Whoo-Hoo! Atlantean Age Is Mine!

Theron

Re: Whoo-Hoo! Atlantean Age Is Mine!

I finally crossed paths with my buddy who picked up a copy for me at GenCon. I've only had a chance to page through it, but this looks freakin' sweet!

(Deeper review to follow. I'm just glad it's finally in my hands.)

I liked it. It's power level is definitely the feel I was going for for Edean. Scaling from wee to Epic.

When I flipped through it and saw a 1200+ pt NPC in Fantasy Hero, I knew I was in the right place. I doubt I'll use it as-is, but it's pretty much exactly what I need as a foundation for the Epic Mythology On Steroids And Crank Game Jones that Exalted couldn't deliver.

Sharna-Gorak is 1,900 points.

The 1,200 point guy is Cormar The Mighty.

Sharna is a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure. Depending on how he's used he could give some of the CU Master Villains a run for their money. I still might put my money on Takofanes though, depending on how Sharna is played out. I'm not sure Gravitar could take him. Dr. Destroyer probably could.

Most of his power lies inside a massive VPP, so it'd be in the hands of the creativity of the person controlling him.

I expect most customers rarely use any of our books as-is. ;) Gaming tends to be a very individualistic hobby... which is really one of its strengths.

Oh absolutely. That wasn't meant to be a criticism. For as long as I've been gaming, I never expect to use anything as-written. I'm far too idiosyncratic. :D

I never expect to use anything as-written. I'm far too idiosyncratic.

I think most gamers -- especially ones smart and creative enough to use the HERO System :hex: -- could say the same. That's one of the biggest obstacles to trying to succeed as a game publisher: there isn't just one gaming market. There are a thousand gaming markets, and you have to try to come up with something that appeals to enough of them to sell well.

But, it beats unloading trucks for a living. ;)

Well I have orderred: The Atlantean Age, Book of the Destroyer, and Monster Island. I just have to have it all that is HS V5...!!! Now HS V6 I am yet unsure of and will reserve judgement till it is actually out.

I can't wait to get them all in my hands and read them all. I can always use more resource materials for my library.

Penn

Having done a basic read through, I love the content, but I don't especially care for the layout. It was somewhat harder on the eyes. I would have payed an extra 5 or 10 bucks for a larger book with the more traditional Hero layout. But that is a minor quibble.

The content is excellent, and that is what I buy the books for.

The layout is making it easier for me to read.

The three column format makes some of the information - especially in Chapter Three - seem much more organized. And the Character sheets definitely look much better in this format than the older format. The write-ups are nearly as cluttered.

Though, I kinda wonder why PS238 and AtA were done in this new format, but Monster Island and BotD were not (both came out after PS238 was done). Odd.

Because I'm not happy with the way long/large character sheets look in the three-column format. Until Andy and I find a way to deal with that problem' date=' we're going back to the two-column method.[/quote']

Do'h! I liked 'em.

Well, except sometimes the Disads/Description go in that "last" column before the sheet is done . . . that was weird.

Maybe sections with Character Sheets could be two column? Because the three column format I definitely like better for text. Especially lots of text.

Dude, they're like totally selling it in the online store. In PDF too.

Or is it that real life expenses are getting in the way of important things like expanding your RPG library?

I can sympathise with that.

Yeah, it's on its way to my new place of employment (the FLGS) in the meantime I am convincing the Department of Finance (read wife) that this would be a wonderful piece of research material for our company. :)

Guest Worldmaker

Because I'm not happy with the way long/large character sheets look in the three-column format. Until Andy and I find a way to deal with that problem' date=' we're going back to the two-column method.[/quote']

Not to be the party pooper or anything, but I haven't ever liked any of the company-produced character sheets, but I do give you credit for making an effort...

• 2 months later...

A question or three about the book proper:

Does it cover the remnants of the nonhuman races we were told about in other HG books, who are supposed to be on the side of Gorak?

Myself, I'd like to run an 'Island of Macumeran' with 'wolf people' in the setting.

Also, are there any tie-ins to the greater history of the HG-Verse?

Thanks for any answers.

Guest Admiral C

I got my copy a few weeks ago. The three column look doesn't really do it for me because I'm used to single in and two column in other rpg products. The character sheets look like they have too much empty space. I dunno, just a thought.