their fan base as possible. Hence we have genre books for people who want to build their own campaigns; the Bestiary and the Ultimate books (you can see more of those upcoming on the production schedule) for cross-genre support; and setting books and supplements for people who want whole settings, or elements of settings to crib from. Looking at the publishing schedule, I don't see them focussing their main energies on any of these areas.

I think that Spacer's Toolkit suffers a little in comparison to the UNTIL Superpowers Database - the broad and generic power coverage in that book might have led people to expect a similar treatment of high-tech in ST. For my part I would indeed have welcomed more personal gear and fewer starships (a separate starship supplement, perhaps covering ships from several of the setting eras, might have been more appropriate). I don't want to put all the responsibility for that on Ben Seeman's already-burdened shoulders, though. I recall him remarking that he was working from an outline given to him by Steve Long; certainly if Steve didn't like the emphasis of the manuscript he could have asked for changes in the editing phase. Maybe the company miscalculates what people want once in a while; they can't hit a homer or triple every time up. (Anyone want the cardboard standups from my Resource Kit?) ;)

One complaint that I have trouble sympathizing with, though, is that the tech is too "setting specific". All these items are just game mechanic writeups with names attached; what's preventing people from filing the names off and using these things for their homegrown campaigns?

Nightfly-

I agree with you, I loved Star Hero...but I don't consider that a campaign/setting book, I consider that a genre book. Star Hero is just another "gamer's toolkit" that helps GM's custom tailor fit their own sci-fi world. But with Terran Empire, it's already made up for me. While sometimes specific campaign settings can be useful if they resemble your own world enough to gain ideas, equipment or characters from, I'd still rather work on my own setting.

I'll get Fantasy Hero because I'll be interested in seeing if they have any useful tips on creating my mixed martial arts/fantasy setting I have in mind. But I don't plan on getting the Turakian Age or the Valdorian Age (pre-fabbed settings for Fantasy Hero). I'll probably also get Dark Champions. But I'll pass on most of DOJ's pre-fabbed world settings with the exception of Champion Universe (which I've always had a fondness for since I originally played Champions way back in 1984 and it has some memories for me....even though I don't really play super hero campaigns that much anymore)

I do not get as much use out of the genre books (I did really like Star Hero), but overall feel like the genre books seem to focus on "here is how you role play superheroes/fantasy/sci fi/etc". I can see how they would be nice to have, but not generally worth AS MUCH to me as other books.

I really do like the ultimate books. Books that give equipment are good (my SH game is quite effected by galactic politics, so prebuilt ships that I can enter into HD and modify a little bit is a big help). I usually don't place a huge priority on setting books, but am going to go buy Terran Empire today. I like the author's writing style, and if SH is any indication, I am confident I will be able to find good use of James Cambias' ideas from TE.

Polaris

PS: Ben, I hope none of the comments from people are discouraging to you. Perhaps Steve will let you write a personal equipment book that some people seem to be wanting?? :)

Originally posted by Polaris

I do not get as much use out of the genre books (I did really like Star Hero), but overall feel like the genre books seem to focus on "here is how you role play superheroes/fantasy/sci fi/etc". I can see how they would be nice to have, but not generally worth AS MUCH to me as other books.

I like the genre books but they are not as useful to me either. Genre books are more for people who want to build it themselves, and I just do not have the time to do that. I can certainly see where many people would like the Genre books though (I understand that most people prefer homebrew games).

For myself, I prefer Campaign books (and follow-up books). They give me all the information I need and save me a great deal of time. The good thing about campaign books is also that they can be used like generic books. Even if you do not want to play in the TE universe you can still use the racial and class package deals for a homebrew game. There is also all the technology and equipment that can be mined from the book. So for my money a Campaign book offers everything a generic book offers, plus you get the campaign information. To me that is like a double plus.

Originally posted by Polaris

PS: Ben, I hope none of the comments from people are discouraging to you. Perhaps Steve will let you write a personal equipment book that some people seem to be wanting?? :)

That's started to concern me as well. Ben did a fine job of writing these items up in a clear and entertaining manner, and whether or not the actual content is what a given Hero gamer is looking for doesn't detract from that. I'm hoping that he'll be given the opportunity to do more books in the future. :)

(Given Ben's self-proclaimed penchant for describing whatever he sees or thinks of in HERO System terms, I'm sure he won't lack for material.) ;)