Your FIRST Super Hero Character

Pattern Ghost

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Your FIRST Super Hero Character

Took me awhile to find my first character tucked away in my brain. I made the character for the MSH Basic game circa 84ish (I would have been around 12). His name was the The Madman and he was an amalgamation of the Hulk and Doc Samson (surprise), my two favorite characters at the time. He was a Psychiatrist who did research on how people obtained super strength during times of great stress (yep, right out of the Hulk TV show). His key power was similar to the Hulk with small differences. He could increase his strength at will, but the stronger he got, the crazier he got. I also remember describing him as getting larger and more muscular as his strength (and insanity) increased.

Well, I'd love to have a character as original as many here, but the first time I created a character was the day a friend (Thank you, Matt!) introduced me to Champions in, probably, 1983. And that character could be none other than a Captain America riff. Steve Rogers was the man. And then they killed him. Bastards.

VtR

That's awesome. It's cool that dads do that sort of thing from time to time. Mine told me stories of his youth and his family's migration from Oklahoma to California during the Great Depression and everything that happened after. Any talent I have at telling stories is directly inherited from him.
After conjuring up this story I dreamt last night that my dad still had that picture and he gave it to me.

After conjuring up this story I dreamt last night that my dad still had that picture and he gave it to me.

Good, the beta version of my Dream Machine appears to be working. (It's built as Mental Illusions, Dreams only, IAF: Hero Boards.)

Let me know if anybody has dreams involving Teryl Rothery and a big vat of chocolate pudding tonight, will you?

Good, the beta version of my Dream Machine appears to be working. (It's built as Mental Illusions, Dreams only, IAF: Hero Boards.)

Let me know if anybody has dreams involving Teryl Rothery and a big vat of chocolate pudding tonight, will you?

Hmm, I think I'll be removing the tin foil hat for tonight.

I can't remember. There were so many, and they were all so so cheesy.

If I had to guess I'd say The 16-Ton Man, c1992. Basically, he was all but impervious to conventional weaponry, able to lift 16 tons with minimal effort (hence his name), and when he covered himself in his cape he could withstand a 20 megaton nuclear bomb without a scratch.

However, he ultimately lost to his greatest foe, literacy.

Sunburst

Created: c. 1991

Inspiration: Starman (Will Payton @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starman_%28comics%29#Will_Payton)

Appearance: Superhuman silhouette sheathed in flame.

Powers: Brick, Energy Projector, and Flyer.

Equipment: Triskelion Legion Communicator

Affiliations: Triskelion Legion

Cheers

QM

Ell Cricketo

Ell Cricketo

Cricketa.JPG

this is an approximation. we played with Mego Action figures in grade school,

and I hacked up a bunch of them and made the Cricket.

painted the face black and stuck pins in the head for antennae.

he could jump, dig, fly, and communicate ultrasonically.

and yes, this was before I discovered the Hero System...

Your machine failed last night! :mad:

I'm so disappointed. :(

I can't remember. There were so many, and they were all so so cheesy.

If I had to guess I'd say The 16-Ton Man, c1992. Basically, he was all but impervious to conventional weaponry, able to lift 16 tons with minimal effort (hence his name), and when he covered himself in his cape he could withstand a 20 megaton nuclear bomb without a scratch.

However, he ultimately lost to his greatest foe, literacy.

Kurss yuu, literacy!

Spider-boy!: the first made up superhero I can remember was basically me, with Spideys powers and a bright red cape that I could use to fly like Superman. Oh, and I had a yellow utility belt filled with tiny "zoo pellets" that turned into animals when I threw them on the ground. Of course, it had every other useful gadget that a super hero could possibly need. Guess where I got that idea from?

I think I was about 5 or 6 at the time. My mother probably has a picture of me somewhere, in Spider-man PJ's, wearing a black and blue ski mask, with a blanket around my neck. My uncle helped with my utility belt, which was a real belt with pouches made out of cut up Kleenex boxes filled with plastic animal toys :)

The first super hero I ever made for an RPG was randomly rolled up in the Marvel Superhero game. I ended up with Remarkable (30) Strength, Incredible (40) Agility, Wind Manipulation, Force Field Generation and Shape Shifting.

Since this character made almost no sense at all, we decided that most of his seemingly random powers were actually some how absorbed/duplicated from other supers. We ended up calling him Copy Cat.

Because of the Mystique-esque Shape Shifting, the character could look any way I wanted. He spent most of his time looking like a burly 7' tall Apache male, because I was really obsessed with finding out about my Native American heritage at the time.

half of my childhood ones had something to do with my hair i think i used to run around in a teeshirt with the letters BBB on it which had a dual meaning bog brush boy which was one of my more offensive nicknames at school(they can't use it if you do bwahhahaah at least that was the theory)

later i was known as the BIONIC SHEEP

i remember The Rocketeer having a profound effect on me i took my popcorn bucket home and constructed a helmet and rocket pack.

i used to play Flash Gordon(damn you BBC2 for showing RKO serials in the school holidays) type games as a kid too making space ship controls out of busted TV's etc i found in the street.

Well, when I was a wee one of 6 or 7 when playing make believe I used to pretend I was a talking polar bear with a scorpion tail. Does that count. :confused:

Note: Just remembered a teeny bit more, he did have insane amount of strength (more so than a regular bear, for sure, in HERO terms possibly even close to 100, without looking up any strength charts of course.) And he stood on his back legs (remember he was a sentient polar bear after all)

Note: Upon thinking a little more of a lizard tail at first. Even being green compared to the polar bear white fur that covered the rest of the body. Was used for sweeps to take the feet out from under opponents.

That's awesome. It's cool that dads do that sort of thing from time to time. Mine told me stories of his youth and his family's migration from Oklahoma to California during the Great Depression and everything that happened after. Any talent I have at telling stories is directly inherited from him.

Yeah, my dad told a lot of stories of his youth.

Kurss yuu' date=' literacy![/quote']

You know, the sad thing is I can actually see some of my neighbors screaming that. :(

Note: Especially some guy living in the neighboring trailer park, circa 15 years ago. Who tried to convince his wife from leaving him by screaming "I cant even think on my own" (Her response was "Tough";))

ooh, I remember my first really put together one (about 6 months or so after the first I mentioned).

The Wild Swordsman- I took a an afghan blanket my parents used to cover the couch, and put it over my body covering me to my ankles (had holes all over so seeing wasnt a problem. Then I put one of my grandpa's old fisherman hats (in this case yellow, with brown bands around it). I even made a "scimitar" out of cardboard later on to add to the effect. Looking on it now in playing it was a little like Zorro in feel. Given the way I ran around in the persona, I would give him some serious acrobatics. :doi: Not to mention his master CSLs with scimitars.

In reality, I guess it would be an escaped mental patient. :thumbup:

Note: He also had a sentient panther that did a lot of his scout work. This actually was my cat (then 1 year old plus) who generally didnt want to play the part and in fact occasionally attacked his master. :D

I'd do a write-up for 16-Ton Man, sure. Might need to give him more than the standard points to reflect how broken and cheesy he was though.

EDIT- Also, my first superhero RPG character... TT, it's Mr. Nonsense, who basically had a variety of bizarre powers, such as an indirect EB that could take the form of just about any object he could think of (such as a "Stop! You Idiot!" sign), teleportation, limited passive danger sense, the ability to 'rewind' and 'fast forward' time (basically looking over events in the past and future), as well as the ability to seemingly summon any foodstuff from his jacket (this isn't actually how his power worked, but it looked like that's what he was doing). He was also the embodiment of insanity, wearing bizarre clothing (once described as looking like a "Clown Pimp") and doing things that would make Deadpool say "man, that dude's nuts."

In City of Heroes, it was The BDSM Avenger, who essentially looked like a Dominatrix. Besides her name (which was never changed by the mods!) and outfit there was nothing racy about her (her quips were nothing more suggestive than "Time for some punishment!" and "You can't hit harder than that?"). She was basically a Bat-hero power-wise, having no actual powers just being very very good at fighting and taking a hit (SS/Invuln tank).

My first "super hero" was A rip-off (homage?) of King Kong named Bing Bong. I was at most 5. My first true hero was The helper. Created as a deus ex machina only in the seventies. Way too powerful to use as anything else. Would give Q from STNG pause. Would be about 100,00 point cosmic vpp(or more), no control roll in Hero terms. Still pops up every so often, mainly as a mind boggler, not as a solution to problems in campaigns I run. First Hero game super was Volt, lightning energy caster, 65 years old with a big gut on him. (I liked the idea of a non-sleek, non-young hero)

My first character was at Pacificon-Origins after I bought the rules on Sunday. Some one wanted characters that were not putzs in tight.

A'lan was an alien (orange skin, webbed ears), with 14 dice mind control, mental illusion, mind scan, and telepathy. and 10 strength TK. He strolled around in a suit. He had just landed.

If someone had given him a break, he would of eventually fell into a more superheroic pattern. However the two GMs that played him, kept him living "in the crime circles", so I learned about pimping, cons, and so on. So I never got him "into the supers life" and kept stumbling over violent situations he would help out with.

So from there, I made sure that all characters were obviously costume clad crusaders.

It's fun reading others' entries to this.

I don't remember the superheroes I played as a young kid, but they were probably all derivative from the DC or Marvel universes. The first superhero character that I made for Champions (at least that I remember) was Time Tripper, back in the early '80's. He was a time traveling teleporter that picked up some very useful technology on his travels, including an autofire flechette stun-only weapon, an anti-grav belt, some nifty mini-grenades. We had to play a little bit loose with the rules, as Extra Dimensional Movement wasn't invented yet, but eventually a time travel advantage came out in one of the early Adventurer's Clubs. The time travel bit only created some great story-lines, and had little affect on the combat. I played him in our home games and at some Cons, but he was a bit under-powered compared to everyone else. Still, he was fun to play! :)

Jim