Your FIRST Super Hero Character

Pattern Ghost

OK, let's hop into the WAY wayback machine and see what our FIRST superhero characters were.

I'm not talking about the first one you played in an RPG, but the first superhero you EVER created. For a lot of us, that'd actually predate the entire RPG hobby. Of course, if your first superhero was actually created for an RPG, go ahead and share.

My first character was:

The Blue Comet!

Created: c. 1974

Inspiration: My blue PJ's with a comet on the chest, and static electricity.

Appearance: Blue body suit (with feet), with a comet on the chest. Built like George Reeves version of Superman.

Powers: The Blue Comet could fly, and smash through stuff, especially stacked cardboard boxes. He had a personal force field that sparked like blue static electric sparks when hit.

Equipment: As a member of the Space Patrol, The Blue Comet had a personal space fighter.

Affiliations: Member of the Space Patrol. Sometimes partner of the Cougar Kid. (My brother's creation.)

He was my first, though later the same year or early the next, saw the creation of the Cobra Kid, later upgraded to King Cobra. More on him later.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Your FIRST Super Hero Character

The Fireball Flan Man, a little cartoon I drew in the seventies. Short, round guy with a cape and goggles; fire-based powers and flight, of course... Probably inspired by the telly show TISWAS and their character The Phantom Flan Flinger as I can't imagine why else I'd have been so interested in flans at such a young age :D

He later became the villain in a series of strips I drew about Wonder Vicar, a fairly ludicrous hero idea dreamt up with a friend when he was ill-advisedly cast in the school play as a vicar and dressed up in rather flowing black cloak. Ah, schooldays.... ;)

FIREBIRD: He was a super-speedster with flame powers and martial arts. This was in Champions little blue book days' date=' so from the start of HERO.[/quote']

When I was Little and we played superheroes Firebird was the character I made up. He was on fire ala the human torch, could fly, and could control & talk to birds (lame but he was mine)

Er, I think I remember pretending I had flying squirrel powers when I was 6 or 7, but I didn't call myself Squirrel Boy or anything. I DID love to climb trees, though.

I stuck with the animal theme though, the first 'bona-fide' superhero I can remember making up, maybe 1973 or so, was Manta Ray, who could breathe water and had a cool 'Manta Suit' that let him swim fast, fly, and shoot lightning bolts from those horns or whatever they are that mantas have. Okay, maybe my idea for the suit didn't LOOK cool. But it WAS cool.

Oh wow... coincidentally, I just was reminded of this one a couple of months ago. Before that I would have said it was Captain Photon (whom I've previously discussed a few times in this forum), but now it's...

Electrycyty Man! As described at the time (1970, age 9) he "atracts [sic] electricity from electrics or element metals." I think what I had in mind at the time was that he could then use the electricity as a weapon.

Finding this brought me back so abruptly that I wrote him up in an updated form for the most recent Haymaker!.

That would be Fearless Man--a take-off on George Reeves' Superman. White tights, blue trunks, red cape and boots, and a triangular emblem with a block-letter "F" on his chest.

He was also the first character I ever had published--if you count having your drawings mounted on the wall of your second-grade classroom to be published.

Years later, I drew him up for a playtest of the SKETCH RPG--unfortunately he lost to a character with a big claw-hammer for a head. I still say I was robbed--oh well. . .:straight:

Guest steamteck

it was for me THE GORILLA around 1963 when I was 5 or so.. He was a gorilla who was accidentally hit by an "evolvo ray". he was a talking gorilla maybe as strong and tough as the Thing( Ben Grimm). He's showed up in various more sophisticated incarnations in most of my campaigns.

Dang, my first ever super hero would have been my one and only Champions character, a brick named Vanguard. Played him once.

As far as childhood goes, I didn't do superhero. I did (kaiju?) big monsters that stomped down the cities of my toy army men. The earliest ones were rip-offs of Ultraman and Godzilla. I don't think I ever named any of them, but I played for hours knocking down Linkin Log buildings and stacked boxes swarming with cheap little Army men. Always with that little-kid-trying-to-sound-scary RAAARRRR. :D

I don't recall the actual name of my first superhero, but I recall thinking him up when I was around ten. He was about about my age who found a magical trident which gave him the powers of Poisiden. As I recall he could control water, survive underwater indefinetly and I think the trident shot energy blasts too but I'm not sure.

I recall him having partners with magical objects derived from Zeus and Hades, but I couldn't tell you more then that.

What can I say, I was a kid who loved the water and was really into Greek Mythology.

Mucus Man: A humanoid blob of mucus. He could throw parts of his body, could phase through objects (and effectively "float" through them), and objects would pass through him without effect. He could also shoot purple laser beams from his eyes. Partnered up with Velcro Man and Claw Guy. Created in 1983 or so.

Dang, my first ever super hero would have been my one and only Champions character, a brick named Vanguard. Played him once.

As far as childhood goes, I didn't do superhero. I did (kaiju?) big monsters that stomped down the cities of my toy army men. The earliest ones were rip-offs of Ultraman and Godzilla. I don't think I ever named any of them, but I played for hours knocking down Linkin Log buildings and stacked boxes swarming with cheap little Army men. Always with that little-kid-trying-to-sound-scary RAAARRRR. :D

I always thought of Ultraman as a superhero.

dang, My First Ever Super Hero Would Have Been My One And Only Champions Character, A Brick Named Vanguard. Played Him Once.

As Far As Childhood Goes, I Didn't Do Superhero. I Did (kaiju?) Big Monsters That Stomped Down The Cities Of My Toy Army Men. The Earliest Ones Were Rip-offs Of Ultraman And Godzilla. I Don't Think I Ever Named Any Of Them, But I Played For Hours Knocking Down Linkin Log Buildings And Stacked Boxes Swarming With Cheap Little Army Men. Always With That Little-kid-trying-to-sound-scary Raaarrrr. :D

would This Be The Same Vanguard who Was In The Book Golden Age Of Champions Or One Of His Grandchilderen?

I started reading comics in the mid 80's (just after Rogue joined the X-Men). Somehow, I developed the idea of a mutant who had control over heat--he could absorb it, project it, use it to fly, and do all sorts of other little tricks with it. As time went on, I came up with all sorts of things he could do, most rather mundane, but a few that were (I thought) really creative. But mostly is was just something I kept in my head.

It was probably three or four years after first having this idea that I was introduced to Champions by my first college roommate. Naturally, the first character I built was an attempt to re-create this character that had been living in my mind for the past few years.

Alas, between A) my inexperience with the system, and B) the fact that this character effectively had four years' worth of XP saved up (characters were built on 250 back then), what I came up with wasn't even close. I named him Quasar, played him a couple of times, and ended up giving him to someone else who was joining the game.

I replaced Quasar with a mentalist called Impulse, who I wouldn't mind playing again some time.

Hmm... first actual superhero was created not for RPG but just for playing make-believe with my siblings and the neighbor kids. We frequently played existing comic book characters (Fantastic Four, Batman, etc.) and as the youngest I often got stuck playing Robin. So I decided to create a new sidekick, Raven, who wasn't quite so lame. Didn't last long, but there it was.

Around the same time, the Six Million Dollar Man was on TV, and I drew up a series of comic strips featuring the Bionic Tooth. ("We can make him faster... stronger... whiter..."). Had a whole stack of them, probably over 100. I really wish they hadn't gotten lost when I moved after graduating HS.

My first Champions character was GI Jones, where I learned that Hunted by VIPER + DNPCs + Public Identity = one dead family.

First one I named was an Abberant character named Paladine.

But as a child playing, pretty much anything became Super . I never was allowed to collect comics, as that required spending money. But I watched plenty of Superfriends, Spiderman and his amazing friends, Incredible Hulk, George Reeves Superman, Adam West Batman, etc. And while I thought most of them were cool, they weren't Superman. He flew and picked up mountains by the peak.

So my Snoopy stuffie became Super Snoopy, teddy bears became Super Bear, lego men became Super Legoman, etc.

would This Be The Same Vanguard who Was In The Book Golden Age Of Champions Or One Of His Grandchilderen?
Uh neither. I got this piece of art from a guy at a local comics convention. It looked like a Colossus meets Deadpool riff. Sort of. When I learned about Champions, this was the character I was going to play. Before I even knew what a "brick" was I had designed him and played him through one whole fight. I had a lot of joy picking up and throwing a vehicle to intercept Grond in mid jump. In the end, he won out the slugfest, but was barely standing. Great times.

The first superhero I remember creating was named Golden Eagle. I drew a picture of him. He had a green bodysuit with an ornate gold eagle on his chest. I think he had wings under his arms, like Marvel's Falcon, but I don't remember for sure. I have no idea what his powers were. I'm guessing flight and super strength. I must've been maybe... 7 years old, I guess. :think:

There may have been others before that, but he's the first one I remember (and not that clearly).

I don't know if these are truly the first characters I created, but they're my earliest memories of new characters. I was about seven to eight years old, but I'm not completely sure.

The names were something along the lines of Ice Girl & Fire Boy (or vice versa, can't remember), and their super dog, Inviso. These characters stand out in my mind because I talked my dad into drawing a picture of them for me, and he did this large sketch on a piece of blueprint sized paper. I remember Inviso more vividly than the humans. He was a Siberian husky that had the faded effect in the back half that comics often used to represent The Invisible Girl.

They were a brother/ sister team along the lines of the Wonder Twins. Except they were cool.

That's awesome. It's cool that dads do that sort of thing from time to time. Mine told me stories of his youth and his family's migration from Oklahoma to California during the Great Depression and everything that happened after. Any talent I have at telling stories is directly inherited from him.

I was three and had a character Who was me but supermanish with energy hands instead of those eye beams. by the time I was four his name was Shrapnel and I had created an entire world of characters that coninually got added to. Actually I think I have bits and pieces from the comix and the like that I used to draw of them, somewhere around here.