Champion??

steph

Re: Champion??

I sure hope they drop the cookie cutter crap they force everyone into in City of Heroes.

I doubt it. It's not like there's gonna be a live GM to approve character write-ups.

Of course, I'm expecting a LOT of variety and flexibility in character design. At least more than is currently available in CoH.

From the game informer magazine article it appears that every character can get every ability in the game, but the costs of those abilities are different depending on which class you take. So particular archtypes will be encourage by the class/cost thing, but not forced.

That is a really cool idea. :)

::Shutter::, I was really hoping there would not be archtypes...

From the game informer magazine article it appears that every character can get every ability in the game, but the costs of those abilities are different depending on which class you take. So particular archtypes will be encourage by the class/cost thing, but not forced.

That is a really cool idea. :)

Rolemaster did this with Skills and Classes. If you're doing a class/level system it's a darn good way to do it.

Just a shame that they had to do a class/level system.

I sure hope they drop the cookie cutter crap they force everyone into in City of Heroes.
According to the article in this month's Game Informer, every power will be available to every character, but the cost of each will vary according to your chosen "class." The same paragraph in the article goes on with the example that any class can "tank" but each class will do it differently.

::Shutter::' date=' I was really hoping there would not be archtypes...[/quote']

How would it work without archetypes? The environment the players interact with has to to compatible with each and every character a player may design. Since the game can't come up with tailored villains, the only alternative is to use archetypes predictable (from a balance point of view) game play.

I like the idea of anyone being able to get any power but...

Depending on the cost of taking something not associated with your class, this can very easily lead to problems. The divide between people that pick powers for strictly RP/concept reasons and those that min/max along the class specialties could potentially create vast imbalances.

We see this sort of thing in other MMO's including CoX, but clearly defined class lines tend to limit it. Of course, there will always be people that just don't know enough about the game to make good choices or deliberately gimp their characters.

Of course, if it's too free form then the tankmage issue crops up.

Regardless, hopefully characters will be able to switch powers and class easily in case they find the character developing differently than expected.

I believe that if they are coupling a template system to the full creation system, it should be ok.

It would end in "either pick a template from a list, either create your own detailed hero (we hope you know what you do)"

On a more personnal note, I don't mind about balance between playing styles.

When I start a MMOG, sincerely, I know that as a roleplayer, I'm not the primary target. And then if I do things purely for concept reasons that don't work well within the game, it's me not following, consciously, the rules and the expected choices.

See... one of my characters on CoH was a Trick Arrow/Archery defender without travel powers... not exactly the best game combination back then. And the lack of travel powers was simply handicapping me.

I mean here I never expected that my concept choices should be balanced, comparatively to "regular builds".

Yes but Trick Arrows wasn't the best set back then and even know many would say it "sucks".

Also, the lack of travel power is certainly a handicap you call on yourself.

I'm not saying the combination isn't playable, just when you drift from the expectations of the game system, you can't expect to always have a balanced character.

I actually have a lvl 50 TA/Archery Defender without a travel power and he does fine. That's not really gimping your character all that badly in the grand scheme of things...

So do I, unless you count Invisibility or various Fitness powers as travel powers

I like the idea of anyone being able to get any power but...

Depending on the cost of taking something not associated with your class, this can very easily lead to problems. The divide between people that pick powers for strictly RP/concept reasons and those that min/max along the class specialties could potentially create vast imbalances.

We see this sort of thing in other MMO's including CoX, but clearly defined class lines tend to limit it. Of course, there will always be people that just don't know enough about the game to make good choices or deliberately gimp their characters.

Of course, if it's too free form then the tankmage issue crops up.

Regardless, hopefully characters will be able to switch powers and class easily in case they find the character developing differently than expected.

A lot of people worry about this, and my response is always the same: "So?"

If you have fun with your RP set up character, does it matter that a min/maxer has a more efficient build? You'll both be heroes so it's doubtful that PvP will be an issue.

When I play MMO's I have to like my character in an RP sense. If I can't picture that particular race being that particular class, I won't do it regardless of the min/max potential. If I can't see my character using a particular weapon from an RP perspective, I won't use it, no matter how much better it is than my current weapon.

"Champions" is the pen and paper game' date=' like DnD. "Champions Online" is a new MMO that'll be released in 2009. We're calling Champions Online COMMO ("Champions Online MMO") here, although that hasn't been made official by the folks at Cryptic.[/quote']

Yeah because we need "officials" before something gets a nickname :rolleyes::D