Skrull vs. Avengers

Egyptoid

the Skrull empire financed a super powers program twice that we know of:

"A) Klrt emulated the Fantastic Four. :DAs such, he can elongate any part of his body, emit and control flames, use his control over flame to fly, become invisible, form invisible force fields, possess superhuman strength, and transform into a rocky hide/body armor. He is also capable of hypnosis and some shapeshifting.

B) The Skrull engineered to fight the X-Men :hex:had superhuman strength and has enhanced agility, stamina, durability, speed, and reflexes. Paibok also has the ability to fly, and his skin is also said to be as strong as steel, can shapeshift to a certain degree. However, unlike other Skrulls, Paibok has the ability to generate and hurl electricity. He also has the power to generate and manipulate extremely cold temperatures; with this he can freeze opponents, create ice structures and shoot ice projectiles at his opponents. Paibok also has the ability to hypnotize.(Colossus, Storm, Iceman, Beast, etc.)"

:smoke:Did Marvel ever do a Skrull powered like the Avengers ?

If not, lets discuss what he/she would/should be like in this thread.

Re: Skrull vs. Avengers

AFAIK, the Skrulls never made an Avengers version of Super Skrull. But the Avengers already have the Super Adaptoid so would probably have seemed unnecessary from a writer's standpoint. Plus the others have the benefit of a common source of powers (cosmic rays, mutant X-factor) that would probably make it easier than the variety of origins the Avengers have.

But...if they were to do one:

Shapeshift/hypnosis powers - pretty standard Skrull fare.

What Avengers to base them on? I'll restrict to more 'classic' members.

-Thor, Hercules - probably hard for Skrull science to duplicate godly might.

-Iron Man, Hawkeye, etc. - tech powers easy enough to duplicate, but hardly need special program for it.

-Captain America, Black Widow, Falcon, etc. - highly trained plus gadgets, again hardly need special program.

-Ms. Marvel - incorporate Kree DNA? I don't think so.

-Scarlet Witch - probably hard to duplicate.

-Quicksilver - speedster powers are good.

-Wonder Man - good basic brick powers

-Vision - lots of good stuff - intangibility, density increase, flight, etc.

-Wasp and Ant-Man/Giant Man etc. - size changing should be easy enough for the Skrulls to pull off. Insect control as a spin off of hypnotism too.

So it would probably look like:

Super-speed from Quicksilver, density powers from Vision, enhanced size changing abilities & mental control of insects from the Pym set. So pretty much a superfast size changing shape-shifting brick who can go desolid. Oh, and do mind control and insect control. Ick. :eek:

Another route could be to make a Skrullian Taskmaster - enhanced physical abilities and supremely trained/able to copy fighting styles, armed with variants of Avenger weapons like Cap's shield, bow & arrow set, etc.

Xavin from Runaways is a young Skrull that is apparently part of the larger Super Skrull training program (he has F4 based powers, though not fully developed to Kl'rt's level).

Then there's the whole "Secret Invasion" storyline going on, which resulted in an Avenges Super Skrull as well as a second Super Skrull based on the X-Men. Oh, and there is the Super Skrull that was imitating Black Bolt...with the powers of the Illuminati, which is potentially mind boggling considering the membership roster of the group...

Xavin from Runaways is a young Skrull that is apparently part of the larger Super Skrull training program (he has F4 based powers, though not fully developed to Kl'rt's level).

Then there's the whole "Secret Invasion" storyline going on, which resulted in an Avenges Super Skrull as well as a second Super Skrull based on the X-Men. Oh, and there is the Super Skrull that was imitating Black Bolt...with the powers of the Illuminati, which is potentially mind boggling considering the membership roster of the group...

Cool - do you have more info on these guys/possible links? :)

To expand a bit on what Bloodstone said:

The last ish of the Illuminati minseries showed 3 new Super-Skrulls.

One with all the powers of the Illuminati -- Black Bolt, Doctor Strange*, Iron Man**, Mister Fantastic, Namor the Sub-Mariner, and Xavier. (He'd been posing as Black Bolt for the past 10 years or so of "in-game" time, too, ever since the end of the Kree/Skrull War [1972]....:rolleyes:)

He soon got back-up from two other Super-Skrulls, one who seemed Avengers-y (I recall seeing elements of Thor's costume; Bendis said he was a "Classic Avengers" Srull) and one X-Men-y (he had Colossus-like skin and Cyclops-ian optic blasts; Bendis said he was a "Classic X-Men" Skrull... though Colossus wasn't on the Classic Team, he was on the All-New, All-Different team, with Nightcrawler, Storm, Thunderbird, Banshee, Sunfire, and Wolverine).

Namor killed the Illuminati-Skrull, and Stark killed the other two Super-Skrulls with a massive explosion.

Newsrama interview with Bendis on these new Super-Skrulls

* Despite the fact the Skrulls had exiled all their magic-users millennia ago; they became the Dire Wraith.

** From Stark he got the Extremis Nanotech-granted ability to remotely control electronic devices/communications systems.

Sorry to interupt but' date=' didn't the entire Skrull species lost thier shape changing powers a decade back in an Avengers story Arc? Is that still the case or has it been retro'd out of continuity?[/quote']

Their shapeshifting abilities were restored some time ago, actually.

After Galactus devoured the Skrull Homeworld (Fantastic Four vol. 1, #257 [1983]), a Skrull Civil War erupted. It was during this time of civil war that the Skrulls Zabyk and Myrn detonated a genetic "hyperwave bomb" which prevented all Skrulls, everywhere in the universe, from shapeshifting, trapping them in whatever form they occupied at the time (Avengers vol. 1, Annual #14 & Fantastic Four vol. 1, Annual #19 [both 1985]). The Skrull Empire was on the verge of collapse, until Kl'rt the Super-Skrull was rescued from the Van Allen radiation belt, where he had been trapped as a stream of dissociated particles. The Super Skrull was not affected by the "hyperwave bomb," as he was not in physical form at the time of detonation.

After reintegration, the Super Skrull joined forces with the Silver Surfer, who introduced him to S'byll, one of the five claimants to the Skrull Throne. Using Kl'rt as a template, S'byll was able to regain her shapeshifting abilities and then to restore them to all Skrulls (Silver Surfer vol. 3 #25 [1989]). S'byll was then soon acclaimed as the new Empress by the Skrull race, and negotiated a truce with the Kree after defeating them in a decisive battle.

Recently, it's been revealed that the Skrulls -- or at least some Skrulls -- are now able to shapeshift so well that they can fool Wolverine's hyper-senses and Spider-Man's spidey-sense.

Minor Threadjack...The Illuminati? Please tell me that's the name of a newly minted team of super dorks and not that they've been that way all along.

ook

Back to the Skrulls...interestingly boring designs. (not the ones from this thread. The ones in the interview)

Minor Threadjack...The Illuminati? Please tell me that's the name of a newly minted team of super dorks and not that they've been that way all along.

Sorta both, really. They were retconned into existence in mid-2005 (Bendis created them), but have been here for years (since the end of the Kree-Skrull War, 13 years ago "in-game" time). Black Bolt, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Mister Fantastic, Namor, and Prof. Xavier. They've been working behind the scenes, subtly guiding superhuman affairs (which, to me, sounds more like a supervillain thing to do). They split up over the decision to send Hulk into space (which happened not long after we were first told of thier existence, so Marvel made them just to split them up).

They also had a mini-series, where it showed what they'd been doing (in which it was revealed The Beyonder [secret Wars dude] is really just a Mutant Inhuman).

Read more about 'em here.

Back to the Skrulls...interestingly boring designs. (not the ones from this thread. The ones in the interview)

I'm not sure I'd say "boring," but definitely powerful and variable.

A Super-Skrull with the powers of Captain America (well, his training), Giant-Man, Hulk, Thor and Wasp? You'd have a powerful Brick who could also shift size.

A Super-Skrull with the powers of Banshee, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, Sunfire, Thunderbird and Wolverine? A teleporting Brick/Blaster, extremely scary in a fight.

Sorta both, really. They were retconned into existence in mid-2005 (Bendis created them), but have been here for years (since the end of the Kree-Skrull War, 13 years ago "in-game" time). Black Bolt, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Mister Fantastic, Namor, and Prof. Xavier. They've been working behind the scenes, subtly guiding superhuman affairs (which, to me, sounds more like a supervillain thing to do). They split up over the decision to send Hulk into space (which happened not long after we were first told of thier existence, so Marvel made them just to split them up).

They also had a mini-series, where it showed what they'd been doing (in which it was revealed The Beyonder [secret Wars dude] is really just a Mutant Inhuman).

Read more about 'em here.

I'll pass, my marvel days are longs since beyond dead.

I'm not sure I'd say "boring," but definitely powerful and variable.

A Super-Skrull with the powers of Captain America (well, his training), Giant-Man, Hulk, Thor and Wasp? You'd have a powerful Brick who could also shift size.

A Super-Skrull with the powers of Banshee, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, Sunfire, Thunderbird and Wolverine? A teleporting Brick/Blaster, extremely scary in a fight.

No, the concept of "Hey it's a skrull with the powers of Team -X!" is boring.

And all of them should have Wolverine's powers that'd be funny. :lol:

I notice that the two died in thier first appearance, so...boring and ineffective.

And a skrull with the powers of a group that was basically unknown? How'd they do that? He was disguised as Blackbolt for that long? And has a retconned powers device?

Sorry, Dr. Archville, my biases are showing.:o I'll leave this alone now.

And a skrull with the powers of a group that was basically unknown? How'd they do that? He was disguised as Blackbolt for that long? And has a retconned powers device?

Yes, retcons a-plenty -- Bendis/Quesada retconned this group into existing (so we could be 'shocked' when they broke up over how Hulk got mistreated), and it was another retcon when we were told that the guy we (the readers) have thought was Black Bolt has really been a Skrull since 1972. (After the Kree-Skrull War ended, the Illuminati went to the Skrull Homeworld and said "attack Earth again, we'll wipe you out." Skrulls captured them & studied them; they eventually broke out, but the Black Bolt who broke out was really a Skrull impostor and has been all this time. No word on what the status of the real Black Bolt is -- hopefully he wasn't still on the Skrull Homeworld when Galactus devoured it.)

For the Team of Wolverines, check out the new X-Force -- Warpath, Wolfsbane, Wolverine, and X-23. :rolleyes:

Bendis said he was a "Classic X-Men" Skrull... though Colossus wasn't on the Classic Team' date=' he was on the All-New, All-Different team, with Nightcrawler, Storm, Thunderbird, Banshee, Sunfire, and Wolverine).[/quote']

A truly Classic X-Men-y WarSkrull would look like the Mimic, and no one wants that.

Thanks for the update on this storyline, Dr. A, but this looks like a trainwreck I'd just as soon avoid. Seems like everything Bendis writes for the last several years would cause you to flip the table if it were a game.

IMO, Bendis is good on a smaller scale.

Which leaves me scratching my head every time he helms yet another major project...

I hear ya. Used to love the man's work: Goldfish, Jinx, Fortune and Glory, early Powers, Alias, etc. It seems like he hasn't had any editorial oversight in about 4 years, just sycophantic clamoring for more, more, more.

Super-speed from Quicksilver, density powers from Vision, enhanced size changing abilities & mental control of insects from the Pym set. So pretty much a superfast size changing shape-shifting brick who can go desolid. Oh, and do mind control and insect control. Ick.

So, basically the Martian Manhunter, then? Doesn't the Squadron Supreme have a Skrull member with basically this power set?

• 2 weeks later...

LOOK YOU FOOLS, YOU'VE HIJACKED MY THREAD

AND TURNED IT INTO YAMBAF !!

I approve highly, and I'll join in...

* Yet Another Marvel Bash-Fest

I have been doing my homework on the Marvel Galactic scene post Annihilation... taint pretty....

LOOK YOU FOOLS, YOU'VE HIJACKED MY THREAD

AND TURNED IT INTO YAMBAF !!

I approve highly, and I'll join in...

* Yet Another Marvel Bash-Fest

I have been doing my homework on the Marvel Galactic scene post Annihilation... taint pretty....

It ain't pretty, but the Annihilation stories have been about the best thing Marvel has going right now. It's big selling point? It all takes place very, very, very, very, very far from Earth and it's post-Civil War angst.

Okay, this will be uncharacteristically unangry of me.

I like the Superskrull. I like the idea of more superhuman skrulls...heck I liked the Hyperclan (DC's white martian faux heroteam) I just wish that...well the skrulls got beyond their "Team X" fixation. But its not like I can't see why or how it came to pass, it's just kind of silly. Especially since the teams change members so often (with, coincidentally, the exception of the FF) that the poor skrulls constantly have to return to base to have their powers altered ;) and they should all have regeneration, claws and bad hair.

Long ago, when TSR's Marvel Superheroes (Advanced edition) walked the Earth, I had a team of Skrullian "Avengers"; they had mostly received their power via painful and disruptive experimentation, gaining them superpowers but robbing them of their ability to alter their appearance. They also had a Skrullian Sorcerer who preferred a pigmentally altered skrull appearnce (he looked like a star pattered sky - a favorite of mine) and a gifted skrull warrior who could still change shape but tended not to.

So while I poo pooed the X-Skrull and the *shudder* Illuminati skrull; I still think Highly of them as adversaries and the marvel universe (at least the one that still exists in my head) as a keen place to play.