Ideas for combat runes

Eosin

So, I am looking for ideas for some runes. Ideally, I'd like these to be attached to a shield, sword, or even a tattoo that can be triggered in combat.

Anyone have some good ideas?

1. Rune of Strength, +20 STR: trigger: touch the rune (half move or fast draw). Instantaneous.

2. Rune of Defense, Desolid: trigger, 1 round.

Give me some ideas here....

thanks.

Re: Ideas for combat runes

So, I am looking for ideas for some runes. Ideally, I'd like these to be attached to a shield, sword, or even a tattoo that can be triggered in combat.

Hmmmm.....The only thing that springs to mind (at least at the moment) is:

"Rune Of Attack": EB (xD6) - no range; triggered, instant; recoverable charge

The idea being that the wielder of the sword the rune is inscribed on triggers it

as they are striking the opponent, doing additional damage to the target.

Just my initial $.02US.

-Carl-

Rune of Betrayal/Malice, Deadly Blow, Note: Used properly it will help slay a foe for an act of betrayal or unusual malice, but if used unjustly or called upon too often, will lead the caster towards malice and being betrayed. Side Effect: Slowly transforms the wielder into malicious being worthy of having this rune used against him.

Here are a couple of Earth Based Ideas:

Earth Wall: FW (8 PD/8 ED) (Opaque Sight Group), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (62 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), OIF (Must Have A Rune Inscribed Focus; -1/2), Requires A Rune Magic Roll (-1/2), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4)

The caster must etch a line in the ground. This causes the earth/stone to burst forth raising a wall over the area so etched. Normally this will be a three hex-side area done with the sweep of a sword, stick, or other hand held item. The rune itself need not be inscribed on the item but the rune must be in contact with the caster. The wall is about 4-5 feet thick (which is how I arrived at the approx. DEF values). The caster must be able to mark the ground so this won't work on a wooden floor, the deck of a ship, while in the water, etc.

Earth Ram: EB 8d6, Area Of Effect (16" Line; +1) (80 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), OIF (Must Have A Rune Inscribed Focus; -1/2), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4)

Most of the limitations of the Earth Wall apply to this spell as well. The effect is that the caster jabs or marks the ground causing an ram of earth to burst forth in a straight line.

Is this the sort of stuff you are looking for? If it is I will think a while and try to come up with some others. Based on your examples you may only be interested in SFX that apply to the user only and not his surroundings.

EDIT: I am also guessing on the sorts of stuff you are looking for based on my meta-game knowledge of our home campaign. I surmise that this is arising from Jeff wanting a character reminiscent of of the characters from the anime Full Metal Alchemist, who are alchemists in name only. All of their magic is based on the symbols that they employ. Transmutation magic that relies on a symbol focus. The spells I listed above are similar to effects from a couple of episodes that I have seen. I can see your challenge here, you need something that will fit with your campaign while trying to achieve something that will satisfy what Jeff wants in a character.

I created a Rune Master character some time ago. He acted sort of like a D&D Sorcerer.

Here are his spells. Though they'll need adapting by the look of it.

Rune of Shadows: Invisibility to Sight and Mystic Groups , 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (Recovers the next day; +0), Usable By Other (+1/4) (31 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Inscribed Rune; -1)

Rune of Lightning: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (135 Active Points); 3 Recoverable Charges (Recovers the next day; -1), OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1)

Rune of Agility: Aid Dexterity 4d6, Usable By Other (+1/4) (50 Active Points); 2 Recoverable Charges (Recovers the next day; -1 1/4), OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Inscribed Rune; -1)

Rune of Protection: Armor (10 PD/5 ED), Usable By Other (+1/4) (28 Active Points); OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Inscribed Rune; -1), 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/2)

Minor runes: Variable Power Pool, 10 base + 1 control cost, (15 Active Points); 2 Recoverable Charges (Recovers the next day; -1 1/4), OAF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Inscribed Rune; -1), Limited Power Must define powers when charges recover (-1/4), Limited Class Of Powers Available Slightly Limited (-1/4)

Other than that I thought of Rune Magic being basically a written language that followed certain rules. Depending on how it was drawn a Rune of Water might unleash a blast of water or might grant the Rune Master the ability to breathe underwater. The Rune of Fire could be used to detect, throw or protect against fire and so on.

That could be represented with very specific multipowers I suppose but it is probably too much hassle. The alternative would be to allow a Rune Master to learn Reversed Runes. So the Rune of Healing Reversed would become a Body Drain while the Rune of Lightning Reversed would become Armour which only worked against Lightning or perhaps Energy.

Anyway you can have a Rune of just about anything.

Rune of Mists. Darkness to Sight Group X" Radius, Trigger, X rounds.

Rune of Roads. + 10 to Running, Reduced Endurance 0 End, Trigger, X rounds, Only When In Contact With A Paved Surface.

Rune of Vines. X Level Entangle, Limited Power Takes Double Damage From Fire, Trigger.

Rune of Blades. Aid X Killing Attacks, Conditional Power Only Applies to Edged Weapons, Trigger, X rounds.

Let's see...there's Befuddle, Binding, Bladesharp (1-6), Bludgeon (1-6), Coordination, Countermagic (1-6), Darkwall, Demoralize, Detect Detection, Detect Enemies, Detect Gems, Detect Gold, Detect Life, Detect Magic, Detect Silver, Detect Traps, Detect Undead, Detection Blank (1-6), Dispel Magic (1-6), Disruption, Dullblade (1-6), Extinguish, Fanatacism (1-6), Farsee, Firearrow, Fireblade, Glamour, Glue, Harmonize, Healing (1-6), Ignite, Invisibility, Ironhand (1-6), Light, Lightwall, Mindspeech (1-6), Mobility, Multimissile (1-6), Protection, Repair, Shimmer (1-6), Silence, Speedart, Spirit Binding, Spirit Shield (1-6), Strength, Vigor, and Xenohealing (1-6).

At least that's how RuneQuest did it back in Olden Times.

How come there's never a rune of "Getting Along Peacefully" or "Abundant Crop-Growing?" You'd think those would be more useful to actual pre-modern peoples. :)

(I'd opt for the rune of "Tasty, Frothy Beer" myself...)

In general, one would expect a rune to do one of two things:

1. Imbue the object/person it's scribbled on with magical properties, e.g. sharpness, strength, speed, toughness, clairvoyance, etc.

2. Cause an effect in an area around where it is scribbled, such as warding, cursing, suppression, change environment, and so on.

Runes that can be "activated" could probably be built with a trigger or even charges. I'd like to see some kind of quasi-magical activation process special effect, though, like having to trace it with a finger or smear blood on it. Pressing the rune-button on switch doesn't really do it for me.

Well Chris-M the thread is called 'Combat Runes' which would explain why the selection so far has not been very cuddly.

However, just for you.

Rune of Ale. Minor Transform 1d6. Water into Frothing Beer. Trigger. 1 Recoverable Charge.

Rune Magic that creates beer. Probably invented by a Dwarven Archmage.

Rune of Peace. Major Transform 2d6. Normal Person Into Person With Code Against Killing/Violence. Trigger. 1 Recoverable Charge.

Well Chris-M the thread is called 'Combat Runes' which would explain why the selection so far has not been very cuddly.]

*grumble!* I hate it when I blow my RIF roll. :mad: *grumble!*

However, excellent non-combat runes! :)

These are permanent runes (in my case) so time and cover is the limit. Armor can only have so many etchings (maybe the magic interferes with each other). If they are tattoos then you only have so many spaces for ink, ect...

These are permanent runes (in my case) so time and cover is the limit. Armor can only have so many etchings (maybe the magic interferes with each other). If they are tattoos then you only have so many spaces for ink' date=' ect...[/quote']

Back in 1999 there was a game put out by Planetscape called TORMENT where the primary figure was clad in various tattoos. Only a few of these worked at a time with the others, and of course (being an rpg game) they were all pretty much interchangeable.

Which brings the limiting factor to the forefront; are they tattoos, or are they runes on a sword? Same effects, just different paths.

Rune of Surprise: Teleport 1", Position Shift, - to the other side of your foe, and then strike him unexpectedly from behind.

Rune of Rage: Absorption, flavor to taste - You hit me, that just makes me more effective at hitting you back.

Rune of Awareness: 360 Degree Vision - keep track of all your foes and the status of your allies.

Rune of Courage: +X PRE (or Aid to PRE), Only for making/resisting PRE Attacks, including to encourage your friends.

Rune of Second Wind: Aid/Healing to END, for those long battles.

Rune of Tactics: Detect Opponents' Threat Level, Range, Discriminatory, (maybe Analyze) - Determines who's the toughest warrior and who is just fodder.

For limiting the maximum nuber of runes, look at the Delayed Effect Advantage.

• 2 weeks later...

These are permanent runes (in my case) so time and cover is the limit. Armor can only have so many etchings (maybe the magic interferes with each other). If they are tattoos then you only have so many spaces for ink' date=' ect...[/quote']

I ran into an in game problem with runes: The focus issue. Carving a rune of say "fearsome damage" (+1d6 hka) on a sword is great. Lets you add damage with that sword. But not with any other sword. The obvious thing to do is put the rune on the back of your hand, then it works with any weapon, but it is no longer technically a focus.

It also encourages captors to partially flay or amputate any captives for fear of some oddball tattoo being a rune they've never seen before. Not that orcs need that much encouragement, mind you, but the point is still valid: How much ransom is 3/4 of a captured noble worth? :hush:

The problem is that, in rune magic campaigns, tattoos encourage mutilation. Suggestions?

Midas

I ran into an in game problem with runes: The focus issue. Carving a rune of say "fearsome damage" (+1d6 hka) on a sword is great. Lets you add damage with that sword. But not with any other sword. The obvious thing to do is put the rune on the back of your hand, then it works with any weapon, but it is no longer technically a focus.

It also encourages captors to partially flay or amputate any captives for fear of some oddball tattoo being a rune they've never seen before. Not that orcs need that much encouragement, mind you, but the point is still valid: How much ransom is 3/4 of a captured noble worth? :hush:

The problem is that, in rune magic campaigns, tattoos encourage mutilation. Suggestions?

Midas

Try not to get captured? This is a problem in Runequest, where captured foes are usually mutilated - at least a little - to mess up their tattoos. You don't need to whack the whole hand off, but making a couple of cuts was definately in order.

This fact is why some people actually prefer to put the rune on the item, rather than on themselves....

cheers, Mark

Midas

It strikes me as somewhat out of concept for a rune that enhances a weapon to be placed as a tattoo on the hand that wields the weapon, rather than the weapon itself. It should enhance the hand, not the weapon, which could result in a Midas-type effect: everyone you touch takes 1d6 Killing, even if you just want to shake hands, and you do 1d6 K to yourself if you scratch your chin with that hand (or touch any other parts of your own body :eek:).

If that's a problem, but it's still OK to put the rune on something other than the sword, why not put it on a glove? Then you get the bonus when weilding the weapon with the hand wearing that glove. But of course, this gets even farther removed from the concept of rune magic. The glove isn't even providing the strength or skill in weilding the weapon.

And what if it's a two-handed weapon? Do you need the tattoo on both hands?

And who is placing the tattoo on your hand? You? How? You either have to place the tattoo on your off-hand, or you have to place the tattoo *with* your off-hand. Or else you have to get someone else to place the tattoo on your hand. Can you really draw the rune precisely with your off hand? Or do you want to wield the weapon with an off-hand penalty?

It strikes me as somewhat out of concept for a rune that enhances a weapon to be placed as a tattoo on the hand that wields the weapon' date=' rather than the weapon itself. It should enhance the hand, not the weapon, which could result in a Midas-type effect: everyone you touch takes 1d6 Killing, even if you just want to shake hands, and you do 1d6 K to yourself if you scratch your chin with that hand (or touch any other parts of your own body :eek:). [/quote']

Speaking for the charisma challenged: "Ow." :hush:

:D BTW, I've managed, over the centuries, to buy off that nasty always on limitation. Now it only works by touching my donkey ears. :king:

If that's a problem, but it's still OK to put the rune on something other than the sword, why not put it on a glove? Then you get the bonus when weilding the weapon with the hand wearing that glove. But of course, this gets even farther removed from the concept of rune magic. The glove isn't even providing the strength or skill in weilding the weapon.

And what if it's a two-handed weapon? Do you need the tattoo on both hands?

And who is placing the tattoo on your hand? You? How? You either have to place the tattoo on your off-hand, or you have to place the tattoo *with* your off-hand. Or else you have to get someone else to place the tattoo on your hand. Can you really draw the rune precisely with your off hand? Or do you want to wield the weapon with an off-hand penalty?

OK, lets go back to the "source of magic" section of FH. Is the power of the rune in the rune, or the caster?

You support the former, while I was going for the latter. (I'll expand on this below).

Lets use our 1d6 HKA rune for rhetoric.

Yes, if the magic is inherent in the rune, then the location of the rune is critical. An active rune on someone's glove would make the glove a "Glove of Punching" or some such. And this is what the runecaster magic system in the book implies.

What I consider a rune to be is more the visual equivalent of a mantra. Someone who uses a rune learns, understands, comprehends the concept that the rune represents. The rune itself is more of a variable limitation than a true focus. The caster may concentrate, and bring forth the power of the rune, or he can use the carved rune as visual shorthand of what the rune represents. The rune itself is just a carving, of no power in and of itself.

two cents from the hoard of,

Midas

Speaking for the charisma challenged: "Ow." :hush:

:D BTW, I've managed, over the centuries, to buy off that nasty always on limitation. Now it only works by touching my donkey ears. :king:

:o I guess that's what happens when you don't pay attention to names. When I said, "Midas-like" I didn't mean it personally! :whistle::angel:

OK, lets go back to the "source of magic" section of FH. Is the power of the rune in the rune, or the caster?

Well, I was thinking more along the lines that the rune enhances the item that it's carved on. Which is not to say that yours or anyone else's interpretation is wrong. I was just throwing out some ideas to think about, depending on the feel you want for the game. And that includes some thematic justification for not allowing, or putting restrictions on, tattooing runes onto yourself.

What I consider a rune to be is more the visual equivalent of a mantra. Someone who uses a rune learns, understands, comprehends the concept that the rune represents. The rune itself is more of a variable limitation than a true focus. The caster may concentrate, and bring forth the power of the rune, or he can use the carved rune as visual shorthand of what the rune represents. The rune itself is just a carving, of no power in and of itself.

Which is a fine interpretation as well. After all, we're talking about magic. One can always make the argument that, "I've never seen rune magic work in any other way."

But I certainly wouldn't allow a tattoo to take a focus limitation.

:o I guess that's what happens when you don't pay attention to names. When I said' date=' "Midas-like" I didn't mean it personally! :whistle::angel:[/quote']

Not to worry. I chose the moniker because I only took 1D6 on my wisdom stat. :doi: Can't buy it up since changing systems since Hero doesn't have wisdom stats. :D I've put all my experience into KS: Obscure RPGs. :rolleyes:

A few years back a correspondent confused "auric" with "aural" and asked if I had "Golden Touchy Ears." The mental picture was too absurd not to add to the Midas mythos. :drink:

Which is a fine interpretation as well. After all, we're talking about magic. One can always make the argument that, "I've never seen rune magic work in any other way."

The big dif, as I see it, is that my way doesn't allow the IND limit, while yours almost requires it. You could make it a personal or restricted universal focus, but it would be hard to justify the "I put the 'Rune of Forcefield' on this castle, protecting it from the strongest catapult" without taking the IND limit.

Is this a good or a bad thing? Should runes be independent, or should they be considered similar to potions?

But I certainly wouldn't allow a tattoo to take a focus limitation.

In all seriousness, what would you call it? For ex Marvel has a weird villain, The Tattooed Man IIRC, who's powers were all based on his tattoos (I very vaguely recall him peeling an anchor off and throwing it at She Hulk -very very vaguely).

Midas