F-Bombs Away!

Marcus Impudite

This one's pretty simple, but it might be interesting anyway:

Assuming there's actually someone who fits the bill for this, what would your character do if a member of his/her group who is normally very straight-laced and polite of speech very suddenly, very loudly, and very publicly dropped the infamous F-bomb? Whether something happened to provoke this or if it they just shouted it out for no obvious reason, I leave up to you. WWYCD?

Re: F-Bombs Away!

This one's pretty simple, but it might be interesting anyway:

Assuming there's actually someone who fits the bill for this, what would your character do if a member of his/her group who is normally very straight-laced and polite of speech very suddenly, very loudly, and very publicly dropped the infamous F-bomb? Whether something happened to provoke this or if it they just shouted it out for no obvious reason, I leave up to you. WWYCD?

Vixen (to Chance): "Dude, are you finally starting to evolve out of being a geek larva?"

Vixen (to Golem): "So, you picked NOW to not be high?"

War Wolf (to anybody): *shrug*

So far, the vast majority of our characters have never met each other. Yeah, its been a struggle.

However, I do believe my character would have a response that might not be very politically correct. He tends to have a skewed view of 'the white folks,' which, as you can imagine, is rough for a black guy living in Aspen.

As a side note' date=' is this just an expression of frustration ("OH F***!"), an intensifier ("That was f***ing awesome.") or a pejorative ("F*** you!")? Or any old F-bomb?[/quote']Since I'd only ever heard of the "N-bomb", I was wondering myself for a while. I believe they're referring to a certain pejorative term for a gay person that a television actor was semi-recently infamous for spewing in a situation where he really really shouldn't have. Could be wrong, but in my circles "Oh f**k" wouldn't warrant a raised eyebrow much less the term "bomb".

Since I'd only ever heard of the "N-bomb"' date=' I was wondering myself for a while. I believe they're referring to a certain pejorative term for a gay person that a television actor was semi-recently infamous for spewing in a situation where he really really shouldn't have. Could be wrong, but in my circles "Oh f**k" wouldn't warrant a raised eyebrow much less the term "bomb".[/quote']

AFAIK, F-Bomb refers solely to the word f**k ... then again, I use that version of the F-Bomb, whereas I've never used the F-word for homosexuals, and could be out of that loop.

AFAIK' date=' F-Bomb refers solely to the word f**k ... then again, I use that version of the F-Bomb, whereas I've never used the F-word for homosexuals, and could be out of that loop.[/quote']A quick Google says you're right. Seems like it's used when someone says it while being broadcast... so the "very publicly" in the OP is important I guess. Sorry I misunderstood.

A lot of people who never seem to swear are actually saving profanities for extreme situations; potency and the satisfaction from using them do diminish with frequency. Unless the character had expressed disapproval for someone else using the word in the past, any of my characters would just assume it was a case of hoarded emphasis.

Given the things Vitus said to a journalist, about his sister, his wife, and his mother, on live TV, in front of an international press conference, I doubt he'd be do more than raise an eyebrow if someone else on the team said a mere old Anglo-Saxon expletive. Indeed, he's surprised they don't say it more often, especially in his direction.

Zero would blink and blush. Unless it was Stentorian yelling it, in which case the exploding building, earthquake, and burst eardrums would be of more pressing concern.

Iron Alloy would blink very quickly in shock, try to do her best to cover for whomever it was and then try to get to the bottom of why they did that later on.

Darkness...would do nothing overt but have Imp monitor them for other odd behavior for the next few weeks.

In RL, I drop the f-bomb often enough that I'm sometimes shocked I haven't been called to the Hague to face charges of blatant WMD usage. So as a player it wouldn't even register unless someone specifically pointed it out. Even then I'd probably just shrug. So I haven't the faintest clue what any of my characters would do. :think:

All but Eve: If it wasn't blatantly unusual not care. If the just blurted it out for no apparent reason or in a completely inappropriate situation, talk to them about the incident and proceed from there.

Eve: Gasp,cover her mouth and giggle.

Only one of my characters is reluctant to ever use the word. Black Tiger uses it a lot. Futurian uses it every so often. Olorin uses it occasionally, as he does every other swear word ever uttered in English, French, Latin, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (mandarin), Arabic, Russian and at least 10 languages he knows from his world (Elvish, Orcish, Dwarvish, etc.) He does not swear often, but he knows the words and uses them occasionally. He has his favorite in his own language every so often, but "It loses a lot in the translation."

Volt however is a different story. If he used the f-bomb in any other way than to prove he knows it would show he is really upset. Not a mind control issue, but would suprise everyone. If he used it a lot, they would suspect mind control or an imposter.

In RL' date=' I drop the f-bomb often enough that I'm sometimes shocked I haven't been called to the Hague to face charges of blatant WMD usage. So as a player it wouldn't even register unless someone specifically pointed it out. Even then I'd probably just shrug. So I haven't the faintest clue what any of my characters would do. :think:[/quote']

Heh. One thing I often do with a character is make it a point to mention that they never actually swear; minced oaths at best. Then, when they *do* swear, it's basically his way of saying 'something's up' without tipping off people who don't know him well.

Badger- wouldnt make much of an issue. He doesnt care about his teammates personal lives of any sort generally as long as it doesnt affect their fighting abilities.

Frosty Bob- he cusses so much, he likely wouldnt even notice. ;)

In RL' date=' I drop the f-bomb often enough that I'm sometimes shocked I haven't been called to the Hague to face charges of blatant WMD usage. So as a player it wouldn't even register unless someone specifically pointed it out. Even then I'd probably just shrug. So I haven't the faintest clue what any of my characters would do. :think:[/quote']

I cuss a little (usually more when mad/driving). I will say my mother never cusses (she might use darn, maybe even a dern once in a great while :P) if she were to use even damn I'd be :eek:

Note: My mother mentioned one time that if she were sick in the hospital and out of her head, that if she were to start saying swear words that I explain she isnt normally like that. :)