Champions Universe: The Unresolved Questions/Plots

Steve Long

Someone asked me about this the other day, and it seemed to me like something y'all might enjoy discussing, so I thought I'd pass it along: what are the mysteries, plots, storylines, or other issues in the Champions Universe that remain "open" or unresolved that you'd like to see answered?

Offhand I can think of things like Mechanon's origin, the origin/nature of kelvarite, the conflict between Takofanes and the Crowns of Krim, the Hzeel, the overarching DEMON scheme, and the machinations of the Elder Worm. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

What's caught your attention that you'd like to see answered?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions Universe: The Unresolved Questions/Plots

Well, the Hzeel have been planning an invasion for years now. I'm sure we'll get details with Champions Beyond, but I am curious as to WHY Earth is so important to them. Is it just a beach head to move against the Perseid? Do they know their dead and tech have been utilized by humans like the Warlord, and thus believe a bit of payback is due? Are they after human genetic material in hopes it will give THEM powers?

On a less grand note, and speaking of Perseid, is Ironclad in trouble for going AWOL? :)

Vanguard was, according to rumor, the CU's Superman homage, or close to it. Does this mean somewhere there is the hidden but huge equivalent of a Fortress of Solitude type base? What secrets might it hold?

Mechanon and kelvarite are at the top of my list. (In fact, I think I have something on its origin in my Space Wizards manuscript... I'll see if I can't dig that excerpt up for you, Steve, if you're interested.)

I'd also like to know more about the Qularr, their invasion attempts, what they're like as a species (biologically), and so forth.

I would like to know more about kelvarite myself.

And part of me still wants to think that Mechanon got his intelligence from Takofanes by accident, which could help explain why old Takky seems somewhat brain-damaged right now. Especially as in the "can't learn anything about modern technology/civilization."

I'd say about negative six feet in steel drums in New Jersey if Steve had his way ;)

I'll be glad to help with this.

And my answer to Steve's question is "None of the above." I firmly believe a good setting leaves room for individual GM customization. I don't want official answers to any of those questions.

And part of me still wants to think that Mechanon got his intelligence from Takofanes by accident, which could help explain why old Takky seems somewhat brain-damaged right now. Especially as in the "can't learn anything about modern technology/civilization."

That's a pretty cool idea. :thumbup:

I'll be glad to help with this.

And my answer to Steve's question is "None of the above." I firmly believe a good setting leaves room for individual GM customization. I don't want official answers to any of those questions.

That's actually a very good point. If anything we could use more mysteries that GMs can toss at players. One mystery that could use clearing up is how "magic" gets turned into super powers -- like maybe a few more fundamental origins for superheroes in CU.

I'm curious what this is apropos of. An new CU supplement on the way perhaps?

That's actually a very good point. If anything we could use more mysteries that GMs can toss at players. One mystery that could use clearing up is how "magic" gets turned into super powers -- like maybe a few more fundamental origins for superheroes in CU.

I'm curious what this is apropos of. An new CU supplement on the way perhaps?

I don't think of it so much as magic 'turning into' superpowers, but more that a high level of ambient magic loosens the laws of physics enough to make superpowers (which typically violate real-world physics concepts like the square-cube law or conservation of energy) possible.

I feel like a fool for forgetting this earlier, but the one unresolved -- or, more precisely, undeveloped -- plot that bugs me is the Andromedan question. For some reason when reading the origins of Nebula and Vibron, I have an associative thought of the old Time Trax TV show where future criminals escaped justice by going 200 years into the past, which was our present. In this case, I have this idea of a series of Andromedan supercriminals (specifically, those listed on page 215 of CKC) on the lam going to Earth. And what ever happened to the Transport Gate that they used to get here in the first place? Are more Andromedans coming? And is there a way for them to get back?

I can see where you're coming from with this answer, and I agree individual GM should have room to change and develop settings.

But at the same time, I read Champions Universe or Villians, Vandals, and Vermin (the one I'm currently reading), and I want to read the rest of the story about the backgrounds or how some of the character development pan out. Maybe it's the writer wanna-be in me, but I want to know how the characters felt about things. If Morgaine the Mystic (VVV Crimelords) gets too gutsy in her attempts to get Tiger Lily out of the picture, will Dreadnaught step in and put her in her place, or would he set back and watch the women fight it out? Does Tiger Lily feel Morgaine's a threat enough that it affects the decisions she makes as leader of the Crimelords?

just a couple of examples.

I can see where you're coming from with this answer, and I agree individual GM should have room to change and develop settings.

But at the same time, I read Champions Universe or Villians, Vandals, and Vermin (the one I'm currently reading), and I want to read the rest of the story about the backgrounds or how some of the character development pan out. Maybe it's the writer wanna-be in me, but I want to know how the characters felt about things. If Morgaine the Mystic (VVV Crimelords) gets too gutsy in her attempts to get Tiger Lily out of the picture, will Dreadnaught step in and put her in her place, or would he set back and watch the women fight it out? Does Tiger Lily feel Morgaine's a threat enough that it affects the decisions she makes as leader of the Crimelords?

just a couple of examples.

I totally understand that, but my wannabe writer wants to answer those questions, not have them answered for me. Especially that particular plotline. I plan on doing stuff with it.

I totally understand that' date=' but my wannabe writer wants to answer those questions, not have them answered for me. Especially that particular plotline. I plan on doing stuff with it.[/quote']

Oh yeah, I definitely have my own ideas about how that storyline could go. But as someone said to me recently, writers have more ideas that time to write them. I like to read well written story too, and I don't like the idea of borrowing other people's characters personally, unless it's paid tie-in writing. So for me, I want to READ the rest of the story. I want to WRITE my own stories with my own characters.

In those examples, I could write my thoughts on the plot, but since they aren't my characters, I am interested to see what the creator/author had in mind for them, if anything.

The source of Teleios's notes.

Yeah, that one is well up there for me, as well. Ditto Mechanon and the Hzeel. Let's see, what else has been on my mind...

The ascension of a new Archmage.

The final battle between Heaven and Hell over Vibora Bay.

The identity and motives of GRAB's patron.

The fate of the Ancient Empyreans.

What's the source of the meteorites that empowered the various Meteor Men (Mans?).

What is the Monster?

Who created Leech, and why?

Who and where is the third child of Nama?

Speaking of children, are there any other superpowered offspring of the Zodiac Working besides Frag?

How's Dr. Yin Wu progressing on creating the Jade Mirror of Transcendence?

I'll probably think of others later.

I feel like a fool for forgetting this earlier' date=' but the one unresolved -- or, more precisely, undeveloped -- plot that bugs me is the Andromedan question. For some reason when reading the origins of Nebula and Vibron, I have an associative thought of the old [i']Time Trax[/i] TV show where future criminals escaped justice by going 200 years into the past, which was our present. In this case, I have this idea of a series of Andromedan supercriminals (specifically, those listed on page 215 of CKC) on the lam going to Earth. And what ever happened to the Transport Gate that they used to get here in the first place? Are more Andromedans coming? And is there a way for them to get back?

I agree that there's great potential to introduce characters and plot elements from Andromeda into the Milky Way and Champions Earth. The MW is pretty firmly set continuity-wise in the official CU, but Andromeda is rather wide open for development. Judging by Nebula, there's at least one power in that galaxy capable of taking draconian actions against those they disapprove of.

This one is answered actually' date=' in Galactic Champions.[/quote']

Well, not exactly. IIRC other Champions books have mentioned that, while Witchcraft will become Archmage by 2020, that doesn't mean that another Archmage couldn't take office between then and the present day. That keeps coming up in references to Dweomer, who sounds like the current leading candidate. Steve and Darren seem to want to keep the possibilities open.

In any case, I'd like to see some movement on this. IMO a new Archmage would send serious (and interesting) ripples across the CU.

I want to know one thing, but it's part of the Hero Universe at large, not Champions.

Who is Krim, really.

Since Krim still has a presence in the modern CU through the Crowns, it's certainly relevant to Champions. There's been some interesting speculation about Krim's current activities and final fate on the forums recently.