What Age are we in now

tadk

Ok

I am trying to get caught up here on the idea of Golden Age, Silver Age, Iron Age of Comics, and where are we technically at now

so Golden Age is back in the 50s I take it

Silver Age follows I believe

Iron Age is 70s to 80s, when I was reading them the most, the most influence (Marvel Comics especially) on my old Champions Gaming.

So the question is, what Age, what defining characteristics are we in right now?

Just curious thanks

Tad

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What Age are we in now

Ok

I am trying to get caught up here on the idea of Golden Age, Silver Age, Iron Age of Comics, and where are we technically at now

Iron Age is 70s to 80s, when I was reading them the most, the most influence (Marvel Comics especially) on my old Champions Gaming.

So the question is, what Age, what defining characteristics are we in right now?

Just curious thanks

Tad

Not the answer you wanted, but I thought you should know,

You skipped the bronze age, which was after the silver...

Golden Age actually goes all the way back to the 30s/40s.

Silver Age is the adaption of the Comics Code in the 50s (IIRC).

Bronze Age is the 70s through early 80s.

Iron Age is mid 80s onwards.

I think, and I don't really follow comics, we're in the "Diamond Age" or some such rubbish.

I'll start reading 'em regularly when we're in the Molybdenum Age.

Golden Age actually goes all the way back to the 30s/40s.

Silver Age is the adaption of the Comics Code in the 50s (IIRC).

Bronze Age is the 70s through early 80s.

Iron Age is mid 80s onwards.

I think, and I don't really follow comics, we're in the "Diamond Age" or some such rubbish.

I'll start reading 'em regularly when we're in the Molybdenum Age.

Cool then, I was not sure.

I saw some Iron Age supplement for M&M the other day when I bought Madmen and Masterminds for Hero Pulp and I was not really sure.

So it wont matter what I declare my new city to be like

Thanks tons for the reply :)

I am trying to get caught up here on the idea of Golden Age' date=' Silver Age, Iron Age of Comics, and where are we technically at now[/quote']

This is not a science, so there is considerable disagreemnet as to precise timing.

The Golden Age is in the 1940's, generally considered to end when the Supers stoped being opublished (other than those who made it through the "interregnum" - Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman). This is the cleanest cutoff. Supers were pretty much done. Afterwards, their publishing was unabated and the cutoff dates become less clear as one age "bleeds" into the next.

The intro of the Martian Manhunter (Nov/55), The intro of the Barry Alen Flash (Oct/56) and the intro of the Fantastic Four, and with them the Marvel Age (Nov/61) are generally benchmarks for the dawn of the Silver Age, and the resurgence of the Super Hero.

Its end is often identified with the Death of Gwen Stacy arc in Spider Man (June/73) and with the "Speedy Heroin Addict" arc in Green Lantern/Green Arrow (1971)

Bronze Age

The Bronze follows Silver, and is generally characterized by heroes facing more real-world issues and more shades of grey. It's generally accepted to go from the early '70s (see above) to sometime in the 1980's.

Iron Age is 70s to 80s' date=' when I was reading them the most, the most influence (Marvel Comics especially) on my old Champions Gaming.[/quote']

Iron Age is generally considered marked by the emergence of anti-heroes, heros with guns, claws, etc. and a sharp reduction in the superior "morality" of the Superhero. Heros who kill, ultimately making it hard to differentiate the hero from the villain.

Watchmen (1986) is often considered either a precursor to, or the dawning of, the Iron Age.

There appears to be little common ground as to when Iron ended, or what came next. It's probably too recent for anything to gel in this regard.

Also worth noting that there are always exceptions to the "____ Age is" stereotypes, and that there are books that intentionally draw on tropes from other "ages". There's considerable overlap. I usually think of the best current comics as Steel Age (polished Iron) or Alloy Age (mixes of tropes from various ages).

One way to look at ages is through various incarnations of Batman.

Golden Age Batman: Beats up Crooks & Nazis, criminals are thieves and mobsters, vigilante but no one much cares, takes Robin to the park, plays idiotic pranks on Superman, chases the Joker through warehouses, Joker tries to steal things and threaten people

Silver Age Batman: Beats up Crooks but not too badly, criminals are petty thieves and pranksters, becomes a police deputy, spends a lot of time with Robin trapped in giant pinball machines and birthday cakes, tormented by obsessed fan 5th dimensional imp (Batmite), plays idiotic pranks on Superman, chases the Joker through fun-houses, Joker tries to play pointless pranks

Bronze Age Batman: Beats up Crooks, suddenly notices that Gotham is full of sex workers and drug dealers, creative differences with Robin, far fewer giant birthday cakes and pranksters, very few pranks on Superman, starts beating the Joker up more seriously, Joker starts seriously trying to kill people

Iron Age Batman: Beats up Crooks and Superman, the sex workers and drug dealers are under the thumbs of hopelessly corrupt cops and politicians, everyone starts to notice that Batman is a vigilante again, Robin is gone but regularly replaced and occasionally killed, starts beating the Joker but not quite killing him (or, depending on point of view, only killing him once), Joker's body count rises into the thousands

Rusty Iron Batman: Beats up Robin, Superman, White Martians, Martian Manhunter, and whoever else he feels like, refrains from saying "Bub, Snikt" but only just, the out-and-out criminals are the least morally reprehensible people in Gotham, no good natured pranks on anyone to speak of, feeds Robin rats between bouts of absurd abuse, plots the neutralization of his friends (who are all morally reprehensible), Joker starts turning Superheroines into broken victims

Steel Age Batman: Yet to be determined

I've heard it coined both "Platinum Age" and "Modern Age"

Hopefully we'll see the end of the Quesada Age before too long.

Nah, it should be the Joephitso Age ;)

I like to think of this as the Moron Age of Comics.

This is the age of comics where the writers decide to completely ruin characters and treat their readers like morons.

It's like the comics are being written by talk show shockjocks who can't write.

Tony Stark checking to see if his penis is still there? Come on, Bendis. Show some decorum! Yeah, it's funny, but it's still tasteless.

Superboy Prime? What is the POINT of this nonsense?

Rainbow Guardians of the Universe? Geoff Johns needs to go to Detox mansion and stop mainlining crack.

Why can't people just write good stories? Everything has to be either A) Cosmic or B) Illogical or C) Both.

This is not a science, so there is considerable disagreemnet as to precise timing.

The Golden Age is in the 1940's, generally considered to end when the Supers stoped being opublished (other than those who made it through the "interregnum" - Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman). This is the cleanest cutoff. Supers were pretty much done. Afterwards, their publishing was unabated and the cutoff dates become less clear as one age "bleeds" into the next.

The intro of the Martian Manhunter (Nov/55), The intro of the Barry Alen Flash (Oct/56) and the intro of the Fantastic Four, and with them the Marvel Age (Nov/61) are generally benchmarks for the dawn of the Silver Age, and the resurgence of the Super Hero.

Its end is often identified with the Death of Gwen Stacy arc in Spider Man (June/73) and with the "Speedy Heroin Addict" arc in Green Lantern/Green Arrow (1971)

The Bronze follows Silver, and is generally characterized by heroes facing more real-world issues and more shades of grey. It's generally accepted to go from the early '70s (see above) to sometime in the 1980's.

Iron Age is generally considered marked by the emergence of anti-heroes, heros with guns, claws, etc. and a sharp reduction in the superior "morality" of the Superhero. Heros who kill, ultimately making it hard to differentiate the hero from the villain.

Watchmen (1986) is often considered either a precursor to, or the dawning of, the Iron Age.

There appears to be little common ground as to when Iron ended, or what came next. It's probably too recent for anything to gel in this regard.

Well the benchmarks of the past are:

1939: Superman and Batman come out.

1956: The Flash reintroduced the superhero.

1973: Gwen Stacy dies and with her the Comics Code Authority

1986: The Punisher gets his own comic book.

I can't really think of another such benchmark, nothing that is likely to revolutionise the business (Civil War being just more of the same with the default Marvel universe being retooled for a greater resemblance to the more Irony Ultimates universe) so I'm guessing we're still in the Iron Age.

The fun thing about old posts is they are recyclable. For my personal break down on what's gone before, I repeat a post where one line descriptions were asked for.

One line descriptions? Whew.. mmm... okay, I think that there are two golden age styles (comic code enforced and filtered retroactively, and the more pulpish and often ruthless), and two Silver (DC and Marvel) so... off the top of my head:

Golden Age (before Comics Code enforced): "It's a long way down, Herr Kruegor. Tell me where the Uber-bomb is, and MAYBE I'll pull you up."

(Often followed by a plummetting scream)

Golden Age (as retroactively sanitized): "Come on, Patriot Guard! Let's knock these Nazi Neerdowells to their jack booted knees!"

Silver Age (DC Style): "Great Godfrey! The Andromedeans are launching the moons of Jupiter at us. I've got to catch them all before they crush the city!"

Silver Age (Marvel Style): "Great, the girl of my dreams won't give me the time of day as a maskless milksop, and now she blames Mantis Man for her father's death not knowing the truth... either way, I just can't win."

Bronze Age: "Listen, I know what you're going through, I know it hurts to go without the serum that gives you power, but you have to fight it. You CAN beat an addiction... trust me, I know from experience."

Iron Age: "What makes you think you get to SEE jail, you #$#$ #$#$%er! Hell, I'd do you in even if I wasn't being paid!"

The iron age has gone on for a few decades, longer than the other ages. Considering everything that has changed, I've tried to spread the concept of a Steel Age. The Steel Age is marked by more realistic motivations. In the Steel Age, everyone has their own agenda, your allies are only allies of convenience and you may work against them one day when your agendas conflict. There's less idealism and more ideology. For example there's the Civil War (no matter how horribly done) the heroes acted in accordance to their own motivations instead of working together.

The iron age has gone on for a few decades' date=' longer than the other ages. Considering everything that has changed, I've tried to spread the concept of a Steel Age. The Steel Age is marked by more realistic motivations. In the Steel Age, everyone has their own agenda, your allies are only allies of convenience and you may work against them one day when your agendas conflict. There's less idealism and more ideology. For example there's the Civil War (no matter how horribly done) the heroes acted in accordance to their own motivations instead of working together.[/quote']

I have a different take on this. I consider Steel Age titles (shiny Iron) to be books like Alan Moore's Supreme, Promethea or Tom Strong, or Kurt Busiek's Astro City. Maybe some of Warren Ellis Planetary or his run on the Authority (tough those are arguably just well done Iron). Books freely borrowing tropes from the Gold, Silver and Bronze age, where there's still an essential idealism to the characters.

Alan Moore once said that his run on Supreme was an attempt to re-construct the Superhero, and something of an apology for the mess that had been left behind by the constant de-construction that he contributed to with Watchmen and Marvel Man / Miracle Man. That, to me, is Steel Age: A Super Hero (note the two parts of the descriptor) comic written for adults, with genuine fondness for the tropes of the genre even if some of them are whimsical or absurd by real world standards.

Iron Age is still being published (and is in fact still dominant in the tiny comic book industry), but then so is Bronze, Silver, and even a little Gold. The most successful Superhero movies and television are Bronze or Steel, with the exception of Batman Begins (which was arguably Iron, just not Rusty Iron).

I'm going to disagree with you on Batman Begins, Oddhat. I think it's pure steel. I think Batman believes that Ra's will come back to life, and therefore, he simply doesn't feel the need to save a man who will suddenly be restored to life later.

If I know my enemy is going to return to life, there is no reason to try and save him from pits of lava, exploding train wrecks, or radioactive burst chambers. My time as a superhero is better spent saving someone other than the villain whose powers include being ressurrection lad.

Did we see a body? No. They didn't make the mistake that Tim Burton made with the Joker.

I've heard it coined both "Platinum Age" and "Modern Age"

But so far nobody has identified any characteristics of it. Which makes me think people keep trying to declare the Iron Age over because they know it's horrible, but even though they stab it with their forks the thing just won't die. I mean c'mon what's different about the last few years from the 90s? More cannibalism because that's the only way a villain can be worse than a hero? More heroes turning on each other?

But so far nobody has identified any characteristics of it. Which makes me think people keep trying to declare the Iron Age over because they know it's horrible' date=' but even though they stab it with their forks the thing just won't die. I mean c'mon what's different about the last few years from the 90s? More cannibalism because that's the only way a villain can be worse than a hero? More heroes turning on each other?[/quote']

I described characteristics of "Steel Age" titles here.

"Alan Moore once said that his run on Supreme was an attempt to re-construct the Superhero, and something of an apology for the mess that had been left behind by the constant de-construction that he contributed to with Watchmen and Marvel Man / Miracle Man. That, to me, is Steel Age: A Super Hero (note the two parts of the descriptor) comic written for adults, with genuine fondness for the tropes of the genre even if some of them are whimsical or absurd by real world standards."

Not that I'd say the Iron Age is over with the big two; just pointing out that some creators are trying to re-construct what has been deconstructed to death.