What Age are we in now

tadk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What Age are we in now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Claw

But, at least they had the sense to make it Jubilee in the little green shorts ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparrow_%28comics%29

It was a joke!!! I was joking!!! TAKE IT BACK :cry:

it even said "most popular..." in the wiki entry.

If you need me I'll be in the corner in the fetal position.

Iron Age is still being published (and is in fact still dominant in the tiny comic book industry)' date=' but then so is Bronze, Silver, and even a little Gold.[/quote']

Can you give examples of Bronze, Silver, and Gold superhero titles being published today? I'm specifying superhero because Archie comics is still being published. Also I'd like to exclude the Cartoon Network comics and other comics specifically for little kids.

And not to contradict myself about superhero vs non-superhero comics, which age do you think the new GIJoe and Transformers comics belong in?

Did we see a body? No. They didn't make the mistake that Tim Burton made with the Joker.

In light of recent events (and in no way to disrespect the dead), are they going to show the body in the new Batman movie or have another guy play the Joker in a sequel?

Can you give examples of Bronze, Silver, and Gold superhero titles being published today? I'm specifying superhero because Archie comics is still being published. Also I'd like to exclude the Cartoon Network comics and other comics specifically for little kids.

And not to contradict myself about superhero vs non-superhero comics, which age do you think the new GIJoe and Transformers comics belong in?

Others that read more current comics (particularly Enforcer, Hermit, and Super Squirel) would be better able to answer this, but:

The Timmverse / DCAU is excellent Bronze, as are the comics that came out of it. Justice League Unlimited, Superman Adventures, Batman: Gotham Adventures, etc.

Astro City is a Steel title, in that it lovingly incorporates Silver, Gold, and Bronze elements with an Iron eye for the older reader.

Tom Strong is a Steel title, with intentionally Gold, Silver, Bronze, and occasionally Iron stories; unlike Busiek, Moore does less blending in the books, intentionally giving each story the flavor of a given age.

Excluding superhero comics written for kids would exclude most of the comics from the 40s to the 70s.

GI Joe and Transformers I haven't read.

Well, the early issues of Transformers were pretty Silver Age. I mean, they had a plot revolving around using a Car Wash to hypnotize people into letting Decepticons siphon gas from their cars. That's pretty Silver Age Silly.

When Simon Furman took over, things got darker. There were a lot more character deaths (as far as such can be considered for robots), more angst (bordering on Wangst on a few times for Prime) ... I'd say it eased into Bronze at that point.

I haven't read too much of the newer Dreamwave/IDW stuff, but I would put the Stormbringer story arc as late bronze early iron, given how deeply it looked at the effects that the Great War was having on Cybertron itself, as well as the way Nebulos got levelled.

Spider Man is Silver Age. However, his inaction directly lead to his Uncle Ben's death. Before revisionist history set in, it wasn't the Sandman. It wasn't a thief that robbed someone that had just cheated him, and therefore might be considered at all justified for letting the robber get away. It was a thief he let get away out of pure selfishness, because he was an embittered teenager that thought he knew everything. That was both darker and at the same time more realistic than a lot of the garbage the big companies are putting out that's supposed to be "edgy" and "real", and it's in the same age as Krypto the Superdog. Also gave us one of the most recognized quotes of comicdom, "With great power...".

Batman is Golden Age, and yet his story starts with obvious tragedy. In his early appearances he would actually hurt and maim, and on occasion even kill. He carried a gun. He was more akin to pulp characters than he was to the True Blue superheroes of later years. On one occasion as a criminal fell to his death he even said something like, "This will save the public the expense of a trial." Again, a comic quote that went down in history, "Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot". Yet, this era also gave us Johny Thunder.

Superman begins with the death of a world and all its culture.

The ages have been more mixed than people seem to remember.

Spider Man is Silver Age. However, his inaction directly lead to his Uncle Ben's death. Before revisionist history set in, it wasn't the Sandman. It wasn't a thief that robbed someone that had just cheated him, and therefore might be considered at all justified for letting the robber get away. It was a thief he let get away out of pure selfishness, because he was an embittered teenager that thought he knew everything. That was both darker and at the same time more realistic than a lot of the garbage the big companies are putting out that's supposed to be "edgy" and "real", and it's in the same age as Krypto the Superdog. Also gave us one of the most recognized quotes of comicdom, "With great power...".

Batman is Golden Age, and yet his story starts with obvious tragedy. In his early appearances he would actually hurt and maim, and on occasion even kill. He carried a gun. He was more akin to pulp characters than he was to the True Blue superheroes of later years. On one occasion as a criminal fell to his death he even said something like, "This will save the public the expense of a trial." Again, a comic quote that went down in history, "Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot". Yet, this era also gave us Johny Thunder.

Well said, and repped.

Ok

I am trying to get caught up here on the idea of Golden Age, Silver Age, Iron Age of Comics, and where are we technically at now

so Golden Age is back in the 50s I take it

Silver Age follows I believe

Iron Age is 70s to 80s, when I was reading them the most, the most influence (Marvel Comics especially) on my old Champions Gaming.

So the question is, what Age, what defining characteristics are we in right now?

Just curious thanks

Tad

I believe we're in the "Nobody reads comics anymore, esspecially not kids" age...:(

The only ages where there is any really clear marker of demarkation is between the golden and silver ages of super hero comics. And that's because there was a definite period when super hero comics were in a noticable decline, and because the comics industry then focussed on other genres. War comics, crime comics, humour comics, horror comics, romance comics, and science fiction comics all had an upswing in sales while super hero books were getting cancelled all over.

And then the Comics Code came and hurt the production of some of these (horrow, crime, war) and so there was a second age of super heroics.

I'm not convinced that there was a huge stylistic change between a 1949 Jay Garrick story and a 1954 Barry Allen story. It was just on which side of the lull in super heroics the story appeared.

We haven't had that kind of lull since. The early 70s came close just because a relaxed code did mean more horror and crime books could be done again, and again some of the other genres came forward while super heroes were cut back.

But has that happened since?

It's the Reboot Age.

The big 2 (especially Marvel) have convinced themselves that no one cares about the storied histories of even their greatest characters. So (Marvel) starts a new universe for "new" readers and DC explodes theirs (not a bad idea actually).

Unfortunately, Marvel didn't stop there and began screwing with their primary universe as well (for the worse).

Reboot Age!

While this certainly has truth to it.

I think part of the problem is people have a vision that comics have done nothing but get "darker" or "grittier" over time.

I talk to many people who don't realize that the Golden Age came directly from the Pulps of pre-WW2, and they had some decidedly dark elements, and some things that would not have passed the Comics Code.

The Silver Age could, and probably should, be marked directly with that convention - which effectively killed off the Horror Story Comic, one of the more popular at the time. Companies could almost do nothing but focus on the Superhero Comic Genre, and then it HAD to be clean.

After that there is certainly a steady decline, and I think Iron Age could have aimed to reclaim some of the Pulp Glory from the Golden Age, but instead seemed to be "real" - forgetting of course we're telling stories about people who can fly and shoot lasers from their eyes.

Golden Age Batman: Beats up Crooks & Nazis, criminals are thieves and mobsters, vigilante but no one much cares, takes Robin to the park, plays idiotic pranks on Superman, chases the Joker through warehouses, Joker tries to steal things and threaten people

One quibble:

Golden Age Batman did kill some few people at the start of his career. If I remember right, in his first published story he threw someone into a vat of acid. He even used a gun once or twice.

And the Joker killed quite a few people when he first showed up. Not as many as in the Rusty Iron/Barbed Wire Age, but he was definitely a murderer.

One quibble:

Golden Age Batman did kill some few people at the start of his career. If I remember right, in his first published story he threw someone into a vat of acid. He even used a gun once or twice.

And the Joker killed quite a few people when he first showed up. Not as many as in the Rusty Iron/Barbed Wire Age, but he was definitely a murderer.

Agreed, though the deaths and other consequences of violence were usually off screen. As noted in my posts, the "ages" were always more mixed than we tend to give them credit for in internet arguments.

Look at the power list they gave Dark Claw! It's like he's the ultimate munchkin.

Yup. "Superman is too powerful" but a guy who can be incinerated and recover in moments, chop through any substance, has Doc Savage's skill list plus others Doc never dreamed of, super senses, super strength, super reflexes, super endurance, groovy gadgets and vehicles, etc, that's just fine. People can identify with that. :cool:

Yup. "Superman is too powerful" but a guy who can be incinerated and recover in moments' date=' chop through any substance, has Doc Savage's skill list plus others Doc never dreamed of, super senses, super strength, super reflexes, super endurance, groovy gadgets and vehicles, etc, that's just fine. People can identify with that. :cool:[/quote']

I'm guessing that whoever said "Supes is too powerful" is also the same person who came up with Dark Claw?

I'm guessing that whoever said "Supes is too powerful" is also the same person who came up with Dark Claw?

Not as far as I know; it's a complaint I've heard a lot from comic book writers and fans of Iron Age comics. And, for some reason, fans of Thor. ;)

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far

I am totally going to adopt a lot of these ideas and comments

Far as Amalgam goes, I got a ton of those when they came out

I got the M&M Iron Age sourcebook and in there they call this the Nascent Modern Age

I kinda like Rusted better

back to getting some comics to reacquaint myself with the current stock.

tad