Banned Supplement For Sale

AndyM

Re: Banned Supplement For Sale

I don't know if it was actually banned. But it is considered by many to be about the worst written adventure for Champions. It is story that generally railroads the players down the storyline. Never read it myself but that is what I have heard.

That in itself makes it a collectors item of sorts. Not many were made or sold so it has a bit of Hero System history attached to it.

That's a bad thing?

It involves going back in time to save hitler's life, so that he can die at the appropriate time because the world was better for him being in it...or so I have heard

Basicaly Banned I think might be a bad choice of words, from what I understand there was a voluntary recall that has made it scarce, of course scarce raises prices, which effects what people value it at...

personaly I want it for my collection for curiosity sake more than any desire to run it

all information about the module is second hand, and my interpretation, none of it is neccesarily true BTW

I don't know if it was actually banned. But it is considered by many to be about the worst written adventure for Champions. It is story that generally railroads the players down the storyline. Never read it myself but that is what I have heard.

Just to be fair, there are many who disagree with that assessment, myself included. IMO WotV needs careful handling by the GM, and players who are receptive to darker, morally-ambiguous scenarios; but with the right group it can make for some excellent roleplaying. I also learned quite a bit from its example of "flowchart" plotting and tips for running mystery adventures.

WotV wasn't ever banned outright, but some protests to the distributor about the subject matter (that it apologised for or condoned Nazism and the Holocaust, which IMO is totally unfounded), prompted Hero Games to recall the module's initial print run.

The adventure has come up for discussion on these forums several times over the years. Here's the most recent example: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65794

I read WotV a couple of months ago (thanks to Lord Mhoram for the lend, by the way) and determined that it was nowhere near as deserving of scorn as it's typically been represented. YMMV, of course.

As a side note, I have to admit that the first thing I thought when I saw the title of this thread was, "Somebody's selling Ephedra on the Hero Boards?" :eek:

I am in a game where the GM used "Wings" module. It was a total railroad. As for the flow of play it was terrible. But we got through it, and I actually had a little bit of fun with it. Would I NOT recommend it for others to play.

The proposed alternate history it has is very, very, very, unlikely (did I mention VERY unlikely???).

You could easily find the module offensive, especially if you were or had a relative who was a victim of the Nazi's.

I think the module must be GM'd well. The alternate history needs to give the heroes a reason - and a heroic one - to want the old timeline back. Certainly, the subject matter could have a distasteful nature - any scenario with a real moral dilemma will have some unsettling issues.

As to the unlikeliness of the alternate history, frankly the real one takes some odd twists and turns. It's as reasonable as many the comics have presented.

Railroading? Maybe. I think a GM running a moral dilemma with major consequences has to be prepared for the consequences - even if they are "we leave the alternate timeline in place" - of the players' choices. Really, is it railroading to expect the PC's to stop the alien invasion rather than, say, sit this one out or sell out to the New Alien Overlords? Is it railroading to expect them to (attempt to) defeat the Master Villain du Jour before he DESTROYS THE WORLD!, rather than sit this one out and see what the NPC teams do?

Too often, complaints of railroading seem to be "I didn't like our choices" or "he expected some co-operation to make a decent game - how dare he not consider my character for his hard-bitten globe trotting mercenaries game might be a pacifist who wants to stay home and run his tea shop in Podunk?"

Well like I said I haven't read it and was just going on what I have heard.

Based on what I have heard here I kind of wish I had a copy. But not enough to pay very much for it.

I'll have to loan you the copy I just bought off Trebuchet.

I personally don't find it to be that bad of a scenerio, but I don't run adventures right from script.

I look at them as script outlines that I use to get plot elements to internleave into my games.

TB