Darth Vader vs. The Hulk

Ken Solo

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Darth Vader vs. The Hulk

I question if Hulk actually has enough IQ to find Jar Jar annoying. And it is not like Jar Jar is likely to whomp him hard enough to be considered an enemy (except maybe by accident - a MAJOR accident, at that!). After all, JJB is about as pathetically goofy and incompetent as a biped could possibly get - and STILL be able to walk (semi)upright. Which is probably why he ended up as a Senator in the Old Republic.

Been numerous instances where the Hulk has chosen to befriend especially pathetic / goofy / incompetent beings instead of whaling on them.

If he can hang out with Rick Jones and the "Teen Brigade" without stomping them into toe jam, he shouldn't have any problem with Jar Jar. I think Hulk has total immunity to annoying sidekicks.

If he can hang out with Rick Jones and the "Teen Brigade" without stomping them into toe jam' date=' he shouldn't have any problem with Jar Jar. I think Hulk has total immunity to annoying sidekicks.[/quote']

How do we write this highly-valuable power up in Hero terms? Extra PRE and EGO, only to avoid being angered by moronic sidekick?

Guest Admiral C

Somebody let me know if they ever find a pic of a gamma irradiated Darth Hulk, complete with ripped armor, primitive helmet, and lightsaber/club. :D

Why is everyone assuming Jar Jar is unlucky? Especially for his companions? As I recall' date=' Binks was clumsy himself, he didn't make others clumsy.[/quote']

Clumsy and oblivious. Binks doesn't realize that say sitting on the self destruct button is a bad thing.

"Me-se sorry big green friend got blown out airlock when me-se leaned against opening panel, but not so sorry Little Ani got away." (Now there is an interesting thought. Jar Jar deliberately helping his old friend...) :sneaky:

BTW, I'm on record for this extreme Midasism: Jar Jar is the only thing that made episode 1 watchable. Hey, it's a Donkey Ear thing. :o

Midas

Clumsy and oblivious. Binks doesn't realize that say sitting on the self destruct button is a bad thing.

"Me-se sorry big green friend got blown out airlock when me-se leaned against opening panel, but not so sorry Little Ani got away." (Now there is an interesting thought. Jar Jar deliberately helping his old friend...) :sneaky:

BTW, I'm on record for this extreme Midasism: Jar Jar is the only thing that made episode 1 watchable. Hey, it's a Donkey Ear thing. :o

Midas

You know, now that I think about it, Jar Jar was actually very lucky. I mean, he basicly stumbles his way into nearly winning a big battle completely by accident.

You know' date=' now that I think about it, Jar Jar was actually very lucky. I mean, he basicly stumbles his way into nearly winning a big battle completely by accident.[/quote']

To say nothing of the key role he plays (in Ep3) of bringing down the Republic (for which I cannot thank him enough). Especially considering just how little he actually says in that movie.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I like Star Wars, being able to fight at FTL speeds gives the victory to the Star Trek ships, period.

Would that be Starfleet Battles ships? I don't remember anything from any of the series suggesting that the ships in Star Trek can fight at FTL speeds, and the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual states on page 128, first sentence, that "The tactical value of phaser energy at warp velocities, and indeed high relativistic velocities, is close to none."

Photon torpedoes can be launched at warp speed, of course, but we also have to keep in mind that photon torpedoes are weak weapons by Star Wars standards, and EXTREMELY slow by Star Wars standards.

Of course, the Star Trek Universe material contradicts itself multiple times on virtually every point.

But yes, in SFB most ships fight at warp speed. It also occurs a lot in various series in the chase sequences, not to mention the movies...

Besides, starship weaponry is obviously effective at warp speed. Otherwise, a pursued enemy would be invulnerable so long as they kept running. That takes a lot of the drama out of the chase sequences, doesn't it? :D Besides, if a pursued ship was invulnerable, what would be the point of chasing it in the first place?

Since these warp-speed chases occur all the time, then obviously the weapons are effective at warp speed, regardless of what any technical manual says.

First: I did acknowledge that photon torpedoes can be used at warp.

Second: it's easy to make inferrences--can you cite specific examples of Star Trek combat taking place at warp?

Third, given the HUGE difference in FTL speeds between the Star Trek ships and the Star Wars ships, the Trek ships will never get within weapons range unless the Wars ships want them to.

First: I did acknowledge that photon torpedoes can be used at warp.

Second: it's easy to make inferrences--can you cite specific examples of Star Trek combat taking place at warp?

Third, given the HUGE difference in FTL speeds between the Star Trek ships and the Star Wars ships, the Trek ships will never get within weapons range unless the Wars ships want them to.

How's that? Star Wars ships have to pre-plot a course to use there FLT travel, and cannot easily deviate from that course. Star Trek ships can go multiple times the speed of light and can change direction, do combat manuevers, etcetera at any level of Warp speed. I'd say Star Trek has the obvious advantage in FLT over Star Wars.

Star Wars ships can travel across the galaxy in a matter of hours. If Voyager had had a Star Wars hyperdrive system, it would have been back home in time for dinner.

Star Trek ships can go multiple times the speed of light and can change direction, do combat manuevers, etcetera at any level of Warp speed.

Chakotay: "What's the first thing they teach you about warp piloting?"

Paris: "Faster than light, no left or right?"

'Journey To Babel' (TOS) for one - a number of hit-and-run attacks made at warp speed, AND the eventual endgame when the Enterprise (which has dropped to sublight) hits and significantly damages a hostile ship inbound at high warp - and no indication that this is an achievment previously considered impossible.

Also, in the animated series. Not everybody accepts this as part of Trek lore, but I do, so there .... Specifically, 'The Counter-Clock Incident'. Enterprise is orbiting a star when it detects and SUCCESSFULLY LOCKS A TRACTOR BEAM ON a small ship travelling at the previously considered impossible speed of Warp Factor 36(!).

Third' date=' given the HUGE difference in FTL speeds between the Star Trek ships and the Star Wars ships, the Trek ships will never get within weapons range unless the Wars ships want them to.[/quote']

The 'Star Wars' hyperdrive requires preparation time to plot a course beforehand, and there is nothing to suggest that the preplotted return to normal space can be changed. Quite the opposite. Yoiu goof on the set-up, there are no tap-backs - you and your entire ship could be very dead.

Furthermore, inferences cut both ways.

One can "infer" that SW weapons and shielding cannot work in hyperspace. Ships using the ST warp drive can pretty much bounce in and out of warp as they please - which suggests that they can at least get a shot or two in as the targets pass by at high speed. Targets incapable of evasion, raising shields or even making minor course alterations.

the eventual endgame when the Enterprise (which has dropped to sublight) hits and significantly damages a hostile ship inbound at high warp

So what's to stop the Star Wars ships from doing that?

I'm going to drop this argument before it turns flamey and point to http://www.stardestroyer.net. Feel free to have the last word! I'll also ask a question which confuses me:

Why do some people have such an emotional investment in believing that Star Trek ships can easily defeat Star Wars ships? Why does it matter? How does it reflect on the quality or moral value of either franchise?

So what's to stop the Star Wars ships from doing that??

How about ... absolutely no indication, or even a hint thereof, that they have EVER been able to do this particular move.

I'm going to drop this argument before it turns flamey and point to http://www.stardestroyer.net. Feel free to have the last word! I'll also ask a question which confuses me:

Why do some people have such an emotional investment in believing that Star Trek ships can easily defeat Star Wars ships? Why does it matter? How does it reflect on the quality or moral value of either franchise?

One could ask the opposite of that. Why is it so important for you to "prove" that ST ships would be defeated by SW vessels?

But , dropping the whole argument seems like a very good idea to me. So let's.

Guest steamteck

Would that be Starfleet Battles ships? I don't remember anything from any of the series suggesting that the ships in Star Trek can fight at FTL speeds, and the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual states on page 128, first sentence, that "The tactical value of phaser energy at warp velocities, and indeed high relativistic velocities, is close to none."

Photon torpedoes can be launched at warp speed, of course, but we also have to keep in mind that photon torpedoes are weak weapons by Star Wars standards, and EXTREMELY slow by Star Wars standards.

I don't remember the episode but I definitely remember a scene where the warp drive was out and secretly put back online and they suddenly powered up and Kirk said "pivot at Warp 2"