Your FIRST Super Hero Character

Pattern Ghost

Re: Your FIRST Super Hero Character

The Professor - a super-genius who loved nothing more than wrapping world governments around his little finger with carefully restricted super-tech access. Considerable defenses. He also had another power that he never dared use - a zero-range energy blast sufficient to scour the continent of Australia down to the magma.

The GM ran us through a Forge of God scenario, and we screwed up big time. My PC disowned the handful of human survivors, and moved to the Oceans of Mars to breed dolphins.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My very first superhero was me with a towel tied around my neck. A coupla buddies and I tied towels around our necks one day and we spent the afternoon jumping off a shed trying to stay in the air. At seven years of age I learned the sad truth: Humans make terrible birds.

Years later I was learning to draw and came up with these guys (done in Fabrique du Herois now, but at one time hand-drawn, albeit poorly).

I present my first superteam (created in 1972 or 1973):

FistMan.png

Fist-man*

An Homage to Popeye

NoseMan.png

Nose-man*

An homage to Sam Valiant, Private Nose

(And my friend from High School, Ron Freas)

ProfEMC2.pngC3174.png

Professor E=MC² and Robot C3174

A Mad Doctor Sworn to uphold the Good and

the Best Friend he could possibly build.

Superguy.png

Superguy*

Basically a hippie Superman.

* Yeah, I wasn't very good at coming up with names back then.

Hard to remember.

I had a superhero for Superhero2044 named Exile. He was an alien prince who'd lost his kingdom and become a sort of gladiator before coming to Earth.

I had a champions "Frost Giant" knock-off because Growth seemed like a cool power.

I had a character in V&V named Prism, who was essentially if you took Iceman (Bobby Drake) and put inside that cold exterior a live flame. I think I'd named him Equinox and then the GM showed up next game with a character named equinox and claimed he'd made that earlier (even though he hadn't mentioned it when I made the character with him and named it), so I gave him a new name.

I think that may be the first one. Prism.

Between being a player and a GM for superhero games, I've literally made hundreds, possibly thousands, so it's tough to recall which was first.

I had a character in V&V named Prism' date=' who was essentially if you took Iceman (Bobby Drake) and put inside that cold exterior a live flame. I think I'd named him Equinox and then the GM showed up next game with a character named equinox and claimed he'd made that earlier (even though he hadn't mentioned it when I made the character with him and named it), so I gave him a new name.[/quote']

Had either of you read Marvel Team Up #23 recently or is that just one funky coincidence?

http://en.marveldatabase.com/Equinox

My first super character was from a V&V game based upon ourselves, as adults since I was 13 at the time.

The character stats were basically standard human guy nothing special with a nudge towards Dex as I could juggle, balance, and walk a tight rope in real life (got accepted to B&B clown school:)...with the super power of speed/running, 100+mph if I remember right.

The Fury was the characters' name, as in the Baseball Furies from Warriors a weekly midnight movie habit. He used modified baseball, hockey, football equipment for "armor" and carried a metal baseball bat...basically do the moveby and take a swing for the fences. We were granted a few points of relavant stats boost to represent our time spent at super boot camp.

But basically a guy in good shape, with decent light armor, a metal bat, the will to use it, and could run 100+mph.

Tada

Atomic Ray

The first super I remember making up was Super-Star. He could fight better than Batman and was stronger than Superman. Of course those were the two supers that everyone else wanted to be so mine had to be better. If anyone remembers the action figures that used to come with a rubber harness that you could attach a piece of fabric to to make a parachute, that was what Super-Star looked like. White body, with a blue stripe down the arms and and legs white stars on the the stripes. He had a red helmet and goggles.

Had either of you read Marvel Team Up #23 recently or is that just one funky coincidence?

http://en.marveldatabase.com/Equinox

I got the name from in science class earlier that week. Dunno where he got it. But my vision for my character was more if the ghost rider were completely encased in ice. I just had that image of him as a sort of prisoner; a being who would wholly combust if not contained in ice. His Equinox was a good/evil, light/darkness thing.

I can't remember if my guy was like that on purpose or accident. I think if i were writing it now, the ice would be the means he used to keep his fire under control rather than a means others used.

When I first started reading superhero comics (forty mumble odd years ago !) I remember coming up with a character called "Firebird" who had a medaliion on his chest (maybe I was influenced by "Prince Planet" ?) that enabled him to fly, create a force field and had blasts of energy. Like "Green Lasntern's " ring it needed periodic recharging. Apart from him having a red and yellow costume I don't remember anything else about him !

The first superhero I played in a role playing game was a character called "Libra" who had the ability to affect people's (and object's) sense of balance (kind of a T K variant I guess).

I think my first superhero, after I tired of being Spiderman, was designed after seeing my friend's older brother's KISS poster, basically, I riffed off of Space Ace and created a blue, silver, and black clad superman pastiche with white face make up with a silver star on his face. He was Galaxian.

he could also speak any language and summon cosmic energy like Green Lantern. What? ME? Powergame?

I started reading comics in the mid 80's (just after Rogue joined the X-Men). Somehow, I developed the idea of a mutant who had control over heat--he could absorb it, project it, use it to fly, and do all sorts of other little tricks with it. As time went on, I came up with all sorts of things he could do, most rather mundane, but a few that were (I thought) really creative. But mostly is was just something I kept in my head.

It was probably three or four years after first having this idea that I was introduced to Champions by my first college roommate. Naturally, the first character I built was an attempt to re-create this character that had been living in my mind for the past few years.

Alas, between A) my inexperience with the system, and B) the fact that this character effectively had four years' worth of XP saved up (characters were built on 250 back then), what I came up with wasn't even close. I named him Quasar, played him a couple of times, and ended up giving him to someone else who was joining the game.

I replaced Quasar with a mentalist called Impulse, who I wouldn't mind playing again some time.

Well, if we're going to do pictures.....

Quasar

QuasarFH.PNG

Impulse

ImpulsFH.PNG

Of course, I already posted these in the "DC Animated Hero Machine" thread, but it seemed appropriate to put them up here, too. Enjoy!

First hero I made was a guy called Radon.

Irradiated by an unknown element from space. Hans Blicker underwent a change that left him dangerously radioactive. Forced to live inside a rad-proof room. Hans got bored. Quickly. Being the genius he is he quickly found a way to use his own fissile nature to create a suit that harnessed his nigh endless energy potential.

Thus was born the super-hero Radon. A flying energy projector with a huge recovery, energy blasts, a tendency to push his attacks and a suit of armour that could withstand a shot from a main battle tank... for a while (goddamn ablative.)

He became infamous for 2 hitting a dragon (Pushed, haymakered, RKA and got lucky on the stun multiplier roll) and almost killing Onslaught (goddamn 'bricks' with low Resistant defenses). Got charged with Assault after he was caught on national TV kicking the crap out of a knocked out Blowtorch, stopping to wave at the cameras, then continuing.

Arrogant, Over-confidant bastard with serious issues. God, I loved him.

I remember the awful 'blank page' feeling the first time I played Champions--"You mean I don't just roll dice to see what happens?" Kind of amazing to think that 25 years later I'm still playing it.

I guess I was obsessed with crossbows. 'AIM' was a wholly unoriginal crossbow-toting hero wearing blue tights with a crosshairs on his chest.

Did he have motivation, a background, hopes and dreams? Nope. Just a 4d6 RKA.

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky, my first superhero was thought up back when the most consistent exposure I'd had to superheroes was watching a few reruns of The Incredible Hulk. It was also the first character I ever made for anything ever! The thing that most influenced me was the sad piano at the end of every episode. Hence my character being kind of maudlin. Not emo, just maudlin. I love that word. Maudlin.

Anyway, He was called John Mackenzie. He didn't have a superhero name because I thought of a couple and then realised that he wouldn't use a secret ID even if he could. John worked a cash register at an organic supermarket. He and his coworkers lost their jobs because a faceless corporation bought the building to use as a lab for animal testing.

John and his friends were very liberal and they were fine with losing their jobs but they had to protest the animal testing lab. Rather than hang around outside, John led them right into the main building, arriving first, with a placard, on a gangway above the lab floor and its vats of animals being kept alive but unconscious in green goo of some kind. A security guard tried to convince them to leave, without speaking, by grasping John's placard and pushing him back towards the exit, while the scientists looked on with concern (Note how no one in my origin is really to blame, they're all nice guys, even if they happen to be opposed in opinion). Unfortunately,John didn't want to leave without making his point, so he stepped slightly around the guard, at which point they both stumbled, John let go of the placard so as not to drag the guard down with him as he fell backwards over the safety rail. (It was perfectly safe as a rail, but John was quite tall, and caught his lower back on it in a position that let him slip over.) He fell, landing in the green goo on his back, by coincidence, landing on the eagle that was also floating in the pool. The goo knocked him out, (It was high tech goo or something) and only the fact that he was floating on the eagle, whose wings were spread and thus provided greater surface per weight or something, kept his face out of the goo. When they finally managed to safely shut down the vat and drain it, to get to him, it was too late. He woke from a coma a week later. He was in a hospital. His back felt very funny. A doctor came over and explained that there had been a reaction of human DNA to the goo. He had fused with the eagle. Its wings were now his wings along with almost the eagles entire muscle structure, so his wings were strong enough to carry him. He had another shock when he was shown his new taloned birds feet. They were luckily strong enough to support his weight. This was was the time he chose to open his second eyes and squawk. Yup, the eagle's face, feathers beak and all, had fused with the back of his head, leaving him with eyes in the back of his head, a superstrong beak, and a dual brain, one half of which was ruled by an eagle's instinct. From then on he grew to love flying, regularly brooded about his condition (but only when he was alone and, for some reason, only when he was perched in a tree) and couldn't stop feeding his eagle face with live mice(sometimes right in front of people, forgetting that this was a bird thing, not a person thing) and making mating calls at people he hated or squawking harshly at people he disliked, even if it would be better not to let them know.

He wasn't exactly a powerful superhero. The limit of his ability was flying around, slightly over a roof to stop people spotting him, then if he saw a mugger, he would swoop down from behind (he wasn't bulletproof or armoured and he definitely wasn't a masochist) and grab them with one hand under each arm. Then he flew up high to scare them, sometimes leaving them dangling from a steeple of flagpole or something, letting someone else phone the police when they saw the crook. Mind you, he lived and worked in a nice american suburb, so there was hardly any crime besides teen vandals. And the fact that he was a winged man who saved people and lived in an area that I think I saw as a southern suburb, meant that there were probably people who saw him as an angel, even though he said he was still just John Mackenzie.